• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Only the Turks? The Byzantines created a very capable force of horse archers themselves too, after the Mongols showed their potential. While not born in the saddle like the Mongols, they were highly trained and well equipped and played a major role in Justinian's reconquest of Italy. See Edward Luttwak's Grand Strategy of the Byzantine Empire

I just have a problem with the word after :)

Only the Turks? The Byzantines created a very capable force of horse archers themselves too, after the Mongols showed their potential. While not born in the saddle like the Mongols, they were highly trained and well equipped and played a major role in Justinian's reconquest of Italy. See Edward Luttwak's Grand Strategy of the Byzantine Empire

Uh, Justinian's reconquest was about 600 years before the Mongols showed up. And while the Cataphracts (somewhat based on Persian mounted archers/heavy cavalry) certainly used bows, I think they're better represented as heavy cavalry, since that was their most decisive role.

Last edited:
"Resistance is futile. Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be assimilated into the collective." - Genghis Khan

This is the right quote:

“The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy, to drive him before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather into your bosom his wives and daughters.”

Genghis Khan

It seems to be that Genghis Khan was less than an ideal neighbor. I would really like to see that quote when the Mongol Horde appears. ;)

Light cavalry

The light cavalry of the Komnenian army consisted of horse-archers. There were two distinct forms of horse-archer: the lightly equipped skirmisher and the heavier, often armoured, bow-armed cavalryman who shot from disciplined ranks. The native Byzantine horse-archer was of the latter type. They shot arrows by command from, often static, ranks and offered a mobile concentration of missile fire on the battlefield.[90] The native horse-archer had declined in numbers and importance by the Komnenian period, being largely replaced by soldiers of foreign origins.[91] Turks from the Seljuk and Danishmend realms of central and eastern Anatolia, and those Byzantinised Turks and Magyars settled within the Empire, such as the Vardariots, supplied the bulk of the heavy horse-archers of the Komnenian army. Towards the end of the period Alans were also supplying this type of cavalry. Such horse archers were often highly disciplined. The Byzantine horse-archers (termed doryphoroi – indicating guard status) at Sozopolis in 1120 performed a feigned flight manoeuvre, always demanding the greatest self-confidence and discipline, which led to the taking of the city from the Turks.[92] Given that they were usually armoured, even if it was comparatively light armour, this type of horse-archer also had the capability to fight with melee weapons in close combat.

Skirmish horse-archers, usually unarmoured, were supplied by the Turkic Pechenegs, Cumans and Uzes of the steppes.[93] These troops were ideal scouts and were adept at harassment tactics. They usually attacked as a swarm and were very difficult for a more heavily equipped enemy to bring into close combat. Light horse-archers were also effective as a screening force, preventing an enemy discerning the dispositions of other troops (for example at the Battle of Sirmium).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Komnenian_army

Last edited:
This is the right quote:

It seems to be that Genghis Khan was less than an ideal neighbor. I would really like to see that quote when the Mongol Horde appears. ;)

Actually...

Conan said:
To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women

Excellent DD, King. :D

Interesting to know that the Mongols may never appear in a game; each game should now certainly have an aura of anticipation and excitement with regards to the Mongols. :)

Also, anyone notice England tearing up mainland Europe in the screenie? Just so awesome.

Great, I can't wait to fight against the Mongols, I always loved hold the line situations.

Someone asked this before and I am also quite curious, are the Hordes modable? Can we create new hordes coming from different locations?

He probably started at a date, where England historically had a great part of france under control ;)

I'm not a medieval expert, so don't hold me to this, but the date is 1219...didn't England only acquire large amounts of territory in France in the Hundred Years' War which began in 1337?

Again not a medeival expert, but always interested to learn so please correct me if I'm wrong. :D

Excellent DD, King. :D

Interesting to know that the Mongols may never appear in a game; each game should now certainly have an aura of anticipation and excitement with regards to the Mongols. :)

Also, anyone notice England tearing up mainland Europe in the screenie? Just so awesome.

The game itself was my Mongol testing game which started at 1187 bookmark.

Conan stole that movie from The Khan and that is a witness about how badass Genghis was, it will be interesting to fight the Mongols and I will probably be curnstomped more than once.

No no no Genghis was just quoting his hero.

Very interesting! Will there be any chance to become tributary to the Mongols or form an alliance with them that the Christians did for a short time against the Muslims?

Last edited:
I've been waiting for this. Personally I found the Mongols to be perhaps the single most broken part of CK1. In my games they always got wiped out within a few years and never held more than some ten provinces. I hope they are a formidable foe in CK2!

I'm not a medieval expert, so don't hold me to this, but the date is 1219...didn't England only acquire large amounts of territory in France in the Hundred Years' War which began in 1337?

Again not a medeival expert, but always interested to learn so please correct me if I'm wrong. :D

The English King had various holdings in France right from the conquest in 1066 up until Mary I lost Calais in 1570ish.

The Hundred Years war was really a continuation of past conflict, only this time Edward III claimed the throne of France. The disputes were over the sovereignty of English posessions in France - the english king held them as a fief from the french king, but wanted to hold them in full sovereignty.

You'll probably be surprised by the extent of the so called Angevin Empire (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angevin_empire), at the beginning of the 13th century - probably around the time that the screenshot is from!

Don't get confused though. The Angevins were buried in France. It's fair to say that a vassal of the French king was also king of England, not the other way round!!! :)

It's great to hear some news about hte Mongols, and good news indeed!

But the best part was to see, even if slightly, the world after ~30 years game. More exactly, to see that Spain is still divided, despite the year.

I would love to see the whole map of this savegame, but I fear it will cause more complaints from the Forum about details than anything else (...as usual?).