• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So is France apparently. Are they in civil war or have Anjou, Aquitaine, et al gained independence? Also, Anjou getting involved in Iberia makes carving out your own empire there more difficult. I'm guessing Oberto's next move is pressing a ducal claim on Valencia.

Holland's usurpation of the Emperor reminds me: when does the Kingdom of Sicily plan on forging its own destiny outside of the HRE?

They are all free from France. As for destiny, I'm patient.

Is the emperor now actually dutch or did he convert to german ?
If he's dutch, then hopefully he hangs on to his pipe, wondering what all the erupting trouble is about ? Peace, maaaan. ;)

I think he is Dutch.

There was a screenshot of the Emperor losing a war and was sent back to his Duchy: Holland.
If I recall correctly it was the one where Adelheid became the Emperess for a very short time. Maybe he (the old Emperor) or his son pressed his claims?
Now if only someone can find the screenshot in question...:happy:

That's possible...

I'm just hoping that Chiaffredo meets his doom soon ... then you can call him Ciao Freddo (appeals to me anyway)

pity the Pope is so impatient

No killing off my kids (without reason)...

Chapter 27 - Oberto the Holy

May 4, 1143: The pope harasses me again about the heresy in Pavia. We continue force converting.

In July, Berto di Parma gets caught plotting to institute Succession by Seniority. Sorry, I'm not into oldfartocracy.

27-Seniority.jpg

And the pope harasses me again in July...

Oberto's brother comes of age in October. He will be my chancellor, and marry a Norwegian Princess. He has the proper beard for it.

27-Annibale.jpg

In June 1144, Oberto's eldest daughter Marcella comes of age. Sadly, there's no good dynastic marriages out there, so she gets a matrilineal marriage to an awesome warrior. Folkhard becomes my new marshal.

27-Marshal.jpg

Mauritania suffers from some revolts, so I decide to declare war on one of the revolters to take Asturias in August.

27-DoWforAsturias.jpg

Some quick assaults net me a new duchy in May 1145, seeing as my victim never got his armies nearby. The counties are handed off to Oberto's brother, Annibale. I can't usurp the duchy title while he's still at war.

27-Asturiaspeace.jpg

That didn't take long. I double check his dynasty to see if he's a Crovan.

27-Annibaleplot.jpg

Cordoba revolts from Beja. The Emperor declares war on them in January 1146, forcing me to declare war to get there first. It's kinda funny being at war with someone twice. I am at war with Kabylia too for no reason I can remember.

27-Spain.jpg

The Cathar heresy spreads again, making me realize that I forgot to actually send my chaplain to convert Pavia after the last one died. I send the chaplain now.

27-Catharspreads.jpg

In August, I'm finally able to usurp the Duchy of Asturias and give it to Annibale. Yeah, he's a traitor, but maybe giving him the duchy will shut him up.

27-Annibaleduchy.jpg

In January 1147, someone plots to kill my son. I tell them to knock it off. I decide against imprisoning them, because I'm bored with handing prisoners.

27-PlotonChiaffredo.jpg

In June, Cordoba surrenders, allowing me to hand the duchy to Lutbert di Parma.

27-Cordobapeace.jpg

Handing off the bishoprics gives Oberto enough piety to fulfill his ambition of becoming a Paragon of Virtue. He is now known as King Oberto the Holy.

27-Paragon.jpg

Folkhard becomes my new marshal.

An excellent choice too. Anyone who is folking hard will make a brilliant marshal.

Very good stuff. Nice to see continued progress in Iberia, gobbling up various rebellious states. However the continued progress of the Cathar heresy is not good. It is the wrong one of your AARs for that!

He has a claim on your title. He and his children will only be trouble down the road. That's why I tend to give baronies to my other male children, and duchies to my heir instead of spreading it equally.

Life is trouble.

Oh I see! Makes sense. Still, I can't help thinking they won't leave Holland alone forever.

Possible.

I like the idea of marrying someone on the basis of their beard, you could build a fascinating dynasty and set of national prejudices on that basis

Is there any other reason?

An excellent choice too. Anyone who is folking hard will make a brilliant marshal.

Very good stuff. Nice to see continued progress in Iberia, gobbling up various rebellious states. However the continued progress of the Cathar heresy is not good. It is the wrong one of your AARs for that!

Folkhard works best with a title. Folkhard the Great! Folkhard the Devil! Folkhard the Lame!

Finally after 3 iterations this Oberto will go to Heaven! Though for every province he gains from infidels another one falls to heresy...

Hey now! Oberto I obviously went to heaven after becoming a multimillionaire with several best-selling relationship and parenting books.

Chapter 28 - Expansion in Spain

It may shock everyone to learn that Oberto's next ambition is to Amass Wealth. Meanwhile, Mauretania suffers a rash of revolts.

28-Mauretaniarevolts.jpg

For those that say that stats other than stewardship are pointless - the ability to tell vassals to get bent diplomatically cannot be underestimated. In this case, I think he wanted to be King. Hah.

28-GetBent.jpg

In December, Pavia finally converts, and the chaplain moves on to Lombardia. Meanwhile, everyone declares war on Zaragosa.

28-Zaragosa.jpg

In January 1148, Oberto finally declares war on the County of Benevento, to press the claim of Prince Botolf. Unfortunately, I couldn't get a claimant for the whole duchy. The war is boring and ends a year later. The nice part is that the Duchy of Benevento is a 2 county duchy, so I usurp it and hand it to Botolf.

28-Benevento.jpg

The Emperor declares war on Mauretania for Galicia in January 1149, so we follow suit. My goal is to completely control Spain (and grab the 4 King titles there - Leon, Aragon, Castille, and Portugal)

28-DoWGalicia.jpg

Lombardia converts in July. Meanwhile, Oberto shows off his patience while crushing 4 men with an army of 2200. (This is fixed in 1.04, where events won't happen in the first 3 days.)

28-Patien.jpg

I haven't yet been the victim of a plot...until now.

28-PlotforSicily.jpg

Well that looks like it could get ugly for you. btw, 'patient' is not an adjective I ever thought would apply to any Oberto. Mind you, I could say the same about "holy".

Finally took the time to sit down and catch up with this, it's good fun!

I love seeing the Italians invade Spain for a change instead of vice versa. I'll have to keep this AAR in mind as well for anyone who is struggling as a new player to learn the ropes!

Well that looks like it could get ugly for you. btw, 'patient' is not an adjective I ever thought would apply to any Oberto. Mind you, I could say the same about "holy".

I believe the traits in CK2 are relative.

its not fair that someone plots against you ... how powerful is Jakob's fan club?

2 single-duchy dukes and 3 counts, not terribly powerful.

At least it was nice of him to warn you first...

True...

Wow...but you will handle that for sure ;).

Btw, your generic dynasty CoA is pretty ugly :D.

A lot of the smaller dynasty CoAs are pig-ugly.

That's an unsavoury group of traitors.

Oberto III, patient and Holy, will win.

I prefer to think of them as loyalty challenged. And he will deal with them in a patient and holy manner.

Finally took the time to sit down and catch up with this, it's good fun!

I love seeing the Italians invade Spain for a change instead of vice versa. I'll have to keep this AAR in mind as well for anyone who is struggling as a new player to learn the ropes!

Thank you! The key here is that since I'm in the HRE, no one dares attack me (except my vassals).

Chapter 29 - The Virtuous di Parma family

One of the fun features of CK2 is that when a vassal declares war on you, he doesn't return home if he's currently leading troops in your army. Here, my traitorous count is helpfully besieging Santiago for me against Mauretania.

29-JakobSantiago.jpg

Oberto patiently pauses, sends his Marshal to Santiago (my chance is 36% without my marshal, 62% with), and patiently sends in some holy assassins.

29-JakobAssassinfails.jpg

29-JakobAssassinsucceeds.jpg

Cheap, I know, but I didn't feel like playing whack-a-mole right then. The peasants in Toledo smell a rat, however...unfortunately, their timing is somewhat lacking.

29-Toledorevolt.jpg

29-Toledorebelssquashed.jpg

Oberto gets another point of stewardship in October 1150 from Amassing Wealth. This opens up a plot to kill Lord Mayor Philipp of Genoa. Unfortunately for Philipp, he's pissed off his spymaster. Never piss off your spymaster.

29-PlotagainstGenoa.jpg

Meanwhile, someone asks me to help whack Prince Stefan. They never ask unless you dislike them, so I join in for a bit.

29-PlotagainstStefan.jpg

With my plot power of 1160%, Philipp is toast.

29-Philippdies.jpg

I go to look at ambitions, and my only 4 options are to join the Kaiser's council. Instead, I spend all my money so that I can Amass Wealth again.

In April 1151, Kaiser Adolf wrests the Duchy of Castilla from Mauretania - exactly what I didn't want. My war for Galicia is still ongoing, stuck at 55% war score.

Meanwhile, business as usual: a family member plots to kill my son,

29-PlotagainstChiaffredo.jpg

another family member tries to kill yet another family member,

29-ToledoAssassination.jpg

and Oberto takes the war very seriously.

29-Tournament.jpg

Hey now, I only whacked one family member.

Maybe the devs need to add mechanics where you lose titles if you do certain things - lose too much piety, and you lose Holy, for example.

Hey now, I only whacked one family member

I was glossing over the extra special not "really very holy" aspect of also killing a family member in that wee spree ...

but yes some sort of trait loss would be neat, so if you get the title 'the fat' then a serious programme of wars in mountain provinces should slim you down