• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

xcrissxcrossx

Lt. General
96 Badges
Nov 23, 2010
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Majesty 2
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • East India Company Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • 500k Club
  • War of the Roses
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
[MOD] Greek Kingdoms Minimod (Version 1.3 for CK1.05)

I did not like how the game has a de jure kingdom of Byzantium, so I split it into two Greek Kingdoms. I split it into the Kingdom of Greece and the Kingdom of Anatolia. As historically wrong as this is, I feel it is slightly better than a Kingdom of Byzantium. Please note that both kingdoms are still Greek in culture.

Being from the U.S., I separated the duchies as well as I could. If there is a duchy that is in one kingdom, and someone more informed thinks it should be in another, let me know and I can update the mod.

Anyone is allowed to use this mod without my permission in their mods. It would be nice if you included something about me making this with your mod, but it is not necessary.

Here's a picture in the kingdom map-mode. This is the only thing the mod changes:

DOWNLOAD (Hellas and Anatolia): http://www.2shared.com/file/dB6cBCLg/GK13.html

-------------------------------------------------------

Haven't updated yet
For modders, I have a download just for you. This contains only the sections that have been modified, so you can add it to your own mod easier. http://www.2shared.com/file/AgkSbCba/GK121_modder.html

Last edited:
yay I requested a mod doing exactly this :D, thanks a bunch man..just one little nitpick, think it'd be possible to rename greece Romania, or Rhōmaiōn, it'd fit alot more better with this period, I hate to ask, and i'd do it myself if I had any idea how xD

yay I requested a mod doing exactly this :D, thanks a bunch man..just one little nitpick, think it'd be possible to rename greece Romania, or Rhōmaiōn, it'd fit alot more better with this period, I hate to ask, and i'd do it myself if I had any idea how xD
Well I could, but I'd like another opinion on it first. I personally think some might confuse it with modern Romania, even though it wasn't even imagined for hundreds of years after this period. Plus I looked up the term and it seems to simply be another term for the entire empire, and not the European Area alone.

I think Hellas might be the best name for it.
I looked it up and I think I agree. I will change it to Hellas in the next day or two. (It will be save compatible.)

Looks nice. Germany next? :)
I could, but I'm not sure how I would split it up. South and North makes sense to me, but I don't know what I would call them.

Have you seen any in-game effect to the empire by making these changes or do they keep it together about as well? If it doesn't make East Rome get quirky I could see including these Kingdoms. :)
I haven't seen any noticeable changes myself. Rome has always been quirky for me and it still acts quirky.

Last edited:
All of the information I can find says that Rhomania is a name for the entire Eastern Roman Empire and not simply the area west of Anatolia.
Also I looked and you are correct about Hellas referring to Pagan Greece. So far I don't like any of the three names...

From what I can find, before the Byzantines, the Latin Romans called the area Graecia, and I can't find any terms from the Byzantine Era that refer specifically to that area, so I will keep it Greece for now.

Last edited:
You shouldn't have a problem using Hellas. Yes, there was a time when the Eastern Romans felt uncomfortable about the pagan associations of Hellas/Hellene but by the time of the game, they got over it. The pagan aristocracy and academies were destroyed for good by Justinian, and declined under great pressure for the next several centuries. By the time of CK2, you'd see educated writers such as Anna Komnene referring to her people both as Romans and Hellenes, so referring to the geographic Greek peninsula as Hellas should be fine. It would be an ethnic and regional term rather than a political term, but you've already recognized that your mod is ahistorical so I suppose that's not a problem.

This mod is lovely and all, but somehow it seems to be screwing up all the coats of arms, you can even see it on the screenshots. Do you know what's causing this?

This mod is lovely and all, but somehow it seems to be screwing up all the coats of arms, you can even see it on the screenshots. Do you know what's causing this?
For some reason I thought that was a result of the patch. I will fix it. Not sure what the problem is but it shouldn't be too hard.
EDIT: I think I know what the problem is. I need to redownload the game. I think I deleted something in the landed_titles file before I learned how to use the mods folder.

Last edited:
As far as kingdoms in the German region, I would think you would only have to look at the EU3 german cultures. Saxons, Austrians, etc. Perhaps the cultural boundaries could be the De-Jure possible kingdoms even if they don't exist yet?

Also can Emperors claim Kingdom titles? I should think that the kingdoms in the HRE or Byzantine regions should not be able to be claimed unless independent. But that's an entirely different story.

Okay I fixed the flags. sorry about that.

Awesome, mate. :)

As far as kingdoms in the German region, I would think you would only have to look at the EU3 german cultures. Saxons, Austrians, etc. Perhaps the cultural boundaries could be the De-Jure possible kingdoms even if they don't exist yet?

I think if you went down that route you'd end up getting rid of the Kingdom of Germany or leaving it in a very weird shape, although perhaps it shouldn't be a kingdom anyway, like with Byzantium?

Personally I'd go for adding a Lotharingia like Darrigan didm that'd give you a sort of east/west split rather than north/south.

Also can Emperors claim Kingdom titles? I should think that the kingdoms in the HRE or Byzantine regions should not be able to be claimed unless independent. But that's an entirely different story.

I think it's always possible to create a title if you meet the requirements but you have to personally hold the requirements, so vassals having them doesn't let you make the title. Like I said though, think not know :)

EDIT: Nevermind, they can't. I started as the Byzantine Emperor got up the title information page for kingdom of Hellas and the create button gave the tooltip; "Emperors cannot create kingdom or emperor titles."

Last edited:
I would personally like to see the kingdoms of France and Germany broken up a little.
This is how i think it would work nicely

BAVARIA(Kingdom)
Bavaria(Duchy)
Swabia(Duchy)
Tyrol(Duchy)
Osterreich(Duchy)

Lorraine(Kingdom)
Upper Lorraine(Duchy)
Lower Lorraine(Duchy)
Luxembourg(Duchy)

POMERANIA(Kingdom)
Pomeranian culture group

Holland(Kingdom)
Dutch culture group

Aquitaine(Kingdom) (held by king of France initially to prevent early Aquitaine independence)
Aquitaine(Duchy)
Gascogne(Duchy)
Poitou(Duchy)
Bourbon(Duchy)

Toulouse(Kingdom) (held by king of France initially to prevent early Toulouse independence)
Toulouse(Duchy)
Auvergne(Duchy)