Ad Astra! ... an Aurora Forum Game, run by blue emu

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Given the speed of these attackers it might be wise to draw up plans for a series of Fast Attack Craft, designed specifically to be able to exceed 10,000 kps, that way we could maintain range against them whilst firing off waves of missiles. If nothing else at 1000 tons and smaller such craft would be easy to build quickly in large numbers and provide another layer of defence for Sol and out other Colonies.

For our new mines, would it be more effective to have greater numbers of weaker missiles deployed from the buoys? If the Goons' warships are moving ~10k km/s, their PD missiles will likely travel at least twice that, and two expensive missiles per buoy sounds like a great way to lose a lot of our salvo. If we fire swarms of size 1 or 2 missiles at them in order to more effectively saturate their PD systems, we might end up doing more total damage, even with less damage per missile.

On a related note, is the active sensor on the missile required if the buoy has one? From the interface picture you posted a few pages back, it doesn't look like there is any fire control option, so any missile without onboard sensors might be dumb, but is that a viable option? Any method of saving weight on the missile without reducing effectiveness should be taken.

Given these bastards are damn fast, I am in favour of some kind of long range missile w/ adequate fire control system. If their range is longer than ours, they can just stay out of range and bit by bit destroy our forces. Adequate fire control is self-explanatory. Tho a question remains: Do we have ECCM? If not, and they use ECM, our fire control range might be diminished. A lot.

For our new mines, would it be more effective to have greater numbers of weaker missiles deployed from the buoys? If the Goons' warships are moving ~10k km/s, their PD missiles will likely travel at least twice that, and two expensive missiles per buoy sounds like a great way to lose a lot of our salvo. If we fire swarms of size 1 or 2 missiles at them in order to more effectively saturate their PD systems, we might end up doing more total damage, even with less damage per missile.

On a related note, is the active sensor on the missile required if the buoy has one? From the interface picture you posted a few pages back, it doesn't look like there is any fire control option, so any missile without onboard sensors might be dumb, but is that a viable option? Any method of saving weight on the missile without reducing effectiveness should be taken.

How about 2 different types of missiles held by the mines?

A saturation missile that is cheap, small, weak, but fast and long-ranged, followed by our heavy hitter missiles that are larger, with much more powerful warheads. We could simply mix the two in the hopes that our saturation missiles soak up the majority of the enemy's missile defenses.

They wouldn't blow up our Diplo Team, as we'd be sending or listening in on their transmissions safely from Earth. :)

If they are precursor ships, you can not reason with them, diplomacy never works no matter how high the rating gets.

How do Lagrange points help? Intra-system jumps?

Also, is it possible to look at the tech tree and see how far you would need to advance to match Charlie's speed? If so we would have some idea of their general tech level when sizing them up for a fight.

Lagrange points allow you to make intra-system jumps from one to another. Someone has posted on the aurora forums the tech tree in a pdf which I've linked in the other thread. If we replaced our current engines with more advanced ones, we would need I would say roughly 2 or 3 advances in engine tech to match.

Well I believe precursor ships are built randomly, but in most games I've played they tend to have some sort of CIWS systems instead of AmM but it varies.

If they are precursor ships, you can not reason with them, diplomacy never works no matter how high the rating gets.

What's this talk of reasoning? We're at war son, and that kind of talk is sedition!

The diplomatic team is going to gather ELINT to determine whether or not they are in fact precursors or a rival civilization.

What's this talk of reasoning? We're at war son, and that kind of talk is sedition!

The diplomatic team is going to gather ELINT to determine whether or not they are in fact precursors or a rival civilization.

On that note, I swear I saw on the aurora forums that precursor aliens are identified as precursor aliens in their names automatically but I could be making that up.

This.
There's not much point building minefields our many jump points that would be specifically tailored for these Goones if they're actually Precursors - because they would never be used.

About faster ships, we can't build faster fighters by using more engines - fighters need to be below 500 tons. If we look at non-fighters military vessels, their size would probably be huge right now, because ships need heavy jump drive - fighters being inside a jump-driven carrier.

Well I believe precursor ships are built randomly, but in most games I've played they tend to have some sort of CIWS systems instead of AmM but it varies.

The logic should still hold, since CIWS Gauss cannon can only get a certain number of shots off each second. Given a total cost, a greater number of smaller, cheaper missiles can be produced than larger more expensive ones. A larger salvo should result in greater penetration, so total damage is not necessarily directly related to the size of a missiles's warhead.

If these are hostile aliens and not precursors, they will likely be here before we have time to retool a shipyard, produce a minelayer, load it up on mines and send it to mine the jump gates. And if they are precursors and not hostile aliens, they will likely never be here.

Now, there are a couple non-precursors scenarios that might still save our asses: hostile aliens without jump technology, hostile aliens that get lost trying to find their way to us through space, even hostile aliens that like Charlie feel the apparent need to build jump gates everywhere before jumping (for all we know the ships we encountered may not be jump capable), so planning for the building of these minelayers is not a bad idea per se.

Now, per Blue Emu, if they get to Earth, even the combined firepower of our bases and fleet wouldn't be able to stop these two ships, let alone an entire armada if they brought that. Is there any way we can improve our Earth-bound defenses in the short term?

So I take it no one thus far supports my idea for using two different missiles rather than one all-purpose one.

On that note, I swear I saw on the aurora forums that precursor aliens are identified as precursor aliens in their names automatically but I could be making that up.

I had to communicate with mine (and it was quite hard to) in order to identify them as precursors.

Rather than name a ship directly after Polar Mongoose I'm in favor of eventually creating a high speed and heavily armed warship that can approach the specs we witnessed in that first firefight.

Proposed name and class: Rikki-Tikki-Tavi Class Battlecruiser.

So I take it no one thus far supports my idea for using two different missiles rather than one all-purpose one.

I support it. Sounds prudent to have swampers and hitters.

Greatest terrestial alvian, could you index the actual gameplay updates and post them to the first post? To be quite frank, I dont want to rummage through all posts to find new stuff.

Greatest terrestial alvian, could you index the actual gameplay updates and post them to the first post? To be quite frank, I dont want to rummage through all posts to find new stuff.

At some point, yes... but it sounds like a massive job, with a couple if thousand posts to comb through and hundreds to list.

Commander Polar Mongoose is awarded the Alien Contact medal for discovering a new race of Aliens, and the "Pro Patria Mori" medal for giving his life in the cause of Humanity.

It's going to be quite a while before we can get those Minelayers out. With most of our Military yards tied up making Carriers, Attitudes or retooling for Admirals, we must wait for the other yard to finish its expansion next year, then retool it for Minelayers, then build them. The only other option would be to cancel either the new Attitude under construction, or the retooling for the Admirals.

EDIT: The 33rd Engineers on Dravar XV have unearthed another automated mine. Two more sites to check. No real goodies so far.

Last edited:

Are we longer than the Jingles thread yet?

On a game note, in my game I've developed a fairly cheap "sentry station" with long range thermal sensors but no engines that I can use a fleet tug to tow out to a waypoint near each jump point that I want to monitor. Perhaps we could use something like that in combination with our missile buoys.

March 22, 2029. War. Mankind's first interstellar war has begun, and we don't even know why. A second race of Aliens has been encountered, this time in the 80 Eridani system and they opened fire on sight, destroying our scout ship and killing Commander PolarMongoose and his crew of 503 officers and men.

Their ships were huge, fast and deadly. According to the fragmentary information that we have pieced together, they were at least three times larger than our biggest warship, nearly four times faster, and each Alien ship mounted a broadside of anti-ship missiles equivalent to all of the Cruisers in the ESN added together.

There was no warning... no attempt at communications. We don't even know what these new Aliens are called. Some of our men have been referring to them as "The Prix". I suppose that name will do, for now.

An Alien contact team is being assembled, to attempt communication with these new Aliens... although I don't hold out much hope for success. They showed no inclination to talk to our scout.

Unable to strike back at such a powerful opponent, we must look to our moat. Designs are being put forward for new types of Mines and Minelayers, to defend the jump points leading to Procyon and Sol. Unfortunately even these hasty measures will require years to put into place. Design, research, retooling, production... it's a slow process, and meanwhile the new enemy may already be searching for us.

Well... we must start by doing what's possible, and leave the impossible for tomorrow. Commander Arjyla has departed Earth for the Procyon system, to start placing Sensor Buoys at the entrances to that star system. At least we will have a little warning if they do find us.