• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((Unfortunately I can't propose bills due to the fact that I know next to nothing about the gameplay features of HOI. I will vote on bills and will make suggestions based on my knowledge of the period. It won't be efficient gameplay wise, but then again I never do that in any of these kinds of games... just not my style. Also, what is everyone's reaction to John Davis' addition to the "American Faction" Proposal?))

(( OOC I think it sounds like a lot of fun. In-character, the Navy doesn't relish the prospect of potentially fighting the Japanese *and* British Navies if fate swings that way, but is confident it can handle anything thrown at it. ))

Sen. John Davis of Indiana proposes a possible fifth option: Form a fourth faction, The American Faction. This faction would theoretically consist of the free nations of the Western Hemisphere. The American Faction would fight the twin evils of Imperialism and Communism. If the Allies, though are imperialists they still hold the basic western ideals of freedom, agree to dismantle their antiquated empires they are more than welcome to join forces with the still theoretical "American Faction" to eliminate the Axis and Comintern. But I hope I never see the day when America joins forces with Hitler or that Stalin fellow.

I've made my proposal and my case for it now I await the decision of my honorable colleagues.

Senator Davis,

Given our large population and industrial capacity, if we were to join the Allies, we would effectively lead that alliance - at which point, we could influence our allies to grant independence to their colonies without recourse to arms. As the Army is likely to be busy in the foreseeable future, I must request that we refrain from alienating some of the few major allies that we are likely to have.

Respectfully,
General Douglas MacArthur,
Chief of Staff, United States Army

((EU3NOOB: It's an interesting idea, but I seriously doubt we'll have the time - it'll probably be at least 1945 before we beat the Axis, and if we plan to take out the Comintern as well, we'll be looking at 1946-1947 at a minimum before we'll have forces ready to DoW the Allies. Honestly, if we're serious about stopping our fellow Allies' imperialism, Avindian could just take control of the European Allies after the war and release any country that can be released, to simulate us saying "we're dismantling your empires now, have a nice day!" That won't release the various African nations, of course, but then African decolonization is really beyond the time-scope of HoI3 unless we want to extend it into the '60s. Given that we haven't even started WWII yet, I'd rather just focus on the Axis for now.))

Given that there seems to be no major change in foreign policy, I think the most sensible decision is to simply call the voting period over. It's only 3 IC, I'll find a good home for it. I've got to update my other two AARs first, but I should have that done this weekend. If there's any bills introduced in the meantime, so be it, but I'll just continue on as is regardless, at least until 1938.

Given that there seems to be no major change in foreign policy, I think the most sensible decision is to simply call the voting period over. It's only 3 IC, I'll find a good home for it. I've got to update my other two AARs first, but I should have that done this weekend. If there's any bills introduced in the meantime, so be it, but I'll just continue on as is regardless, at least until 1938.

((And here I was wanting to vote Isolasionist, not that it would have mattered.
If I understand correctly the HoI3 timeline only goes as far as 1948? Thats a bummer, HoI2 went all the way to 1963))

((And here I was wanting to vote Isolasionist, not that it would have mattered.
If I understand correctly the HoI3 timeline only goes as far as 1948? Thats a bummer, HoI2 went all the way to 1963))

((I don't remember the exact date -- I think it's December 31 but I won't swear to it -- but yes, 1948 is the end date. Darkest Hour goes up to 1963, which makes sense, since it's based on HOI2. I'm hopeful that perhaps a future expansion for HOI3 will extend the end date. In any event, if we need to extend it, I'll extend it.))

((I don't remember the exact date -- I think it's December 31 but I won't swear to it -- but yes, 1948 is the end date. Darkest Hour goes up to 1963, which makes sense, since it's based on HOI2. I'm hopeful that perhaps a future expansion for HOI3 will extend the end date. In any event, if we need to extend it, I'll extend it.))

((Yeah, it's very moddable, although it can get a bit unstable past the 1948 date.))

Timeline of events: July 1, 1937 to December 31, 1937

July
July 1, 1937: Japan uses Marco Polo Bridge Incident. Communist and Nationalist China honor the alliance with Shanxi.
July 2, 1937: Xibei San Ma joins war with Japan.
July 5, 1937: Japan joins Axis; all Chinese warlords move towards Allies.
July 15, 1937: With the dissent burned off, IC allocated for consumer goods returns to normal.
July 19, 1937: Supply Organization 1 is finished; research begins on Nuclear Research.

August
August 22, 1937: Integrated Support 1 is finished; research begins on Medium Tank Engine 1.
August 24, 1937: Aircraft Carrier Armor 4 is finished; research continues, but is pushed to bottom of tech queue.
August 26, 1937: Mass Assault 1 and Assault Concentration 2 are completed; research begins on Medium Tank Gun 1 and Medium Tank Reliability 1.

September
September 17, 1937: Infantry Support Weapons 2 is finished; further research is cancelled with no replacement. ((We had two or three too many techs at this point.))
September 27, 1937: Infantry Division completed; deployed to Boston, MA.
September 30, 1937: Strategic Bomber completed; deployed to Boston, MA. With spare IC, training of 82nd Airborne Division (4 x PARA) begins by Executive Order.

October
October 12, 1937: Interceptor Squadron completed; deployed to San Diego, CA.
October 18, 1937: Naval Underway Replenishment 1 is completed; research continues.
October 28, 1937: Naval Bomber Squadron is completed; deployed to San Diego, CA. Construction of one wing of Transport Aircraft begins by Executive Order.
October 30, 1937: CLs USS Brooklyn and USS Philadelphia are commissioned and deployed to Seattle, WA. Misfiled plans result in belated construction of 8 parallel IC, according to Secretary Wagner's 1937 FY budget.

November
November 6, 1937: Battleship Engine 3 is finished; research continues. CVL USS Independence is commissioned and deployed to Seattle, WA.
November 9, 1937: Light Artillery 2 is finished; research continues.
November 13, 1937: Infantry Anti-Tank Weapons 2 is finished; research continues.
November 16, 1937: Blitzkrieg and Schwerpunkt 1 are finished; research continues.
November 19, 1937: Commander Decision Making and Fire Control System Training 1 are finished; research continues.
November 21, 1937: Spotting 1 is finished; research continues.
November 30, 1937: Medium Tank Armor 1 is finished; research continues.

December
December 25, 1937: Light Tank Gun 3 is finished; research continues.
December 29, 1937: Operational Level Organization 1 is finished; research continues.

Note: At some point, I finished the other Supply tech and cancelled further research on that.

State of the Union on the way.

State of the Union: January 1938

My fellow Americans,

Since we last spoke, the Axis has a gained a powerful adherent: the Empire of Japan, who has declared war upon the various factions in China.

37japwar.jpg

37newaxis.jpg

Every warlord in China is turning to the United Kingdom for assistance, even the Communists. Can we ignore one of our most valuable trading partners? Some of the Chinese factions have even broken trade agreements with us, claiming they can no longer afford to pay us the fees originally agreed upon.

The latest intelligence from Mr. Astor suggests that progress for the Japanese is slow, but we cannot assume that will continue forever.

37japadvance.jpg

Although our capacity both military and industrial continues to grow, one of my aides has alerted me to a disturbing shortage of officers; we have approximately 70% of the officers we require if war were to break out tomorrow. I would recommend we fund our service academies at a higher rate to ensure this deficiency does not grow worse.

I have also created, by Executive Order, the 82nd Airborne Division and the necessary equipment to transport them. If we do enter into some sort of conflict, our great distance would preclude us from sending the bulk of our army overseas; a more mobile force is an excellent spearhead. I also recommend that research on better Marine equipment commence as quickly as possible.

We must create a budget for FY 1938, but more important, we must see how we are to address Japan's imperialist aggression. I am prepared to entertain any options the Senators may have.

Thank you, and good night.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
We have 33 leadership and 160 IC, currently distributed thusly.

37lsp.jpg

37ic.jpg

Here is the tech and build queue:

37techqueue.jpg

37icqueue.jpg

Here's the save game: Click here.

Since most of you vote isolationist, instead of having everybody individually express a vote for our direction, I'm going to require a foreign policy recommendation from at least two Senators before we make any concrete decisions, and we'll vote on it like we would a budget bill.

All bills should be submitted by Wednesday, February 1, at 10 PM CST (-6 GMT).

(OOC: Have the Soviets done the Great Purge yet? That's crucial for my character.)

((Curse me and my slowness. My character was going to defect from the Communists to Social Democrats.))

((I'm going to have to remove myself from the AAR because of health problems taking up most of my time for the forseable future))

((We'll miss you, Tallfellow.))

With the recent war in China, perhaps we should choose a side to support? If Astor is willing, I'd like a report on which side is friendlier to us and would benefit us more in keeping them around. Japan may have more of an industrial base and a more stable political situation, but China is a democracy and the victim in the war. Grey and gray politics is never fun, my friends.

- Senator Elexis Sinclaire (R - MA)

((I'm going to have to remove myself from the AAR because of health problems taking up most of my time for the forseable future))

Get well soon!

With the recent war in China, perhaps we should choose a side to support? If Astor is willing, I'd like a report on which side is friendlier to us and would benefit us more in keeping them around. Japan may have more of an industrial base and a more stable political situation, but China is a democracy and the victim in the war. Grey and gray politics is never fun, my friends.

Senator,

Please send me a list of what exactly you are interested in and I will see to it that Mr. Astor provides the information to all.

President Roosevelt

(( Sorry to hear that - hope you get better soon and recover! ))

((Really sad news, hope that you can recover soon!))

[Get well soon. A while back I had pneumonia and I had to keep away from AARism, so I know what it's like in that situation.]

Seeing as they are both uncivilized imperialist nations I say that we keep out of the war for now and focus our resources more close to home.

~ Sen. Wilhelm Tiffany Winklebottom, R-OH

Last edited:

((It's a shame that you have to leave. Hope you get better soon, mate.))