• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(52491)

Captain
Jan 5, 2006
This mod attempts to give more variety to holdings and provinces by giving some of them a stronger start and distinguishing the great cities of the time. I gave many new buildings and extra holdings to dozens of provinces; all according to their historical situation at mid-11th century. Owning some holdings will make a significant difference and provinces such as Byzantion, Cairo, Kiev, Baghdad will truly be the jewels of your empire. Expect Byzantium, Seljuks, Fatimids & various Italian lords to be a lot more stronger!

Notes:

*This mod still hasn't been tested for balance! It shouldn't make too much of a difference but keep your eye on the situation at Iberia. I buffed Sevilla, Toledo & Cordoba so I expect christians to have a much harder time. If it's proves too imbalanced I'm going to buff christians as well.

*I haven't touched at military buildings too much (with some exceptions) and focused at economy & income levels first. If you know about famous castles and fortresses standing in 1066, let me know!

*I changed the religion of some provinces in the Khorasan region from Zoroastrian to Sunni & Shiite because it doesn't make any sense for those populations to still be non-muslim at 11th century. Jesus, Paradox. :rolleyes:

Future Plans
aka. things I'd like to do if I find the time

*Modify more provinces, add more buildings and generally make provinces more varied. All according to history of course. I feel some regions such as Italy need some special attention. Please give me feedback!

*Fix possible balance issues.

*Come up with a system or a bunch of events to simulate the demise of cities so not every province starting at a great position snowballs into more wealth & power. I'm thinking building & holding destroying events, such as natural disasters, plagues and conquest or war related things. Particularly the mongols should receive some special attention. Unfortunately I know little about event scripting so I'd appreciate any help.

*Perhaps new building types and culture-specific buildings

Attachments

• Cities1066.zip
    27,3 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
I did something similar. I was a bit disappointed by the lazy distribution of province upgrades. The Byzantines start with every province having level 1 upgrades and all Muslim provinces have level 1 stables. As I often play as one of the Russian duchies I also didn't like the Cumans having the pagan Warrior Cult building. I mean I imagined, and I admittedly don't know much about them, the Cumans to be a sort of proto-Mongol horde with lightning cavalry raids rather than hordes of lightly armoured foot soldiers. Anyway, thanks for the mod.

I did something similar. I was a bit disappointed by the lazy distribution of province upgrades. The Byzantines start with every province having level 1 upgrades and all Muslim provinces have level 1 stables. As I often play as one of the Russian duchies I also didn't like the Cumans having the pagan Warrior Cult building. I mean I imagined, and I admittedly don't know much about them, the Cumans to be a sort of proto-Mongol horde with lightning cavalry raids rather than hordes of lightly armoured foot soldiers. Anyway, thanks for the mod.

Cumans are in the Altaic group I believe, so they get that special building that adds cavalry levy at least. But it gives such a pitiful amount when compared to Warrior Cult. I agree some attention should be given to Eastern Europe and Russia but for now I focused on Mid-East and Europe

This is great. Thanks.

I was really disappointed when I realized that all holdings were the same, just differentiated based on culture/religion.

The only suggestion that I have at this point is that maybe the Normans should have their own culture specific building that gives them knights. I don't know that much about the Normans, but I figured that they had pretty good armored mounted knights that helped them conquer sicily and england. I'm saying this because right now it seems that Apulia can't ever conquer Siciily within a few decades, which is not historical. Also, the units that William starts off with in the first scenario are far higher than he can raise normally. If the Normans had a building making them a bit stronger than this would be great.

Same goes for Seljuks (who can't neat Byazantine) and Almohads.

A good event would a sacking one. It could trigger off a successful siege being more likely the richer the city, and super likely if the siegers are mongols. It would destroy a random building and give 50 -100 gold.

I don't think that it would be that hard. I could try cooking something up when I get the time.

Excellent mod idea. Keep it up!

Besides where did you get your information from? And I would suggest to first rework all duchies in the game so that there is no more imbalance because some duchies's capitals have not been reworked. If it is imbalanced because of history thats ok :)

EDIT:

The mod "Deus Vult" for Crusader Kings 1 also had an improved historical 1066 scenario. Maybe you could take the changes from that mod. It can be found here:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?325865-The-Deus-Vult-Improvement-Pack

This file contains the improved province data:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20650&d=1260727752

Just open the file and select the file "1066_scenario_provinces.inc" in the folder "scenarios".

Last edited:
This is pretty impressive. Shame I'm using BGA. :/
It's possible to use them both if you're willing to wade through the files :happy:
Which is what I'll be doing in the next few minutes. I haven't looked at the files yet, but from what euphorist wrote in the OP there shouldn't be too many files one has to merge to begin with.

-edit
As a matter of fact you can use them both right off the bat. :)

This is pretty impressive. Shame I'm using BGA. :/

As wellenbrecher noted, you can use both without any issues. Just check both of them in the launcher. However BGA changes the attributes of some building types, so it would give a slightly different result than vanilla.

This is great. Thanks.

I was really disappointed when I realized that all holdings were the same, just differentiated based on culture/religion.

The only suggestion that I have at this point is that maybe the Normans should have their own culture specific building that gives them knights. I don't know that much about the Normans, but I figured that they had pretty good armored mounted knights that helped them conquer sicily and england. I'm saying this because right now it seems that Apulia can't ever conquer Siciily within a few decades, which is not historical. Also, the units that William starts off with in the first scenario are far higher than he can raise normally. If the Normans had a building making them a bit stronger than this would be great.

Same goes for Seljuks (who can't neat Byazantine) and Almohads.

A good event would a sacking one. It could trigger off a successful siege being more likely the richer the city, and super likely if the siegers are mongols. It would destroy a random building and give 50 -100 gold.

I don't think that it would be that hard. I could try cooking something up when I get the time.

Seljuks and Almohads should be a bit stronger because I improved some provinces there. Normans in Apulia have a couple of very rich provinces too. I haven't touched the military stuff yet, so that will be the next priority.

There could be many disastrous events! I was thinking a "Commoners flee the province" event that could happen when you have a newly conquered, false religion county. It would destroy holdings and income generating buildings wholesale. We can also make you use of traits such as 'Cruel','Just', 'Greedy','Zealous' etc. as modifiers. For Mongols, I'm thinking a seperate event since the destruction Mongols caused was vastly beyond your usual pillaging & killing. Then again maybe some of these are in the game and I don't know it.

Excellent mod idea. Keep it up!

Besides where did you get your information from? And I would suggest to first rework all duchies in the game so that there is no more imbalance because some duchies's capitals have not been reworked. If it is imbalanced because of history thats ok :)

EDIT:

The mod "Deus Vult" for Crusader Kings 1 also had an improved historical 1066 scenario. Maybe you could take the changes from that mod. It can be found here:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?325865-The-Deus-Vult-Improvement-Pack

This file contains the improved province data:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20650&d=1260727752

Just open the file and select the file "1066_scenario_provinces.inc" in the folder "scenarios".

Wow, that mod is really going to help. Thanks a bunch! I did a bit of research and checked which cities and regions were commercial & cultural centers at the time and which ones were especially urbanized. Naturally when compared to Byzantium, Egypt, Persia etc. Europe was poor and peripheral and that's what you are going to see at 1066. Outside of some famous capitals I didn't play with levy sizes too much, so duchy capitals are untouched yet.

It's possible to use them both if you're willing to wade through the files :happy:
Which is what I'll be doing in the next few minutes. I haven't looked at the files yet, but from what euphorist wrote in the OP there shouldn't be too many files one has to merge to begin with.

-edit
As a matter of fact you can use them both right off the bat. :)

So I can just plop this mod into the BGA mod folder and away I go?

If I may suggest, the city of Ragusa in the province of Ragusa was an autonomous city state swearing allegiance to Byzantium, but playing all sides. Like Venice, but a lot smaller, it developed into a major trading city state in the Eastern Adriatic so I think you might modify the city similarly to Venice.

If I may suggest, the city of Ragusa in the province of Ragusa was an autonomous city state swearing allegiance to Byzantium, but playing all sides. Like Venice, but a lot smaller, it developed into a major trading city state in the Eastern Adriatic so I think you might modify the city similarly to Venice.

Ragusa is, in vanilla, a Byzantine holding. Confused the heck out of me for a little while.

If I have an existing save, do I need to turn this mod on. That was what I meant to ask :)

Yes, if you want to paly with a mod you have to turn it. Always.

Yes, if you want to paly with a mod you have to turn it. Always.

Actually, he might not. This mod just adds buildings at the start. Since the save file will record what buildings have been constructed, he shouldn't need to load the mod each time, since the save file will remember all the progress.

I think. Hey, its worth checking out. Just save, restart without the mod, and see if the buildings stay in.

I think this is why Muslim Spain is falling so quick; I started as the Emir of Sevilla and all of my provinces start out undeveloped. Entirely undeveloped. Cordoba at this time was one of the greatest cities in the world in 1066.

Mike