Ad Astra! ... an Aurora Forum Game, run by blue emu

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
One at each end of the Sol => Ross 248 jump point, one at each end of the Sol => Procyon jump point, one at each end of the Ross 248 => Nexus jump point... that covers all the path to-and-from our colony worlds... and perhaps one at the near end of the Ross 248 => Groombridge 34 jump point. That's seven per year. Hold the rest in reserve for contingent use.

That sounds fine, and the 50 will last a while yet until a full time replacement becomes available.

Anyone who attacks Earth directly is probably in for a shock, unless their tech is just grotesquely higher than ours. When Charlie was closing in on Earth, he was in a cross-fire that could deliver 174 size-4 to size-8 missiles in the first salvo, without reloading. That should totally saturate his point defenses, allowing nearly half of the missiles to hit.

In my rule-of-thumb calculations, I count on his Point Defense taking out about half of our missiles... until it's saturated, when all the rest get through... after which about half of the missiles that penetrated his point defense should score hits.

That does sound very impressive, it would be interesting to see how it fares in combat. I had something to say but it slips my mind now.

Lt-Commander Rockingluke has again increased his Diplomacy skill, to +30%, further boosting our Diplo team that is negotiating with Charlie.

Our cash-on-hand has dropped to 490 bucks, losing 9 bucks per day. When the batch of 50 sensor buoys is done, I will shut down the missile factories. Our production factories will be building nothing but Financial Centers for the forseeable future. Tighten your belts, everybody!

Excellent news!
If Charlie tries any sneaky moves, he will hopefully be caught now.

Edit: Well, the cash issue isn´t excellent of course...

OK, I think I've finally figured out how to do this...

G_116_Buoy.jpg

... jeeze, this game interface is freakin' complicated. I thought for a few minutes that we were going to have to open an airlock and just TOSS the damn thing out.

EDIT:

After placing a buoy on our side, I jumped through to to the Ross 248 end of the jump point and dropped another buoy.

G_117_Buoy.jpg

I might as well place the remaining buoys in this area... one at each end of the Nexus jump, and one at this end of the Groombridge 34 jump, before returning to Sol to place the last pair straddling the jump to Procyon. That will give Charlie a bit of time to finish the Gate and clear off.

Last edited:
Commander Henkalv in ESN Hugin reports that he has found a new jump point in the Gliese 229 system to Widdershins of Earth. He is investigating it now.

EDIT: Commander Henkalv has found a habitable planet!... and two marginally habitable planets, as well.

The new Gliese 229 jump point leads to the Gliese 257 system: Two Red Dwarf stars, both M3-V. Three rock-balls, four rocky planets (two of them with Nitrogen/Oxygen atmospheres), two gas giants and one super-Jovian. 62 Moons and 587 Asteroids. The habitable world would be quite Earth-like if the atmosphere were thicker (ie: a higher pp of Oxygen), and one of the marginally habitable planets would be quite nice if we warmed it up a hundred degrees or so. It's a bit on the chilly side. Oxygen atmosphere, though, which is uncommon.

This looks like a good find... especially since it is about as far from Charlie's area as it's possible to get... it lies to Widdershins of Dravar XV. Congratulations to Commander Henkalv!

EDIT: Map on Post #1 updated.

Last edited:
OK, I think I've finally figured out how to do this...
... jeeze, this game interface is freakin' complicated. I thought for a few minutes that we were going to have to open an airlock and just TOSS the damn thing out.

It´s nice that you can see the time remaining directly on the map.

Commander Henkalv in ESN Hugin reports that he has found a new jump point in the Gliese 229 system to Widdershins of Earth. He is investigating it now.

Let´s hope Henkalv finds something interesting. The Procyon "arm" seems pretty barren so far.

Out of curiosity, have the new scouts been sent out on active missions yet?

In the meantime...

To: Crew of ESNA Chinook

It is with a heavy heart that I must announce I have been transfered to the geo-survey vessel ESN Schloch. While I relish the opportunity to serve our Mother Earth in a new capacity, and to go forth and observe new worlds, I must say that serving as your commanding officer has been an honor and privilege, and that you have been a formidable crew.

I trust that you will welcome my successor, Lt. Commander Nabobalis, as you welcomed me. This in mind, I've made sure that all sneezing powder, exploding gift packs, shock buttons, fake cakes and badgers were taken off the ship before I left.

May Earth Endure Eternal.

Cmdr. Guillaume HJ, ESN Schloch, Out.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, have the new scouts been sent out on active missions yet?

Yes. Everybody is out searching. This was Henkalv's first scouting assignment... and he found three habitable or marginally habitable worlds in his first new system!

Let´s hope Henkalv finds something interesting. The Procyon "arm" seems pretty barren so far.

See my edit above.

This system looks good. Not only does it have three worlds that we can colonize, it also has dozens of moons, hundreds of asteroids (some of which potentially have mineral deposits)... and most important, LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION.

Last edited:
Yes. Everybody is out searching. This was Henkalv's first scouting assignment... and he found three habitable or marginally habitable worlds in his first new system!

See my edit above.

Excellent news!
Henkalv deserves a medal.

Excellent news!
Henkalv deserves a medal.

We could possibly introduce a "Magellan" discovery badge for people who find planets rated no worse than class-2 (Mars is class-2). That would require combing through the thread to see who discovered what, though.

I support such a medal.

Our two jump-capable Expedition class Troop Transports have been built on Earth, and that civilian dockyard has been allowed to go idle, to save money. Cash-in-bank, $462, GAINING (ie: no longer losing) $0.40 per day! Forty cents! We're rich!

I support such a medal.

Are you volunteering to comb through the thread and compile a list of which scout discovered what?

Our two jump-capable Expedition class Troop Transports have been built on Earth, and that civilian dockyard has been allowed to go idle, to save money. Cash-in-bank, $462, GAINING (ie: no longer losing) $0.40 per day! Forty cents! We're rich!

Hooray! Back in black! Now let's expand the military again! :D

Hooray! Back in black! Now let's expand the military again! :D

That's the plan... but slowly. We've got four Carriers building, and their air-groups are already built and waiting. We have another Attitude building, plus two Hercules Tugs. In May of this year, we will be laying down two Admiral Command-and-Control ships. That's likely all we can afford for now.

I wonder if we've really managed to turn the corner on the Economy, and can avoid going in the hole? Wouldn't that be awesome?

ESN von Haast under Commander Octavian Dorieus has been dispatched to the newly discovered Gliese 257 system to search for mineral deposits.

A quick run-down on our current and planned Fleet:

Once the Carriers, the two Admirals and the fifth Attitude are completed, our Battle Fleet will number sixteen vessels:

five Star class Missile Destroyers
five Attitude Class Missile Cruisers
four Mountain class Light Carriers
two Admiral class Command ships

... that's enough for two fairly strong squadrons.

We have fifteen scouts:

six Geologist class Geo-Scouts
nine Astronomer class Grav-scouts

Our support vessels number twenty-six, nine of which carry jump drives:

five jump-capable Mayflower class Colony Ships
two jump-capable Expedition class Troop Transports
three Venture class Troop Transports
nine Mule class Freighters
five Gas Station class Tankers
two jump-capable Hercules class Fleet Tugs

Total: 47 vessels (completed or building) after four years of play.

Last edited:
How quickly do you run out of resources in a system? You'd think the Kuiper belt + the Oort cloud alone would have enough minerals to last hundreds of thousands of years!

Perhaps it might be a good idea to have a post somewhere with the specifications of each of our active designs?

Sorry if this has already been covered, but what settings are you using to get those actual maps from the map screen. All I get is a blob with all systems displayed on top of each other.

How quickly do you run out of resources in a system? You'd think the Kuiper belt + the Oort cloud alone would have enough minerals to last hundreds of thousands of years!

Minerals, yes... but what we need are these spooky, rare Trans-Newtonian minerals, like Duranium and Corbomite. Not sure how long a system will last... Earth's un-mined reserves will be mined out in a few years, but we have pretty good stockpiles.

========= ========= ========= ========= ==========

The Nexus Expedition under Commander Stonewall has arrived at the Nexus and successfully established Humanity's second interstellar colony! The ESNA Agora, ESNA Amalthea, ESNA Red Dwarf, ESNA Hansa and ESNA Chinook have unloaded colonists, infrastructure, automated mines, some of their maintenance stores and nearly half of their fuel, to provide a forward base for scouts.

They are now returning to Earth to prepare for a second trip out to the Nexus.

Perhaps it might be a good idea to have a post somewhere with the specifications of each of our active designs?

I've posted the specs twice.

Sorry if this has already been covered, but what settings are you using to get those actual maps from the map screen. All I get is a blob with all systems displayed on top of each other.

Me too. Just shift-click-drag them into place. Then "Sys Pos" save the new arrangement.

I meant a set reference post somewhere that is kept up to date as ship designs change. Similar to the command structure post in the other thread.

When I get some time, I'll add it to the first post.

========= ========== ========== ========= ========

Holy crap! On his way back from the new colony, I had Commander Stonewall try an intra-system Lagrange-point jump across to the other star in the loose binary... and it shaved EIGHTY DAYS off his trip-time! That's 160 days off the round-trip time! I'll have to use that new route for all our trips to and from the Nexus. It does have the disadvantage that both the stars and the Lagrange points move, unlike jump points, but still it has to save a lot of time whenever the system geometry is right for it.

EDIT:

We have dropped off sensor buoys at both ends of the Ross 248 => Nexus jump point, and are heading over to lay one on the near side of the Groombridge 34 jump point.

EDIT:

Relations with Charlie are now +176.5

Last edited: