• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Matters of Honour

August 19th, 1625
Tibetan highlands
Midday

Achilles watched impassively as the endless column of prisoners trudged past on their way to the Siberian mines. Some still wore scraps of orange; the Buddhist monks were the core of the resistance. Otherwise the Tibetans all looked much alike: Flat brownish-yellow faces, brown eyes lined with creases from squinting against the eternal dusty wind of the highlands, hair shaved in token of taking the Path of War against the Roman invaders. Except for the shaven heads they looked much like his own troops, very unlike the aquiline features and gray eyes of the Komnenoi cohorts; but after ten years in Tibet Achilles had lost his desire to command Roman troops. The elite kataphrakt cohorts, recruited from their own sons, were the capital assets of the Komnenoi, committed to battle only when great issues were at stake. And since every ambitious young Roman hungered for a kataphrakt command, promotion was glacial and fiercely contested. In the auxilia legions that did most of the actual fighting, even a man recovering from a youthful mis-step could advance.

There was no particular military purpose to Achilles' inspection of the column; but Achilles felt he owed it to his enemies. They had fought bravely, and not many would return from distant Siberia. Nine in ten would be leaving their bones in the deep pits of the iron mines. Achilles did not object to the policy; raids by these brave men and their fathers had been a scourge of the fertile lowlands for decades, and the threat of Tibetan armies on the southern flank had hamstrung Rome in its quarrels with Russia. But he felt it cowardice to send men to their deaths in the mines without looking them in the face at least once; and so whenever he had no pressing business, he came out to watch the columns passing by.

It was, nonetheless, a depressing sight; and so he was relieved when his aide rode up and saluted. No doubt there was some new disaster in Qamdo, and he would be required to comb out his half-strength centuries yet again to reinforce them; but no matter, that was better than watching men whose lives were at an end through his skill.

"Legate, there is another Senator to see you."

"Very well; I come." Still another who wanted to shine in reflected glory. Well, in the end they were all Komnenoi, and not everyone could be an officer in time of war; the course of honour moved older men into civilian ranks for good reasons. He returned to his tent without too much resentment. The Senator - tall and lean in the manner admired by Komnenoi for older men, but moving with the stiffness of injury or illness - rose to greet him, and Achilles flinched in shock. It had been fifteen years since he saw his father, and then their quarrel had ended with Achilles being thrown into the streets. Even when his mother had won a measure of forgiveness and enough influence had been exerted on his behalf to win him a century in the auxilia, his father had not deigned to speak to him face to face.

An inchoate anger rose up in him, and a confused longing to reconcile; he sought refuge from emotion in sere formality, raising his right hand in salute. "Ave, Senator".

"Ave, Legate," his father replied dryly.

They stood silent for a moment, while Achilles sought for a polite way of asking what do you want; then his father took pity on him. "You've done well, son; to rise from centurion to Legate without exerting influence is not easy." In spite of himself Achilles felt his shoulders straighten; estranged or not, those spare words of praise meant more than he would have thought possible. "So now it is time for you to come home."

So that's it, Achilles thought; it was almost a relief, to know that his father hadn't made the long journey to Tibet just out of a desire to reconcile with his son.

"And which brood mare did you decide to harness for the breeding project?" he asked pleasantly.

"Aglaia Ioannou."

Achilles felt his lips twist in unwilling appreciation. Aglaia wasn't the wealthiest heiress in the city, or even the most beautiful; but she was the one he'd dreamed of, before he left to take up his Great Circuit and all the disasters that had followed. His father was clearly trying his best to make the return pleasant. Still, it had been nearly two decades, and the inchoate dreams of that young boy didn't have to inform the actions of the man he'd become. Best to make his position clear from the start.

"Thank you. But no; I will not return home. There is much to be done here; a wild land to be tamed, a wild people to bring to the obedience of Rome. I won't return to New Byzantium to debate the forms of dishonour in quiet rooms. As for Aglaia, send her here; let her marry as a soldier's wife does, under the swords of the Legions."

His father sighed. "So it comes down to that old grievance again, that we abandoned the tribes to the Russians."

"Yes; it does! Do you think honour is like grain, a new crop to be grown every year?"

"Not for men, no." His father looked down; and for the first time in two decades it seemed to Achilles that he was actually ashamed of the Senate's bargain. "Not for men. But for nations? I hope there may be. May not our sons be better men than ourselves? The Senate that signed the Czar's treaty is all but gone, you know; but we are not old men. My father took his place in the Forum every day until he was seventy; I am fifty-eight, and here I am to ask you - beg you - to come home and take my place. I'm not the only one. The men you loathe are leaving while still in their prime. `Retired to his estate', `taking vows and becoming a monk', `ill health' - but I've seen it in their eyes; it is because their sons despise them. As mine despises me. So... what's past cannot be undone. But nations are not like men; nations can have a fresh hand at the tiller, a restored honour. Will you not come back, and take your seat in the Senate, and debate matters of honour in the sunlit Forum?"

Achilles's father was a Komnenos, and proud; he had spoken with quiet dignity, without drama. But Achilles felt the enormous effort it had cost him, to stand before his son and ask rather than command. It was, perhaps, the one thing that could have caused him even to consider leaving his Legion. And yet - his father had always been a consummate politician; his speeches had swayed hostile Forums, enemy diplomats, and rival Senators alike. Was it not possible that this was one final act, that even quiet despair and shame could be used for cynical manipulation? A man leaving public life in dishonour might still wish to arrange his succession to his own taste. He might even feel perfectly genuine contrition, and shape it into a weapon to wield against his own son, to make the ungrateful bastard do what he's told one last time.

And yet, if that were so, what of it? He was still leaving; someone would have to take over. The work of a Legate, after all, could be done by many men; and had not Achilles come to Tibet to serve his country, and not his own ambition? Let the old man have his victory, then, if indeed this was a ploy; it was an empty one. He took off his helmet, with the bright red plume of a Legate that he had been proud to wear these scanty six months.

"Not for any begging of yours, Father; not even for your contrition and apology. But for restoring the honour of Rome. Yes. I'll come home."

Last edited:
GMT is 15:00 so CET is 16:00

Road to War

Mua'dib walked trough the streets of Alexandria. The streets told many tales as they had seen so many different events, people and religions passing trough the city. The streets had seen dynasties rise to power and then fall to make way for new dynasties and conquerors. You could see influence of these cultures that had once ruled the city everywhere on every corner most of older buildings shared similarities with the Greeks even though the Muslims had been in power for decades. Alexandria had served as the capital of Egypt for generations from times of the Greeks to this date. Once again Egypt was changing, the government and the Doge had decided that it was time to abandon the Trade League and concentrate on domestic administration. For Mua'dib this change didn't make much difference even though now even more and more merchants were allowed to trade in Alexandria and in Askeristan. But Mua'dib was now the sole ruler of his crime family, he was the head of the organization that worked in Egypt, India and in Caribbean. Of course there were regional rulers for each of the regions but all news, actions had to go trough him. His son were growing up to be his successors and his daughters were trained in the arts of assassinations. There were two sections in this organization, thievery and assassinations. Both were well known for their skill and discreet behaviour.

Even though Mua'dib had sworn an oath that none of his assassins and thieves would hurt Egypt he still worked for foreign nations too, of course when the target was not Egypt. Even the enemies of Egypt used his services mostly for political assassinations of their enemies or rebel leaders in their nations. They even paid handsomely for these services as it was easier for them to pay a lot for a good service than try themselves and risk failure and in many cases a war. Many of these nations didn't like to be attacked and go on a defensive due to their own stupid actions but they rather acted as backstabbers and deal breaker when they wanted war, of course this way they could have the advantage. And that had happened in the world. The Mongols with their minions had attacked Novgorodian Empire and the Roman Empire plunging the world in to an war. At first it seemed that the Anti-Slavic Racists Alliance was going to win the war quickly but some how the the two great Empires managed to turn the tide and soon they marched to Bavaria defeating their armies and occupying their lands. In the east the advance of the Persians and the Mongols was halted. What would really happen depended now on the strategy of the Two Empires, would they push all the way to Catalonya and to Persia to help the Punjabis or would they make peace. Or could the ASRA turn the tide for their favour and win. What would the Africans do? They were not in the war at the moment but it would be only matter of time before the war would reach Alexandria and Africa. Mua'dib didn't wish for a war as he had seen enough of it during his life time.

Not going to lie, this live streaming should be fun.

So. The war ended in a patched-up compromise; only unbending Malaya still maintains its blockade of the Slavic nations. "Very well then, alone!"

alone.jpg

It is perhaps an uneasy peace, more reminiscent of 1801 or 1918 than of 1815 and 1945. It remains to be seen how the alliances will shift.

Slavic Alliance is losing to the Mightly Empire Of Lulz

AAR

EDIT: If you don't want to bother reading this, just click the youtube link. Says it much better than I ever can.

OOC: This session was bad.

Nearly everyone surrendered, with some barely having made an effort to fight, and now I suspect we will discover a series of betrayals and a trail of broken promises will be revealed over this next week/session.

I stand before you today with a broken heart. The bright future we once all held up as inevitable is now being chalked up a pipe dream. We, both as a independent nation, and as citizens of this world find it amazing how low we as a species have fallen. How the other nations and their leaders can in good conscience, work with the Slavs.

The USA/Mayans have been a relatively neutral state nearly for its 250 years of existence and yet we have had no success in dealing with the Slavic bloc, with leaders from both sides unable to come to any sort of reasonable deals, refusing to treat us as equals, no matter what reasonable offers we have made to try and end the endless wars of Europe.

And yet now, at this very moment in embassies across the world, diplomats and leaders are plotting the end of the free world, for mere-trinkets and half promises.
There are personal hatreds and racism reaching to the very highest points of power in many nations, and with perpetual alliances of hate.
There is widespread corruption, incompetent generals and others who simply content to do nothing, seemingly hoping that if they close their eyes and shut their ears really hard that they can simply wish away the gnashing of teeth and armies of doom at their very doorsteps.

History has brought us to the edge of chaos, and we now have a choice.
Either we can jump into the abyss, or, with courage and faith leap to the other side.
The Abyss is the Slavs and their perpetual march to world conquest, an alliance of intolerance and hatred, of false imagery and false hope.
An endless pit of nonsense and outright lies.
They are agitators, who believe our fears will drown out our reason, and give into the dark side.
And the worst we can do,
the absolute worst,
is to do nothing.*

Right this very moment we are drafting a resolution to declare that, as faithful allies of the Empire of Lulz, that if the vote passes, we will declare that a state of war exists between the Slavic nations and the Mayan peoples and her United Sates of America. We would stay at war for as long as our allies stay at war.

OOC: I am seriously sick of style of diplomacy, the pompous attitudes and the general bullshit some of you use and try to pull and I wonder if this game is even worth my time and effort anymore.

All you peanuts enjoy this while it lasts, this game will be over in a matter of weeks at this point.

And who knows, maybe this link below will make some of you reconsider just what you are doing.
It pretty much sums up both my personal view and the view of our great nation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLci5DoZqHU&feature=channel_video_title

*Hitler: Rise of Evil (that paragraph only)

Last edited:
I've deleted a few posts as spam, one as discussing your game arrangements ... just as a reminder if you want to discuss the game and issues about playstyle/house rules do it in the appropriate MP thread .... also keep the discussion in this thread polite

In this session:
As you know peace was signed with Slavs.
Bengal is no longer under protection from Croatia due to Qin's peace deal.
Malaya is launching a grand invasion of Khmer, because I refused the peace I previously accepted. Malaya wiped my whole 90k army but Slavic and Punjabi armies were on hand to fight against Malaya.
Thats all I saw.

Bengal is no longer under protection from Croatia due to Qin's peace deal.

Except it is, because I refused the peace deal.

Malaya is launching a grand invasion of Khmer, because I refused the peace I previously accepted. Malaya wiped my whole 90k army but Slavic and Punjabi armies were on hand to fight against Malaya.

And his "grand invasion" failed miserably.

Except it is, because I refused the peace deal.

And his "grand invasion" failed miserably.

Malaya lost no troops And see no reason to actuly fight in Khmer when the Slav Alliance are hurt enough with full WE and blockaded.

Demands on the Slavs:
Punjab the 5 provinces back to Persia
Novgorod: 10 provinces of bavarias Chosing back to Bavaria
Croatia: 10 Provinces of Bavarias chosing back to Bavaria
Khmer: Release of Vassalisation plus 8 provinces on the arm near Malaya
20k Gold to Malaya for War Reperations and for grievances due to The Breaking of Deals and such things by the Slav Alliance

Also, aren't the blockades if they last that long in "THE ETERNAL WAR FOR LULZ" going to be hideously bad in Vic2?

Status
Not open for further replies.