Ad Astra! ... an Aurora Forum Game, run by blue emu

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Have we already rushed to help our loyal allies in their war against the evil Kiri?

Have we already rushed to help our loyal allies in their war against the evil Kiri?

We haven't found them yet... :(

We've had spotters in the Chix system, in case they get seriously threatened, though. The only combat we've seen was in one of our own systems, The Nexus (Struve 2398).

update.jpg

:)

start_anew-LRG.jpg

The game is possibly not quite dead. It has, however, become rather boring... since the Invaders and the Swarm (both are turned on) refuse to put in an appearance.

I'll finish my Dwarf Fortress AAR, and then we can decide whether to continue this or start a new game with the latest version (5.52) with all of the nasties turned on right from the start.

So would you people prefer that I (eventually) continue this game, or start a new one with all the outer-space nasties enabled?

I think this one is just about done, and the patch has probably stabilised at 5.52. I wouldn't complain about a new game.

It would be interesting to see you try your hand at using beam weapon tactics, although with all threats on that may be a bit much.

Am easy either way - Would like to see this through, but if you think it is getting boring, I can certainly understand why you want to try something new. Am working on a 5.52 campain myself at the moment and love all those new possibilities... :)

/rend

Perhaps someone else wants to run a game?

From my experience of the Galactic Invaders, the odds of you actually surviving with them on from the start are quite low. My memory may be exaggerated, but I think I recall 6 >40,000t ships with ECM through the nose doing >15000KM/S.

From my experience of the Galactic Invaders, the odds of you actually surviving with them on from the start are quite low. My memory may be exaggerated, but I think I recall 6 >40,000t ships with ECM through the nose doing >15000KM/S.

I certainly wouldn't expect to survive an early encounter with the Invaders, no... we should have been crushed by that Precursor fleet we ran into, and the Invaders are several times nastier.

I certainly wouldn't expect to survive an early encounter with the Invaders, no... we should have been crushed by that Precursor fleet we ran into, and the Invaders are several times nastier.

Yeah, perhaps what makes them worse than qualitatively worse than Precursors is that they move between systems (at least, that is my belief: I've only ever been curbstomped and then elected to leave them off until I had an empire worthy of facing them). It's a pity that a bug has prevented them from appearing now that you've switched them on (pretty sure I had no issues turning the swarm and precursors on and off in games), they'd have been real competition I think.

Yeah, perhaps what makes them worse than qualitatively worse than Precursors is that they move between systems (at least, that is my belief: I've only ever been curbstomped and then elected to leave them off until I had an empire worthy of facing them). It's a pity that a bug has prevented them from appearing now that you've switched them on (pretty sure I had no issues turning the swarm and precursors on and off in games), they'd have been real competition I think.

Not certain in this version, but in 5.52 precursors can change systems as well, if the right circumstances are in place. I triggered some precursors in a system next to my allies, but escaped with my scout - There was a jump gate and the precursors took a shot at my allies system. Luckily, I had my navy next door, so I got some nice wrecks. I had missile ships and they only packed beam ships, so no real competition.

Not certain in this version, but in 5.52 precursors can change systems as well, if the right circumstances are in place. I triggered some precursors in a system next to my allies, but escaped with my scout - There was a jump gate and the precursors took a shot at my allies system. Luckily, I had my navy next door, so I got some nice wrecks. I had missile ships and they only packed beam ships, so no real competition.

Hmm. I'm still running the previous version with my empire, I didn't want to restart, although I must admit the "errorinorbitcalculation: division by zero" every 5 day increment gets annoying as does "ErrorInGetSystemThemeName".

I think precursors always followed you through gates if they saw you do it, but they never did it on their own with no one to follow.

Perhaps instead of intergalactic invasions, there should be a house rule for beams only? That would level the playing fields.

In the previous version (used in my AAR), Precursors WOULD jump from system to system if they saw you use a jump point. They have no ability to SEARCH for unknown jump points, but can use known ones.

Perhaps instead of intergalactic invasions, there should be a house rule for beams only? That would level the playing fields.

:rofl: Good idea... I look forward to reading your AAR.

In the previous version (used in my AAR), Precursors WOULD jump from system to system if they saw you use a jump point. They have no ability to SEARCH for unknown jump points, but can use known ones.

Hmm... I'm not sure if I've ever seen that happen, despite jumping right in front of them, but then again there was a period of time before I realized "Mezeg Aliens #1324" were actually Precursors, and I thought they were moving into systems I had previously cleared.

:rofl: Good idea... I look forward to reading your AAR.

I'd love to, except I've not actually got anywhere in the game having never installed something to let me get at the bottom most buttons. For example, in the task groups screen :)

I think it could be done, if you can survive long enough for a good gauss PD setup. It'd take some good design and tactics to actually hit them back though.