• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Jaol

Kapudan Pasha
56 Badges
Jan 24, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sengoku
  • Semper Fi
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • For the Motherland
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Victoria 2 Beta
  • Pride of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
IN DEVELOPMENT

The idea for this mod is to add more jobs for the council members. The core of the mod is change to the UI that makes room for every council member to have 4 jobs. Below a screenshot of the council screen. All of the council members have 4 jobs, most using a placeholder graphic.

2012030800001.jpg

Here is a stand-along version of the UI mod, with "blank" new jobs for the councilors and placeholder graphics/localizations for all of them: View attachment More Council Jobs.zip It is compatible with v1.04. Feel free to use it in other mods. Be aware, however, that the AI will not use the new jobs.

I'd also like to work up some versions of the mod with defined new jobs. Any suggestions you have, no matter how half-baked would be great. Since I'm a fan of avee's better rebels mod, I'm planning on making at least one version of this mod that is compatible with it, and so I'm thinking that some of the jobs will tie-in to the rebel system. So far, we've got these ideas:

Chancellor: negotiate with rebels (tied in to the better rebels)
Marshal: organize supply (raise supply limits)
Steward: quarantine province (raises disease defense) -need to test how this works
Spymaster: protect against assassins (lowers assassination chance) lower plot discovery -need to test how this works
Lord Spiritual: prosecute heresy, assist culture change

Last edited:
Awesome!

Is it possible for the Spymaster to actually "hide" the plot you're in? To make it more difficult to be discovered?

Would you consider distributing this? I've been interested in adding additional councillor actions.

For the court chaplain: how about actively prosecuting known heretics, either in court or in your jail, to forcefully convert them or send them to the stake?

Would you consider distributing this? I've been interested in adding additional councillor actions.
Of course. I'll be posting versions of it as the mod gets more developed. But if it's helpful in its current state, feel free to use it. View attachment Job Interface.zip

For the court chaplain: how about actively prosecuting known heretics, either in court or in your jail, to forcefully convert them or send them to the stake?
Great idea.

Is it possible for the Spymaster to actually "hide" the plot you're in? To make it more difficult to be discovered?
I'm not sure, but I'll definitely test that.

By the way, does anyone know how the AI decides what jobs to use? For jobs that have no immediate effects, does the AI look at the events associated with each job?

Jaol, great idea for a mod.

I like that. Might want to limit the subject of the conversion to someone in your court, or involve someone in your prison. Chance for forcible conversion could be based on an equation that includes CC's learning, and the zealous and cruel traits. Wouldn't be rushed, either, so it has a realworld reason not to be spammed.

Last edited:
Of course. I'll be posting versions of it as the mod gets more developed. But if it's helpful in its current state, feel free to use it. View attachment 49657

Yeah, I was mainly looking for the interface bit as I have my own ideas. Thank you, I'll be sure to credit you if I end up using it.

Great ideas and elegant implementation! This might prove to be very useful!

Yeah, I was mainly looking for the interface bit as I have my own ideas. Thank you, I'll be sure to credit you if I end up using it.

FYI, the way the files work is fairly self-explanatory, but I may be able to save you a little time.

The job_actions file lists the various jobs in no particular order.
The job_titles file list the jobs for each council position in the order you want them to appear. If you have fewer jobs here, then there will be a blank circle where that button would normally be, but it's fine.
The domestic_court.gfx file matches whatever name you gave your new job, say "action_testing" to a graphical file (i.e. GFX_action_testing -> job_testing.dds).
The domestic_court.gui file determines where everything appears on the UI. Each button is 40 pixels wide, so for each button you add, you need to shift the action box 40 pixels to the left, and make it 40 pixels wider.
The dds files are the graphics themselves.

Lord Spiritual should be able to do something that raises his own, and his liege's piety, perhaps at the cost of money. I was thinking something along the lines of alms for the poor. This way you would be able to more quickly build up piety to create a kingdom rather than 'pay for indulgences' or 'releasing prisoners'. Alms for the poor could also reduce revolt risk, and disease risk as well, as the poor were generally carriers of a lot of disease.

Whatever province you assign the Lord Spiritual to, you lose 10% tax, but gain ~1-5 piety per month (based on his learning skill, in .5 increments?). As a side benefit, you gain, 5% less revolt risk, and less disease chance. Critical success might be something like gaining sainthood for the chaplain (and his unfortunate death). The sainthood gives you a HUGE piety bonus, and a buff to that province that basically removes any chance of revolt for 10 years. Critical failure means that the Lord Spiritual gets sick and dies due to being too close to the poor. Or perhaps he just embezzels all the money to himself that you were supposed to be giving to the poor / supporting missions, ect.

Would it be possible to include a "train" button that increases the rank of the councilor? So if I had only bad councillors in my realm I could train them over time, where the worse ones should take a bit shorter to train.

Do you know, is it possible to teach AI to use new jobs or is this behaviour hardcoded?

I'm experimenting with it now. So far it doesn't look promising.

Here's what I've found:
  1. The AI is able to pick jobs from the job_actions file even when they are left out of the job_titles file. This means the job will not appear in the UI, but the AI can use it anyway.
  2. The AI will never select anything except the vanilla job actions. If all the vanilla jobs are replaced, the AI will do nothing.
  3. The AI's choices are hard-coded and do not change based on the effects of the jobs (for example, the AI will still send its steward to research economic tech, even when it gives a penalty to tech growth).

So, this means any extra jobs we make will have to be player-only.

More interestingly, 1+2 means that it is possible to make two different set of jobs for the player and the AI. If the vanilla jobs are left in the job_action files, but new jobs are added and replace the vanilla jobs in the job_titles files, the player will have access to the new jobs only, and the AI will still use the old jobs.

Jaol, could I use your interface in a small project I'm working on, would give you credit, naturally?

Jaol, could I use your interface in a small project I'm working on, would give you credit, naturally?
Go right ahead. At the top of the thread I've posted a "blank" version of the mod with the UI changes, but the new jobs left undefined. It should be fairly straightforward to use as a template.

Go right ahead. At the top of the thread I've posted a "blank" version of the mod with the UI changes, but the new jobs left undefined. It should be fairly straightforward to use as a template.

Great Template ! We would like to use it our upcoming German Mod.

I wonder if it would be possible to add an additional council position...