• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Lesson VII: Uselessness and Futility

Thank you all for your encouraging comments!

Now, I would like to quote the wise words of just about every EU3 player ever. "Regency? REGENCY? I DO BELIEVE RAGE IS IN ORDER!"

Well, perhaps not exactly like that. The majority of the time I believe the quote is a single word which I cannot reproduce on these forums. As such, I came up with the slightly less humorous version you see above.

Now, as luck would have it (and I do mean bad luck) we just so happened to get a regency just as I quoted that.

EU3_76-1.jpg

If you weren't aware, being in a regency means that your king has died before your heir was 15, and thus a council of your country's greatest nobles has been assembled to rule the nation.

However, said nobles are all incredibly dull hippies, because you can't actually do just about anything with your government. Most importantly, you can't declare war! That's a lot like depriving a dihydrogen monoxide addict of his stash. They both end in irritation and death.

Actually, just irritation. Hopefully. But let's talk about how to get around this restriction. You can warn the country you want to fight, guarantee all their likely targets, or ally someone who's in a war with them. There's even an achievement for breaking this system! Good job on that, Paradox.

Regencies can be kind of annoying for smaller nations because it deprives you of your best and (likely) only general: your ruler. Small, peaceful nations like our Holland don't rack up army tradition and don't have the money to hire generals all the time. (Well, our nation has the money, but it's all in the grubby hands of the plutocrats)

Speaking of plutocrats, look at this fantastic offer!

EU3_77-1.jpg

The Hansa has requested us for salt trade rights. Although I don't think the League is worth their salt (haha.) it would give us a nice 66% increase in production efficiency. Whenever you get a window like this, it's a matter of math. A drop in trade income means a drop in production (production value is directly related to trade income), but an increase in efficiency would make up for that in this case. So I agree here.

Now, production efficiency (PE) is how much of your total production value you get out of a province. The "Price" thing in each province is your total production value, as that's how much your merchants are selling the stuff for. Efficiency is basically how much you can squeeze out of said merchants for the government. I'm not entirely sure what it's supposed to represent when your PE goes over 100. I imagine all merchants are leprechauns that grow gold on their arms when you hit them and request (very nicely, I might add) their taxes.

A small exception to this is gold, which acts as if it has 100% efficiency all the time. However, it goes in its own category (gold income) so I guess it isn't an exception after all! Genius!

To follow is a detailed lesson on sliders.

production value is directly related to trade income

I thought production was totally independent of trade? How exactly is production figured out?

Trade price (Also known as local trade income) is then modified by production efficiency to become the production value you see.

Good to know! I really need to play a small country for a long period and just focus entirely on trade; I've always just built production buildings.

I still have fond memories of the regency that allowed me to start westernising in my Japan game, so they're not all bad.

The major problem I have with guarantees is that they can expire without warning.

I still have fond memories of the regency that allowed me to start westernising in my Japan game, so they're not all bad.

The major problem I have with guarantees is that they can expire without warning.

That's true - Regency councils can have good stats. And unfortunately, guarantees are just about all there is, besides warnings (which are even more volatile).

another superb little lesson .. with my current Ming game I'm having to exploit all sorts of ways to get into wars as even having a valid CB is rarely enough, so thats a useful update (from a purely selfish point of view)

Yeah, Ming feels like a permanent regency council to me..

Good to know! I really need to play a small country for a long period and just focus entirely on trade; I've always just built production buildings.

Trade buildings are actually kinda useless in small nations, I've noticed. From my observations, they only beat out production buildings when constructed en masse.

Love the dihydrogen monoxide bit.

Ah, glad someone caught it. :p

Lesson VIII: Doing the Policy Dance

As promised, we will finally be getting to a detailed breakdown of different sliders. Sliders represent internal policy changes that are enacted by your leadership, and they have what are essentially short-term effects and long-term effects. Short-term effects are little events that pop up and do something to your nation relevant to the policy change. (For example, centralizing can make you lose stability)

Long-term effects are what we will be comparing. They're a lot like modifiers. Well, actually, they're just like modifiers, except they don't have specific conditions (besides slider position).

So to kick things off, Innovation will be fighting it's long-time rival, Narrowminded!

EU3_78-1.jpg

Innovation has a lot of detriments, as you can see from the copious amount of red text. However, the whole reason for innovating is that awesome lower technology cost. Still, pretty much anything religious suffers as you can see from the window.

Not shown is that the majority of religious decisions require you to be narrowminded. If you go full innovative, pretty much the only thing you can do is convert between the three Western christian faiths (Reformed, Catholic, and Protestant).

EU3_79-1.jpg

Narrowminded is actually a really good slider. Faster stability increase, more missionaries, papal influence, it has it all. Only thing is that it slows down tech way more than you can ever imagine. If you plan on conquering a lot of non-state-religion provinces, then Narrowminded is definitely the way to go. Full innovative will force you to pull some shenanigans to get any missionaries at all.

Aristocracy vs. Plutocracy

EU3_80-1.jpg

Aristocracy is one of the few sliders that has all bonuses. Seriously, it has no negative effects (besides depriving you of Plutocracy's bonuses). You get a much stronger, cheaper military. In addition, it gives you a ton more diplomats, which can be useful if you engage in a lot of diplomacy (Hey! Diplomats make doing lots of diplomacy easier. Wow!)

EU3_81-1.jpg

Unlike it's rival, Plutocracy has one detrimental effect; it makes cavalry cost more. That's generally because everyone is way way too rich to worry about the military. Higher trade efficiency, merchant chance, and more merchants. Awesome for setting up a trading empire.

Oh, and SPIES SPIES SPIES YES SPIES. Not having any spies is a condition a lot of nations suffer from, and Plutocracy rectifies that. Now, theoretically, Mercantilism goes with Aristocracy, and Free Trade goes with Plutocracy. This set-up gives them both spies.

Spies are super important, as we'll get into later. They're one of the best ways to weaken your opponent, or, get this:

YOU CAN GAIN INFORMATION. Yes, spies actually get you information. Another shocking fact.

Free Subjects vs. Serfdom

This is where we start getting more one-sided. Both of the sets we just covered are both useful in different cases, but there's very few cases where Serfdom is better than a degree of Free Subjects (not necessarily full Free Subjects, remember this)

EU3_82-1.jpg

Free Subjects helps your tech even more than Innovation. Look at that, it's just ridiculous. Also, it raises the morale of your army, but the effect is negligible so don't worry about it. But it also makes recovering stability difficult, and that's actually really bad, especially when you get large. For a small nation, though, it basically raises our stability cost by like 20 ducats. (Holland's current cost is 46, IIRC) Also, military becomes more expensive to a barely important degree.

EU3_83-1.jpg

Serfdom is the exact opposite of Free Subjects. Everything gets even more expensive than even Narrowminded will do to you, but at the very least stability is cheaper.

If, at a certain point, stability far outweighs technology in importance, that is the only time that Serfdom is better. (Another possible case is during extremely high inflation, when it can make your armies a good deal cheaper, but if I'm teaching you right you shouldn't have that level of inflation)

Offensive vs. Defensive

EU3_84-1.jpg

Another hard choice coming up. Offensive makes your armies better as you can plainly see, and makes forts worse.

Pretty easy to remember, considering armies are generally on the offensive and they get better (Hey! Ain't that surprising) with Offensive, and forts are defensive institutions and they get worse.

EU3_85-1.jpg

Surprisingly, Defensive isn't the opposite of Offensive. Instead it makes you siege better. (I guess you just get so good at defending against sieges you realize how much everyone else sucks at it and your army gets better? I dunno). Other then that, yeah, pretty much the opposite of Offensive.

Offensive early, defensive late. Still, this is a slider that doesn't do much. Best to ignore it and keep it in the middle. (Though that fort defense can be great for super large nations even early on, the greater shock is of more use.)

We shall continue this in the second part of this lesson, which will finish up the rest of the sliders.

(Oh snap, my two-part design came two numbers too early. I wanted the whole X-2 thing going on..)

Last edited:
Nice update always, gela1212. I do have some comments and opinions I'd like to share.

• Going Innovative is indeed not that attractive to most European countries. With a setting near the middle of the slider, you can easily keep up with research and have missionaries and the religious decisions. Going full Narrowminded is also not that attractive, as in general you don't need that many missionaries.

• Aristocracy and plutocracy both are quite nice. Whichever you go, go extreme, as there is little advantage to stay in the middle. However, because most countries start with high Aristocracy settings, in general it's easiest to have maximal Aristocracy.

• You state that Free Subjects helps your trade. I think you meant to say research, as Free Subjects lowers tech costs by 20% but does nothing for trade. For the rest I agree: beginning players I advise going full Free Subjects, as the reduced technology costs outweight the increased stabiliy costs and increased infantry cost. Another benefit of going Free Subjects is that with each slider move, there is 33% chance of losing 2% inflation. Something to keep in mind.

• One thing you didn't mention in your discussion of the Offensive/Defensive slider is that going Offensive makes artillery more expensive and going Defensive makes it cheaper. The difference is quite a bit. If you want to build lots of artillery, it's way better to go Defensive and if you're fully Offensive, it might be better to forget about artillery altogether.

Offensive is better at the start of the game, as artillery is weak and cavalry is strong and Defensive is better later in the game, as the reverse becomes true. Still, it is indeed one of the less important sliders.
Keep up the good work!

Last edited:
Another good update! If you haven't mentioned it already, you might want to talk about the min/max slider limits and what effects they have (i.e., the limit most governments have on Centralization, etc.).

A good update! I agree with knul on his comments, to 100%. :)

This is really cool , please keep it up! :)
Will there be a chapter covering the empire? Because I've intentionally been avoiding the area cause I don't get it :eek:o

This is really cool , please keep it up! :)
Will there be a chapter covering the empire? Because I've intentionally been avoiding the area cause I don't get it :eek:o

This. Playing as Austria and Hungary, I have never once gotten the position as Emperor, even with having max relations with all the members.

Nice work! I'll kind of add a large overarching set of notes... :)

1.) Sliders: Other than centralization, sliders are a way to let your nation specialize and tailor to your playing style. Offensive/Defensive is a really good example of this - Offensive helps you get better generals and cover for making mistakes in war, but Defensive lets you slow down enemy sieges and keep rebels at bay.

2.) Marriages break when the monarch that proposed it dies.

3.) Morale is especially important because if your entire army has 0 morale within the first 12 days of combat, it surrenders.

4.) As evidenced by your screenshot when Holland DoW'd Hainaut, when taking a stability hit for starting a war, you instantly gain the same amount in War Exhaustion. Thus, be careful taking stability hits to start a war. In fact, a chapter on the evils of war exhaustion would be useful.

5.) Only large CoTs are worth monopolies, because you get a negative compete chance modifier in all CoT's based on the number of merchants you have out. Merchants in small CoTs are wasted if you can compete in large ones.

6.) Military Drill as an NI is a good example of understanding how NI's scale. In 1400, National Drill is huge (about 50% increase). In 1700, it's only about a 15-20% increase in morale, because your morale increases with tech. Also, one reason that NTP beats SCP because you get +.5 compete per +1 trade efficiency - a double benefit.

Nice work! I'll kind of add a large overarching set of notes... :)

1.) ..

2.) Marriages break when the monarch that proposed it dies.

3.) ..
4.) ..
5.) Only large CoTs are worth monopolies, because you get a negative compete chance modifier in all CoT's based on the number of merchants you have out. Merchants in small CoTs are wasted if you can compete in large ones.

6.) Military Drill as an NI is a good example of understanding how NI's scale. In 1400, National Drill is huge (about 50% increase). In 1700, it's only about a 15-20% increase in morale, because your morale increases with tech. Also, one reason that NTP beats SCP because you get +.5 compete per +1 trade efficiency - a double benefit.

2 : which is kinda funny, since of course your monarch isn't married to all those princesses! -at least not at the same time :D . No, a Royal Marriage is just somebody from the royal family marrying somebody from their royal family..

5 : Oh? - I really need that Compete Modifiers Chart! I just captured a COT in Suz (or something..The Gold province in Morroco).. after I got my BB down to 1, I had compete of 80-97 'ish.. Then I got a Vassal (peaceful-like), Nicely asked Holstein to Join, left the empire (Slesvig and Holstein)..And suddenly my compete is 50'ish! and lower..

6: Network Time Protocol??? what has that to do with anything? :D (what was those two NI's you abbreviated?)

2 : which is kinda funny, since of course your monarch isn't married to all those princesses! -at least not at the same time :D . No, a Royal Marriage is just somebody from the royal family marrying somebody from their royal family..

5 : Oh? - I really need that Compete Modifiers Chart! I just captured a COT in Suz (or something..The Gold province in Morroco).. after I got my BB down to 1, I had compete of 80-97 'ish.. Then I got a Vassal (peaceful-like), Nicely asked Holstein to Join, left the empire (Slesvig and Holstein)..And suddenly my compete is 50'ish! and lower..

6: Network Time Protocol??? what has that to do with anything? :D (what was those two NI's you abbreviated?)

I'll take a guess on #6: National Trade Policy and Shrewd Commerce Practice.