Ad Astra! ... an Aurora Forum Game, run by blue emu

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Just read through it all, great stuff.

As leader of the war party in the federal (rubberstamp) senate I must voice my displeasure that we allowed Charlie to drop off not only an espionage team but also actively scan our ships. IN OUR OWN SECTOR! These provocations are surely a way to test our resolve and so far we've prostrated ourselves and let it happen. Charlie must now think we're weak and won't defend ourselves. The next time he sends a ship so close to Earth we fire; a warning shot at first and if he doesn't get the message we go hot. Earth is our home and we will defend it! :mad:

Earth appears to be safe but isn't that jump gate Charlie is building the one that connects to the Procyon system? So in essence a number of destroyer sized alien vessels could show up around in Procyon system and advance on our dig sites.

What about that Precursor fighter facility w discovered? Can we get it operational soon and start producing more local defenses?

Destroyer-sized starships can't do much to a planet... especially one with a NORAD base and eight combat units on it. I seriously doubt that the Charlie squadrons we've seen so far are a threat to Dravar XV. They are a distinct threat to spaceships however.

One Fighter facility is pretty useless. Earth already has 117 Fighter factories, and it still takes a week or two to build each Fighter. One Factory would take decades to build a Fighter. At this early stage in Dravar XV's development as a colony, your population is is better employed in construction factories (building more construction factories) or in mines or finance centers.

Just read through it all, great stuff.

Considering the primitive level of graphics in the interface... "Flash" style crude maps, plus lots of charts and tables of figures... this is a freakin' TENSE game to play! I find it more immersive than most graphics-oriented games.

We now have three Grav scouts and one Geo scout who lack Forum commanders. Applications should be made to Rear Admiral Arjyla, in the sign-up thread.

We have laid down the keel for our fourth Light Carrier. Three scout ships have been sent through the Procyon system from different angles, criss-crossing the system to try and locate that Charlie squadron that ducked out of the Sol system through the Procyon jump point. No sign of them anywhere. They are either sitting in stealth mode somewhere with their engines off, or they ducked out through a different jump point and headed off into a different system.

Bankruptcy steadily approaches... we've been building Financial Centers as quickly as possible, but I doubt that this measure alone will be enough to keep our treasury afloat. We've already shut down the Fighter factories again, and I'm considering shutting down the Missile factories next.

What an interesting night (or evening for you I suppose)!
When I read your reports I was afraid was about to try colonize Earth. But if it just was a team drop off, that´s probably the best of many much worse alternatives.
But I´m relived it all went out peacefully, even if it seemed to be closed there. Maybe it was lucky that the fleet was in another system when Charlie decided to move in.

But what does espionage really do?
Do they gain intelligence or are they able to delay stuff, assassinations and so on (á la HoI or Civ).

I hope counter-espionage work!

The best post I could find about came from Steve in 2008: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,1291.0.html

At the moment there are no counter-espionage teams, although I am open to being persuaded otherwise. The two main reasons are:

1) Espionage teams, like tech scanning, are a way for weaker empires to catch up a little to stronger empires and also to throw a little more uncertaintly into the mix. A stronger empire can probably build more teams than a weaker empire and will gain more intelligence in terms of enemy systems and class data but in terms of technology there is probably less for them to learn. If the greater number of teams from a stronger empire were used in a counter-espionage role then it would likely prevent the weaker empire from gaining any knowledge, which would defeat my intent in creating the espionage rules.

2) Espionage in this context represents more than sneaking into hostile countries. It also includes signals intelligence and perhaps doing something as simple as watching news reports or buying consumer goods and taking them apart to learn about their underlying tech. In real world terms, weaker nations have a great deal of technology invented in stronger nations and most of it is effectively given away. They can also often gain useful intelligence by watching CNN. None of this can be prevented by counter-espionage. Or put another way, if an alien race sneaked agents on to Earth, how much do you think they could learn about the planet and its defences without ever leaving their apartment?

In terms of teams (of any type) being optional, they are optional in the sense that you can choose not to build them, either playing solo or as an agreement between players.

Steve

Sir,

We MUST retaliate! We have sneaky aliens sneaking around, no doubt aided by liberal anti-emu scum! :mad: They are getting more and more information about our capacities and a possibility in stealing our tech, while we do not even know what planet they are on for certain! We must send in an espionage team of our own, in order to find out more about them and to steal their tech! :mad:

Sir,

We MUST retaliate! We have sneaky aliens sneaking around, no doubt aided by liberal anti-emu scum! :mad: They are getting more and more information about our capacities and a possibility in stealing our tech, while we do not even know what planet they are on for certain! We must send in an espionage team of our own, in order to find out more about them and to steal their tech! :mad:

Another theory. They came in order to spy a little bit. After having been here for 10 seconds they realized, how far behind we are, loled heavily, disembarked again and will never bother us again, since we are obviously nothing more than more or less developed bacteria compared to them.

Another theory. They came in order to spy a little bit. After having been here for 10 seconds they realized, how far behind we are, loled heavily, disembarked again and will never bother us again, since we are obviously nothing more than more or less developed bacteria compared to them.

Wars have been started over less:mad:

'Anything you want to add to that report?'
'Perhaps one more thing: their ships, they had no windows. I was a few meters in front of what seemed like a command-bridge. Neither it, nor anything else had windows... I thought that was odd.'

Debriefing of Lt.Cmdr. Silvestris after the first Sol incident.

Well, at least we have to assume they know of our colonies now, using their tricksy espionage means. Should keep that in mind. They do seem rather docile/peaceful, tho. Either that or they are probing at which point we will react to their acts that can be seen as aggressive.

Considering the primitive level of graphics in the interface... "Flash" style crude maps, plus lots of charts and tables of figures... this is a freakin' TENSE game to play! I find it more immersive than most graphics-oriented games.

I think thats why it works. It has enough graphics to give you a clear idea of whats going on, (Map of the explored galaxy, system maps) but leaves the rest to your imagination. A bit like reading a book, really, and painting those pictures in your mind :)

Scary little encounter. I wonder how long it will take to gather information about Earth and the size of our military. I'd imagine that within a year if Charlie doesn't attack then it never will. Since I recall reading Charlie gains info just like a human player, I'd suspect that its decision will be based on learning just how costly this war will be. Hopefully it is occupied with colonizing other planets and is strapped for cash as much as Earth.

I'm not too worried and not because I'm stationed far from Earth :p but because by the time Charlie realizes Earth's minimal strength, trade relations will be higher, and Earth's rate of growth will start catching up with the aliens before they can bear down enough force.

Those carriers could be real useful soon... :D

No, I meant more like a "have a close encounter with their home world" sort of thing.

That would require finding their homeworld. Though I suppose we could simply follow the jump gates.

I've been considering sending a Geo-scout into the Groombridge 34 system... where we first met them... to scan all those worlds.

Opinions?