• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sadly I don't think they can be maimed, but they can certainly pass away at an alarming rate.

Harry now adopting a crocodile as a pet leaves me rather worried. I'm all the more worried that he seems to be having an increasing influence over the Venezuelan government. One thing is certainly true; South America will never be the same again.

for the moment, even if it comes at a cost, his influence is broadly positive, but he insists on annoying a certain person, who seems to have stationed half the British army on the borders

Was that Bolivia and Colombia that were at war with the regional powerhouses of Brazil and Chile (those South American flags are so similar, it's hard to keep them all apart)? Was that what Harry was trying to get the Venezuelans to realize, that Colombia (with its awe-inspiring '1' rating for military) was already royally screwed, that Venezuela would've been perfectly fine in attacking them?

Even with Harry's rich history of mistakes and shooting himself in the foot... Even with all that, berating Astarte and in the same breath suggesting 'Would help if you could send us some soldiers though' - that is just asking for it. He should consider himself very lucky that she only responded with a request for military access. I suspect that, sooner or later, she's going to fulfill Harry's ill-thought request by landing a half-million strong invasion army. :)

So, is Harry feeding people to his alligator, or to his coffee grinders, or both? Oh, and speaking of that: There's your problem: you went subtle on me. :p If the hint isn't hammered home with the force of a wrecking ball, I'm liable to completely miss it.

I've added a few footnotes, it was indeed opaque to the point of being incomprehensible. I've run this about 3 times (trying out options and so on), the main problem is that at the start Columbia is usually too powerful to beat & then later on picks up powerful allies like Mexico or the US. This time I spotted their alliance with Bolivia which is good as Brazil tends to declare war to get its cores back ... at the least my hope was the Columbian army would suffer attrition in that war & early on, for a small power, that is hard to replace.

I need to work out how to introduce this, but Harry has managed to recover a corner of Hell, he's using the heat to roast the coffee (& later to fire his pizza oven) and he's storing a few souls down there (such as Pedro). The alligator he's using for a few generalised assasinations.

The strange dream of General Daza and other tales

Scene 1: The Bar

The newly appointed, very competent and very bored, General Daza is talking to Harry.

"Ah Senor Harold, these politicians, you know, they just do not understand. My army needs guns, it needs training, ... you know they do not even support out industries

... no just a group of ... pah, artists, I mean.

And this, this they are also proud of

Anyway I wish you good day"

Harry wanders off into the salon

"Hi lads, any more drinks? Stimulate the creative juices? ... ah music, oh ok"

Scene 2: The General's bedroom

He has just gone to sleep when a shape enters the room.

Slowly images, clarify in his dream as he turns restlessly.

War is declared on Columbia.

He leads his men to war.

And wins several battles.

War ends with total victory.

He wakes up and rubs his eyes, if it was a dream why is he currently in Panama City?

Scene 3: The Bar

In the wake of military triumph an election has been called.

"Well now we have all these Columbians, our own people[1], I mean do we need these immigrants?"

"Oh hallo, Senor Harold, so nice of you to offer us free drinks"

Gabi approaches Harry

"Can we have a word?"

"About the crocodile?"

"No, about this new bar you've opened in Medelin"

"I'll explain later, I need to keep the new foreign minister happy"

Scene 4: A coffebar in New York, 2011

Our now whitehaired IT-person is drinking coffee [2] and is cross-checking Wikipedia entries with the contents of the emails. Slowly, he understands all the things missing from the conventional history books.

[1] - One reason for the war is the population in the captured provinces is North Andean so helps to gain a second National Focus point at some stage.
[2] – Columbian of course

I really am quite surprised by the transformation which seems to have overcome Harry, he's actually competent now. Reasonably competent anyway. Perhaps he was just needing a change of scene and South America is agreeing with him. Or perhaps the hordes of men Astarte has garrisoned just over the border is the actual reason for his sudden competence. Probably the latter.

He wakes up and rubs his eyes, if it was a dream why is he currently in Panama City?​

This happens to me all the time after going on a coffee bender. Uhm...well...it's usually something stronger than coffee I drink. Although thinking about it, Harry's 'coffee' is likely considerably stronger than any alcohol known to man.

loki100 said:
I need to work out how to introduce this, but Harry has managed to recover a corner of Hell, he's using the heat to roast the coffee (& later to fire his pizza oven)...
Aw, bless his heart, Harry's an environmentalist at heart! He's installed a heat pump in his bar, 150 years before it was fashionable! ;)

That was surprisingly competent for Harry - he had a goal and he actually achieved it. Impressive. Just like all those juicy prestige discoveries you were making. Of course, the long term outlook is a bit shaky (and will remain so, as long as Astarte and her British Hordes of Doom remain foes), but still... Venezuela has gained some very nice bits of Colombia.

I liked the references to Astarte's specialty (spreading unspeakable diseases, like cholera) and Gabi's continued fragile mental state. 'Keep on with the medication', indeed. :)

I really am quite surprised by the transformation which seems to have overcome Harry, he's actually competent now. Reasonably competent anyway. Perhaps he was just needing a change of scene and South America is agreeing with him. Or perhaps the hordes of men Astarte has garrisoned just over the border is the actual reason for his sudden competence. Probably the latter.

This happens to me all the time after going on a coffee bender. Uhm...well...it's usually something stronger than coffee I drink. Although thinking about it, Harry's 'coffee' is likely considerably stronger than any alcohol known to man.

Don't worry, Harry's brief run of luck comes to a juddering halt pretty soon

Aw, bless his heart, Harry's an environmentalist at heart! He's installed a heat pump in his bar, 150 years before it was fashionable! ;)

That was surprisingly competent for Harry - he had a goal and he actually achieved it. Impressive. Just like all those juicy prestige discoveries you were making. Of course, the long term outlook is a bit shaky (and will remain so, as long as Astarte and her British Hordes of Doom remain foes), but still... Venezuela has gained some very nice bits of Colombia.

I liked the references to Astarte's specialty (spreading unspeakable diseases, like cholera) and Gabi's continued fragile mental state. 'Keep on with the medication', indeed. :)

exactly, thermal undersoil (a long way undersoil) heating, ... and you'll be pleased to encounter Astarte's other little speciality in the next post ...

It couldn't last could it

Dramatis Personae:

Harry, our favourite bar owner, who finds Medellin a good place for a new venture
Gabi, his faithful (& increasingly worried) assistant
Rafe, an archangel with health problems, not made easier by the Pope having a bad day
Odin and Frejya, two disgruntled Swedish immigrants with a score to settle with Harry
Michael, another archangel who seems to have some influence in the USA and no control over his libido
Astarte, who has far too much influence over Michael

A new election has commenced, in the background can be heard discussion of matters religious, economic and about national identity.

After a while Senor Joacqim, Minister for Trade, approaches Gabi.

"You know, we so miss Senor Harold's comments on our politics ... when will he return?"

"Oh I'm not sure, I think he rather likes Medellin ... "Sex, corruption, he said he felt at home there"

"Well when he comes back we must all do that thing with the trains again"

Scene 2: Later that evening

Gabi is emailing Raphael

Scene 3: The new cabinet

[3]

"So you don't think anyone will notice"

"No we'll keep it small for now"

Scene 4: The Bar

Harry is talking to Gabi

"Well this should keep us going for a few years ...."

When the bar falls silent as a white haired man and his companion walk in [1].

"Hallo Harry, fancy meeting you here"

"Don't call me that ... I've enough problems already ... anyway what are you pair doing here ... too cold for you was it?"

[2]

"Well that, and we hear this is where all the fun is going to be ... well see you around"

Freyja (for of course it is her and Odin), turns at the door

"Oh and Harry"

"Yes"

"On the ship over, there were some of your other friends, so no doubt they'll start turning up soon enough"

A little later, Gabi is expressing his concerns to Rafe

which leads us to ...

Scene 4: Astarte's bedroom

She rolls over languidly and touches the person next to her

"You know Michael, I would be so grateful if you'd do something about Harry ... you know ... very very grateful ... not least he's trying to get them to believe we don't exist."

"oh, for you, anything"

[1] Naturally he doesn't always go around dressed like this
[2] For some reason all the Swedish immigrants are unhappy ... lack of meatballs, no moose, who knows?
[3] which is handy as political reforms=more immigrants

Somebody didn't check his infamy! :) Best of luck to you; you'll need it!

That looks very scary to put it mildly. I really, really hope Harry has some new coffee beans in stock to deal with this mess. How many men can you actually muster compared to the US?

Michael said:
"oh, for you, anything"
So now thousands will die because one archangel is thinking with his di... family jewels. That hardly sounds like something the Big Yin (or whoever's in charge upstairs these days) would approve of. Come to think of it, consorting with the current head of Hell, Inc. is probably also to be frowned upon. Oh well, I guess the current administration must be of a Laissez Faire bent, considering that Michael is hardly the first angel to go astray (Gabe comes to mind).

I will wish you good luck with the Yanquis and I will urge you to consider all options - such as reopening the bar in a different place. Some Central Asian Khanate, far from Britain and the US, perhaps? But wait, those countries aren't very big on the consumption of alcohol, which would cramp Harry's style. Choices, choices. You could try to simply win your war with the Americans, of course, but that seems like a pretty tall order.

Somebody didn't check his infamy! :) Best of luck to you; you'll need it!

yep, got carried away. My fear was that Columbia would end up in someone's SOI so wanted to reduce it to a single state this time if I could. Grabbing that last state in the Amazon region just put me over the 25 Infamy ...

That looks very scary to put it mildly. I really, really hope Harry has some new coffee beans in stock to deal with this mess. How many men can you actually muster compared to the US?

I've got 6 brigades, they have 40+, but its not just the US that decides I need to be reminded of the niceties of international diplomacy

So now thousands will die because one archangel is thinking with his di... family jewels. That hardly sounds like something the Big Yin (or whoever's in charge upstairs these days) would approve of. Come to think of it, consorting with the current head of Hell, Inc. is probably also to be frowned upon. Oh well, I guess the current administration must be of a Laissez Faire bent, considering that Michael is hardly the first angel to go astray (Gabe comes to mind).

I will wish you good luck with the Yanquis and I will urge you to consider all options - such as reopening the bar in a different place. Some Central Asian Khanate, far from Britain and the US, perhaps? But wait, those countries aren't very big on the consumption of alcohol, which would cramp Harry's style. Choices, choices. You could try to simply win your war with the Americans, of course, but that seems like a pretty tall order.

I think the big one is having some me-time this century and you know what its like when the juniors are left in charge ... especially juniors with more hormones than common sense. Anyway Harry is in Latin America for a reason (which I haven't worked out yet), so we're staying, I mean the US isn't that much bigger is it?

Making amends, apologies and rogue crocodiles

Dramatis Personae:

Harry, bar keeper and international statesperson
Michael, who may just have realised he was being used
Minos, a door keeper with very clear instructions
Quetzalcoatl, a Mexican diety who forgets who his friends are
Shango, a Santaria diety who is quickly bribed
Gabi, an increasingly bemused fallen archangel
Rafe, an archangel with a thing about maps
General Daza, who forgot that crocodiles are attack animals

The Minister of Defence (Rodrigo) and General Daza rush in, to find Harry starting to pack up

"Ah Harry, look we"

General Daza looks as if he is about to complain

"... I, I need a favour, well two favours ... we know you have ... how can I say this ... connections ... could you make the Americans and the Mexicans go away"

General Daza interjects

"no, no, the honour of our army and our people call on us to resist these invaders to the last drop of our blood"

Harry looks up

"ok, that can be arranged"

Scene 2: The cemetery in Caracas

Two gravediggers are digging a rather small grave

"You know, you'd have thought someone that important ... well you know, a bit bigger?"

"From what I've heard, this is all the crocodile left"

"Ah"

A little later, various mourners look on as General Daza (or the little bit of him left) is buried.

Even before the ceremony is over, the Foreign Minister arrives late and flustered.

"Harry, I'm afraid we weren't quick enough"

[1]

"We need your help again"

Scene 3: Gabi's room

He is unpacking after all the recent excitement and is increasingly worried, not only are there growing numbers of Russians in the city, but generals are dieing and wars are being lost. He also really really doesn't understand philosophy.

Scene 4: The cabinet

"Well we are rather indebted to him aren't we"

"Yes"

"And he insists on both"

"Seems so"

Scene 5: The Bar, late at night

Harry is drunk and bored with all this international peace. Much to his surprise he finds out that Venezuela has a Casus Belli on the UK ... he wonders ...

... to be continued ...

[1] - each defeat lowered my infamy and at peace it was dropping at .1 per month ...

Last edited:
A bold plan. Not a wise one, but perhaps a bold one.

I am worried by all this opening of new bars. Is Harry going down the Wetherspoon route to world domination?

Glad to see he is performing a reforming agenda anyway. Pleasing for the 0.03% of the population who want electoral reform. This is slightly more than want AV.

A bold plan. Not a wise one, but perhaps a bold one.

fortunately the plan is stopped before execution - my only valid CB just happens to be with the UK ....

I am worried by all this opening of new bars. Is Harry going down the Wetherspoon route to world domination?

Glad to see he is performing a reforming agenda anyway. Pleasing for the 0.03% of the population who want electoral reform. This is slightly more than want AV.

Well I'll avoid the danger of libel and merely consider that going into the fast food industry could be suitably ... well you know, evil.

In the next post Harry continues with his desire to reform ... even if no one else really wants to be reformed

In which Harry sulks for a while

Dramatis Personae:

Harry, a bored bartender who, using an alias [1] has a brief political career
Gabi, who is so bemused at the cultural developments he fails to check the savings
Rafe, who continues to contribute little of much use
A nameless politician, who forgets that crossing Harry is not a good idea
Astarte, an increasingly suspicious Empress trying to keep a closer eye on Harry

Scene 1: 2 seconds after the previous post

Gabi pulls the plug out the wall, just as Harry is on the point of proceeding.

"Hey ..."

"Harry its for your own good"

"Boring ..... , I mean look at all these fun wars and I'm not even allowed to be rude to Astarte ... thats it ... I'm off"

Scene 2: A heated debate in the new Government

President Eblis is leading the debate

"Right we're all agreed ... good"

"Oh and ... look invite the Brazilians over for a coffee ... lots of coffee ... I mean have you seen who their friends are"

"but Senor President"

"Yes"

"We can't just ignore this sort of thing"

"Yes we can"

"Senor President I must protest, it is our national honour at stake, I for one will die for my country first"

"Ok"

Screams are heard outside the room

"Now I think we need to do something about this too ... any more objections?"

Scene 3: A coffee bar in New York

Our technician still is reading the emails ...

... he is close to making a decision as to what he should do next ...

Scene 4: The Bar

Harry/Eblis bounces back in

"Heh Gabi ... long time no see ... hope you've been investing the profits wisely?"

[1] - Eblis of course being one of Harry's many names

Last edited:
If Harry weren't Harry (and if it wasn't for the occasional utilization of the crocodile), I'd say he was turning into some kind of freakish pinko liberal... Political reforms, social reforms, not going to war... This is all rather difficult to comprehend (though I guess it just goes to show how far Harry is willing to bend his principles if it means pissing off Astarte).

Much like Rurikovich Russia, the state seems to be doing remarkably well, considering Harry's close attention to its running. I'm not quite sure what that says...

These social reforms could be a long term plan to get people used to voting and then (once the telephone and television are invented) inflict endless x-factor/Britain's got 'talent' type progammes on them. I would rather meet the crocodile.

I am feeling rather sorry for Rafe and Gabi. They are having to struggle with a lot of arts and philosophy at the moment. Does this mean that industry (excluding coffee production) is a bit neglected in Venezuela?

Good to see that the crocodile has begun the fine tradition of military commanders meeting a grisly end in a Harry AAR. Then the beast protects the nation from a potentially very damaging war, I hope it is given a place in the cabinet at some point. Enjoying the scheming from both Harry and Astarte, I think Harry has the right idea in increasing his own nations power whilst weakening Britain via immigration. Although perhaps it is not such a good idea considering that it will likely rather irk Astarte.

Lets see, 15 years before the civil war kicks in for the USA - so you might be in some trouble. Or you might not..

apols - missed this with the last round of responses ... one goal is to hope the US does indeed become very distracted, but at the moment its mostly staying out of S America, just regularly bashing Mexico.

These social reforms could be a long term plan to get people used to voting and then (once the telephone and television are invented) inflict endless x-factor/Britain's got 'talent' type progammes on them. I would rather meet the crocodile.

I am feeling rather sorry for Rafe and Gabi. They are having to struggle with a lot of arts and philosophy at the moment. Does this mean that industry (excluding coffee production) is a bit neglected in Venezuela?

Ah, hadn't thought of Harry as some sort of popular game show host ... lets see if I can manage the needed inventions. I'm using a trick that used to work well in V1 with a decent sized mid-ranking state of pushing for the culture techs early and then filling in the industry/military ones a bit later. At least early/mid game culture is a good way to prestige and as long as I keep my bigger more dangerous neighbours happy, I can let the military drift a bit.

If Harry weren't Harry (and if it wasn't for the occasional utilization of the crocodile), I'd say he was turning into some kind of freakish pinko liberal... Political reforms, social reforms, not going to war... This is all rather difficult to comprehend (though I guess it just goes to show how far Harry is willing to bend his principles if it means pissing off Astarte).

Much like Rurikovich Russia, the state seems to be doing remarkably well, considering Harry's close attention to its running. I'm not quite sure what that says...

Don't worry he has plans ... and is trying to set Astarte and Michael off against each other ... in general what I think it says is this early in the game no large power is really interested in the NW corner of Latin America?

Good to see that the crocodile has begun the fine tradition of military commanders meeting a grisly end in a Harry AAR. Then the beast protects the nation from a potentially very damaging war, I hope it is given a place in the cabinet at some point. Enjoying the scheming from both Harry and Astarte, I think Harry has the right idea in increasing his own nations power whilst weakening Britain via immigration. Although perhaps it is not such a good idea considering that it will likely rather irk Astarte.

At some stage she'll spot that most of the population of the UK has moved to Venezuela, as it is at the moment she's merely using it as a 'tourist' destination. At this stage the crocodile is more in an enforcement role, but when Harry becomes President for eternity, he will need a few Consuls (& lets face it, a crocodile is as good as a horse in that role)