Ad Astra! ... an Aurora Forum Game, run by blue emu

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Some news from our xeno-archeological digs on Dravar XV: the 32nd Engineer Brigade under Brigadier Quift has uncovered an alien Fighter Factory which can be adapted to produce our own design of Fighters. Work continues on the remaining eight ruined sites.

Yeeeesssssss.

On the very first dig on Dravar XV our findings have already partially compensated us for the resources we have spent on the colony and its defenses.

Can the bellicose and foolhardly proponents of establishing a new colony in the Nexus cliam we will be so quickly rewarded for our efforts there?

Can the bellicose and foolhardly proponents of establishing a new colony in the Nexus cliam we will be so quickly rewarded for our efforts there?

I understand the Governor`s worries, but unfortunately we have no other option than expansion.

It is pretty unimportant to us right now, what Charlie wants, since even if they are hostile, we are probably unable to oppose them. And if they are friendly, there is no harm in asserting our claim to further systems, especially since systmes with inhabitable planets are pretty rare.

I support the motion, that Sol and Procyon are of more importance and should have a higher priority in terms of supplies, but nevertheless we have to divert some resources to our new colony.

I want to state my reservations on setting up a new colony so soon when Dravar XV has yet to be fully exploited. My preference is still for dividing all resources, both civilian and military, between Earth and Dravar XV. Dravar XV could elevate us to the status of Galactic superpower. It seems foolhardy to disperse our strength in such a haphazard manner.

I am alarmed by these new jump gates the Charlies have constructed. It is the height of presumption to enter our systems and build these contraptions when we have no formal treaties. And the newest of these gates will be heading towards my colony in the Procyon system. That the Charlies have the riches and resources to construct such vast installations speaks volumes. There grasp is almost certainly equal to their reach.

We are starting a new colony without any firm understanding of the Charlies' intentions. The Charlies are also building a galactic superhighway straight to our treasure world of Dravar XV. As Governor-General of Dravar XV I must state that our current defenses are manifestly inadequate to defending the Secrets of the Precursors. We apparently have some marines and a lone missile base. And yet here we are setting up a new colony which will doubtless require that even more resources be siphoned from Dravar XV.

I understand your concern, Governor, but I must deal with those concerns and with others as well.

Humanity is still confined to two adjacent systems, both of which have already been located by these enigmatic aliens from the Groombridge sector. At the moment, all of our eggs are in a single basket. By colonizing The Nexus, which contains a habitable world and is adjacent to three other habitable systems, we hope to spread Humanity too widely for a hypothetical alien aggressor to wipe out. The Charlies have so far shown themselves to be rather cautious... if they are not confident that they can conquer all of our worlds at a stroke, perhaps they will be disuaded from risking the attempt.

From what we know so far of the layout of star systems in this segment of the Orion Arm, The Nexus is the most valuable real estate in Known Space. It is also roughly equidistant from Earth and from the spot where we first encountered the Charlies. We cannot allow this valuable region to fall into alien hands by default.

No reasonable effort will be spared to develop and safeguard our colony on Dravar XV... one Brigade of Engineers, four Battalions of Garrison Troops and four of our finest combat Battalions are already on the spot, plus a missile base fully equal to any of those guarding Earth itself and recently re-armed with the latest, most advanced weaponry in our arsenal... but to turn our backs on the rest of the Galaxy does not fall under the heading of "reasonable effort".

We are starting a new colony without any firm understanding of the Charlies' intentions. The Charlies are also building a galactic superhighway straight to our treasure world of Dravar XV. As Governor-General of Dravar XV I must state that our current defenses are manifestly inadequate to defending the Secrets of the Precursors. We apparently have some marines and a lone missile base. And yet here we are setting up a new colony which will doubtless require that even more resources be siphoned from Dravar XV.

If there is a conflict with the charlies, they'll be coming through the jumpgate to Dravar XV which passes through sol system. This means, that diverting defensive resources from earth to Dravar XV on permanent basis and large quantity would not help to defend either planet, on the contrary.

I understand the Governor`s worries, but unfortunately we have no other option than expansion.

It is pretty unimportant to us right now, what Charlie wants, since even if they are hostile, we are probably unable to oppose them. And if they are friendly, there is no harm in asserting our claim to further systems, especially since systmes with inhabitable planets are pretty rare.

I support the motion, that Sol and Procyon are of more importance and should have a higher priority in terms of supplies, but nevertheless we have to divert some resources to our new colony.

Wait, what? You support this? :mad:

Rear Admiral Arjyla is on his way back to Earth from the Procyon system, where he dropped off roughly 100 of the new-model missiles for the NORAD base on Dravar XV. He also unloaded half of his spare parts and maintenance supplies at the colony, to be used to service our scouts operating from this advanced base.

If there is a conflict with the charlies, they'll be coming through the jumpgate to Dravar XV which passes through sol system. This means, that diverting defensive resources from earth to Dravar XV on permanent basis and large quantity would not help to defend either planet, on the contrary.

You assume that the Charlies have not found out about the Precursor ruins or that they will fail to become aware of them in the future. It would not be unreasonable to bypass the Earth system now that there are permanent jump gates leading in and out and seize Dravar XV and all of its vast secrets.

You assume that the Charlies have not found out about the Precursor ruins or that they will fail to become aware of them in the future. It would not be unreasonable to bypass the Earth system now that there are permanent jump gates leading in and out and seize Dravar XV and all of its vast secrets.

By emu, we'll kick their alien asses all the way back to wher'ever they came from if they try to pull a fast one like that! :mad: The point stands, they have to go through us to get there, Governor Nixon. We have a better chance at stopping them with Sol Defence + Fleet, than diving massively resources to Dravar XV which then cannot be used in the blocking action at Sol.

I'm perfectly happy to see a capable colonial defence nonetheless, so you needn't worry, Governor. Nonetheless, when we have only so few eggs, the only prudent measure is to keep them in one basket for now if we wish to counter any serious push towards earth or Dravar XV. Further expansion helps us to gain more resources for military expansion, as well as outlaying distractions and resupply bases for anti-charlie operatiosn. :mad:

I am naturally in full support of founding new colonies in the Nexus. Humanity need all the opportunities it can get to increase it's industrial might with new mining operations and new possibilities to grow it's population. The only way is to outproduce the alien! Also, colonizing will lead to new career opportunities,
Uh..,I mean new opportunities to show the aliens whats what, yeah, thats what:cool: I meant

You assume that the Charlies have not found out about the Precursor ruins.
To know about them, Charlies must've sent a surveying mission on Dravar XV. If they had, they would've been spotted, I suppose.
So, if they ever feel so bold as to send advanced survey ship or even ground team here, they'll be too late to uncover anything in the ruins. This would take them months, and we'll have found anything worth fiding before that. Look at how fast we found this factory.

Then, they probably know we would consider such a move an act of war - and they'd be quite an easy target if a few Charlie ships and guys got stuck on Dravar XV. They'll probably have a better chance of gaining these ruins if they went straight to total war and managed to beat us entirely in a couple of months.

MSG RADAR Station Iche Bins reporting
Hot Flash Hot Flash
We have four unknown vessels in the Asteroid belt of Sol system
Thermal signatures 720, three different ship classes
Sensor readings match Charlie designs
They appear to be headed away rpt away from Earth
Urgently advise that Admiral Arjyla be recalled to the Sol system
- Iche Bins out
MSG ends XXXXX

G_108_Charlie.jpg

G_107_News.jpg

FYI they are NOT coming from the jump point to Ross 248. We have a colony task force on that heading, already past them, which made no contact with them.

EDIT : Rear Admiral Arjyla will be back in the Sol system (at the Procyon jump point ) in two-and-a-half days.

There are bloody Xenoforms running amok in our system! :mad: I recommend blasting! :mad:

FYI they are NOT coming from the jump point to Ross 248. We have a colony task force on that heading, already past them, which made no contact with them.

Could be an intra-system jump. But it's probably a hitherto unsuspected link between widdershins and spinward sides.

Where are they heading?

I've been absent for awhile. What happened to me?

You've been doing lots of scouting in a Grav-Survey ship. Found several systems. You've just finished scouting AD Leonis and are now headed into FL Virginis to search for jump points. Those systems are near where we encountered Charlie.

There are bloody Xenoforms running amok in our system! :mad: I recommend blasting! :mad:

I would much prefer to delay a war until our Carriers are launched. If possible, until our Command-and-Control ships are launched. Relations with Charlie about +160 now.

Could be an intra-system jump. But it's probably a hitherto unsuspected link between widdershins and spinward sides.

Where are they heading?

Outward. From the Asteroid Belt out towards Jupiter's orbit. Not headed directly for anything that we can see. Headed approximately towards the jump to Procyon and Dravar XV. Our entire fleet will be appearing in that jump point before they can reach it, though.

It's unlikely that they came directly from the Ross 248 jump point... we have a colony expedition headed out that way, which is a long way past them (nearly to the Ross 248 jump point) and it is equipped with Thermal sensors and spotted nothing along its route. They have just now been spotted much closer to the sun (closer than our colony expedition, I mean). It's possible that they've been lying doggo in the Asteroids with their engines off for some time, and were only spotted now when they came up to full power. Hard to say. The fleet will be back quite soon, anyway.

Charlie ships have boosted speed to 4735 km/sec and have swung around and headed directly for Earth. Course 131 degrees takes them right down our throats. They are about three days out. The fleet will be back in two days, but will be starting from the Procyon jump point near Saturn's orbit. All Military forces being brought to high alert. Charlies still show as neutral (not hostile) on our displays.

EDIT: eight hours later

Now six Charlie ships in two formations, running parallel. Still holding course for Earth.

Formation #1: one Conqueror and two Tapi
Formation #2: one Aung Zay Ya and two Nowrat

All ships running at 4736 km/sec course 131 degrees.

Last edited: