• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

gremlok

Captain
80 Badges
Aug 2, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • March of the Eagles
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
title-1.png

I have recently finished the best and most interesting game playing as Greece. Wanting afterwards to create an AAR, but without actual screenshots, I decided to try to make a video-slideshow story-telling hybrid. I hope it make sense and you find it as entertaining to watch as it actually was to make.

Click on the image below and you'll get directed to YouTube for the video (remember to switch to 720 HD and full screen for the best experience).

Last edited:
That was very well made, and well done! I was a bit worried near the end, but the French did you a favor by taking the Libyan Coast, leaving the Ottoman Empire as a one-province minor. I can't remember seeing the Ottoman Empire in the top 4 of the GPs before. It was quite a task taking them down from that level...

The latest 1.4 patch makes it so the Ottomans move their capital to Ankara if they lose the provinces bordering Thrace in Europe. That should make Byzantine games a bit easier from now on, since the two empires will now be able to co-exist. On the other hand, that means that this may well be the last AAR to feature the complete demolition of the Ottoman Empire before the formation of the Byzantine one.

Edit: Oh, one thing I forgot: how come you didn't become a HM's Government by decision at around 1840, reforming instead to a Prussian Constitutionalism in 1845?

Welcome to the forums, angryslashonly! :)

Last edited:
That was very well made, and well done! I was a bit worried near the end, but the French did you a favor by taking the Libyan Coast, leaving the Ottoman Empire as a one-province minor. I can't remember seeing the Ottoman Empire in the top 4 of the GPs before. It was quite a task taking them down from that level...

The latest 1.4 patch makes it so the Ottomans move their capital to Ankara if they lose the provinces bordering Thrace in Europe. That should make Byzantine games a bit easier from now on, since the two empires will now be able to co-exist. On the other hand, that means that this may well be the last AAR to feature the complete demolition of the Ottoman Empire before the formation of the Byzantine one.

Edit: Oh, one thing I forgot: how come you didn't become a HM's Government by decision at around 1840, reforming instead to a Prussian Constitutionalism in 1845?

Welcome to the forums, angryslashonly! :)

Thanks! Unlike other games Russia didn't do much damage to the Ottomans so it was a race against time in the end. Egypt also fared quite well, only lost a bit to me, the usual areas to the Ottomans and only Aleppo and Palestine to Spain. What surprised me was Egypt going to retake the Ankara region, but it came as a blessing as I was constantly hitting the 25 infamy point ceiling (I do not want to go beyond, my house rule). France did attack the Ottomans around 1905-1910 but their heart wasn't in it and to my disappointment it ended with a wp.

I will upgrade to 1.4 once I finish up my Serbian game - I believe I can't do it in the middle of the game, right?

No idea why I couldn't go HMS. I didn't get a choice, it was simply forced upon me.

Last edited:
I think you can do it mid-game - the changes are not as drastic as in 1.2, which redid the tech tree, for instance. But it's not exactly optimal. I haven't checked if Greece's HM'sG decision was altered, but it used to require some small amount of consciousness or militancy and would kick off in 1840 (as opposed to the historical 1843).

I wasn't a huge fan of most of the sound effects and the almost total lack of information on the rest of the world or your economy made it a bit dry, though I suppose that's a fault of the format where you can't really afford to go into much detail.

Awesome. If you could also include more screenshots, battles, and technology advances - perhaps along the lines of fading in at sides while you do text or year exposition - that would be even better, but this is still one of the better AARs in awhile.

That was a great video aar!:)

I wasn't a huge fan of most of the sound effects and the almost total lack of information on the rest of the world or your economy made it a bit dry, though I suppose that's a fault of the format where you can't really afford to go into much detail.

Thanks for the comments. I never thought about making a "proper" AAR only once the game was over. All I had to work with was 30-some saved games, from where I got the world maps. This did not allow me to go into detail regarding battles, events etc. as I had not record of when/what. Essentially the video shows the storyline of the conquests as you point out.

Originally I only wanted to have the music in the background, but decided last minute to add the sound effects, which I honestly regret afterwards.

Sadly you can't play 1.3 game with newest patch - tried it already.

OK, will wait with updating then.

Nicely done. :)

thank you

Very nice. Thank you. I`d like to see more of these.

happy you enjoyed it. although it was fun to do, I clearly underestimated the time required

Awesome. If you could also include more screenshots, battles, and technology advances - perhaps along the lines of fading in at sides while you do text or year exposition - that would be even better, but this is still one of the better AARs in awhile.

Noted. Thanks.

That was awesome. Best 14 minutes spent in a while on this forum

thanks for the kind words

That was a great video aar!:)

much obliged!

Last edited:
Great, AAR. I find surprising the lack of Greek/Byzantine AAR's in the forums, I would have think it would be a popular challenge.

I've been thinking the same thing. I've already played a game as Greece back in 1.1, when there was no Byzantium, but have been thinking of revisiting it in the future, as well as trying out Serbia -> Yugoslavia, Iraq -> Babylon, Panjab -> India, or Krakow -> Poland. Those are also interesting challenges which I do not believe have had AAR treatments.

I'd love to see a Panjab -> India game, never saw India united.

Already planned my next game once I finish the Serbian game. Also a unification game but I'll probably be using the NNM mod, however not sure if this is stable in 1.4 or not. I somehow find it most appealing to play the 'underdog' trying to create something (or simply survive) rather than blobbing (played France in EU3 and lost interest 'only' 150 years later as I become too powerful).