• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((The deadlines are in the middle of the night here, so no problems ;)))

((No problem with the times))

Timeline of Events: July 1, 1939-January 1, 1940

July

July 1, 1939: Newman-Sharpe goes to in effect; research set to 1 LS, officers to 34.29 LS. As the nation's nuclear research is nearing completion, single slot is devoted to that purpose.
July 4, 1939: To celebrate Independence Day, two infantry divisions (3 INF x 1 ART) are deployed to Washington, DC, pending further orders.
July 29, 1939: Five radar stations installed in Guam, two in Sunset Beach, HI, and three in Honolulu, HI. ((Apologies to Saithis; all five were to go in Honolulu, but I was zoomed too far out.))

August
August 1, 1939: Upgrades scheduled for four cavalry brigades; they will be converted into motorized infantry.
August 7, 1939: Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact.
August 19, 1939: Germans mobilize.

September
September 2, 1939: Danzig or War and Winter War both fire. Germans at war with UK, France, and Poland; Soviets at war with Finland. We start Gearing Up For War.
September 3, 1939: I use the additional IC to upgrade every cavalry division in the army to motorized infantry.
September 10, 1939: Japan annexes Shanxi.
September 14, 1939: ARM brigade completed; held in pool until accompanying MOT brigades completed.
September 22, 1939: Germany conquers Poland. Poland goes GIE. Soviets get eastern Poland.

October
October 5, 1939: Germany declares war on Denmark.
October 6, 1939: Fall of France event fires. ((What does this event do? I've not played as Germany since I got FTM.))
October 13, 1939: Germany defeats Denmark, Denmark goes GIE.
October 17, 1939: Winter War over.
October 26, 1939: Australia joins the Allies.

November
November 2, 1939: Japan forms Mengkukuo.
November 8, 1939: Mengkukuo joins Japan's war against China.
November 12, 1939: Parliamentary Scandal; MacArthur gets canned. ((Sorry, Tom :D)) Leahy is interim Chief of Staff; Craig is interim Chief of the Army.
November 15, 1939: New Zealand joins the Allies.
November 25, 1939: Mengkukuo expands.

December
December 17, 1939: We cross the officer threshold set by Secretary Newman. Leadership set to 1 officer, remainder research. ((Actually crossed this a couple of weeks prior, but I missed it. Have 111% officers at this point.))
December 27, 1939: A total of 3 ARM brigades in deployment pool; awaiting 6 MOT brigades (2 per division) for redeployment.
December 28, 1939: Surplus of 28.08 IC converted to upgrades for the time being.
December 29, 1939: Light Bomb Development 1 finishes; research begins on Twin Engine Airframe 1.
December 30, 1939: Infantry Warfare and Mass Assault 2 finish; research continues on both.
December 31, 1939: Tactical Command Structure 2 finishes; research continues.

January
January 1, 1940: Single Engine Airframe 1 finished; research begins on Installation Strike Tactics 2.

State of the Union incoming!

January 1, 1940: State of the Union Address

My fellow Americans,

What we all feared would come to pass, has come to pass. Europe is again at war. What none of us predicted -- could possibly have predicted -- was that the Soviet Union and Nazi Germany would sign an agreement, establishing a Non-Aggression Pact.

mrpact.jpg

With no threat to their east, Germany issued an ultimatum to Poland, demanding the key port city of Danzig. Poland refused, secured by French and British guarantees, and Germany declared war on Poland on September 2, 1939. The same day, the Soviet Union declared war on Finland, seeking a buffer zone around the strategically important city of Leningrad.

waaaar.jpg

Emboldened by their allies, Japan finally made significant progress in China, conquering the area known as Shanxi. The progress report sent to me by Chief of Staff Leahy suggests that Communist China is also soon to fall.

shanxigoen.jpg

asiam.jpg

Japan has created a new puppet regime called Mengkukuo out of their Mongolian territories, and they have honored Japan's request to join their war. Currently, only Nationalist China, Communist China, and Xibei San Ma remain at war with Japan. Not to be outdone, Germany conquered Poland a few days later, sharing some of the territory with the Soviet Union. Next, Germany turned her eyes towards Denmark, easily overrunning them. The Polish and Danish government currently reside in exile in London.

polandgone.jpg

denmarkgone.jpg

denmarkgone2.jpg

Our own military has lost one of our most experienced generals. Director Hoover of the FBI has found some very serious evidence against General Douglas MacArthur's dealings as Army Chief of Staff. I have named Admiral William D. Leahy as Interim Chief of Staff and General Malin Craig as Interim Army Chief of Staff.

scandalc.jpg

scramblereplacements.jpg

For the time being, General MacArthur remains the commander of the West Coast US Army Group; I fully expect he will be court martialed.

There are two pieces of good news in these dark times; Australia and New Zealand have both joined the Allies.

I am announcing, at this time, my campaign for a third term as President of the United States. President Washington, as he has in so many other ways, set the precedent that no President should seek more than two terms. However, I cannot help but fear that we will be drawn into this war, as we were in the last one, whether we wish to be or not, and what we need more than anything right now is stability. All I can ask you to do is vote your conscience in November.

Thank you, and good night.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Leadership and techs:

lspoints.jpg

techs40.jpg

IC and build queue:

ic40.jpg

buildqueue.jpg

January 1940 save game: Click here.

In addition to our budget for FY 1940, we have the problem of what to do with General MacArthur. We'll give General MacArthur the chance to defend himself ((TankofMidgets, in this case)). The Chiefs and Secretary of War will then decide his ultimate fate; can he continue to serve in the field or is he to also be relieved of his command? That will be the call of our Chiefs and SecWar. ((Tom, you can make up whatever he actually did ;))) This will not affect Chimina as Army Chief of Staff or Tom as Atlantic Commander. We'll say this happened prior to Chimina taking over, for RP reasons.

Chiefs, you need to be thinking about the division of our naval and air assets; Chimina, if you want to make any changes to the OOB (we have a few units outside the OOB, so I imagine you will), please let me know as part of the army budget. You'll also need to choose your character in-game. You have Craig and McKay to choose from. Saithis, we also have some loose ships that need a home. Also, for some reason, I didn't take a screenshot, but I put a fighter squadron in Atlanta, GA, as well as the 5 X IC ordered by Saithis last go around.

Senators, let's get some budgets and any other business we want to take care of done. Deadline for presenting budgets and/or other bills is Tuesday at 10 PM (-6 GMT).

Our own military has lost one of our most experienced generals. Director Hoover of the FBI has found some very serious evidence against General Douglas MacArthur's dealings as Army Chief of Staff. I have named Admiral William D. Leahy as Interim Chief of Staff and General Malin Craig as Interim Army Chief of Staff.

For the time being, General MacArthur remains the commander of the West Coast US Army Group; I fully expect he will be court martialed.

In addition to our budget for FY 1940, we have the problem of what to do with General MacArthur. We'll give General MacArthur the chance to defend himself ((TankofMidgets, in this case)). The Chiefs and Secretary of War will then decide his ultimate fate; can he continue to serve in the field or is he to also be relieved of his command? That will be the call of our Chiefs and SecWar. ((Tom, you can make up whatever he actually did ;)))[/B]

((Uh... wow. :eek:hmy: Alright, I'll get right to work laying out a laundry list of charges.))

Gentlemen, I believe the sacking of General MacArthur may have been done in haste. I propose a full examination of the circumstances. I do not believe we should lightly switch horses in midstream, neither should we subject the army to such a shake up without good cause. Unless the General be found guilty of treason or some such, I propose he be permitted to continue serving at his current rank. However, it may not be politically possible to return him to cabinet status. I suggest he move his command to Manila, out of sight often being equal to out of mind.

Richard Newman Senator (R) Georgia.

Subscribed on weekly basis. Add me to the reserve officers list to be called-up only in time of war. We're still isolationist--right?

Subscribed on weekly basis. Add me to the reserve officers list to be called-up only in time of war. We're still isolationist--right?

At the moment, we are. This may change, as of this update, however. We'll have to see how the Senators react!

The hearing of General Douglas MacArthur is now in session. All rise for the Chief of Staff of the United States Army, the Chief of Naval Operations, the Chief of the United States Army Air Force, and the Secretary of War.

General MacArthur, you are charged with the following offenses against the dignity of your office:

1) That, in your capacity as Chief of Staff of the United States Army, you have repeatedly and knowingly used your position for personal profit, stationing Army units and facilities in the states of favored Senators, thereby demonstrating corruption;
2) That, during your tenure as Commander of the West Coast US Army Group, you have failed to uphold the responsibilities of that position, and have allowed your connections to the Filipino government to blind you to your responsibilities as an Army officer, which constitutes dereliction of duty;
3) That, in 1937 and 1938, you deliberately and willfully organized a cabal intended to supplant the legitimate authority of Congress, thereby committing treason against the United States of America.

Do any of the officers of the jury contest these charges, or have additional charges to add?

Last edited:
Gentlemen, I believe the sacking of General MacArthur may have been done in haste. I propose a full examination of the circumstances. I do not believe we should lightly switch horses in midstream, neither should we subject the army to such a shake up without good cause. Unless the General be found guilty of treason or some such, I propose he be permitted to continue serving at his current rank. However, it may not be politically possible to return him to cabinet status. I suggest he move his command to Manila, out of sight often being equal to out of mind.

Richard Newman Senator (R) Georgia.

If even the slightest hint that General MacArthur has or has attempted to usurp the authority of the United States Congress and thereby committed treason during this difficult time he should be removed from command and tried as a traitor to the people of the United States of America and if found guilty by the jury, he should be dealt with very harshly perhaps even as far as the death penalty, as treason is no small matter.

Senator Peter Dawson, MD

"The charges levelled at General MacArthur are extreme and worrying. We can understand his removal from the political aspects of the Military pending further investigations, but as a General he is still surely qualified and competently able to lead our men into battle. Although I find it difficult to believe the scope of the charges, I agree with Senator Newman. Let him be assigned a desk job in Manila and if the fighting breaks out again, we can deal with it when it comes."

~ Senator Sarah Quentin O'Hanahan, D-OR

"This is ludicrous. I've worked closely with General MacArthur for years planning the Pacific Joint Defence Force and let me tell you, there's no way he could be like this. No way. You know a man that long you get to know him real personable like and this just isn't MacArthur; he's a good family man with a sensible head on his shoulders, he doesn't need this kind of abuse. Someone has clearly trumped up these charges and falsified evidence to try and stain the military's good name and keep us out of the war!"

~ Admiral William H. Standley, Chief of Naval Operations

"I find these charges outrageous. General MacArthur has been an outstanding officer decorated with the medal of honor. I demand that his accuser be made known and the general be given the chance to defend himself against these allegations."
~ Robert Wagner, Secretary of War

To make something clear: If MacArthur is found innocent, he keeps his field command, but I will not create zombie MacArthur as a candidate for Army of Chief Staff. The last thing the world needs is zombie MacArthur. ;)

((My plan is to keep him around as at least a field commander.))

Once/if Chimina casts a vote, I'll make a decision. I thought about giving him two votes (one as Chief of the Army and one as Chief of the Air Force), but that would only work if he could be schizophrenic enough to totally disassociate his two personalities ;)

Oh, and Senators, don't let the Trial of MacArthur distract you; we still need a budget for 1940.

Charges have been made without evidence shown, if any serious ruling is to be made, this evidence better be shown or otherwise I will have to challenge these charges. Making wild accusations against one of the most decorated men in the country is an outrage!

-General Westover, Chief of the Army Air Corps

With Chimina's vote, we will keep MacArthur as an eligible Field Commander. Still need budget bills by Tuesday (and anything else you folks are cooking up).

With Chimina's vote, we will keep MacArthur as an eligible Field Commander. Still need budget bills by Tuesday (and anything else you folks are cooking up).

I'm pleased to see that the Board has made the right decision and cleared me of these ludicrous charges. I have a fair idea of who our mystery accuser is... suffice it to say that I will be having a long conversation with a certain Senator from the South regarding proper clearances for investigation of secret correspondence.

While I am saddened that my personal involvement with the Filipino government will prevent me from serving as Chief of Staff of the United States Army, I am confident that my successor will do his utmost to keep this country secure, and that our nation's military will serve President Roosevelt honorably and skillfully. I will continue to command American forces in the Atlantic theater, and ensure that foreign aggression never touches our shores.

Sincerely,
General Douglas MacArthur,
Commander of the West Coast U.S. Army Group

((Sorry, guys, I originally planned to RP the trial and make it exciting... but then I realized I deleted all the PMs containing the relevant evidence. :rolleyes: So I'm glad we got this resolved quickly, since I would've just been exchanging baseless insults between my characters, and I doubt watching me argue with myself would be terribly amusing.))

I'm pleased to see that the Board has made the right decision and cleared me of these ludicrous charges. I have a fair idea of who our mystery accuser is... suffice it to say that I will be having a long conversation with a certain Senator from the South regarding proper clearances for investigation of secret correspondence.

While I am saddened that my personal involvement with the Filipino government will prevent me from serving as Chief of Staff of the United States Army, I am confident that my successor will do his utmost to keep this country secure, and that our nation's military will serve President Roosevelt honorably and skillfully. I will continue to command American forces in the Atlantic theater, and ensure that foreign aggression never touches our shores.

Sincerely,
General Douglas MacArthur,
Commander of the West Coast U.S. Army Group

((Sorry, guys, I originally planned to RP the trial and make it exciting... but then I realized I deleted all the PMs containing the relevant evidence. :rolleyes: So I'm glad we got this resolved quickly, since I would've just been exchanging baseless insults between my characters, and I doubt watching me argue with myself would be terribly amusing.))

((I don't know... I think watching you argue with yourself would be extremely entertaining ;)))

((Guilty, I did get distracted. Downloading save now to get a sense of where we are.))