• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(149861)

Colonel
4 Badges
Aug 8, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Pillars of Eternity
The New Year leading into 1946 holds interesting times for the world. Hitler's Germany is gone, crushed in a two year war with the Soviet Union. The war cost both sides dearly, the Germans nearly achiving a critical breakthrough in the Caucauses, only to have victory snatched from them.

What followed was unique in the history of warfare. Never before has a army advanced across a contient, and defeating every nation in thier path. But that is what the Red Army achived.

From 1942 to 1944, the Red Army fought from the German border, to the deapths of Russia, back to the German border, to Paris, and in a climatic battle, the port of Brest on the Atlantic seaboard.

But they did not stop there. The war was carried to the Iberian penisular, for German troops fled over the border, ready to continue the fight in Franco's Spain and Portual. And so, the Red Army finaly halted at Gibralta and Lisbon.

The war in with Germany over, Europe has became a model communist bloc. Spain, France, the DDR, Belgium, the Netherlands, Denmark, Poland, Romania, Hungary, Italy Persia and Turkey are all members of the Comitern, firmly under the iron grip of the Soviet Union.

But Soviet domination does not stop thier. Portual is subjected to a military occupation following its governments evacuation to its colonial possessions to continue the fight against the world. Czechoslovakia, following a anti-communist uprising, in ruled badly by a colaborationalist regime, while its true government has fled to Brazil, with the pro-Axis Yugoslavian government to make the last stand of the Axis.

With total domination in the East, the Great Russian Bear has turned her eyes east. The Imperial Army of the Empire of Japan was at the threashold of a complete occupation of India following its stunning defeat of China, when the Soviet attack fell in mid 1944. Over a six-month campaign, the critcal port city of Vladivostock changed hands three times; the Red Army on the verge of its greatest defeat.

The Red Army was pulled back from disaster by the 1st Guards Tank Army under General Chuikov, fresh from the European War. Over the next year, a huge turnaround was effected. By 1946, Soviet Armies have advanced into the depths of China in a effort to root out the last remenants of the Japanese Army and its pupet forces, its goal, Bangkok, and closing the door on the Japanese Army in India.

The total focus of the Japanese Navy on defeating the American Navy showed. Despite the fact that the Japanese had manged to six at least four American battleships in fighting, the IJN was unable to act when the Soviet Navy and Air Force deployed two rifle corps and a paratroop corps on the island of Hokkaido. The fighting is intense, but the advance to Tokyo is inevitable, and with it, the collapse of Japan.

The question on the words of Generals and statesmen; soldiers, sailors and airmen; factory workers and mother is: what next?

Its slightly unusual for a AAR to take up in the middle of a game, but the situation brought about during this game, is as far as I know, unquie. I have not set a end date, but a Red Europe and Asia makes things interesting for the Cold War, and throw Axis Brazil messing up South America, and things are very volatile for a good game.

I feel as if ive wrote alot about the scenario, and I would like to avoid saying any more on it, but if you wish to ask anything not mentioned, fire away.

I am extremely busy with exams at present, so dont expect a post with pictures and details on too regular a basis.

Enjoy.

this sounds a fascinating premise, it'll be interesting to see how you solve the question of to project Soviet power to Latin America (its relatively easy into N America) ...

Its quite annoying that I didnt think to start it before now, as there was a nailbiting race to the Atlantic coast to pre-empt any American landings, as well as fighting into obscure fronts such as Persia and North Africa.

As for North America, we shall have to wait. Good to have you aboard!

General Report on the Conduct of the Great Patriotic War

Top Secret.

The military forces of Germany has, for all intents and puroposes, smashed beyond repair. Red Army units aquitted themselves admirably during the closing stages of the war, a fact that overshadowed the brave, yet futile stand of the Whermacht in France.

At present, the only active military force in Western Europe are the units detailed for the occupation of Spain and Portugal. With the retreat of Portugese forces to their colonial possessions, the collaboration government has been somewhat lacking in civil security duties. Futhermore, the mechanized nature of these garrison units allows for some flexibility in their usage, as they can easily be relocated to other duties.

spain-2.jpg

The remainder of contential Europe is firmly liberatated from capitalism. In all nations, a friendly communist government is established, and can be firmly controled by the Soviet Union through diplomatic channels without diverting to military force in order to enforce our will. Germany and France are shadows of what they once were, however, Italy has retained much of its army and naval power, and in spite of all the fortunes of war, maintains its occupation of Greece, a fact which remains a thorn to the Allied Powers.

europe-1.jpg

Status Report - Far Eastern Military Command

Update - Operation Red Blossom

Following the landing operation of the VDV corps on the island of Hokkaido, the three paratroop divisions have been reinforced by a rifle corps spirted across the straights from Vladivostock. With the Japanese Navy heavily involved with the Allied powers, Japanese naval presence in the East is a shadow of what it once was, but nevertheless, until the build up of the Soviet Far East Fleet is complete, the chances of supporting these units by sea is slim.

However, in spite of this, the units involved have aqquited themselves above and beyond what can be expected in the circumstances. Despite mounting resistance in the south, five divisions have cleared the path to Tokyo, and despite the overwhelming superiority of the Japanese both at sea and on land, air supplies and bombing missions have been a key factor in the sucess here.

japan-1.jpg

The same can be said for the units fighting in the south of China. Following the conclusion of Operation August Storm and the surrender of the Manchurian puppet state, the Japanese Army has been on the run for some time. However, as a result of better communications and proximity to supply centers, resistance has been mounting. In addition, the IJA is filling its ranks with units from its satalite states, the warlords of Yunnan and the nation of Siam providing most of the cannon fodder for Soviet formations. In spite of this, units are expected to reach Saigon before March.

indochina-1.jpg

The strategic implications for this are huge in terms of ending the war. The majority of Japanese units are bogged down in India, fighting off the British and Commonwealth units attempting to advance from Communist Persia. Though a breakthrough by the Allies here is possible, the chances are against it. From reports from all sources inside the Japanese state, their complete collapse is expected after the fall of Toyko and the entrapment of the IJA in India.

india-2.jpg

People's Commissariat for Foreign Affairs - International Review.

diplomacy.jpg

(NB-All members of the Comitern are considered as having puppet status by the Allied Powers and treated accordingly.)

Looks promising :)

Looks promising :)

Thanks alot. Not that you have time to waste reading, back to sweating on the MDS mod! So that I can do this with nuclear submarines and missile crusiers!

be fascinating to see how this plays out ... I think its a great place to start an AAR, so refreshingly different to the standard 1936 moves

I always felt that the game lacked a proper endgame between the Comitern and the Allies. It will be interesting to see what the game throws up.

Are you going to try to conquer India before the British after the Japanese defeat?

I dont think thats actually possible. If my units advance, the territory just reverts to the rightfull owner, ie Britain, and if I puppet Japan they still retain China, which is a situation I dont want. However, India is in a very weak position now, with the Red Army on its eastern border and the puppet forces of Persia on the west.

I dont think thats actually possible. If my units advance, the territory just reverts to the rightfull owner, ie Britain, and if I puppet Japan they still retain China, which is a situation I dont want. However, India is in a very weak position now, with the Red Army on its eastern border and the puppet forces of Persia on the west.

Yes, I've found that if the state is GIE (eg France) and with the Soviets you enter, you get occupation and once you have the capital, you can install your own Govt. If its still in the war as an active participant (eg the UK) then if you clear out the Germans/Japanese it reverst to the original owner so its only worth it if it gives you last few VPs held by say Germany. Certainly not worth any diversion of effort for any other reason.

Yes, I've found that if the state is GIE (eg France) and with the Soviets you enter, you get occupation and once you have the capital, you can install your own Govt. If its still in the war as an active participant (eg the UK) then if you clear out the Germans/Japanese it reverst to the original owner so its only worth it if it gives you last few VPs held by say Germany. Certainly not worth any diversion of effort for any other reason.

I was lucky in the west to avoid a allied landing when Germany was on the rocks, hence the Communist states in Europe. I probably wont be able to help out much in India anyways- I upgraded most of the Far Eastern units to mechanzied around '44 to keep my praticals high, and the supply stress is starting to show in southern China. I will reach Yunnan and knock them out the war, and stop there. I probably wont have the ability to carry on anyways, so India can be left to Britain and its puppet Iraqi troops.

Are you gonna create a new communist china after the fall of Japan?

Probably. Though revolt risk is comicaly low (around .6% as ive liberated China from Japan, its a little gamey for me to hold two of the major manpower areas in the game. Though the modifier for 'Naval Supermacy in the East' needs a occupied China, it also needs a Japanese island which America has saw fit to deploy a marine division on, and for the time being, thats out of my target.

Restoring Mao is my best best, as idealy I want to be using my vetran mechanized troops somewhere better than deadbeat China and its four infa provinces.

Situation Report - Soviet Far East Fleet

In order to secure our position on the Japanese mainland, it is a high prioirty that the Soviet Far East Fleet is built up to a reasonable level in terms of surface vessals. In the event of a Japanese surrender, the only remaining naval power to challenge us in the East will be the American Navy, and the lack of Soviet carriers will result in severe losses to our surface vessals. Though the Soviet Naval Deisgn Bureau is working over-time in developing suitable carriers for the Navy.

1PROD-1.jpg

(Attachment showing vessals currently in construction at Vladivostock. Not shown are 6 destroyer flottila's and 4 submarine flottila's)

However, the Soviet Submarine Service has a large advantage over its American counter-part. The new Whisky Class submarine is leaps and bounds ahead of the American submarines, mainly as a result of the technology absorbed by the German development into this feild. From either Vladivostock or the Korean port of Pusan, the Wiskey Class vessals can range halfway across the Pacific, and effectivly interdict American supplies to thier island bases.

Far Eastern Military Command - Situation Update

The might of the IJA is broken. Following the quick advance of Soviet units in Western China, the warlords of Yunnan have fled to thier hill hideouts, leaving much of the country to Soviet forces.

2asiayunnan-1.jpg

Soviet VDV divisions have reached the outskirts of Tokyo, only to be met with ferice resistance. Upwards of twelve formations are defending the city, some of which comprise of exiles from nations occupied as a result of the war.

3japan.jpg

Following 13 days, which many remarked was much worse than the fighting in Berlin, the Japanese capital was surrounded. After four days of intense fighting in the center of the city, Soviet paratroopers manged to storm the Imperial Palace. The Japanese Emperor had been flown out of the city three days previously, escaping to the Southern Japanese Home Islands, and from thier smuggled aboard a Brazilian freighter and taken to South America.

4japan.jpg

The raising of the hammer and sickle above the Imperial Palace marked the end of Japanese resistance in the Home Islands, but not elsewhere. The IJA, with its figurehead of the Emperor still alive, was determined to fight on in Asia. Despite mass desertions and low morale in nearly every unit, a die-hard was determined to ensure that the Emperor could be proud of his troops.

5surrender.jpg

The surrender of Japan prompted quickly the collapse of its longtime satalite state, Siam.

7siamsurrender.jpg

8japantrapped.jpg

(Overview showing scattered IJA resistance in India)

NKVD South America Section Breifing

The Brazilian Republic is performing well against the Western powers, considering its complete superiority in every aspect. Brazilian units have succeeded in holding down significant forces from the British and Canadian Armies, as well as Communist French and Dutch units.

6brazil.jpg

However, following American influence on Uruguay, the Brazilians have been outmanuvered. The lackluster quality of Uruguayan units is made up for the fact that Brazil will be unable to deploy anything bar localized milita's. Complete Brazilian collapse is expected within the year.

10brazilbackstab.jpg

Atricle in Pravda 1st June - 1946

Yesterday, the Central Committe announced that a new center for the research and development of rocket craft and missiles is to be set up. The Rocket Design Bureau, tasked with the development and advancement of Soviet science in this new area has announced its new base in Tyuratam, Kazakhstan. Called the Baikonur project for the fact that much of the testing aparatus is based nearby, the fact that such a advanced facility can spring from nothing in a short time meerly hightlights how the Soviet Union is leading in this feild.

9rocketprogram.jpg

Why not Bakinour?

The HoI 3 map is wrong in regards to Bakinour. The real Cosmodrome is actualy north of the river, where in HoI Bakinour is marked to the south. So, historical truth is preserved. Though, ive plenty of spare IC, and the design people wouldnt mind some more test sites...

The remainder of 1946, was, for the Soviet Union and its solar system of satalite states, meerly a period of re-construction. The bulk of the Red Army in Europe was withdrawn to the motherland. By the New Year, only garrisons remained in Portugal, the Balkans and Czechoslavakia.

The same was done on the eastern fringes of the Comitern's territory. A new military commander center was established, the South-East Asia Military Command, responsible for overseeing the former French colony of Indochina and Siam, as well as a small part of Southern China. The Far East Military Command remained unchanged, except without a long border to guard against the Manchurian's and Japanese, were deployed to secure the hinterland of China from roving bands of Imperial Japanese fanatics, who still carried on the war in the hills and mountains.

Elsewhere in the world, hopes for peace were dashed. Uruguay, after a quick strike north into Brazil, was left undefended when the Argentine Republic finaly commited itself to the war to aid Brazil. If Uruguay had expected American or British help, it recived none, and Montevideo fell quickly to the Argentine Army, prompting a quick surrender and submission to occupation.

Hopes were rasied yet again at the announcement on Christmas Day that Chile was joining the war, on the side of the Allies. Hardly the season for campaigning across the Andes, the progression of the war would have to wait until more favourable weather, in the New Year. However, even optimistic reports suggested that unless the Americans or British rushed significant help into Chilie, it would fall much as Uruguay.

Vladivostock, Soviet Union
2nd January, 1947

The ceremony for the launching of the three greatest and most advanced battleships in the Soviet Navy was not dulled down any by the terrible snow. Stalin, Molotov and Zhukov, along with a much larger smattering of lesser figures were present. General Chuikov have taken leave of his occupation duties in China to attend. The Stalin, first ship of the new line, was the last to be laucnhed. It was also the only ship with its name totaly decided. Molotov was looking downbeat, for he already had his name on the side of one of the ultra-modern crusiers of the Far East Fleet.

The bottle smashed over the bow of the great ship, admist the cords of the Internationale. Some hours later, it docked again at Hamhung harbour, sea trials complete, ready to join the growing Soviet presence in Asia.

Sorry for no screens, but nothing interesting happened worth uploading anything.

if my attempt at playing much the same set of dynamics is anything to go by, its slow work to get the Soviet armed forces into position for any sort of campaign in Latin America.

do you have any potential allies? Sometimes Venezuela seems to come up as LW Radical and if it won't join the Comintern you might get military access