Ad Astra! ... an Aurora Forum Game, run by blue emu

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
:( Posthumous medals for Polar Mongoose? One for alien contact, one for bravery?

So what's our strategy? Fall back to Procyon, rush the fleet there too, sensor buoy both sides of the Luytens Star and Gliese 205 jump points, and hope Charlie gets attacked? How far away are the carriers from being finished?

Dear citizens of the Terran Federation. The exploration of space was always a dangerous enterprise. Today, one of our young heroes has paid the ultimate price, when making the first contact with another race, that immediately opened fire. His commitment and accomplishments will be remembered.

101015_Trauerfeier_Selsingen_300x225_Bundeswehr_Wilke_flickr_com.jpg

These new guys suddenly give me newfound appreciation for the Charlies.

We should immediately deploy sensor buoys on any likely vectors of enemy attack, then if there is time resupply the fleet and get them ready to defend Procyon. Presumably fire up the missiles factories as necessary.

Also we should name an up and coming vessel if we build one before the Eridanes barge in ESN Polar Mongoose.

I count 19 size-6 explosions, not counting the ones that missed. If their targeting was as good as their engines, that salvo was probably 24 missiles... 12 missiles from each ship. Our Cruisers have four anti-ship-missile tubes each, three on the Destroyers. I seriously doubt that our entire fleet... four Cruisers and five Destroyers... could take these clowns on. Their to-Hits would be far better than ours, for one thing, even ignoring any tech advantage... we would be shooting at 9,700 km/sec targets, while they shoot at 2,500 km/sec targets.

So... strategy. Do we send our Fleet to Procyon? Or hold it back where the fixed defenses on Earth can cover it?

If these dudes are Predecessors, they are unlikely to explore for us. If they are nasty aliens... I would really prefer to have our Carriers finished before we try to take them on. Three are due out at the end of next year, one more seven months later.

These new guys suddenly give me newfound appreciation for the Charlies.

We should immediately deploy sensor buoys on any likely vectors of enemy attack, then if there is time resupply the fleet and get them ready to defend Procyon. Presumably fire up the missiles factories as necessary.

Also we should name an up and coming vessel if we build one before the Eridanes barge in ESN Polar Mongoose.

I vote the first carrier out of the shipyards and our flagship to be christened the Polar Mongoose.

I say we wait for the carriers. It would be nasty to lose our entire fleet at this point. The more the merrier!

How long would a ship that jumps in be out of commission? Could we keep bouncing a ship in and out of the system to keep tabs until buoys are set up?

Also, odds of this being a vagabond fleet and not a major alien race?

If we lose Procyon, all we have guaranteed access to is Sol. Sensor buoy the jump points leading to Procyon from the hostile system, and make our stand there, if tht's what it's going to come to. Hopefully Charlie will be dragged in. What are Procyon's defences like atm? One NORAD base?

Also, odds of this being a vagabond fleet and not a major alien race?

Hard to say. I'm hoping that these dudes are Predecessors, because they don't explore... at least, the info from the ruins on Dravar XV indicates that they gave up expansion thousands of years ago, and decided to just entrench themselves in their controlled systems.

If they're an Alien race, they're way beyond us in tech. We'll have to beat them with numbers, and we don't have the numbers yet. We'll also need better anti-missile defenses.

What are Procyon's defences like atm? One NORAD base?

Yes, plus quite a strong ground force.

Is there some relatively low brow, low tech but effective way we can protect the jump points to the SOL system? Automated missile installations, mines etc?

Definitely deploy buoys to Procyon. If possible deploys buoys to Gliese 205 and Luyten's Star, at least at the Procyon jumps to give us some extra advance warning should these clowns come for us. We probably can't buoy out the Gliese 209 jumps in time if these are hostile aliens.

However, avoid contact wherever possible for the fleetm, and invest in whips for the shipyard overseers.

Is there some relatively low brow, low tech but effective way we can protect the jump points to the SOL system? Automated missile installations, mines etc?

Not that I know of, no. Wouldn't everybody use it, if there was?

I like idea about mines. Can alien vessels do serious harm to our colony, or do they require some sort of siege ships ?

They can bombard it from orbit, destroying installations, killing people and trying to cause a "nuclear winter" effect. They can't capture the colony without ground troops, though.

So what should we call these Aliens? "The Dickheads"?

OK... I've been checking it out, and mines are indeed possible. We would need a purpose-built mine-layer to place effective mines, though... the tubes in our warships wouldn't be able to place a mine large enough to really hurt one of those puppies.

The Eridani Scourge?

The Jerks?

The Eridani Scourge?

"Xylons"?

"The Borg"?

EDIT:

... or maybe...

G_124_Aliens.jpg

... "The Rebs"? That looks like a US Civil War southerner's uniform.

Last edited: