• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
People seem to be making maps that have timelines though, is there a 3rd party editor or unlocker??

This is a really bummer. I thought surely by now this feature would be unlocked. Is it just staying locked so that "official" DLC maps have an advantage over user made maps?

Are there any strict guidelines involving airports? I have constructed a (in relation to stock airports) complex airport in a custom map, but it will cause the game to shutdown either during loading of a new game (presimulation?) or during gameplay (without any lines running).

From what I can gather, as long as the airport fits together correctly it should work. But even though the airport fits together, it seems to be the cause of these shutdowns. The logs appear to indicate a "normal" shutdown? Of course, it doesn't load the main menu before exit...

I'm wondering:
- Do runways have a maximum length? I did place fairly long runways, almost a third of the map long.
- Do runway entrance/exits have to have a minimum distance between them, or just as long as they connect with the taxiway network it should be fine?
- Do any of the airport props or buildings affect airport operation other than the large airport terminal?
- Assuming the 8x8 taxiway end piece allows aircraft to park there, is there a limit on parking spots? I have 4 large terminals and at least 15 parking spots...
- Would too many possible paths along the taxiway network from one point to another be a problem? The airport incorporates deicing pads and a dual-taxiway setup, so maybe the aircraft pathing is causing a problem?
- Do runway entrance/exits need to be a certain distance away from the end of the runway?
- Do taxiways/runways need a buffer space around them? I have a cross-field taxiway which has expressway tunnel entrances one square away on either side.

Sorry for the many questions, but there is almost no information on the airport aspect of mapping.
If needed I can post logs and the map. A version of the map with the airport completely gone works fine. A version of the map with the airport but without the large terminals still causes shutdowns. It doesn't appear to be caused by mods as I have tested the map with all mods removed except for the moneybar.

I hope I can fix this map. I am almost convinced the airport has to be gotten rid of.

This is the first time I hear about an airport being too big. Can you post a screenshot of your airport?

The airport is quite large so I had to use 4 screenshots.

Attachments

• 2011-09-17_00003.jpg
    2011-09-17_00003.jpg
    95,6 KB · Views: 149
  • 2011-09-17_00002.jpg
    2011-09-17_00002.jpg
    112,4 KB · Views: 132
  • 2011-09-17_00004.jpg
    2011-09-17_00004.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 117
  • 2011-09-17_00001.jpg
    2011-09-17_00001.jpg
    91,2 KB · Views: 129
First thing to do when your game is crashing is to verify if you have any mods and check your metro_log.txt inside My Documents/Cities in Motion.

I had the same problem with my map, using CombinedMod, the one that allows you to make maps with buildings of Tokyo. And it crashed only during some years not all. So hard to say that is really the airport.

P.S.: WOW, first time I see somebody using Tokyo region to make a map!
Your airport is massive. On pic number 4 I see the taxiways are too close to the other. I suggest you to test the map and you will see that the wings of the planes will collide if they cross that together. It's too close. However that doesn't have any real effect.

The only mod used was the moneybar which should not be a problem, I don't think. I am not using any combined mod. Although it crashed with my own mods installed, it has also crashed with no mods installed.
Also a note is that the game actually *closes*, it doesn't crash, since the last line of metro_log.txt is the usual closed metro_log.txt.
The problem should be with the airport because I have tested a version of the map with the airport AND without the airport, both without mods, and only the only with the airport crashed.

I don't understand what you mean by the taxiways being too close together in pic 4; all the taxiways there are the same distance from each other. Do you mean the "deicing pad" taxiways? Those only look close together as there is pavement placed between them to emulate the appearance of deicing pads. Those taxiways all still have 8 squares of space between then, same as the dual parallel taxiways for the runways. (Also, the default Haneda airport in the stock Tokyo has a section of dual taxiway with 8 square separation.)

The only mod used was the moneybar which should not be a problem, I don't think. I am not using any combined mod. Although it crashed with my own mods installed, it has also crashed with no mods installed.
Also a note is that the game actually *closes*, it doesn't crash, since the last line of metro_log.txt is the usual closed metro_log.txt.
The problem should be with the airport because I have tested a version of the map with the airport AND without the airport, both without mods, and only the only with the airport crashed.

I don't understand what you mean by the taxiways being too close together in pic 4; all the taxiways there are the same distance from each other. Do you mean the "deicing pad" taxiways? Those only look close together as there is pavement placed between them to emulate the appearance of deicing pads. Those taxiways all still have 8 squares of space between then, same as the dual parallel taxiways for the runways. (Also, the default Haneda airport in the stock Tokyo has a section of dual taxiway with 8 square separation.)

Solving this is generally a matter of taking everything apart and putting it back together piece by piece.
Save your game - make a backup copy of the file and then start deleting stuff. Delete say 1/4 of the airport and try loading it. See if the game works.
If everything in the game runs then copy the backup back over the modified file and go in and delete less.

The point is to keep deleting stuff until you find out at which point the game stops crashing.

Sometimes it's a certain "thing" which means everythign else is fine but just that one thing. Other times it's a bigger picture.

However the key is to find at which point something you're building is causing the crash.

At least you're a brave soul. After I couldn't make my highways do waht I wanted them to do to replicate Fort Worth's IH30/820 passes I just gave up.

I'm having a strange issue and I'm not sure of the cause. I am able to open the map editor and create a map. I am able to save it and play it. When I quit to the main menu it is listed as a choice in the sandbox maps list. When I quit and relaunch the game I no longer see the map. I found the files in created in my /Documents/Citiesinmotion/maps directory. I have even added a few custom made user maps. None of these show up as sandbox choices. The only time I see something other than the default maps is just after creating one in the map editor. I'm running 1.0.21 of the core game, no expansion packs or DLCs. Anyone have a clue about this issue?

How do you build the tokyo stations?
I can get them to fit in with the 4 wide roads, but it does not come with train tracks and platforms.
Also the ground is pulled up under the building, making it impossible to place rails through it.

Anyone know how these stations work?

you can build bridges and tunnels. It's not so flexible, but it still gives you some possibilities. I would say that the biggest drawback is that you cannot build diagonal bridges and tunnels currently, that's the biggest limitation.

I searched a lot but I could not find the answer, although I am sure that it is a problem for all of us. In the map editor, why can't we use all types of buildings in a map we are creating? There is a mod for all landmarks, but I am not talking about the landmarks only. For example if I choose California in the map editor, I cannot place a football stadium, european type blockhouses or even a ministry building. Do I need to copy some data in the game folder to other maps or something like that?

I searched a lot but I could not find the answer, although I am sure that it is a problem for all of us. In the map editor, why can't we use all types of buildings in a map we are creating? There is a mod for all landmarks, but I am not talking about the landmarks only. For example if I choose California in the map editor, I cannot place a football stadium, european type blockhouses or even a ministry building. Do I need to copy some data in the game folder to other maps or something like that?

This is not possible because the game is divided in regions. But you can make it with a mod.

United World mod: http://citiesinmotion.wikispaces.com/United+World

Thanks a lot, I'm really excited to learn about this mod (I had searched all of the mods on that site but I did not see this one, dont know why, interesting :)
I am not home yet, as soon as I get home, I'll try this mod. I always wanted to start drawing my own city but waiting for such a solution, since it was really required. Now I can begin immediately. Thanks a lot again :)