• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Deserteur

Colonel
38 Badges
Feb 18, 2002
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
[MOD] Reality Kings 1066 v3.5b

REALITY KINGS 1066

Current version: 3.5b as of 15 April 2012 (for CK II 1.04c and all previous versions)
Latest changes:
  • Modified the prerequisites and consequences of excommunication to get better results
  • Fixed a potential CTD (Thanks to Clouddark)
  • Included the newest version of Ad Limina Apostolorum by rafek
  • Fixed some bugs
  • Significantly reduced chance of discovering plots to prevent an exploit of this event
  • Inlcuded avee's Better rebels mod

Purpose of this mod
This mod shall allow the player to experience the historical correct reality of medieval rulers in 1066. This means that only such duchies, counties, baronies, bishophrics and cities exist at the beginning of any of the two 1066 scenarios of Crusader Kings 2 that really existed in 1066. Therefore, many counties, baronies, bishophrics and cities have also been realigned to depict the historical reality. Furthermore, the character system has been completely reworked to create more realistic relationships based on personal likes and dislikes.

Overall, playing the Holy Roman Emperor or any ruler within the HRE is now much more interesting and realistic. Anyways, this mod is not intended for any scenario starting after 1066!!

List of reworked dominions
  • Holy Roman Empire (complete rework which is partially based on Darrigan's Lotharingia and Lowlands mod)
  • Byzantine Empire
  • Corsica and Sardinia
  • England
  • Hungary (based on Szamovary's Arpadian Age mod)
  • Poland (based on Raczynski's Poland historical fixes mod)
  • Pommerania and Prussia
  • Russia (Grand Principalities of Kievan Rus and Novgorod)
  • Wales (based on Ijtzoi's Cantrefi mod)

Main Features
  • Historically correct empires, kingdoms, duchies and counties in all reworked areas (HRE also historically correct below county level).
  • Very deep gameplay experience due to very detailed dynasty connections and character system.
  • Wonderful economic diversity within the HRE (Netherlands, Frisia, the Alps and Bohemia are poor compared to the rich North Western Italy and other major cities within the HRE).
  • Realistic frequency of Crusades.

IMPORTANT: AS THE GERMAN EMPEROR ALL BISHOPS IN THE HRE ARE YOUR DIRECT VASSALS. IF THE POPE WANTS TO REVOKE THE INVESTITURE RIGHT FROM YOU, THINK ABOUT IT AS IT GIVES YOU MASSIVE POWER.

To achieve the historical reality of 1066, in a first step the Holy Roman Empire was rebuild according to its real situation in 1066. Other empires, kingdoms and countries will follow at later stages (see list of reworked dominions above).

The following changes have been made to CK2 so far besides the mods that I have added to Reality Kings 1066:
  • Reworked the HRE: Some duchy titles have been removed as they actually did not exist / some provinces were removed from or added to the HRE
  • Reworked duchies: Counties have been added to and realigned between the duchies
  • Reworked bishophrics: Bishophrics (at all levels) within the HRE have been put under direct control of the emperor (This resembles the emperor's historical invesiture right. You should now think twice before allowing the pope to name half the rulers of your empire upon his request for investiture.)
  • Reworked counties: Baronies, bishophrics and cities have been modified, added, deleted and/or realigned within the HRE
  • The emperor now holds direct baronies and cities within many counties of the HRE as he did in history
  • Dukes and counts now also hold baronies in counties of other dukes and counts
  • Reworked Poland (based on Raczynski's Poland historical fixes mod)
  • Reworked the Western Slavic Tribes to give them their historical strength
  • Reworked Corsica and Sardinia to resemble their historical situation
  • Reworked Lotharingia and the Lowlands (partially based on Darrigan's Lotharingia and the Lowlands mod)
  • Completely reworked opinion modifiers based on latest psychlogical research to enable realistic personal behaviour between the characters in the game
  • Reworked kingdoms within the Byzantine Empire
  • Implanted the Grand Principalities of Kievan Rus (which was the major power in Eastern Europe in 1066) and Novgorod
  • Reworked Hungary (based on Szamovary's Arpadian Age mod)
  • Reworked Wales (based on Ijtzoi's Cantrefi mod)
  • Reworked England (based on the_hdk's and SirDraco's Saxon England mod)

Installation
It is strongly recommended to delete any old version of this mod before installing the newest version!!

(1) Download the ".zip" archive (the file attached at the end of his post)
(2) Unpack the files into your "crusader kings ii\mod" folder

Compatibility is provided with the following mods
For the best gameplay experience I recommend to start the mods, which I highlighted in green, together with Reality Kings 1066.

In case that you wish to use more than 1 of the above mentioned mods together with "Reality Kings 1066", please check in the threads of the respecitve mods whether they are compatible with each other or not.

The following mods are already included in Reality Kings 1066

Reality Kings 1066 is included in the following mods

Changelog

Version 3.4
  • Inlcuded the_hdk's and SirDraco's SAXON ENGLAND mod (the map and setup until the victory of William the Conqueror / Very special thanks to Szamovary for merging the maps!)

Version 3.3
  • Reworked the frequency of Crusades to be more realistic (about 20-40 years)
  • Fixed a culture spread error which stopped the game
  • Reworked some marriages and characters within the HRE
  • Modified the costs for crusades and excommunications
  • Fixed some problems with seazone and Welsh names
  • Reworked Pomeralia and Prussia
  • Reworked the defines.lua file to get more realistic prestige/piety/money costs for actions

Version 3.2
  • Inlcuded Ijtzoi's Cantrefi (Wales) mod
  • Inlcuded avee's Death causes mod
  • Inlcuded the culture spread feature of Meneth's Balansegang mod
  • Removed the Kingdom of Byzantium within the Byzantine Empire and replaced it with the historical Kingdoms of Epirus and Thessalonika as well as some duchies.

Version 3.1
  • Inlcuded rafek's Ad Limina Apostolorum mod
  • Inlcuded Szamovary's Arpadian Age (Hungary) mod
  • Slightly reworked Poland

Version 3.0
  • Inlcuded chatnoir17's Hanseatic League mod
  • Reworked the provinces of Lorraine and Santois as they have been forgotten by me so far
  • Reworked the kingdoms in North Eastern Europe (Created de jure Grand Pricipality of Novgorod and split Finland between Novgorod and Sweden; gave Estonia to Lithuania even though this is not 100% correct)
  • Reworked the county and province of Holstein and gave it to the Duke of Brunswick (Saxony)
  • Inlcuded Zaldax's An Offer You Can't Refuse mod
  • After some discussions I made Poland an independent duchy again (even though this is arguable)
  • Now we have a Grand Principality of Kievan Rus ruled by a Grand Prince :)

Version 2.9
  • Inlcuded steveuk666's Battle Resolution enhanced mod
  • Made Poland a duchy of the HRE which it was in fact in 1066
  • Implanted the Kingdom of Rus which was the major Eastern European power in 1066.

Version 2.8
  • Realized the archbishops of Trier and Mainz
  • The baronies/bishophrics/cities which have been added by me now habe their correct names
  • Fixed the kingdoms within the Byzantine Empire
  • Fixed some minor bugs

Version 2.7
  • Completely reworked opinion modifiers based on latest psychlogical research to enable realistic personal behaviour between the characters in the game
  • Completed some character profiles within the HRE (Emperor, Duchess of Tuscany, etc.)
  • Fixed some character relations according to history within the HRE
  • Returned back the the rivers of BGA as the rivers of Mercator seemed to be too many

Version 2.6
  • Reworked De Jure Duchies within the Holy Roman Empire accoridng to history in 1066. As a consequence, the Duke of Lower Lotharingia is back :cool:
  • Fixed some minor ahistorical things. It is really interesting which connections come out in the game once you make it historical..
  • Added the province of Nice to the Duchy of Provence

Version 2.5
  • Inlcuded Mod Mercator by Elryck and Arko

Version 2.4
  • Fixed all errors regarding shuffeled coats of arms (flags)
  • Inlcuded Syren's Nicknames mod

Version 2.3
  • Fixed all errors regarding blacked out Byzantine Empire and Wales, shuffeled coats of arms and crash to desktop
  • Removed the Balansegang mod by Meneth as Meneth disallowed using his mod

Version 2.2
  • Included the Bella Gerant Alii mod by GAGA Extrem
  • Included the Lotharingia and Lowlands mod by Darrigan (applied the province files of Reality Kings as the province files of LaL were not historical correct)
  • Included parts of the Balansegang mod by Meneth (only the parts that relate to the historical setup in 1066, i.e., characters, titles and provinces)

Version 2.0
  • Completed the rework of the HRE (The mod is now fully playable and works as intended. It is recommended to play it with the latest version of the Bella Gerant Alii mod.)
  • Optimized rework to guarantee playablity while having the utmost historical reality

Version 1.5
  • Optimized the Italian part of the HRE
  • Reworked the remaining provinces of the Italian part of the HRE

Version 1.4
  • Reworked Austria, Carinthia and North Eastern Italy below county level (actually Italy is a nightmare to mod)
  • Optimized some provinces below county level within the HRE
  • Made the archbishop of Bremen a real archbishop by granting him a duchy title
  • Changed Duchy of Lower Lotharingia to Duchy of Brabant which better resembles the historical facts and prevents wars within the HRE at the beginning of the game

Version 1.3
  • Reworked Bohemia and Moravia below county level
  • Fixed the County of Treviso to prevent wars within the HRE at the game start
  • Reworked some parts of Western Germany below county level

Version 1.2:
  • Completed rework of all provinces below county level within the Holy Roman Empire from the North down to the Alps
  • Reworked the Western Pommeranian tribes according to history which makes them significantly stronger to withstand the HRE
  • Changed Duchy of Saxony to Duchy of Brunswick which better resembles the historical facts and prevents wars within the HRE at the beginning of the game

Version 1.1:
  • Added Raczynski's mod "Poland (historical fixes mod)" as it provides historical fixes for Poland
  • Reworked some more counties especially in Northern Germany, the Netherlands and Belgium
  • Added bishophrics below county level to the direct control of the German Emperor to represent his historical correct right for investiture as well as the historical relevance of bishophrics within the HRE which was to keep the landlords in check

Disclaimer
Many hours of work have gone into this, so comments, critics, corrections (please with proofs) and additions (maybe someone is already working on other countries) are welcome! Have fun!

Remember: Savegame compatibility is never assured for new versions, but should be no problem! This mod uses the original map of CK2 and as such certain limitations remain for the mod.

You may use this mod or parts of this mod for own creations.
Just remember to give credit where credit is due.

Attachments

• Reality Kings 3.5b.zip
    6,5 MB · Views: 373
Last edited:
This looks great man! Are you also planning on balancing the HRE a bit so it doesn't conquer half the known world? (The other half is gonna be byzatine.. Damn!)

Thanks. Well I think that my changes already weakened the HRE as I took some counties away from it and gave it to France and the Pomeranians. Als the reduction of the actual number of baronies, cities and bishophircs weakened the HRE. This will continue as I will further adjust the counties according to history. You can already see the effects especially in the Frisian lands and the Alps. I expect that once I am done with Bohemia and Italy that these parts of the HRE will also become significantly weaker.

I am planning to retain the compatibility with Bella Gerant Alii.

Bump. This looks great, thanks.

I just tryed you mod,(with HRE revised) very nice one actually,(HRE nerfed,lots of intervassals war) just one thing probably does not works as intended...
The king of burgundy Title does not follow the next emperor (actually the former one was deposed)

I just tryed you mod,(with HRE revised) very nice one actually,(HRE nerfed,lots of intervassals war) just one thing probably does not works as intended...
The king of burgundy Title does not follow the next emperor (actually the former one was deposed)

Got the reason. The succession law was different. Had to remove the title. No big loss, as it was only for the flavor.

Added a new version 1.1 which corrects this mistake and adds some new stuff.

Last edited:
New version 1.2 inlcudes totally reworked HRE (from the North to the Alps), Western Pommeranian tribes (now their military power is more than double as before) and Poland. NO MORE (or only minimal) WARS WITHIN THE HRE AT THE GAME START! :cool: Thus, the game works as intended.

Last edited:
New version 1.3 includes reworked Bohemia and Moravia below county level (counties and duchies were actually fine in vanilla CK2). Further, reworked the counties of Treviso and Aquileia according to historical reality to prevent wars within the HRE at the game start in 1066.

Great mod, thanks a bunch!

[*]Rework of bishophrics: Bishophrics (at county level) have been put under direct control of the emperor in case that they were in fact the ruling power of a county in 1066 (This resembles the emperor's invesiture right. You will now think twice before allowing the pope to name half the rulers of your empire upon his request.)

It is already a no brainer in vanilla to put free investiture, and incredibly easy to keep it as such. Will you mod a realistic investiture conflict, guelphs and ghibellines wars and overall the power struggle between the Pope and the Emperor that lasted centuries and that currently it's absent in the game?

Wow!! This project is looking to be a great one! For what it is worth, I hope you include the following small projects as well:

Heraldry project
Nicknames project
Culture Cities Graphics project

Nonetheless it is a mod I will be using after the patch for sure. I am looking for a definitive realistic project. Then if I get time I will develop a comprehensive "realistic" and vast traits, vices and virtues system; if someone else has not done so by then.

Last edited:
It is already a no brainer in vanilla to put free investiture, and incredibly easy to keep it as such. Will you mod a realistic investiture conflict, guelphs and ghibellines wars and overall the power struggle between the Pope and the Emperor that lasted centuries and that currently it's absent in the game?

Well my changes will trigger the investiture conflict in case that people appreciate the value of loyal bishops against their unloyal dukes :) Anyways, the mod shall actually only modify the 1066 scenario according to history. Any further changes will maybe implanted in a next stage.

Wow!! This project is looking to be a great one! For what it is worth, I hope you include the following small projects as well:

Heraldry project
Nicknames project
Culture Cities Graphics project

I will look into these mods and ask the mod owners for allowance. But from the names of the mods, I assume that compatibility should be no problem.

It is planned to revision the map?

Currently, it is not planned as I cannot do it myself, but if someone would do it, I would appreciate this support.

Suggest changing the mod name unless you want people to get confused when they google it.

:D It is too late to change the name of the mod and apart from that it may give the game itself and my mod some more attention ;)

Tried this with BGA and played as finnish pagans. It seems it messes up with religion somehow as my kin treated me as infidel whereas muslims and christians did not...

Well, as I did not do any changes to Finland or religions (apart from the province files), this is not a result of my mod. Probably, it is caused by BGA.

Does this work with patch 1.04, yarr?

Uploaded a new version of Reality Kings 1.4 which is fully compatible with CK 1.04!

Reworked Austria, Carinthia and North Eastern Italy. Made the archbishophric of Bremen to work as intended. Again reworked the county of Hainaut after I found out some interesting stuff (women just make it more complicated..). And optimized some provinces within the HRE below county level after I found out even more interestin stuff.