• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'd like a report from General MacArthur on the Second-Sino War.I really want to see japanese progress on the war as it places much of my strategy in place

Senator John Sarigis SC

Senator Sarigis,

Due to the perils of transporting sensitive documents through a war zone, the reports from our field observers on the Chinese front have been unfortunately delayed. As soon as we receive up-to-date information about the progress of the war, I will be sure to inform you.

With apologies,

General Douglas MacArthur,
Chief of Staff of the United States Army

((Since Avindian has played six months of in-game time since the last save, I don't actually know. That said, the Second Sino-Japanese War tends to play out one of two ways: either China is overrun quickly, or Japan gets stuck in a stalemate along the Manchurian border thanks to infrastructure damage. Since Avindian didn't mention the war in his previous SotU, I think China might hold the Japanese back, or at least drain their MP a bit.))

Timeline: July 1, 1938 to December 31, 1938

July

July 8, 1938: Combat Medicine 1 finished; research continues.
July 18, 1938: Supply Transportation and Supply Organization 2 finished; research begins on Encryption Machine 2 and Decryption Machine 2.

August
August 21, 1938: Medium Tank Engine 2 finished; research continues.
August 24, 1938: RADAR 1 and Large Bomb 1 finished; begin research on Strategic Bomber Armament 1 and Agriculture 5.
August 26, 1938: Armored division (1 ARM x 2 CAV) completed and deployed to Charleston, WV. Attached to 9th US Army Corps.

September

September 3, 1938: Fighter Pilot Training 2 finished; research continues.
September 5, 1938: Small Arms 3 finished; research begins on Motorized Infantry.
September 6, 1938: Infantry Support Weapons finished 3; research begins on First Aid 1.
September 15, 1938: Strategic Air Command 3 and Heavy Bomber Ground Crew Training 1 finish; research begins on Strategic Bombardment Tactics 2 and Four Engine Airframe 1.
September 22, 1938: Research on Medium Tank Armor 2 and Large Fuel Tank 1 completed; research on MTA continues, begin research on Fighter Ground Crew Training 3.
September 26, 1938: 1 IC completed and deployed to LA.
September 27, 1938: Treaty of Munich.

October

October 7, 1938: Bomber Targeting Focus 2 finished; research begins on Fighter Targeting Focus 2.
October 13, 1938: Medium Bomb 1 completed; start research on Small Fuel Tank 1.
October 19, 1938: One infantry division (3 INF x 1 ART) and one armored division (1 ARM x 2 CAV) finished; armored division deployed to Topeka, KS ((which is about 45 minutes from my current location, for those who are curious :)))
October 30, 1938: Major Worker Strike! Also, Marine Infantry finished. Begin research on Cargo Hold, by executive order. ((One of these days I'll remember that 4 x INF paras don't work without the upgrades :rolleyes:))

November

November 3, 1938: Self-Propelled Artillery Brigade finished; begin research on Operational Level Organization 2, by executive order.
November 5, 1938: Medium Tank Gun 2 finished; research continues.
November 13, 1938: Artillery Carriage and Sights 2 finished; research continues.
November 14, 1938: Artillery Barrel and Ammunition 2 finished; research continues.
November 20, 1938: IC built and deployed to LA.
November 23, 1938: 3 IC completed; deployed to LA, Seattle, and Denver.
November 24, 1938: Heavy Bomber Pilot Training 3 completed; research continues.
November 27, 1938: With additional IC, 5 RADAR stations begun by SecWar's recommendation.

December

December 23, 1938: Agriculture 5 finished; research continues.
December 31, 1938: Aero Engine 1 finished; begin research on CAS Pilot Training 3 by executive order. 3 IC completed and deployed in LA, Seattle, and Denver. Construction begins on 5 additional RADAR stations.

State of the Union on the way.

State of the Union: January, 1939

My fellow Americans,

I am very worried about the state of Europe and what we should do about it. The British and French signed away Sudetenland, an area crucial for the defense of Czechoslovakia, without even consulting us on our opinion. Prime Minister Chamberlain has claimed that this treaty will be "Peace in Our Time"; I wish I had his optimism.

treatyofmunich.jpg

At least China has withstood the Japanese advance very well. The Ambassador to the Republic of China has provided this map for your perusal:

sinojapanesewar.jpg

While the world continues to change, there is still trouble within our own borders. A major strike broke out in one of the new Los Angeles industrial complexes.

majorworkerstriker.jpg

I know some of the Republicans will fault me for not taking drastic action, but the right to protest is a fundamental civil right, and I will not deprive any American of the right to exercise it. Both sides were able to work out an agreement, I am happy to say, although it will mean a drastic increase in Consumer Goods for the time being.

The west coast has been industrializing very nicely. One of the most interesting things that our scientists have shared with me is RADAR, a new technology that promises to make it easier to identify air planes and naval vessels. I do not know of any other country that has this, and I have given Director Hoover explicit instructions that things are to remain this way.

Our Industrial Capacity, as a whole, is very impressive, and it is, once again, time to spend it. To expedite things in our time of need, I would ask that all bills be ready for voting by Monday at 10 PM CST (-6 GMT).

Thank you, and good night.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Leadership and IC:

leadershipz.jpg

ictotal.jpg

Tech queue and build queue:

techqueue.jpg

buildqueue.jpg

Save for January 1, 1939: Click here.

We need new bills for spending. We have 167 IC and 35.29 (call it 36) leadership.

It's also been a while since we've polled on foreign policy, so let's go ahead and do that again. Comintern, Allies, Axis, or Isolationist.

I must object to all of these new factories being concentrated in the west. People in the east need jobs, and my constituents in Georgia especially need good jobs.

((You don't .rar your saves?))

I must object to all of these new factories being concentrated in the west. People in the east need jobs, and my constituents in Georgia especially need good jobs.

((You don't .rar your saves?))

((I could, if it would be easier for folks, but I think most people have broadband these days or something similar. If anybody has problems, let me know.))

Why on earth are we spying on the UK and France? Surely the OSS has better things to spend taxpayer money on? While your concerns about the several Fascist nations may be justified, certainly we do not consider other democracies a threat? Additionally, I must decry the wasteful spending by the executive branch. The money wasted on office parties or whatever you are doing with it could be better spent putting our people back to work. ((This is concerning the extra ic spent on dissent reduction when we have 0 dissent))Some of that money could be better used building factories in the great state of Georgia, for example.

Senator Newman (R) Georgia.

hoi32.jpg

hoi31.jpg

((I could, if it would be easier for folks, but I think most people have broadband these days or something similar. If anybody has problems, let me know.))
((I was just surprised, it downloaded fast enough. I guess it isn't a big deal))

Why on earth are we spying on the UK and France? Surely the OSS has better things to spend taxpayer money on? While your concerns about the several Fascist nations may be justified, certainly we do not consider other democracies a threat? Additionally, I must decry the wasteful spending by the executive branch. The money wasted on office parties or whatever you are doing with it could be better spent putting our people back to work. ((This is concerning the extra ic spent on dissent reduction when we have 0 dissent))Some of that money could be better used building factories in the great state of Georgia, for example.

Senator Newman (R) Georgia.

*snip*

Senator,

The French and British may be our friends, but that doesn't mean they always will be. Even allies do not share information on all things willingly.

President Roosevelt

((I did this for RP reasons, since we could very easily decide to join the Axis. Also, espionage is based off of leadership, not IC, so your point about factories doesn't make much sense, although I do like the parochialism! :D))

Love this idea! Just getting caught up on the boards and found this gem. Settling in for more!

Settle in? Pah! You should join! :)

((I did this for RP reasons, since we could very easily decide to join the Axis. Also, espionage is based off of leadership, not IC, so your point about factories doesn't make much sense, although I do like the parochialism! ))
((Yeah, but I cannot complain about "leadership" in character.))

((Heh, Japan is having a rough day. Also, we finally managed to get SPART tech! :) I've been trying to figure that one out for ages, so I'm pleased we can finally take Light Tank techs off my research queue, even if we'll need it later for MECs.))

My fellow Senators,

I seek a co-sponsor for both next year's budget and for legislation related to the grave situation in China; if you are interested, please contact me privately.

- Senator Stephen McCarthy (D-TX)

My fellow Senators,

I seek a co-sponsor for both next year's budget and for legislation related to the grave situation in China; if you are interested, please contact me privately.

Senator McCarthy. Please present your bill in open forum for all to see. Why the skullduggery? Do you intend to give taxpayer money to a foreign nation? I would oppose such a notion with all my being.

((How are we going to handle filibusters?))

"Senator Gordon Sinclair walked in the room with a face that drew paler every day. Everybody in the senatorial office knew that his health was rapidly declining. He was often seen with a cloth, bloodied which he held after coughing with a thunderous sound, and the current events weren't making it any better. The last couple of months had seen the inevitable rise of fascism under command of Mussolini and Adolf Hitler, and the Allies in which he had so trusted to stop the spread of these dangerous ideologies were doing nothing. It seemed the stronger Germany grew, the Senator got weaker. The last few years the Senator's only goal was to stop Hitler, and now with the treaty of Munich the allies he needed the most were deserting him in his crusade. It was humiliating to see how the once staunch man was losing everything he ever fought for. His reluctance to retire from Senatorial office, however was most admirable indeed.

With the signing of the treaty of Munich the senator had stopped all correspondence with Neville Chamberlain, saying that with this signing you have lost your greatest ally in the US senate and your only American friend who likes a cup of tea. He began however writing a lot of letters to the English politicians who abstained from voting including; Churchill, Eden, Cooper and Harold Macmillan. With every letter he received and sent, his conviction grew stronger and stronger. He said this in the most awe inspiring voice when asked about retirement due to his health by an anonymous reporter: " Dear man, I will only find rest and comfort, when I am certain that fascism has died by the hands of those who believe in freedom, and are ready to fight for it anywhere and anytime."

((I was really troubled how to vote this round. I'm voting Allies, but against Neville Chamberlain. It would be stupid for my character who is so anti-fascist to just accept this proposal. So I tried to make a natural continuation of supporting the Allies whilst not sounding hypocritical about a possible war against Germany. You can blame the Allied Espionage thing on me in this way as well, saying that I (and possibly other US senates) am/are having contact with the anti-appeasement politicians.

I also might be up to support another bill, although I need to know which direction it is heading. It would really fit my character seeing he is working overtime to the extent of killing himself in the process.))

Senator McCarthy. Please present your bill in open forum for all to see. Why the skullduggery? Do you intend to give taxpayer money to a foreign nation? I would oppose such a notion with all my being.

((How are we going to handle filibusters?))

Senator Newman,

My "skullduggery," as you have poorly termed it, stems from the Congressional rule that all bills require a co-sponsor before they can be brought to the floor. I will gladly reveal my bill to you as soon as I find another Congressman willing to support my position.

((Don't know if the filibuster would work here, since we're posting in succession. Personally, I always thought that a majority vote meant voting for cloture and then voting the same way on the bill.))

EDIT: ((Also, Jos Ballenbak, if you're interested, I'll send you a copy of my China bill. You might like it.))

The Japanese Embargo and Emancipation Bill

Honored Senators,

After much discussion, Senator Sinclair and I have devised the following response to Japan's provocations in the Far East.

Should you have any questions about how this bill will be implemented, I will be happy to answer them.

- Senator Stephen McCarthy, D-TX

Japanese Embargo and Emancipation Bill
Co-Sponsors: Stephen McCarthy (D-TX), Gordon Sinclair (D-IL)​

Background​

Section 1. As of January 1st, 1939, America runs a daily trade deficit with the Empire of Japan valued at $14,430,000. Every day, we export an average of 9,800 tons of rare materials, 43,680 tons of metal, and 7,390 gallons of crude oil to Japan, while we import 138,760 tons of military supplies from Japan. Given how crucial our trade is to the Japanese economy, we should have significant influence over Japan's international behavior.

Section 2. Over the past decade, the Empire of Japan has engaged in a systematic campaign to subjugate the people of China to its rule. This campaign began on September 19, 1931, when - in direct violation of orders from the elected Japanese government, and acting on fabricated evidence of Chinese sabotage - Japan's Kwantung Army invaded and conquered the Chinese province of Manchuria. Its recent invasion of China, begun on July 1st, 1937, at the Marco Polo Bridge, seems intended to achieve the same result: to expand Japan's influence over China by force.

Section 3. Particularly in light of the "2-2-6 Incident," in which extremist elements of the Japanese military attempted to establish an imperial dictatorship, the formerly democratic Japanese government has displayed a worrisome tendency towards dictatorial rule. In particular, its installation of the former Qing Emperor Pu Yi as the puppet "Emperor of Manchukuo" appears to signal a clear disregard for the rights of Japan's Chinese and Korean "subjects."

Section 4. Between Japan's militarism in China, its army's dominance over civilian affairs, and the quiet collaboration between major Japanese military, industrial, and cultural leaders, Japan appears to be sliding towards a fascist government.

Action

Section 1. In light of the Empire of Japan's unwarranted and disproportionate aggression against the Republic of China, the United States of America hereby imposes an embargo on all American trade with Japan. This embargo shall be lifted when the Empire of Japan agrees to submit to American-led mediation of its conflict with the Republic of China, pending an impartial investigation of the so-called "Marco Polo Incident."

Section 2. Given the dominance of the Japanese military over its government, which has repeatedly overridden the wishes of the legitimately elected Japanese Parliament to pursue its commanders' personal agendas, the United States of America hereby authorizes the CIA to support democratic elements within Japanese society, by whatever means it deems most effective, to ensure the return of constitutional government to Japan.

In response to the Japanese E/E Bill, I do not believe it falls in line with our standard act of isolationism. How can we say we are isolationists... when we are going to embargo Japan?

Also, I'd like to announce that I am switching political parties. No longer am I a member of the Communist Party United States, but I hereby change my alignment to the Democratic Party.

Signed,
Senator Mary Phillipps, California
Social Democrat

In response to the Japanese E/E Bill, I do not believe it falls in line with our standard act of isolationism. How can we say we are isolationists... when we are going to embargo Japan?

Also, I'd like to announce that I am switching political parties. No longer am I a member of the Communist Party United States, but I hereby change my alignment to the Democratic Party.

Signed,
Senator Mary Phillipps, California
Social Democrat

Senator Philipps,

Firstly, I'm pleased to see that you've joined our party - we can always use more members.

As for the E/E bill, the primary reason I am suggesting an embargo on Japan is to ensure that we will not be drawn into conflict in the future. Hopefully, in light of the fact that their year-long war has barely taken them across the Chinese border, the Japanese will agree to a cease-fire and mediation, so that we can resolve these disputes without violence. Failing that, without our resources, Japan will eventually have to come to terms with the Chinese, if only to save its domestic industries from total collapse.

- Senator McCarthy

Senator Philipps,

Firstly, I'm pleased to see that you've joined our party - we can always use more members.

As for the E/E bill, the primary reason I am suggesting an embargo on Japan is to ensure that we will not be drawn into conflict in the future. Hopefully, in light of the fact that their year-long war has barely taken them across the Chinese border, the Japanese will agree to a cease-fire and mediation, so that we can resolve these disputes without violence. Failing that, without our resources, Japan will eventually have to come to terms with the Chinese, if only to save its domestic industries from total collapse.

- Senator McCarthy

I agree with Senator McCarthy in this matter. Our extensive trade with the Japanese is indeed helping their war effort, and while we keep on trading with them it might be considered support. I believe we should continue to stay isolationist, and by that NOT aid Japanese war effort. Furthermore, I would support an investigation into the Marco Polo bridge incident, as the Japanese claim seems weak in my eyes. I hereby pledge my support to the Japanese Embargo and Emancipation bill.

- Senator Charles Beckendorf, D-MA

((Since I don't have the mod, I cannot run the save on my computer. Therefore I wonder how much we trade with China, since we should not in reality support their effort either))

"Fellow Senators, while I can agree in principle that the Japanese have conducted themselves with dishonour and prosecuted a war overseas, we must remind the Congress that Japanese trade is one of our important links in the global economic network. As a country still suffering from the economic depression, can we afford to negate this trade and potentially harm our economy further? Furthermore, instituting an embargo against Japan would be unnecessary aggression for an American populace that desires peace. I was not elected to conduct war, Senators, I was elected to bring wealth and prosperity to this country; you would drag us into an unnecessary war in Asia with no potential for American profit!"

- Senator Sarah O'Hanahan, D-OR