• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Splorghley

Major
96 Badges
Feb 10, 2012
Discontinued: Alas, due to serious constraints on my time, this mod is officially dead. But fear not! There are all sorts of new map mods for you to check out at the Master Mod List. If you wish to incorporate any portion of this mod into any other - feel at liberty. Have fun conquering, mes amis.

bvrheader.png

This mod corrects the borders in and around Bohemia and Moravia to their historical glory. Supplies are limited, so get it! Get it now!

Features
What this mod currently does:
  • Adjusts provinces in and around Bohemia (including city, advisor, and troop locations) for historical accuracy
  • Adjust rivers in and around Bohemia
  • Corrects baron-level titles for their new appropriate locations
What this mod will soon do:
  • Fix a couple of the regional coats of arms
  • Adjust culture in Lausitz to be Bohemian
  • Adjust the situation in Silesia (probably)
  • Visual changes to Bohemia's geography (possibly)
What this mod won't do:
  • Change province counts (BvR is a zero-sum mod)
  • Alter the balance of power

Screenshot
screenie10.png

Install Instructions
  • If using Steam, unzip the mod in "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\crusader kings ii\mod".
  • If not using Steam, unzip the mod in "C:\Program Files\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\mod".
  • Select it in the launcher.

Download
BvR 1.0 (for 1.02b)

Last edited:
Original map is better for game timeframe (except rivers, provinces and city names). Your map are from much latter time (EU3, VIctoria2 time?). Your map of Bohemia are missing land lost at The Battle on the Marchfeld in 1278, which is in original map.

Kudos on that, mate! I'll be wanting that for my game.
Thanks!

Original map is better for game timeframe (except rivers, provinces and city names). Your map are from much latter time (EU3, VIctoria2 time?). Your map of Bohemia are missing land lost at The Battle on the Marchfeld in 1278, which is in original map.

Only Austria and Styria were lost in 1278, and neither is controlled by Bohemia in 1066. I've looked it up and I think I've gotten it right, see link and link.

Very good! Possibly I'll be making a mix of all regional map mods for myself to enhance flavor, so your work will come in handy - thank you!
I see you have modified some portions of Germany, Austria and Hungary. Do you plan to expand your mod to those regions?
And you didn't mod additional provinces, only modified/renamed the existing, did you? Were any baronies added?

My few cents:

1) It would be totaly great, if you would fix those damned rivers. There is not an inch of water done properly - how does paradox manages that? Most important one - Vltava river (the big one on the left), should actualy go trough Prague instead of Plzen and definitly not originate in Bavaria.

2) There should be hills at most of Bohemian border provinces. It was the geomorphology which actualy shaped the kingdom and it looks kind of weird with flatland and trees.

3) The original province of Znojmo is realy absurd from historical point of view and it looks like fist in the face. It however makes sense from gameplay point of view. Anybody whould would like to unite Austria would have to fight Bohemia first. Also it makes claiming the duchy easier for Bohemia and makes the ai go that way. If you make it part of Moravia, you are seriously weakening the Osterreich, so I would compensate it with extra province.

4) I wouldn't erase Boleslav. The province of Hradec can't be part of duchy of Bohemia (6 counties in 1 duchy would be OP) and it can't be part of Moravia either cause it would make it too big (Moravia is definitly smaller). Plus the big Hradec looks realy ugly.

5) There is no need for Eger. The region wasn't realy important that time. I believe that the german minority is represented very well, since you get german mayors and bishops all the time. If you realy want to put it there make Plzen german.

6) Moving Upper Silesia upper (hehe) was correct move. Also Lausitz should be realy bohemian (or maybe pommerian) at the game start and arguably (realy arguably) under bohemian control at the game start.

The most accurate map i was able to found about the region is this one. Unfortunately it's in czech.

Very good! Possibly I'll be making a mix of all regional map mods for myself to enhance flavor, so your work will come in handy - thank you!
I see you have modified some portions of Germany, Austria and Hungary. Do you plan to expand your mod to those regions?
And you didn't mod additional provinces, only modified/renamed the existing, did you? Were any baronies added?

No problem! I've modified only nearby provinces that I found to be really out of whack, I probably won't go on an editing rampage through Central Europe. :) I'm trying to go for a minimal footprint, so I'm not adding or removing provinces atm. No baronies are likely to be added either, just renamed.

My few cents:

1) It would be totaly great, if you would fix those damned rivers. There is not an inch of water done properly - how does paradox manages that? Most important one - Vltava river (the big one on the left), should actualy go trough Prague instead of Plzen and definitly not originate in Bavaria.

2) There should be hills at most of Bohemian border provinces. It was the geomorphology which actualy shaped the kingdom and it looks kind of weird with flatland and trees.

3) The original province of Znojmo is realy absurd from historical point of view and it looks like fist in the face. It however makes sense from gameplay point of view. Anybody whould would like to unite Austria would have to fight Bohemia first. Also it makes claiming the duchy easier for Bohemia and makes the ai go that way. If you make it part of Moravia, you are seriously weakening the Osterreich, so I would compensate it with extra province.

4) I wouldn't erase Boleslav. The province of Hradec can't be part of duchy of Bohemia (6 counties in 1 duchy would be OP) and it can't be part of Moravia either cause it would make it too big (Moravia is definitly smaller). Plus the big Hradec looks realy ugly.

5) There is no need for Eger. The region wasn't realy important that time. I believe that the german minority is represented very well, since you get german mayors and bishops all the time. If you realy want to put it there make Plzen german.

6) Moving Upper Silesia upper (hehe) was correct move. Also Lausitz should be realy bohemian (or maybe pommerian) at the game start and arguably (realy arguably) under bohemian control at the game start.

The most accurate map i was able to found about the region is this one. Unfortunately it's in czech.

1) Rivers are on my to do list. The game is hyper sensitive to errors in the river file, so they take a bit more effort than moving the provinces about.

2) I plan to clear some of the trees away and change the terrain type to hilly, but as for visually editing the actual terrain - I'm not sure. Maybe after everything else is done. Don't want to make any promises about this.

3) Znojmo is rather galling, but your balance comments make sense. I've compensated by giving the count of Brno Weitra (Vitorazsko) in lieu of Znojmo. Weitra was being rather actively competed for by the Bohemians and Austrians, and ultimately most of it wound up in Austria, so it makes sense for it to play the same role in CK2. It's the new Znojmo.

4) I think the way I've done it now looks rather neat, have a look (de jure duchies view):
screeniealpha2.png

5) Whilst I wanted Eger to be in the game, I'm not even entirely sure who controlled it at this point. It was probably outside Bohemia altogether, so I've removed it for now, and smoothed out the map in that area (no Aš bump :) ).

6) I'll probably leave it outside Bohemia, and I already planned to change the culture. It's relatively easy to fabricate claims and grab it. Do you have any suggestions for what to rename Upper and Lower Silesia to?

Lastly, thanks for the helpful map! I can read Czech, it's not a problem.

Last edited:
Naming the mod in slang Czech is actually pretty hilarious.

Also: There is Carlstein in 1066 in the province of Prague, FTW!

Yes, yes, yes !! Excellent work, that's what I would expect from CK2 map :D

I would only ask if you will be able to make some work with Odobrites and Veleti territory. The pommeranian culture would be OK for Lausitz, but needs changing the name of it ('wendish' should suit better).

6) I'll probably leave it outside Bohemia, and I already planned to change the culture. It's relatively easy to fabricate claims and grab it. Do you have any suggestions for what to rename Upper and Lower Silesia to?

You made my day with the mod!

But regarding your question I'd use some of these: http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Księstwo_śląskie (it's Polish, but probably you won't have too much problem with it)

My suggestion is to go in this direction: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/ff/Silesia_1296-1301.jpg dividing Silesia into Głogów (on the north side of the river - historical Księstwo głogowskie/Herzogtum Glogau) and Wrocław (in the southern part - historical Księstwo świdnicko-jaworskie/Herzogtum Schweidnitz-Jauer).

Add county of Żagań/Sagan to Głogów and county of Nysa to Wrocław.

Opole and Cieszyn also need some correction. I have no idea what to do with Kłodzko/Kladsko/Glatz or Opawa/Opava/Troppau...

good job!

my thoughts:

I'm not sure if Weitra is important enough to deserve being added: It was founded in 1201, and this is the first time I see this region as part of Bohemia in a map. Could someone please translate what it says in the legend of this map:
http://www.ceskatelevize.cz/specialy/nejvetsicech/img/historie/mapa5b.gif

I have two other maps here where the borders in the southern bohemian region are the same, with weitra obviously part of Austria:

http://www.deutschland-im-mittelalter.de/bilder/landkarten/landkarte-mitteleuropa-mittelalter.jpg

http://www.deutschland-im-mittelalt...en/landkarte-deutsches-reich-hohenstaufen.jpg

If the province Znojmo was added for gameplay reasons, it came to be part of Bohemia by accident: In CK1 the same province was called "morava", and it was from 1066 on a vassal of the duchy of austria. I have no clue why they changed it, but someone must have thought it should be called Znojmo and since Znojmo definitely always was bohemian at that time, it was only logical to make it a vassal of Bohemia, if you don't look at the map and only have text files or limited knowledge about the region's history.

Visually the map is now perfect. I like the weitra - good job.

Upper Silesia: Legnice, Lower Silesia: Glogow. Also I would slightly move the border between the two provinces up(not across the river though).

The only concer what I have now is the province of Opava. Geographicaly it is correct, but it has again gameplay impacts:p :

a) Weakening the duke Vratislav. The loss of province means less income and prestige which may affect the creation of kingdom. Also it may alter the ai behaviour.

b) Strenghtening count Ota the handsome. Not only he has now the same strenght as his brother Konrád (ahistorical), but he can also create Moravia, obtaining free cb againts Konrád, which can lead to feuding.

good job!

my thoughts:

I'm not sure if Weitra is important enough to deserve being added: It was founded in 1201, and this is the first time I see this region as part of Bohemia in a map. Could someone please translate what it says in the legend of this map:
http://www.ceskatelevize.cz/specialy/nejvetsicech/img/historie/mapa5b.gif

From top:
-State borders of the Czech Republic
-The Bohemian State in 1019
-Territorial Gains
-Territorial Loses

In 1182 was Moravia awarded to Konrád Ota by Fridrich Barbarossa as an Imperial fief and a margraviate,
in 1189 Bohemia and Moravia were united under Konrád Ota on the Bohemian throne.

Thanks for the support everyone! Glad you like it.

Excellent, thanks for the map links! I will see about shuffling Silesia about some. Perhaps not for version 1, which I want out relatively soon after release, but certainly for version 2.

Arizael's map shows that Weitra was a part of the Duchy in 1019 and was progressively lost in 1179/86. Agh, I hate it when maps conflict. I am a little more inclined to go with including Weitra than not for two reasons: firstly, the people who created that map obviously took time to research that particular area's history, whereas the atlas maps may just have been assumptions based on later borders; and secondly, as Arizael noted - there needs to be a province to act as a catalyst for Austro-Bohemian conflict. Including a German-speaking de-jure-Austrian province in Bohemia guarantees some rivalry.

You're right in that the actual city of Weitra wasn't founded until 1201, but I am not sure what to call the province otherwise. Weitra is a great name if you think about it more as a regional descriptor. I could rename it to Gmünd, which was first mentioned in 1208 but probably existed some time before that.

Sigh. This would be easier if you weren't right. I could just leave Opava in the hands of the duke - there is no reason for his direct holdings to be contiguous.

Last edited:
From top:
-State borders of the Czech Republic
-The Bohemian State in 1019
-Territorial Gains
-Territorial Loses

In 1182 was Moravia awarded to Konrád Ota by Fridrich Barbarossa as an Imperial fief and a margraviate,
in 1189 Bohemia and Moravia were united under Konrád Ota on the Bohemian throne.

thx!

I still think Weitra is not important enough to be added. Austria becoming a duchy had nothing to do with it gaining or losing territory. Also, it was raised to a duchy in 1158, according to the map those regions became part of it around 1185.
However, the province "Österreich" is too big now. It should posses not as much territory to the south, so the province "steiermark" is a bit too far south. Also, to recreate the puffer region between Bohemia you could divide österreich into two provinces, one south of the danube and one north of it. It was done this way in the mappa regnorum mod of CK1. Check this one!

Also, Bohemia laying claim to Austria should not be made easier for the AI, it's enough to have it in the history files. The Babenbergers becoming extinct in the male line has nothing to do with Weitra. The claims were not because of disputed territory.

It would be great if you could expand this mod further to the HRE and Austria..

Sigh. This would be easier if you weren't right. I could just leave Opava in the hands of the duke - there is no reason for his direct holdings to be contiguous.

Maybe there' a way out - try to change Olomouc into bishopric county, as far as I know that that bishopric was founded around 1066. And then Ota should hold only Opava.

Thanks for the support everyone! Glad you like it.

Arizael's map shows that Weitra was a part of the Duchy in 1019 and was progressively lost in 1179/86. Agh, I hate it when maps conflict. I am a little more inclined to go with including Weitra than not for two reasons: firstly, the people who created that map obviously took time to research that particular area's history, whereas the atlas maps may just have been assumptions based on later borders; and secondly, as Arizael noted - there needs to be a province to act as a catalyst for Austro-Bohemian conflict. Including a German-speaking de-jure-Austrian province in Bohemia guarantees some rivalry.

You're right in that the actual city of Weitra wasn't founded until 1201, but I am not sure what to call the province otherwise. Weitra is a great name if you think about it more as a regional descriptor. I could rename it to Gmünd, which was first mentioned in 1208 but probably existed some time before that.

I agree with you, the czech map is very very likely to be more accurate. I was merely confused, because I have visited a castle in that area with a german name (the name of it's builder) and I had thought it was built in the 11th century, and they didn't say anything of it being part of Bohemia. However, now I read on wikipedia that it's construction started in 1190.

But who shall be lord of a province as small as Weitra. I haven't found a name in there that dates further back than the 12th century.

Managed to get the rivers working. Was saving the file as a 16-bit bmp instead of an 8-bit. D'oh.

screenierivers1.png

(bear in mind that cities have yet to be moved - trying to figure out what all the co-ordinates do in positions.txt.)

Last edited: