Ad Astra! ... an Aurora Forum Game, run by blue emu

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Also what about retrofitting Planetary Defense sites and Fighters models with deadlier Antiship-Missiles ?

Our PDCs use size-8 missiles, not the size-4 carried by the fleet. The Fighters could carry bigger missiles, yes... but it would slow them down, and there are advantages to using the same calibre as our Destroyers and Cruisers... in a pinch, the Carriers can commandeer ordinance from the other ships in the Fleet instead of returning to base. We really need some Tenders...

June 14th, 2029. Relations with Charlie +197.5

The second expedition to the Nexus has arrived and unloaded. It is now on its way back to the Sol system. The third expedition was dispatched weeks ago, and is still en-route to the Nexus.

EDIT:

From its low point of 400-odd bucks, our cash-in-bank has tripled to $1264, with +5.60 per day. Major sectors of the economy remain shut down.

Last edited:
Definitely not a buoy. Our sensors can tell the difference, and identified it as a missile, and Hostile, not Neutral. We'll see what's beyond it, then (if nothing scary happens) return to the Procyon => Lutyen's Star jump point to drop our sensor buoy.

EDIT: it's nice to know that our PD missiles work as designed, anyway.

Work as designed on stationary targets.

Good to know still, but...yeah.

Exploration of a new jump point in Gliese 229 has led Commander Henkalv of ESN Hugin to the system of V557 Monoceri. Two Red Dwarf stars M4-V and M7-V, two rock-balls, four rocky planets, one of which is only slightly less habitable than Mars, five gas giants and a super-Jovian. 99 moons and 330 asteroids.

Work as designed on stationary targets.

Indeed.

However... it did identify them as hostile, target them, and fire off three PD missiles in salvo before I even knew the hostile target was there. That counts for something.

It's also nice to know that even a single hit by a size-1 PD missile will take out a size-24 target missile.

Hmmm. Might I suggest the new Admiral Class ships have one named after Alfred T. Mahan?

Hmmm. Might I suggest the new Admiral Class ships have one named after Alfred T. Mahan?

Mahan is good... my planned names were Nelson and John Paul Jones (of Bonhomme Richard vs HMS Serapis fame)

Mahan is good... my planned names were Nelson and John Paul Jones (of Bonhomme Richard vs HMS Serapis fame)

Might I also suggest Togo, Jellicoe, Yi Sun-sin, and Cheng Ho?

I suggest "Admiral Tirpitz". No Prik (if that's the singular?) shall brave the sight of his magnificient beard.

EDIT: Ah. I just remembered that a "Tirpitz" was already built by an administration which today is sometimes considered not to be quite a role model. I withdraw the suggestion.

Last edited:
At the end of June, relations with Charlie passed +200 and a Trade Pact was offered to them. So far, they have not reciprocated with a similar offer. Early in July, sensor buoys in the Ross 248 system registered the passage of "an unknown ship" through one of the jump points, but were unable to get a fix on it. On the 9th of July, sensors buoys in the Sol system made an identical report. Since this "unknown ship" passed through Ross 248 into Sol, it is presumed to be a Charlie ship, traveling too fast to be firmly identified by the short-range sensors on the buoys. Forces have been placed on alert, just in case.

Well... I think we need a second fleet ASAP. Charlie is going all through our territory, and the Prix are very much a major threat on both sides.

Dividing our fleet is senseless - all we'd achieve is establish token squadrons that either enemy can easily dispatch.

Even by adding in new ships...we need to keep all our strength massed, IMO. Instead we should hurry space fortresses to defend our colonies, with the fleet providing backup to our system-based defense.

Charlie's doing what Charlie has been doing from the start, and it hasn't made trouble for us yet.

I suspect a Charlie-unknown (Prix?) war to Widdershin of us may be ongoing. If the Prix are any indication, I wish the Charlies all the luck - for one thing they don't appear to outclass us as atrociously as the Prix, and for another, they're not shoot-first-and-ask-never types.

Our Thermal sensors have spotted six Charlie ships of a previously unknown class in the Sol system... these must be the "unidentified contact" reported earlier by our sensor buoy network. Probably not a cause for concern, but our forces remain on alert in any case.

G_139_Charlies.jpg

G_138_Charlies.jpg

I'm hoping for a some sort of glorified trade delegation bringing us lavish gifts from their Great Leader, but I quite cannot lose the mental image of a massive orbital bombardment....

Well... I think we need a second fleet ASAP. Charlie is going all through our territory, and the Prix are very much a major threat on both sides.

Once our four Carriers, the two Command ships, and the fifth Attitude are all completed, we will finally have enough forces in hand... assuming that none are lost in the meantime... to form two fairly strong fleets. One with one Command Ship, two Carriers, three Cruisers and two Destroyers; the other with one Command ship, two Carriers, two Cruisers and three Destroyers: eight ships each. By then, our Tugs will be finished, our Minelayers will be under construction, and we can settle on a design for an armed "space station" (which will actually be just a ship with no jump drive or engines, just armament, armor and shields, towed into place by a Tug) to guard our jump points.

I may just get a bit of a shot here...

I'm hoping for a some sort of glorified trade delegation bringing us lavish gifts from their Great Leader, but I quite cannot lose the mental image of a massive orbital bombardment....

They are all the same class and moderately high thermal, I feel that if they were invading that the force would be both larger and more varied.

Once our four Carriers, the two Command ships, and the fifth Attitude are all completed, we will finally have enough forces in hand... assuming that none are lost in the meantime... to form two fairly strong fleets. One with one Command Ship, two Carriers, three Cruisers and two Destroyers; the other with one Command ship, two Carriers, two Cruisers and three Destroyers: eight ships each. By then, our Tugs will be finished, our Minelayers will be under construction, and we can settle on a design for an armed "space station" (which will actually be just a ship with no jump drive or engines, just armament, armor and shields, towed into place by a Tug) to guard our jump points.

I like it! How fast at our proposed tech can the space stations be dragged to the colonies? AND THEN OUR FLEET CAN DESTROY THE PRIX! MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!