• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Therion

Field Marshal
21 Badges
Sep 7, 2006
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • 500k Club
  • War of the Roses
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Deus Vult
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II
I will see those details later. I think Venice will start with Venetian culture (can possibly have Dalmatian merged with it), then gradually become Italian when (if) it changes focus to its terrafirma empire. If Venice maintained its Mediterranean empire, I should not think it would ever get culturally integrated into Italy and consequently Venetian would have retained its prestige as a Mediterranean lingua franca rather than become a mere regional dialect.

How well did Portugal and Spain colonize in your test? I'm currently updating Spain's colonial events and adding new ones for the new provinces. These colonial events are freebies. I really think they should be AI only.

Last edited:
What do you think about this event, Bordic?

Code:
#(1423-1441) The plan for a Lombard hegemony in Italy
#by Bordic
event = {
	id = 228049
	trigger = {
		vassal = { country = MLO country = GEN }
		owned = { province = 389 data = -1 } #Lombardia
[COLOR="#FF0000"]		owned = { province = 402 data = -1 } #Emilia[/COLOR] (ID 402 is Modena on new map)
[COLOR="#00FF00"]		owned = { province = 1921 data = -1 } #Parma[/COLOR]
		control = { province = 389 data = -1 } #Lombardia
[COLOR="#FF0000"]		control = { province = 402 data = -1 } #Emilia[/COLOR]
[COLOR="#00FF00"]		control = { province = 1921 data = -1 } #Parma[/COLOR]
		NOT = {
			war = { country = MLO country = HEL }
			alliance = { country = PAP country = MLO }
		}
	}
	random = no
	country = MLO
	name = "EVENTNAME228049" #The Lombard hegemony
	desc = "EVENTHIST228049"
	#-#After having established the Signoria over Genoa, Filippo Maria Visconti restored the political control over Lombardy also recovering the Alpine territories of Domodossola and Bellinzona as consequence of the battle of Arbedo (1422) in which Carmagnola successfully led the Milanese troops against the Swiss pikemen. Not appeased by those political successes Visconti turned his greedy ambitions on central Italy, prosecuting interrupted family's ambitious policies to expand the duchy under River Po towards Romagna. In fact, his father Gian Galeazzo, obsessed by the dream of a reborn Lombard Kingdom, spent the whole life in trying to conquer all the Italian Imperial lands to be united under the same Milanese rule. Only death dissuaded him from accomplishing his proposed task. A newly presented favourable chance was the death of Giorgio degli Ordelaffi, Lord of Forlì in Romagna : Visconti gained the support of the local nobles in establishing his own Lordship as ward of Tebaldo, Giorgio's son. That of course displeased the neighbouring cities and above all Florence, with which Milan stipulated a peace treaty in 1420 as to guarantee 10 years of non-belligerence.

date = { day = 13 month = May year = 1423 }
	offset = 30
	deathdate = { day = 15 month = November year = 1441 }

action_a ={
		name = "ACTIONNAME228049A" #Interfere in lower Po valley
		command = { type = addcore which = 391 } #Romagna
[COLOR="#00FF00"]		command = { type = addcore which = 1923 } #Ferrara[/COLOR]
		command = { type = relation which = TOS value = -25 } #peace treaties will be broken
		command = { type = relation which = VEN value = -25 }
		command = { type = relation which = PAP value = -25 } #Romagna is a Papal feud
		command = { type = relation which = SAV value = -25 }
		command = { type = relation which = PAM value = -25 }
		command = { type = relation which = MAN value = -25 }
	}
	action_b = {
		name = "ACTIONNAME228049B" #Respect the truce
		command = { type = vp value = -5 }
		command = { type = relation which = TOS value = 25 }
	}
}

Do you think I can given cores for Massa and Modena in this event as well?

There is also the Mercenary Wars event:

Code:
#(1431-1435) The Mercenary Wars
#by Bordic
event = {
	id = 228051
	trigger = {
		event = 228049 #MLO: The Lombard hegemony
		OR = {
			event = 297034 #TOS: The League against Milan
			event = 326062 #VEN: The League against Milan (if Florence doesn't exist)
		}
		owned = { province = 1921 data = -1 } #Parma
		control = { province = 1921 data = -1 } #Parma
		exists = VEN
		exists = PAP
		NOT = {
			alliance = { country = VEN country = MLO }
			alliance = { country = PAP country = MLO }
		}
	}
	random = no
	country = MLO
	name = "EVENTNAME228051" #The Mercenary Wars
	desc = "EVENTHIST228051"
	#-#For more then ten years Northern Italy was the war theater of 'Mercenari' at disposal of the best offerer between Milan and the other Italian states united in a League originally formed by Venice and Florence. It was to the interest of all soldiers of fortune of both sides to make the operations last as long as possible, to avoid decisive operations and to liberate all prisoners quickly. Consequently the campaign were very exhausting and dragged on interminably, some battles were won and others lost, truces and peace treaties were made only to be broken, and no definite result was achieved. A peace treaty was also stipulated in Ferrara in 1428 in which at first Visconti stated to renounce claims to territories lying beyond the Panaro-Magra Rivers, but refused to concede the territories of Bergamo and Brescia to Venice, which was still occupying with her troops. Political and economic interests of both sides were conflicting and when the new Pope, Eugenius IV, was being suspected of involvement with the League to damage Milan, Visconti retaliated sending his troops to invade the Papal States. That represented a violation of the peace treaty and subsequently a new Antivisconti League was formed to wage war against Milan.

date = { day = 10 month = october year = 1431 }
 	offset = 30
 	deathdate = { day = 26 month = april year = 1435 }

action_a = {
		name = "ACTIONNAME228051A" #We pursue our plans
		command = { type = addcore which = 391 } #Romagna
		command = { type = addcore which = 392 } #Marche
		command = { type = treasury value = -75 } #to hire mercenaries
		command = { type = relation which = PAM value = -25 }
		command = { type = relation which = VEN value = -25 }
		command = { type = relation which = TOS value = -25 }
		command = { type = relation which = PAP value = -25 }
		command = { type = casusbelli which = VEN value = 60 }
		command = { type = casusbelli which = PAP value = 60 } #the Pope plots with the League
		command = { type = trigger which = 220016 } #MAN: The Alliance with Milan
		command = { type = trigger which = 326063 } #VEN: Another league against Milan
		command = { type = trigger which = 297035 } #TOS: Another league against Milan
		command = { type = trigger which = 251069 } #PAP: Another league against Milan
	}
	action_b = {
		name = "ACTIONNAME228051B" #We abandon own plans
		command = { type = removecore which = 391 } #Romagna
		command = { type = independence which = TOS }
		command = { type = independence which = PAM }
		command = { type = independence which = PIS }
		command = { type = independence which = MAN }
		command = { type = [COLOR="#FF0000"]se[/COLOR]cedeprovince which = PAP value = 392 } #Marche (Sforza's aborted mission)
		command = { type = badboy value = -5 }
		command = { type = relation which = TOS value = 50 }
		command = { type = relation which = VEN value = 50 }
		command = { type = relation which = PAP value = 50 }
		command = { type = relation which = PAM value = 50 }
		command = { type = sleepevent which = 228052 } #MLO: The Treaty of Cremona
	}
}

Until Milan loses its cores with this one:

Code:
#(1441-1447) The Treaty of Cremona
#by Bordic
event = {
	id = 228052
	trigger = {
		exists = VEN
		atwar = no
		OR = {
			event = 297034 #TOS: Another league against Milan
			event = 326062 #VEN: Another league against Milan
			event = 228051 #MLO: The Mercenary Wars
		}
		OR = {
[COLOR="#00FF00"]			NOT = {	owned = { province = 1919 data = -1 } } #Brescia
			NOT = {	owned = { province = 1921 data = -1 } } #Parma
			NOT = {	owned = { province = 1417 data = -1 } } #Massa[/COLOR]
			NOT = {	owned = { province = 402 data = -1 } } #Modena
			NOT = { owned = { province = 401 data = -1 } } #Firenze
			NOT = { owned = { province = 391 data = -1 } } #Romagna
			NOT = { owned = { province = 392 data = -1 } } #Marche
			NOT = { owned = { province = 400 data = -1 } } #Siena
		}
	}
	random = no
	country = MLO
	name = "EVENTNAME228052" #The Treaty of Cremona
	desc = "EVENTHIST228052"
	#-#Several peace treaties were stipulated between Visconti and the other Italian states, amongst them Venice and Florence, forming the anti-Visconti League: as main condition the Milanese Duke had to abandon his ambitions to rule in Northern Italy. But war actually didn't and couldn't stop, Visconti soon invaded Papal States with the intention to punish the Pope Eugenius V, former Venetian Cardinal, for plotting with the League against him. Facing a new and stronger League, whose troops were commanded by Francesco Sforza, Filippo Maria succeeded in asking the condottiero to mediate with the League-confederates for an immediate peace. In exchange for that service, Sforza married Visconti's daughter Bianca Maria. Since Visconti hadn't yet any direct male heir, Sforza would be in condition to claim the throne at Visconti's death. In the treaty signed in Cremona in 1441 Venice obtained the suzerainty over the cities of Brescia, Bergamo and Ravenna while Visconti had to confirm the independence of Genoa and to give up definitely his ambitious plan of a reborn Lombard Kingdom in Northern Italy.

date = { day = 18 month = november year = 1441 }
 	offset = 30
 	deathdate = { day = 15 month = august year = 1447 }

action_a = {
		name = "ACTIONNAME228052A" #Our dreams can't be realized
		command = { type = removecore which = 391 } #Romagna (also Brescia in a new map)
		command = { type = removecore which = 392 } #Marche
[COLOR="#00FF00"]		command = { type = removecore which = 402 } #Modena[/COLOR]
[COLOR="#00FF00"]		command = { type = removecore which = 1417 } #Massa
		command = { type = removecore which = 1919 } #Brescia
		command = { type = removecore which = 1923 } #Ferrara[/COLOR]
		command = { type = relation which = VEN value = 50 }
		command = { type = relation which = GEN value = 100 }
		command = { type = relation which = TOS value = 100 }
		command = { type = relation which = PAP value = 50 }
		command = { type = independence which = TOS }
		command = { type = independence which = PAM }
		command = { type = independence which = MAN }
		command = { type = independence which = PAP }
		command = { type = trigger which = 228053 } #MLO: Effects of the Treaty of Cremona
	}
	action_b = {
		name = "ACTIONNAME228052B" #Italy is ours
		command = { type = stability value = -2 }
		command = { type = badboy value = 5 }
		command = { type = relation which = TOS value = -50 }
		command = { type = relation which = VEN value = -50 }
		command = { type = relation which = PAP value = -50 }
		command = { type = relation which = GEN value = -50 }
		command = { type = relation which = PAM value = -50 }
		command = { type = relation which = MAN value = -50 }
		command = { type = relation which = PIS value = -50 }
		command = { type = sleepevent which = 326064 } #VEN: The Peace of Cremona
		command = { type = sleepevent which = 297037 } #TOS: The Peace of Cremona
	}
}

I'm not sure if Milan should also lose core in Parma in this one.

And one last thing: do you think these cores should be claims or national?

Edit: I reckon this trigger condition:

Code:
	OR = {
			NOT = {	owned = { province = 1919 data = -1 } } #Brescia
			NOT = {	owned = { province = 1417 data = -1 } } #Massa
		}
	}

might be better off with someof instead of OR

Last edited:
MLO_228049

trigger correct but I would add Brescia too. In action A: no core should be added on Ferrara, only on Romagna and it should be claim.
Visconti had a try on Forlì in Romagna, so we don't need cores on Massa and Modena.

MLO_228051

In action A only core claims on the Papal States: Romagna and Marche and that secedeprovince in action b is to be fixed. I don't know if we should add Brescia in the trigger as owned/controlled or just owned. Maybe Brescia owned should be checked as it was historically controlled by Venetian troops in the meanwhile.

MLO_228052

In the trigger provinces 402 and 1417 are to be removed as they never were MLO claims, afaik, and also because I wanted to represent Milanese strength: all the provinces should be held by MLO in order to avoid this event. In action A only the removecore on 1919 Brescia should be added as to simulate its loss to Venice.

events seem fine to me, but did'nt VEN take ownership of Brescia from the peace of Cremona and hold it until 1797

MLO_228049

trigger correct but I would add Brescia too. In action A: no core should be added on Ferrara, only on Romagna and it should be claim.
Visconti had a try on Forlì in Romagna, so we don't need cores on Massa and Modena.
The problem is that in this map there is Ferrara between Milanese land and Romagna. Milan won't be able to do much with a CB on Romagna if it does not also invade Ferrara.

Edit: I reckon this trigger condition:

Code:
	OR = {
		}
	}

might be better off with someof instead of OR
No, iirc the "OR = { NOT = { } }"operator means that ALL provinces in there should be owned by MLO in order to avoid this event. The someof should be used for "OR = { }" only.

events seem fine to me, but did'nt VEN take ownership of Brescia from the peace of Cremona and hold it until 1797
Yes, the peace of Cremona triggers if MLO does not own Brescia, as per trigger below:

Code:

I guess we could specify that Venice has to own\control the province so we could change it with:

Code:
OR ={
owned = { province = 1919 data = VEN }
control = { province = 1919 data = VEN }
}

The problem is that in this map there is Ferrara between Milanese land and Romagna. Milan won't be able to do much with a CB on Romagna if it does not also invade Ferrara.
MLO has an alliance with Modena (PAM?) and Mantua (MAN) so they would have MA for the Papal States.

No, iirc the "OR = { NOT = { } }"operator means that ALL provinces in there should be owned by MLO in order to avoid this event. The someof should be used for "OR = { }" only.
I know but I was thinking of something like this:

Code:
		someof = {
			number = 6 #unfair to punish Milan so much for not owning 1 or 2 of these provinces
		}

Anyway, this is not particularly important so I can leave it as it was before.

Yes, the peace of Cremona triggers if MLO does not own Brescia, as per trigger below:

Code:

I guess we could specify that Venice has to own\control the province so we could change it with:

Code:
OR ={
}
Better not as the event "needs" to fire if Milan doesn't get all the provinces they need to avoid 228052.

MLO has an alliance with Modena (PAM?) and Mantua (MAN) so they would have MA for the Papal States.
Should MLO and PAM be allies? The Estense had just lost Parma to Milan and Niccolo' spearheaded the anti-Visconti League.

Better not as the event "needs" to fire if Milan doesn't get all the provinces they need to avoid 228052.
That's true, I agree.

Should MLO and PAM be allies? The Estense had just lost Parma to Milan and Niccolo' spearheaded the anti-Visconti League.
This alliance is before the antivisconti league and was made for game's balance. As you can see, all Italian minors start in alliances with other Italian minors.

However, afaik Parma was lost because they wanted to go under Visconti and not because Visconti conquered it.

Code:

Code:
OR ={
}

I do not like both owned and contol in large maps, it makes following events pass without firing and distorts history.
I prefer control only, likewise with TUR events and nearly every other state

Bordic said:
This alliance is before the antivisconti league and was made for game's balance. As you can see, all Italian minors start in alliances with other Italian minors.

However, afaik Parma was lost because they wanted to go under Visconti and not because Visconti conquered it.

Fair enough. The problem with that is that the alliance with PAM will still exist at the time of the first war with the antivisconti league (1426 IIRC).

I do not like both owned and contol in large maps, it makes following events pass without firing and distorts history.
That's true.

The estense are in a quandry, align with VEN ( an enemy who dislodged them from Este in Veneto , ancient Ateste ) and fight MLO or side with the Visconti and eventually loose their lands to MLO.
Then again coastal Romagna was under the malatesta family and they conceded their lands to VEN instead of PAP - hence Cambrain wars

I think the este, should ally with VEN for these early wars and then after the peace of Lodi ( 1451) be against VEN

Fair enough. The problem with that is that the alliance with PAM will still exist at the time of the first war with the antivisconti league (1426 IIRC).
Well, PAM has its own event about the Antivisconti league, just reduced relations and cb against Milan. But it's all. A human could break the alliance, but this is not possible by event. Any other alliance is feasible? For example Modena and Siena together starting from 1419?

The estense are in a quandry, align with VEN ( an enemy who dislodged them from Este in Veneto , ancient Ateste ) and fight MLO or side with the Visconti and eventually loose their lands to MLO.
Then again coastal Romagna was under the malatesta family and they conceded their lands to VEN instead of PAP - hence Cambrain wars

I think the este, should ally with VEN for these early wars and then after the peace of Lodi ( 1451) be against VEN

It's very difficult to simulate such diplomatic intrigues without a breakalliance command. The most we could do is make use of vassalisation/cancelvassalisation/alliance events and hope that the new ally is the alliance leader.

Yes, but here is Milan who should have ownership and control over Parma in order to wage wars. That should mean full control over Po Valley as per event description and in case of province cessions.