Ad Astra! ... an Aurora Forum Game, run by blue emu

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm really not sure what is best... perhaps I should wait a month, measure the exact rate at which relations with Charlie are improving, and determine just how long we'll need to wait to reach +200 (and presumably a treaty). That will tell us whether we can afford to put exploration of Groombridge 34 on hold until we have a treaty with Charlie.

Sounds prudent. As a member of the diplomatic corp, I fully support that notion.

Do we have any ships in the Ross 248 System who watches the JG to Groombridge?

No. I dislike stationing ship and leaving them in one spot. The early part of the game is all about exploration and gathering information so that you can make sesnsible plans. For example, without the discovery of the Nexus and the surrounding habitable worlds, we might have felt committed to fighting for the Groombridge 34 system.

Sounds prudent. As a member of the diplomatic corp, I fully support that notion.

OK... on December 1st 2028, our relations are +166.9

We met them at Groombridge 34. I tend to assume it would be unwise to colonise there, particularly as long as we don't know which system they actually inhabit.
BTW, we already have enough colonising going on, Mars (going well), Dravar XV, and soon the Nexus. Adding another faraway planet to the list is stretching our forces a bit, in my opinion.
On the other hand, I don't have any objection to scouting Groombridge. We need more detailed info on the Charlies' whereabouts.

No. I dislike stationing ship and leaving them in one spot. The early part of the game is all about exploration and gathering information so that you can make sesnsible plans. For example, without the discovery of the Nexus and the surrounding habitable worlds, we might have felt committed to fighting for the Groombridge 34 system.

I totally agrees on that decision in general. But isn´t it worrying that Charlie could sneak a fleet into even the Sol system before sensors picks him up?

For example, without the discovery of the Nexus and the surrounding habitable worlds, we might have felt committed to fighting for the Groombridge 34 system.

Might have felt, sir? :mad:

I totally agrees on that decision in general. But isn´t it worrying that Charlie could sneak a fleet into even the Sol system before sensors picks him up?

Yes, it is. Very worrying.

But I hate to tie down a useful vessel. I suppose I could station a mostly-empty Tanker there... but they have crap for sensors.

That's the big problem... the only vessels we have that carry even the lowest grade of sensors are our Scoutships, our Troop Transports, and our Warships. I'd hate to tie down... and offer as bait... any of those vessels. A Tanker or (possibly) a Freighter would be more expendable... but they are nearly blind. What would be the point of stationing a blind vessel to "keep an eye on things"?

Hmmm... relations with Charlie seem to be going up at about 0.14 per day. About eight months to +200, then. Roughly.

I'm really not sure what is best... perhaps I should wait a month, measure the exact rate at which relations with Charlie are improving, and determine just how long we'll need to wait to reach +200 (and presumably a treaty). That will tell us whether we can afford to put exploration of Groombridge 34 on hold until we have a treaty with Charlie.

But a trade treaty will have no purpose for spying if we use a military ship to do so as it will lower relations since a trade treaty allows only commercial ships without loss in relation.

You could create a patrol vessel class, that would be small, with large sensors, and minimal weapons, easy to assemble, no?

You forget that the shipyard has to be retooled and that could take quite some time.. None the less, a good idea.

I suggest that we wait for an agreement with the Charlies.

Hmmm... relations with Charlie seem to be going up at about 0.14 per day. About eight months to +200, then. Roughly.

Is it 1.) guaranteed that 200 is the limit AND 2.) guaranteed that ze charlie accepts? :mad:

January 1st 2029... the beginning of year 5.

Confirmed: Relations with Charlie are gong up by 0.1466666 per day. It will take seven and a half months to reach +200 (and probably a trade treaty).

We have 801 bucks in the bank, and -18 per day... bankruptcy is immanent. That's what we get for trying to expand as fast as possible, I guess. Repairing the economy must be a major goal for this year.

Arjyla said:
Is it 1.) guaranteed that 200 is the limit AND 2.) guaranteed that ze charlie accepts?

Yes, and no.