• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

King

Part Time Game Designer
11 Badges
Dec 7, 2001
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
  • Victoria 2 Beta
One of the things we looked to do in CK2 is make the traits and abilities of the commanders become as important as possible. To this end we removed dice rolls and replaced them with combat tactics. Combat tactics affect the power of the unit types in either attack or defence. Before you ask, yes, they are fully modable.

Crusader_kings2_developerdiary_111215_01.png

The random factor in combat is all in the selection of the tactics. The combat tactics use the same scripting logic as events. You first have the trigger block that determines when a tactic is selected. One use we put for this feature is to restrict certain tactics until combat has run a certain amount of time (the transition from skirmish to melee phase is one example of this)

The real magic is in the next part; the “mean time to happen”. This is the weight that each valid tactic gets. The game will then roll a dice to select the tactic. Here we can do neat things like weight the tactic selection looking at the flank force composition and also my military ability and traits of the commander. This gives us structured randomness; yes, sometimes your amazing general will not pick the right tactic, but more often than not he will.

The other nice thing is that instead of rolling a dice roll you get a name. So instead of Robert the Bruce rolling a 9, Robert the Bruce unleashes an awesome charge sweeping the English off the battlefield. I don’t know but the second just sounds so much better.

Anyway, there is a brief rundown on combat tactics. I just leave you with one last lesson, check to see if your bastard offspring are not imbeciles before legitimising them, otherwise you need to have a handy bishopric empty.

Crusader_kings2_developerdiary_111215_02.png

Excellent stuff. Do advances in military technology have any influence on the number of available tactics or the likelihood that certain tactics will be selected?

Excellent stuff. Do advances in military technology have any influence on the number of available tactics or the likelihood that certain tactics will be selected?

Not directly but technology advances allow upgrade buildings that then modifiy the troop mix raised from certain provinces.

Isn't this actually Dev Diary #22? #21 was user modding.

I have a question, will defenders still recieve a bonus from being stationary when attacked and/or pentalties when on the march and then attacked?

Anyway, it is looking so freaking awesome! I so need this game now, it is no longer a want. :p

Say, King, I will trade you: three marbles, a rusted penny and a used toothpick to have this game right now? :D

:p

I have a question, will defenders still recieve a bonus from being stationary when attacked and/or pentalties when on the march and then attacked?

Anyway, it is looking so freaking awesome! I so need this game now, it is no longer a want. :p

Say, King, I will trade you: three marbles, a rusted penny and a used toothpick to have this game right now? :D

:p

There are terrain bonuses as well.

Ahh, coolio. :)

One more question just popped into my head!

Can any particular flank attack prematurely of the others? As in, can your left flank not partake in the Skirmish phase and directly charge the enemy while your center and right flank remain in the Skirmish phase?

Or would that be too convoluted and unnecessary?

I like this. :) Nice last minute surprise.
Much more flavourful.

Can terrain also be used as a trigger?
(I'm thinking mountain passes for ambushes or whatever).

Ahh, coolio. :)

One more question just popped into my head!

Can any particular flank attack prematurely of the others? As in, can your left flank not partake in the Skirmish phase and directly charge the enemy while your center and right flank remain in the Skirmish phase?

Or would that be too convoluted and unnecessary?

All flanks open in the skirmish phase. Then a minimum ammount of time must pass before the flank can move into melee phase. The choice of when to do this is upto the commander of the flank and each flank does so sperately.

I like this. :) Nice last minute surprise.
Much more flavourful.

Can terrain also be used as a trigger?
(I'm thinking mountain passes for ambushes or whatever).

No

Edit: Although by the end of the day you should be able to do so.

What are the reasons for putting Lappland in the game? Don't get me wrong, that province in the game is where I live in real life, I just have trouble imagening feudal warfare in northern Sweden when it was barely populated.

What are the reasons for putting Lappland in the game? Don't get me wrong, that province in the game is where I live in real life, I just have trouble imagening feudal warfare in northern Sweden when it was barely populated.

We don't need a reason. We add stuff in purely because we can, becasue we want too, because it is cool, because it's there. No every single decision is taken in reference to some master plan.

So, do traits also affect the MTTH? (At least can we mod it in?)

For example, the coward trait may increase the chase of defensive tactics being chosen by the commander. Brave, or Reckless may have the opposite.

Any stuff like that?

So, do traits also affect the MTTH? (At least can we mod it in?)

For example, the coward trait may increase the chase of defensive tactics being chosen by the commander. Brave, or Reckless may have the opposite.

Any stuff like that?

Yes there is stuff like that. A misguided warrior is less likely to select a good tactic.

We don't need a reason. We add stuff in purely because we can, becasue we want too, because it is cool, because it's there. No every single decision is taken in reference to some master plan.

Fair enough.

Yes there is stuff like that. A misguided warrior is less likely to select a good tactic.

And I assume we can add more tactics, with whatever effects we want, right?

Thanks for the answer.

And I assume we can add more tactics, with whatever effects we want, right?

Thanks for the answer.

Yeh they are all in plain text files so you can add and edit them to your hearts content. It is one of those open features that you could always add more too and as such we have to make a choice at what point to say this is done and now we only limit ourselves to fixes and tweaks.