• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Poor Gabi, ever stumped by technological progress. I'm loving the continuing tit for tat bickering between Harry and Astarte and now that the Big Yin is making an appearance, that should become even more interesting. Promising to see how well you have done in every war thus far, although a pity you got nothing from the war against Costa Rica, except for the chance to annoy Astarte a bit more, which may not be the best of options! Good to see the Rurikovich making a return as well. Wonderful too that Thumper is keeping the tradition of a depleted officer corps going as well!

It seems clear that the main thing Harry needs at present is a new crocodile. It, coupled with his coffee, really will make him a master of diplomacy.

Was missing out on some screenshots recently. Now that my eyes were fully open (so to say), things make a lot more sense. :) I like that 'Curse of the Pharaohs' event - your whole population goes nuts because of a little ill-informed rumor? That's a nice whack around the head.

Have to agree with morningSIDEr, the tit for tat between Harry and Astarte is highly entertaining. And Astarte is staying true to her medieval character. To wit, the massive rebellion in Brazil. Causing the deaths of untold thousands merely to spite Harry, it's like a return to all the smallpox/pneumonic plague/dysentry events from CK...

Lets not forget the email addresses. They are some of my favorite bits.

Poor Gabi, ever stumped by technological progress. I'm loving the continuing tit for tat bickering between Harry and Astarte and now that the Big Yin is making an appearance, that should become even more interesting. Promising to see how well you have done in every war thus far, although a pity you got nothing from the war against Costa Rica, except for the chance to annoy Astarte a bit more, which may not be the best of options! Good to see the Rurikovich making a return as well. Wonderful too that Thumper is keeping the tradition of a depleted officer corps going as well!

It seems clear that the main thing Harry needs at present is a new crocodile. It, coupled with his coffee, really will make him a master of diplomacy.

I really thought I'd get something out of the war with the USCA but when the UK decided to become the war leader it was going nowhere slowly, I could take a lot of their provinces in Latin America and the Carribean, but the warscore was never going over 2/3.

Since then, I've been massively building up the fleet, both the combat bit (I have the tech for cruisers but struggling with oil/fuel) and lots and lots of transports ... next time London gets it.

Was missing out on some screenshots recently. Now that my eyes were fully open (so to say), things make a lot more sense. :) I like that 'Curse of the Pharaohs' event - your whole population goes nuts because of a little ill-informed rumor? That's a nice whack around the head.

Have to agree with morningSIDEr, the tit for tat between Harry and Astarte is highly entertaining. And Astarte is staying true to her medieval character. To wit, the massive rebellion in Brazil. Causing the deaths of untold thousands merely to spite Harry, it's like a return to all the smallpox/pneumonic plague/dysentry events from CK...

they seem to keep it to inspiring revolts and civil unrest in each others realm, not had a good disease event for some time.

Lets not forget the email addresses. They are some of my favorite bits.

aye, they are fun to think up ... in fact one reason that updates are slow is it takes me an age to think about how to split the material between emails, the diplomatic wall & other interactions ... which brings us nicely to:

In which new archangels fall out with the BY

Dramatis Personae

Harry - a bar owner with a short fuse and some new friends
Michael - an archangel who decides its better to fall than to shrink any more
Gabi - an archangel so happy to be back in Venezuela
Rafe - an archangel still keeping the 19th Century at bay
Big Yin ... an increasingly vengeful diety, but who may have fallen for
Astarte - a lady with rebellious tendencies

Scene 1: Outside the Government offices

Harry emerges, having just convinced the cabinet that this is a good idea:

after a little pressure:

he calls for his new bodyguard to stop molesting the local fishes:

while he reads the latest diplomatic messages:

Scene 2: The Bar

Harry is reading the emails and musing:

(I suppose so, I do rather miss having hiim around)

(yes, and don't get any ideas in the future either)

(pah, if thats the best she can do ... I'm in the clear)

(but just to keep her busy ... oh and what a lovely fleet I'm building as well)

(well usually I really don't like beggars ... but this could be quite an interesting choice)

(oh they're not are they? ... gross ... no wonder she's losing her touch ... well some of it)

(I do wish that micky had been a bit better prepared but this is mostly fun)

(the Italians still don't have trains? mmhh ... that is an idea)

[so has harry really bitten off more than he can chew? Unlike of course his new crocodile.]

Big Yin seems awfully smitten/smutty. Seems like he'll take over right where Michael left off. :)

Now you have the US in your corner (for whatever good it'll do) and Gabe is back from the sandpits of Egypt. Maybe Gabi will stop complaining for a bit?

Harry continues with his warm interpersonal style: Big Yin, Astarte, the Rurikovichs... Is there anyone he won't tangle with?

PS: Is that a (small) shark in the crocodile's/alligator's mouth?

well to adapt and sanitise an old rather explicit joke ... its not so much the shark is small but the alligator/crocodile is large ... there were after all complaints that Harry's original one was a bit passive so I felt it needed a bit of drama injecting

Interesting stuff. With Michael creating the Alliance with Harry hopefully this will allow for both to deal with the Big Yin. Good that Harry has a new croc/alligator, I get the feeling he'll need such protection. Even better is the news that Venezuela has a large and ever growing fleet, hopefully Harry will be expanding his bar chain into Britain soon.

Big Yin seems awfully smitten/smutty. Seems like he'll take over right where Michael left off. :)

Now you have the US in your corner (for whatever good it'll do) and Gabe is back from the sandpits of Egypt. Maybe Gabi will stop complaining for a bit?

Harry continues with his warm interpersonal style: Big Yin, Astarte, the Rurikovichs... Is there anyone he won't tangle with?

Well he continues to have disputes with most the globe over the next few years ... but quickly works out that Micky's ambitions rather exceed his competences

Interesting stuff. With Michael creating the Alliance with Harry hopefully this will allow for both to deal with the Big Yin. Good that Harry has a new croc/alligator, I get the feeling he'll need such protection. Even better is the news that Venezuela has a large and ever growing fleet, hopefully Harry will be expanding his bar chain into Britain soon.

Well the croc doesn't last long ... as with Beezie it bites off more than it can chew, and Harry's dream of a global franchise rather fail to materialise (& the two events are sort of related)

In which an end of century party occurs

Dramatis Personae

BY - a very persistant diety with a lot of experience in making archangels toe the line
Micky - who'se ambitions rather exceed his capacity
Joan - a busy girl who is keen to meet Fluffy
Rafe - who is being bothered both by Joan and a passing tractor
Gabi - who is sent to find the ice
Harry - who is let down by his allies
Freyja - a diety with a taste for new handbags

Scene 1: Harry is upstairs reading his emails

and smells the very special coffee being roasted for the evening's end of Nineteenth Century Party.

Harry wanders down to prepare for the party and finds he's out of ice. Gabi is reading the culture pages of the Sunday newspapers.

"You got nothing to do ... go and get us some ice then"

Later on, just before the guests arrive a delegation of staff demand to see Harry

"look we want a fair wage, this is not in our contracts"

"or"

"or we don't work tonight"

Scene 2: The Party has started, most of the guests have arrived

Just as the party becomes busy, the waitresses find out that the waiters got a pay rise earlier.

"or"

"or we don't work any more"

In some frustration, Harry wanders up to the Big Yin

"seems as if no one wants to fight for you"

Spotting that Gabi is back with the ice, he tells him the tale of the great naval victory

"and you should have seen their faces when the croc attacked"

Fluffy and Thumper are regaling the guests with their tales from the recent war

as Joan bursts in

"oh Fluffy, I'm so glad I could make it"

later on, the Big Yin comes up to Harry

"your latest crocodile"

"yes"

"it lost"

Freyja wanders past

Harry looks at her new handbag

"was that ... "

"yes ... nice or what"

Very unhappy by now (and drunk) Harry spots Micky and the Big Yin talking

"hi Micky ... you making any more demands?"

"well not really"

"no he's agreed to surrender ... I suggest you do too"

Numerous petty fights break out as everyone becomes more drunk

Rafe turns up late, and flustered

"this place, so much noise, not like Rome, I was almost run down outside"

Scene 3: The morning after, Harry has a hangover

"any aspirin"

"Sire, last night, were you sure you wanted to do this?"

[So will Harry win his new war with the BY? Why does he want Nicaragua when he has so much coffee already?]

I've got to ask, those immigrant attraction bonuses for your social/political reforms, are they part of a mod?

I've got to ask, those immigrant attraction bonuses for your social/political reforms, are they part of a mod?

No, its purely in vanlla. From test games, I decided to do as worked with V1, that you can do well if you maximise both prestige and immigration - in effect the first can get you GP status relatively early on and the latter is the best way to boost the population. I think for Venezuela, Columbia, Chile its probably over-powered as all are democracies at the start so if you choose your reforms purely with an eye to immigration (which I've done), your population expands rapidly.

Ahk cool, I only play Vanilla but I haven't got around to playing a country in the America's yet... Should probably do that at some point. :p

Numerous casus belli arising from drunken squabbles, nations fates being decided by their inebriated leaders, expeditions launched to distant lands, military triumphs discussed, important social reforms enacted, endangered animals lost and a few wars started whilst utterly sloshed... Say what you like about Harry, he definetly knows how to throw one hell of a party!

Not quite the total mayhem we witnessed outside the Pearly Gates at the end of the CK era, but this is starting to get pretty close. Not to mention that back then, it was mostly the mortal (immortal? Postmortal?) Rurikovichs getting frisky, whereas here it's an entire pantheon going to seed. Even if Harry's plans fail (as they inevitably must), it's hard not to see him as the moral victor, considering how all the Archangels and the Big Yin himself have become thoroughly corrupted.

Ahk cool, I only play Vanilla but I haven't got around to playing a country in the America's yet... Should probably do that at some point. :p

I think one of the deligts of V2 is the way it really has made almost any country playable and fun, the democracies in South America are all potentially very powerful when human controlled as you'll get massive immigration in any case and if you then select the right reforms you get loads more ... not always in the right categories and you struggle for focus points but over time it sorts itself out

Numerous casus belli arising from drunken squabbles, nations fates being decided by their inebriated leaders, expeditions launched to distant lands, military triumphs discussed, important social reforms enacted, endangered animals lost and a few wars started whilst utterly sloshed... Say what you like about Harry, he definetly knows how to throw one hell of a party!

a party whose after effects last 5 years in this case ... its so good that its implausible our real leaders would make such wierd decisions when drunk (especially given what they do when apparently stone cold sober)

Not quite the total mayhem we witnessed outside the Pearly Gates at the end of the CK era, but this is starting to get pretty close. Not to mention that back then, it was mostly the mortal (immortal? Postmortal?) Rurikovichs getting frisky, whereas here it's an entire pantheon going to seed. Even if Harry's plans fail (as they inevitably must), it's hard not to see him as the moral victor, considering how all the Archangels and the Big Yin himself have become thoroughly corrupted.

well this is the more genteel Victorian era, but in the next post there is evidence that the Big Yin really is stealing Harry's tricks ....

In which the party continues to affect international relations

Dramatis Personae

Harry - a bar owner who finds its hard to get the right staff
Gabi - who has problems finding some ice
Big Yin - who tries to destroy Harry's statues and nicks some hellish broth
Astarte, Micky, Rafe, Joan - who are all bemused at Harry's prize
Quetzalcoatl - who is really upset when he hears that Harry doesn't think he has a heart

Scene 1: A coffee bar in New York

Our increasingly sleep deprived and worried techie dips in and out of a sequence of emails at random. It appears as if the lack of ice was a major problem in the early 1900s, and that wars were waged with the strangest of goals:

Scene 2: A secret location

Many prominent members of the government are plotting against Harry. They fear his policies will lead to disaster:

or prove to be too expensive:

they are annoyed to have lost another of his wars:

although some dissenting voices acknowledge, good things have happened too:

despite this, the only point of debate is when to strike ... not if.

unseen, fluffy sits in the corner:

Maybe they won a Nobel Prize for finding a cure for Harry's Common Hangover? That would certainly be worth rewarding...

It's good to see that Venezuela remains a cultural powerhouse - even if your military might is somewhat lacking (and lacking gas masks, to be precise).

I liked the email exchange between Gabi and Harry - not being able to find ice at the North Pole must have taken some major skill, even for one as skilled as Gabe. :)

And finally, Russia has been sphered by Astarte? The ignomy... Actually, it kinda fits with earlier history, in which Astarte was often more effective at controlling Russia than Harry. Not too sure that Harry has much reason to gloat, then.

dun dun duuuun! *whispers: watch out for the cat!*