• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Talvos

First Lieutenant
69 Badges
Mar 23, 2009
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • March of the Eagles
  • Magicka
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Cities in Motion
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Magicka 2
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
Resketched Provinces

The borders of Crusader Kings had always bothered me - they were to smooth. For Crusader Kings II, I have began to remap the provinces, as well as the rivers, in accordance with the CKII height map file, and the location of baronies.I do not intend to add any extra counties into this mod at the moment. In some case, I will move and rename counties, however I am hesitant to do this.

Iberia, the Alps, Italy, Hungary, Poland and the Balkans have been remapped. I have moved the province of Foggia north, and have renamed it to Abruzzi. The counties follow the borders of baronies. In a few cases, this makes the counties look out of place (I am looking at you, Hungary!). I am probably going to redo these counties in a later version.

Resketched Provinces 0.2:http://www.mediafire.com/?o1mi0firb0txdfu

Old versions

0.2 Images
southerneurope.png

iberia.png

centraleurope.png

Changelog
February 14th 2012
Resketched Provinces 0.1

counties:
HRE counties remapped
Poland counties remapped
rivers:
rivers in Germany remapped
river in Aragon remapped
rivers in Italy remapped
rivers in west Russia remapped
province changes:
changed Znojmo to Oberösterreich
baronies changed
changed Osterreich to Niederösterreich
baronies altered

March 12th 2012
Resketched Provinces 0.2

counties:
Poland remapped
Iberia remapped
Italy remapped
Balkans remapped
Hungary remapped
rivers:
rivers in Iberia remapped
rivers in Balkans remapped
rivers in Hungary remapped
province changes:
changed Foggia to Abruzzi
baronies altered
duchy change:
Podlasie to Mazovia
Yatvyagi to Lithuania
Jacwiez to Torov

I currently run into a graphical issue where rivers do not join properly. Help would be appreciated in fixing this issue.

Anyone can incorporate this mod into their own work, just remember to give credit where it is due.

Thoughts and comments are welcome.

Attachments

• 42930565.png
    42930565.png
    3,7 MB · Views: 1.560
  • iberia.png
    iberia.png
    1,2 MB · Views: 268
Last edited:
I currently run into a graphical issue where rivers do not join properly. Help would be appreciated in fixing this issue.

Did you forget to put a red (255,0,0) pixel at the rivers junctions in the rivers.bmp mapfile ?

Looks really good! I was just playing in Austria and I like your improvements there.

Germany is fine, good work. But I'm sorry to say - Poland looks much better in vanilla for me. You made provinces too big at east, their border should be on the Bug river, not at east from it. This huge Yatvagi is terrible. And the western provinces... I won't say anything more about them.

It's 0.1 bersion, I wish you best, so I hope you will change it in final version. :)

Germany is fine, good work. But I'm sorry to say - Poland looks much better in vanilla for me. You made provinces too big at east, their border should be on the Bug river, not at east from it. This huge Yatvagi is terrible. And the western provinces... I won't say anything more about them.

I wasn't too sure about Poland. I mapped out where the baronies were, and, and least for the non-eastern border-counties of Poland, changed the counties to match that. Checking my maps, I realize that I did infact screw up their eastern border. What about the western provinces do not sit well with you?

Very good work!!

Here my thoughts about Austria:
I think the province Kärnten should not have a connection to Croatia, instead Steiermark should have a border with Krain, a bit like here: http://www.deutschland-im-mittelalt...en/landkarte-deutsches-reich-hohenstaufen.jpg

It's a perfect solution to create Oberösterreich out of Znojmo, and the situation there is already very good for a later start of the game around ~1260. But the province Oberösterreich is a bit too big for any starting date within the timeframe of the game. I would make Passau and Niederösterreich a little bit bigger at the expense of Oberösterreich.

Also, for the starting date in 1066, it would be fine if Oberösterreich could be called "Traungau", and Niederösterreich just "Österreich", and if they could change their names to "Oberösterreich" and "Niederösterreich" in 1260.

Very good work!!

I think the province Kärnten should not have a connection to Croatia, instead Steiermark should have a border with Krain, a bit like here: http://www.deutschland-im-mittelalt...en/landkarte-deutsches-reich-hohenstaufen.jpg

It's a perfect solution to create Oberösterreich out of Znojmo, and the situation there is already very good for a later start of the game around ~1260. But the province Oberösterreich is a bit too big for any starting date within the timeframe of the game. I would make Passau and Niederösterreich a little bit bigger at the expense of Oberösterreich.

Also, for the starting date in 1066, it would be fine if Oberösterreich could be called "Traungau", and Niederösterreich just "Österreich", and if they could change their names to "Oberösterreich" and "Niederösterreich" in 1260.

Well it is hard to have a map, which is perfect for every situation from 1066 to 1337. :) Oberösterreich or Traungau is both fine for me, but the province could be a bit smaller in this period..

Furthermore Kärnten should ideally have a bit of the territory currently still a part of Innsbruck (Kärnten is also north of Friuli/Aquileia).

More in general great work, once I know how to add provinces correctly I might consider and/ or suggest;) adding Cilli/Celje (south of Steiermark, north of Krain and east of Kärnten), Hessen (between Nassau and Thüringen and south of Göttingen), Berg (right bank of the Rhine, east (part) of Köln, near Kleve, Jülich, Nassau) and in the low countries Namur, Limburg (and maybe split Chiny from Luxembourg) and EDIT: not in the HRE split Abruzzi from Spoleto and add that to the kingdom of Sicily.

Finally regarding Poland the vanilla eastern borders were a bit better, but I can't find issues with western parts, which border the HRE.

Last edited:
What about the western provinces do not sit well with you?

Look:
- Lubusz seems more like modern voivodeship, not like real territory of the land: Wiki article (check maps), map (XIII c.) - too much in north (and south, even when normal game creates Zielona Góra barony in Lubusz - when should be in "Lower" Silesia - it makes me creeps)
- according to it, Poznan is also too wide in north-south, and with Kalisz huge (same with Gniezno) and too much shifted to Silesia (propably because of Gniezno)
- that's why Greater Poland seems to be bigger than it really was - especially comparing it with this such "slim" Silesia
- why's Kłodzko land seems to be part of Silesia? It was part of Bohemia then: Wiki, modern map, map XI c.

Maybe you should check Mappa Regnorum for CK1: this picture is taken from thrashing mad's AAR, but it shows all polish provinces: here
NOTE: the province where soldiers are fighting is Opava, which was part of Bohemia in 1066.

Compare it with original map of CK2, those two are more proper for me than yours. Still saying, only Poland, Germany is quite good :)

EDIT: Finally, I found blank map for Mappa Regnorum, though it's 1.3 version (1.8 was final). But Poland wasn't changed anyway.

Last edited:
Look:
- Lubusz seems more like modern voivodeship, not like real territory of the land: Wiki article (check maps), map (XIII c.) - too much in north (and south, even when normal game creates Zielona Góra barony in Lubusz - when should be in "Lower" Silesia - it makes me creeps)
- according to it, Poznan is also too wide in north-south, and with Kalisz huge (same with Gniezno) and too much shifted to Silesia (propably because of Gniezno)
- that's why Greater Poland seems to be bigger than it really was - especially comparing it with this such "slim" Silesia
- why's Kłodzko land seems to be part of Silesia? It was part of Bohemia then: Wiki, modern map, map XI c.

Maybe you should check Mappa Regnorum for CK1: this picture is taken from thrashing mad's AAR, but it shows all polish provinces: here
NOTE: the province where soldiers are fighting is Opava, which was part of Bohemia in 1066.

Compare it with original map of CK2, those two are more proper for me than yours. Still saying, only Poland, Germany is quite good :)

EDIT: Finally, I found blank map for Mappa Regnorum, though it's 1.3 version (1.8 was final). But Poland wasn't changed anyway.

The map of the HRE IMHO looks much much better in this mod, but Poland already looked quite good on the vanilla CK 2 map; partly because as an exception on the rule the vanilla version of the map of areas like France and Poland were changed from CK to CK 2, whereas most areas like the HRE were mostly left unchanged.
So basically combine this version of the map for the HRE with the vanilla map for Poland? ;) Although I don't know whether aligning those two will give issues in border areas like Pommerania-Pomeralia-Mecklenburg, Brandenburg-Lubusz (Lebus) and Bohemia & Moravia-Silesia.

Very good work!!

I'll look into those changes in Austria.

Well it is hard to have a map, which is perfect for every situation from 1066 to 1337. :) Oberösterreich or Traungau is both fine for me, but the province could be a bit smaller in this period..

Furthermore Kärnten should ideally have a bit of the territory currently still a part of Innsbruck (Kärnten is also north of Friuli/Aquileia).

More in general great work, once I know how to add provinces correctly I might consider and/ or suggest;) adding Cilli/Celje (south of Steiermark, north of Krain and east of Kärnten), Hessen (between Nassau and Thüringen and south of Göttingen), Berg (right bank of the Rhine, east (part) of Köln, near Kleve, Jülich, Nassau) and in the low countries Namur, Limburg (and maybe split Chiny from Luxembourg) and EDIT: not in the HRE split Abruzzi from Spoleto and add that to the kingdom of Sicily.

Finally regarding Poland the vanilla eastern borders were a bit better, but I can't find issues with western parts, which border the HRE.

I have modded in provinces before making this version of the map. I will see about writing a quick guide.

EDIT: I should have checked before I posted: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?585952-TUTORIAL-Creating-new-provinces-counties

Look:

Thanks for the information!

Yeah, it's only a minor issue, I agree. But IMHO, as far as I can judge for Austria, this map is already very good for every situation within the timeframe.

The HRE looks great in this map: rivers flow as they do in reality, the provinces have a beautiful shape, capitals are in the right position and even Hamburg has got a harbor.

I have more suggestions:
If the provinces around the de-jure Duchy of Tyrol stay like they are now, I would suggest to remove the mountain barrier between the provinces Innsbruck and Trent, because the Brenner Pass is one of the major transit routes across the Alps, and Innsbruck profited by it's strategical position. Moreover, Trent and South Tyrol are parts of the region Tyrol, which makes a barrier between it and Innsbruck even more annoying.
Instead, you could to put a mountain barrier between Innsbruck and Aquileia.

Last edited:
Look:

Thank for such a great link to Mappa Regnorum; it seems it contains every province I need in my game.

Version 0.2 uploaded

@SlimG
I am still working on this mod (I have been busy the last few weeks).

@Deserteur
No new provinces have been added, some have been changed though. You are welcome to use it in your own mod.