• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Vishaing

MM Prime Minister in Exile
12 Badges
Jan 25, 2008
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
Imperium in Imperio [0.10]

Having been (Mostly[Tentatively]Not Really) Freed from Magna Mundi Development, I've decided to start my own Crusader Kings II Project, so I give you;

Imperium in Imperio
A State within a State, an Order within an order
(Fancy Banner Under Construction)

Download V0.11

Current Feature List:
*New Crown Laws, where once there was 2, now there are 5 (SEE: 10, but 5 are just for record keeping)
*Extreme Reforms take longer to implement and longer to recover from.
*AI Fully understands the new Reform System.
*Vassals will Respond to the Reform, and Elective Monarchies are Very Protective of their Rights...
*The Two Christian Empires now have Coronation Events that can devolve into Massive Civil Wars (This is not the Papal Coronation Events for the HRE, yet)
*New Method of Passing Crown Laws, allowing for Compromise and Compound 'Royal Bulls'
*AI fully able to understand the new Crown Laws
*Incorporated the Wonderful Mercenary Mod of Solo?.

Feature under Construction:
*Re-Designed System for Changing Succession Laws Dependent on Liege Succession Law, Legalism, Power, and Permission
*Calling the General Estates
*"The Cost of War" Provinces that are besieged and taken will get long lasting modifiers to simulate Scorched Earth and Pillaging
*System of Trade Centers and Routes

Planned Feature List:
*Investiture Reform, making the system more dynamic and vibrant, the Pope will NOT just sit back and watch anymore...
*Elective Monarchy Reform, Including an Uninheritable Titular 'King of the Romans' Title for the HRE
*Tiered Overlapping Laws to simulate the advancement of Political Thought These will Require Reform to implement, allowing countries to Stagnate.
*Psudeo Crown Laws for Duchies.
*De-Facto Kingdom and Empire Titles including; Lotharingia, The Netherlands, Aquitainia, The Latin Empire, Hispania, Britannia, Scandinavia, All the Russias, and any others I feel like Adding <Why yes, this is an open invitation to everyone who reads this to suggest titles>. Some of these will be localized as Kingdom Tier non-Kingdoms, such as the Archduchy of Austria.

So, some things I need Help with;
I am Hilariously bad at Research, so I will need help in determining what Crown Laws should be held by what Titles at the Start of the Game.
Also, I want to Redesign the Map and add more Provinces and Titles. Now, I know how to mod the map, but again, I am hilariously bad at Research, so if anyone wants to request titles or provinces or dynasties or characters, feel free, and I'll Implement them.
Also, this is not Balanced, like at All. I've tested the events so I'm fairly sure they all work and do what they're supposed to, but the process as a whole is likely not balanced at all.
Lastly, I want this to develop into a Full Overhaul Mod, so other Mod Makers, I'm going to be knocking on your PM Inbox and asking if I can incorporate some of your work into IiI.

Now then, some more Detail.
As stated, Crown Laws have received a Total Overhaul. The old 'Centralization' Crown Law has been renamed 'Feudal Obligations' and only deals with how many troops your Vassals are required to give you. All of the other things like 'The King's Peace' and 'Revokation of Titles' are now their own separate Crown Laws that can be Incrementally passed using a new Declaration System.

The Crown Laws, along with their Total Increments are now;
Code:
	Feudal Obligsations 		[5] 	[None, Few, Decent, Large, Vast]
	Investiture 			[2] 	[Papal, Free]
	The King's Peace 		[3] 	[None, Internal, Full]
	Restricted Inherittance 	[2] 	[Free, Restricted]
	Feudal Rights 			[4] 	[Full, Limited, Crusader, None]

This allows a greater degree of variation between Realms. Do you want to give your Vassals a free hand so long as they contribute to your armies? You can do that. Do you want to keep the Peace between your Vassals but let them keep their entire Levies? You can do that. Will you strike a Balance between the two? Probably the best idea.

Likewise, the relations penalties for most laws are vastly reduced, both because now they all add up, and because the far more pressing matter isn't the laws but trying to change the laws, that's what vassals don't like (Full Centralization this mod vs vanilla : -25 vs -30). If the Vassals have become accustomed to not being able to inherit outside of the realm and change their succession laws, they won't find that as big of a deal. If you suddenly decide you should have the right to revoke their titles, that's going to cause more of a stir.

Laws are now Changed By Declaration, but take a while to implement, during which time you will become vulnerable to plots against you above and beyond what are already there. It is possible for a King to try to take their realm from max Decentralization in All Categories to Max Centralization. It will likely result in them getting killed and their entire Dynasty being wiped out, but they can try. (Specifically, trying to do so would grant an automatic -155 to all Vassal Opinions).

Of course, because the Laws take a while to Implement, you become vulnerable. Specifically, although you will not gain any of the advantages of the Laws until they are implemented, your Vassals will still treat you as if you have already implemented them, or, more likely, implemented an even harsher law than what you are actually trying to do. This is especially true of the Laws that actually restrict their Freedoms, and especially true if you are implementing Radical Reforms.

Furthermore, you have no guarantee of how long it will take to Implement a Reform. One King may work their entire life just to raise their Vassal's Feudal Obligations, another King might successfully strip their Vassals of All Rights in a single decade.

Likewise, there is nothing stopping you the player from biting off more than you can chew. Go ahead, Try to institute every fully centralized reform, I Dare you.

The AI will consider their situation before trying to pass reforms, with Character Traits playing a big role in their decision making process. Ambitious Rulers will try to pass more aggressive reforms. Cunning Rulers will pay more attention to the situation, Stupid or Reckless Rulers will be more likely to try and issue Proclamations even as their Palace burns down around them. The Player has very few restrictions on when they can try to pass a law, just be sensible, or don't, that would probably be more fun to watch. Specifically, I have added a new Ambition 'Reform the Realm', which is required for the AI to try to Reform the Nation. I will be adding other ways for the AI to start a Reform Campaign, but since the Reform is handled by Decision, and Paradox has apparently failed to implement a proper ai_will_do/ai_wont_do system for decisions, this is the best I can do.

As you can see, there are still several features left to be implemented. Right now Vassal Reactions to Laws are handled by a new Plot, I am working on Character Events that will let disgruntled Vassals approach their Liege more 'diplomatically'.

Last edited:
@ fcmsaab : Thanks!
@ Joel M Bridge : Help with research would be fairly awesome, and although I do have Skype, I hate it so would rather just have links and info posted in the thread, and yes, there will be a Potential 'Golden Bull' system.

@ Arcvalons : In the next version I am including a massive nerf on Feudal Levies, specifically, in the Defines File there are two values that determine whether a Liege gets the Min or Max Levies from a Vassal, based on that Vassal's Opinion of the Liege. Normally its set to -25 for min and +100 for max. I am changing it to +25 for min and +100 for Max. Just in my one test game this VASTLY weakenned the, well, everyone. Especially the HRE, who has already started to lose control over much of Italy and Burgundy. Now most provinces contribute around 30-40 rather than 100-200 men.

Hopefully this will require Leaders to rely on appeasing their vassals more (or increasing the Feudal Obligations greatly), and will hopefully help establish 'King Maker' scenarios.

I have also made most Diplomacy Actions less Binary by widening the 'uncertainty' range between guaranteed acceptance and guaranteed refusal.

Another thing that should help that is that now pretty much all War Types allow you to call in Vassals. So Vassals rebelling can call in other King's to help them, you might find it more useful to call in a Vassal that is your ally rather than just raise their levies.

@ SkippyW : Thanks!

Now then, plans for the Assembly of the Estates system;
I will be adding a New Crown Law representing the Power of the Estates, has the following Levels;
Code:
	1 : There are No Estates, the King is a Despot
	2 : The Estates are purely an Advisory Body
	3 : The Estates' Approval is required to Raise Taxes
	4 : The Estates' Approval is required to Pass any Law
I Think most Kingdoms will start at 3, the HRE will start at 4. I'm not sure where Byzantium should start, probably 4 just so its harder to make it Hereditary.

I am going to revisit the Voting System the game ships with, see if I can actually script the AI so it makes sensible decisions about what laws to approve rather than the stupid 'just wait and every reform always passes eventually' thing the game ships with. If so, I'll use this to simulate voting in the Estates General, provided I can also trigger these votes by event, which I'm guessing I can't, we'll see.

Switching an Elective Monarchy to a Hereditary Monarchy will require either insane levels of Prestige and good relations with every vassal, or Lowering the Estate's Authority to level 1 or 2. Likewise, changing any Succession Law will be a long process, that will give all of your vassals an opportunity to try and take control of the process and implement the succession law they want, thus making changing the Succession Laws a big risk.

I'm also going to add events where Disenfranchised Heirs will get claims on the Kingdom if the Succession Law starts to change (Notice the word 'Starts') Plus I'm going to add Plots for disenfranchised heirs to try and change the succession law back (or just claim the throne outright, even if they don't have any land, and have them flee to the courts of other Vassals, preferable the most powerful vassals in your realm, or a large Kingdom nearby...

Right now I need to do some testing to see if I can trigger a vote on a law (I'm at work, and don't have access to my Desktop). I Think I can, but we'll see...

I also need to test to see if Variables exist in the game, so far I don't see them used at all, or anywhere in the save files. I miss my variables, and being able to add variables together and subtract them and divide them. And I miss my select_random blocks, and select in general.

Honestly, this entire Project has just been one example after another of how vastly superior the scripting capabilities of MM are, than, well, anything else.

Anyways, Next update should have the start of the General Estates System and the redesign of the Succession Law changing Events, ETA: A Couple of Days I Hope.

There will be possibilities for Coronation by the Pope, an Anti-Pope, and potentially an exceptionally powerful Emperor may be able to unite the two Titles, removing the necessity of being Crowned by the Pope.

Hmmm, perhaps a Pope who is in really deep crap, like Muslims building Mosques in Rome or Imprisoned by the King of France Bad, might offer to tie the 'King of the Romans' title to the Elected Title In Perpetuity...

I'm open to suggestions, and unlike many, I have no problem with completely off-the-wall ahistorical events provided they are plausible in that Game's History, grow naturally from that game's situation, or provide the possibility for an interesting game.

Your mod seems to be very promising,cause it seems you are skilled enough to make miracle with the code, i have few suggessions who could fit with your project, don't know if its possible to implement or not (my skills are limited to editing values and few simple events so i d better use the work from the others ;) )
For Feudal Obligations , maybe a policy translated in game mecanics where vassal levy act like the allies (so in blue) to simulate the quasi-independance of some of the great vassals.(an negative answer could then triggering some events relating to the type of war asked)
For inherence maybe one where the king can grant a land title but non hereditary.
A policy where as Sovereign you can impose the type of succession to your vassal (at best individualy county by county).

Feudal system even in a Kingsdom and even at the end of the period (and far from it till the French Revolution) was not a homogenic, its all about personal links and priviledges, so is it possible to impose differents kingsdoms laws to differents vassal?
(for instance "France Kingdoms laws" differs a lot from a Duchy to another and the atlas hardly shows this)

Corronation of the French King ( le sacre à Reims) is almost as important (for differents reasons) than the corronation of the germans emperors, it could be interressing to consider, when Hugues Capet in 987 got the crown france was still under elective system(in game), and after him all the first capetian Kings did it for their Heir where they where still alive(to avoid an election). Louis VII the Lion in 1223 (Son of Phillippe II Auguste was the first Capetien who was crowned after her father die).

You understood i am french so please forgive my bad english (i did not wrote it for a while), and keep up your nice work. ^^

Last edited:
For [inheritance] maybe one where the king can grant a land title but non hereditary.

This would actually be fairly historical. One idea that came into English common law as a result of the Norman Conquest was that of a "Life Estate." Any fief or land granted as a life estate would revert back to the grantor upon the grantee's death (there are other ways this works as well, but this is by far the most common). Life estates became so common that within several hundred years, courts began to presume that all estates were life estates unless you could show evidence to the contrary.

Anyways, that's my 2 cents on the issue.

Your mod seems to be very promising,cause it seems you are skilled enough to make miracle with the code, i have few suggessions who could fit with your project, don't know if its possible to implement or not (my skills are limited to editing values and few simple events so i d better use the work from the others ;) )
For Feudal Obligations , maybe a policy translated in game mecanics where vassal levy act like the allies (so in blue) to simulate the quasi-independance of some of the great vassals.(an negative answer could then triggering some events relating to the type of war asked)
For inherence maybe one where the king can grant a land title but non hereditary.
A policy where as Sovereign you can impose the type of succession to your vassal (at best individualy county by county).

Feudal system even in a Kingsdom and even at the end of the period (and far from it till the French Revolution) was not a homogenic, its all about personal links and priviledges, so is it possible to impose differents kingsdoms laws to differents vassal?
(for instance "France Kingdoms laws" differs a lot from a Duchy to another and the atlas hardly shows this)

Corronation of the French King ( le sacre à Reims) is almost as important (for differents reasons) than the corronation of the germans emperors, it could be interressing to consider, when Hugues Capet in 987 got the crown france was still under elective system(in game), and after him all the first capetian Kings did it for their Heir where they where still alive(to avoid an election). Louis VII the Lion in 1223 (Son of Phillippe II Auguste was the first Capetien who was crowned after her father die).

You understood i am french so please forgive my bad english (i did not wrote it for a while), and keep up your nice work. ^^

I though the king was dead long live king was poltical tranfer in frances? Well guess learn something new ever day. So french Monarch was scared firgure, and royal knight of france.

Last edited:
A couple things:
When I boot up CK2 with IiI mod on, the mountains appear to be flat. (that might be cache problems on my end, though, but it didn't happen with my other mod)
The special conditions for changing laws is "Never". So I can't do anything there.

Last edited:
I though the king was dead long live king was poltical tranfer in frances? Well guess learn something new ever day. So french Monarch was scared firgure, and royal knight of france.
First time prononce in 1422 after the death of Charles VI... but actually This sentence was not at all part of a official ceremony and traditionnally prononced during the funerals... So i guess more an Hollywood myth that link it to french realm.
Ironically the french wickipedia relate this to an english tradition established in 1272 when Edouard III was crusading in Holy Land... :D

First time prononce in 1422 after the death of Charles VI... but actually This sentence was not at all part of a official ceremony and traditionnally prononced during the funerals... So i guess more an Hollywood myth that link it to french realm.
Ironically the french wickipedia relate this to an english tradition established in 1272 when Edouard III was crusading in Holy Land... :D

So french dervers his coronation event as well.

So that book post link, dear god the ever so complicated titanic close relation of Emperor and Pope is insane. To try sum Pope Lord spirital of entire world/christdom is case of game all RC realms. Depend Temperoal head christom, emperor has many title all sum he earth termprol side of RCC. As pope has the seculer investment so does Emperor have spirital one give to by pope during cornation. Cornation is insanely important least in theory, until King roman is Crown by pope very there no true temproal head christdom and in theory No Defender of Faith/ nobody really protectin the church.

Holy Crap I leave for like 5 hours and the Thread Explodes!

@Cordell; I am actually experimenting to see if I can use Triggered and Event Modifiers to impose certain effects on Vassals like the Min Levy Level, which would let Kings grant certain Vassals 'Privileges' and the like or demand more contributions from other Vassals.

I am also looking to see if I can add different ways to form Alliances and let people call up their Levies. I am thinking that if I can set it so Vassals can join their Liege's Wars by event (they can join Plot based Wars, so this should be possible), I might be able to jury-rig a system where Feudal Lords have to call their Vassals up to contribute to the War Effort personally.

Then I will Re-ReDesign the Feudal Obligations law so that it instead represents the establishment of a centralized Armed Forces, essentially make it a Law about the Death of the Feudal System.

I do have a method of making Titles Non-Inheritable, but it is kind of jury-rigged (essentially add both a title and a character flag, if a character ever has a title but not the flag, the title gets taken away by event. Still looking to see if I can make it a bit less obtrusive, possibly if there is an on_inherit on_action event I can use that, maybe. I also need to see what happens when a King with Duke Level Vassals loses that Kingly Title...

One of the places I plan to use this is the new 'Anti-Emperor' system I am building, which, if it works, should be .... 'Fun'

I also want to institute an 'Interregnum' system, but I'm not sure how I'm going to actually do it.

@Illathid;
1: That's actually pretty close to what I was planning, and it would give me a valid pretext to let characters who are the children of people granted such Life Titles attempt to fight to make them Hereditary.
2: NOOOO, I Like my Brain. ;)

@Joel M Bridge; Ooooh, Thanks.
@BAMman100; Thanks!
@SkippyW; Oh, looks like I accidentally shipped my personal topology.bmp file. I actually got that from kemerover, who posted it on page 8 of the 10$ DLC thread, Here. I hadn't intended to include that, I just tossed it in my version of the mod because I think 3d-maps on Historical Grand Strategy Games are one of the dumbest things to ever enter the Video Gaming industry.* Eventually I will redesign the map so it looks like a hand Drawn Medieval Map.

Oh, the Laws set to Never is WAD. There should be a Decision under the Intrigue Panel called 'Reform the Kingdom of ...', openning that will let you start your country along the path to reform.

I will be adding Coronation Events for each Kingdom, even if just so they can serve as Maintenance Events. Specifically, until the Coronation Event has fired, the new King will be extremely vulnerable to plots to Depose Him. I will also work to add a system of 'Pre-Crowning' the Heir before the current King has actually died, that should be interesting...

Most of these Coronation Events will likely just have cosmetic differences at the start (Exception being the HRE) however I would like to diversify them, even if just in the localizations, so any further info would be awesome.

*This Statement may be a bit Hyperbolic, but only slightly.