• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Continue voting, you guys can keep voting until I get to the chapter where I have a chance to do so. :p. Regardless, can I get some comments on the new chapter? There haven't been any.

Also, congratulations TAMBOURINESNAKE for being the 100th replier in this AAR! Also congratulations to Tjena Med Lexen (Sorry if I spelled that wrong) for being the 100th post overall. It's nice to know I have a fanbase!

Last edited:
Greece; let me say, I've really enjoyed this! I'm growing fonder of those that choose minors by the day, given my recent experience with Tuscany :) Subscribed!

Chapter 15 - For Athens! For the Republic! For Liberty!

OOC: The time has finally come. Originally, I wanted to get a monarchy for PUs, but, I'm sticking by my rules. For the Republic!
----

It wasn't much later after the altercation with Dimosthenes that the wealthy colonizer began monopolizing his African lands to produce even more wealth than they had before. Using the money he received from the Africans who wanted to move up the social ladder, he began spreading anti-Monarchial sentiment in the city of Athens itself. It wasn't long before some citizens began to approach the powerful councilors like Theodoros asking about the possibility of dissolving the office. The response they got was the same, "Athens is built upon its King and council both. The council cannot run the whole nation,"

But that was when a few clever souls got an idea. What if the position of the king could be decided by the people, like the council members were? This idea spread like wildfire in the less powerful councilors, who quickly became greedily engrossed with the idea of controlling the king via monetary means. Dimosthenes, although he wasn't a good speaker for the most part, was able to persuade his brother to support the cause. Theodoros and Adeipho could not fight the rest of the council on the streets for long, so they took it to the council meeting that night.

The meeting started with regular business, arranging marriages, hearing the reports of Athenian merchants, and dealing with the business of forging alliances and staving off attacks. Most of it was of no import, though the merchants were faring so well that Athens was now making about twenty times as much money in trade as anything else, but there was one major addition. The formation of the Athenian Province System, suggested by Francesca herself, came as a nice uniting piece of legislation. Everyone agreed with it, as it made the government much more efficient. The territory of the Kingdom was divided into the provinces of Greece, North Africa, South Africa, and New Achaea. At first, Dimosthenes went back and forth between telling the council of his hidden colonies or not. Eventually, he decided to, as he could not shepherd in a new era if he lied.

Bringing a quill pen down to the map, he outlined a new province for the hidden territories, calling it "Interior Africa" which included his southernmost colony as well as Braknopolis. He also extended the line of South Africa down a bit to encompass the rest. After explaining that there had recently been some success in the colonial company, he sat back down. The rest of the councilors nodded, some of them were already sweating from the altercation they knew would come.

"Well, let us now turn our attention to what my good friend Dimosthenes has been doing in the streets," Theodoros said, standing. At the mention of his name, Dimosthenes stood up as well. It was now a debate between the two until one sat down, and the other councilors couldn't make a comment. Not the most efficient system, but it helped the main proponents to make their arguments first. "I like your idea, Dimosthenes. About the people controlling the office, that is. But you underestimate how much the people love their Queen," he said. "After all, what was the point of what we did to save her if we plan to exile her as well?"

Dimosthenes growled at the mention of 'Queen'. He still couldn't get over the idea that the council had abolished the laws barring women from holding the office. "She is a hindrance! Let us select a King who will at least benefit the Kingdom!" His argument began to fall flat though, as people realized the reasonableness behind Theodoros' argument. Thus, it was a law that was drafted that night that would change the face of the world forever.

"By the grace of God and our Savior Jesus Christ, the Council of Athens hereby proclaims that the office of the Kingship shall be immediately placed into the hands of the elective tribes of the People of Athens. The Kingship shall be voted on every eight years, and if the current King is not pleasing to the People, then he may be abolished.

For Athens! For the Republic! For Liberty!"

EU3_324.jpg

The next month, Queen Francesca II became the first elected Princess of Athens, Lady of Africa and America. She would be the only female to oversee the Blue Lion for the rest of its existence upon the Earth.

End Act II: Gazing Westward

I vote Athens! You are a Catholic Italian cultured crusader state, to form Greece would be to become something you're not.

Well I'm behind.

Chapter 16 - A Few Farewells

OOC: I like this title. But don't worry, the AAR isn't ending! Also, we have an introduction section again!

---
---- Introducing ----

Adron Konstantinos - Theodoros' son​

It was a dreary morning the day after Francesca had been kept in her office by the people of Athens. In the piercing December cold, it seemed like few people were going anywhere. Winter was a season for the farmers to stay inside and eat, for the artisans to complete their crafts inside, and for the merchants to stand outside in the cold hoping for a stray customer or two.

The Council had no session that night, nor would it for the next few weeks. The reforms made to the election of the King had made the Council look at its own body, seeking revision. In the end, it was decided to shorten the term of councilors from 10 years to 8 years, alternating with the Kingly elections every four years. That was enough elections to keep the people busy and bribed, but not saturated with corruption.

Theodoros was still home. Despite his efforts to make Francesca Queen, their relationship hadn't lasted long once it was rekindled. Perhaps a few months later, they simply drifted apart. Not even a formal breakup. Still, he had felt no need to evict the Russian woman that was still staying in his house after all those years, and he had enjoyed a few nights with her. This time they weren't so.. fake, as the last, that fateful morning when assassins killed Francesco I.

He was an old man now, though. That had been a long time past. A few of their nights together had produced fruit, though, which sometimes he thought might come back to bite him. Indeed, it was well he had kept her hidden, the priests wouldn't have looked upon him well after knowing that he had three children with a woman he wasn't married to!

She was still middle-aged, just ending her years of childbirth. Graciously, a local priest had offered them a marriage, and forgave them both of their sins. His children with her were pretty much legitimate heirs to the Konstantinos dynasty, the only viable ones at this point. Admittedly, he was disappointed with himself. With a son and three daughters, he should be happier, but he hadn't meant to marry a woman who could barely speak Greek anyway.

That was how he would die, an old man, sitting in a chair, surrounded by his family that he had a cool relationship with at best. That was how the first Russian heir - or half-Russian heir - took the headship of the Konstantinos line. Indeed, even more than his father or grandfather, it would be Adron Konstantinos that would shake the very foundations of Athens the most of anyone. Whether Athens would emerge for the better from it like it had the last two times, that had yet to be seen.

Back in the streets, the only people visible on the main road leading to the Royal Palace, which had been improved quite a bit since the independence from Venice so long ago, were three huge men. One glanced down at his list, a hand shaking from the cold air. One name had already been scratched out, 'Theophlyaktos Crispo'. The next name, 'Francesca Acciaioli' was his only focus at this point. He had to make the rounds that he had been paid to make, even in this cold air.

Urging two partners on, he grinned at the guards who were hanging around inside the doors, and they immediately let him through. They knew him and his partners as the couriers for the council and royal family. It was a tough job, you often had to sort your way through old ruins just to get to government buildings. If they were going to do such a thing, you would think they would at least rebuild the ruins.

He stopped off at the royal chambers, sending his letter in, then quickly leaving. That was the only two names for today. December really was slow, he supposed.

It didn't take long for the effects to settle in. Francesca had opened the letter, exposing the deadly spores inside. She wouldn't have noticed though, and would've had enough time to read the letter before it began to take effect. It was in the cipher she had created for her and Dimosthenes to discuss Athens' colonial exploits without being intercepted. That information could be dangerous in the wrong hands.

But the letter only said a total of six words.

"Die, accursed woman.

Lovingly,
Dimosthenes Crispo"

And that was how the second highest ranking candidate in the last election came to rule over Athens as King.

EU3_325.jpg

Though Nero Doria was nothing special, he would be the force that would cement the influential Doria family into power within the Athenian Republic. Over time, they would be the most innovative family the Republic had ever seen, and one of the most conservative as well. Indeed, without them, such a balance as it had would not have occurred.

They were closely related to the Apostolis family. They had produced the great Michael Apostolis, who, over time, would become revered as the Father of the Athenian Nation, a hero to all peoples. Every 3rd December, his death date was celebrated, another year of Athenian independence which was only achieved with his help. As many people thought, if only he had been there to see his name reach the fame that it truly deserved.

Oh, how the world could change...