Ad Astra! ... an Aurora Forum Game, run by blue emu

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
<<< BEGIN RECORDING >>>

PERSONAL LOG, Colonel Joker, 10th Mobile Btn.

Finally arrived on Dravar, the first habitable hellhole outside our own star system. All the reports haven't done this planet justice: it's a dismal place, naturally hostile to life. I bet the bright-eyed first colonists were a bit surprised when their initial habitability estimates turned out to be woefully optimistic. It's cold enough to freeze spit before it hits the ground, if you're dumb enough to venture out of your survival suit. The Tenth has been drilling for months in preparation for our babysitting operation - assigned to guard a bunch of techs and bleeding-heart alien researchers while they examine some centuries-old garbage heap. Huh, if mankind is going to conquer this galaxy, it's going to be at the end of a bayonet, not drooling over some petrified alien turds. But I do as I'm ordered, and who knows what we may find in these alien artefacts if and when we actually crack them open - could be all our maneuvers back on Earth might come in handy after all, if the rumors of ancient killer robot bogeymen prove true. We'll just have to wait and see... Looks like we'll be on this snowball for some time.

<<< RECORDING ENDS >>>

Dravar XV now has a NORAD missile base.

... unfortunately, I hit a series of game-bugs (with pop-up error alerts) while trying to assemble it... and all the pre-fab components disappeared! :mad: So I used Space-Master mode to simply PLACE the assembled base there.

It seems to be armed with first-generation missiles... but we'll ship some of the new ones out to it once our fleet is relieved of the duty of watching Charlie set up that Gate.

... unfortunately, I hit a series of game-bugs (with pop-up error alerts) while trying to assemble it... and all the pre-fab components disappeared! :mad: So I used Space-Master mode to simply PLACE the assembled base there.
Perfectly reasonable.
It seems to be armed with first-generation missiles... but we'll ship some of the new ones out to it once our fleet is relieved of the duty of watching Charlie set up that Gate.

Why not use a civilian cargo ship?

Charlie has finished assembling the Gate at the Sol => Ross 248 jump point, and has moved over to the Sol => Procyon jump point. This one will connect Earth with our colony at Draver XV. Nice of him to do all this work on our behalf.

I think we can recall the fleet and use it to ship some new-model missiles out to Dravar XV, to replace the old-style missiles currently mounted in the NORAD missile base there. We really should build a Tender or two when we get the chance... and the money...

Shouldn't we be worried that they seem to know where our colonies are? It could be a trade rotue or a highway for their fleets.

Charlie has finished assembling the Gate at the Sol => Ross 248 jump point, and has moved over to the Sol => Procyon jump point. This one will connect Earth with our colony at Draver XV. Nice of him to do all this work on our behalf.

I think we can recall the fleet and use it to ship some new-model missiles out to Dravar XV, to replace the old-style missiles currently mounted in the NORAD missile base there. We really should build a Tender or two when we get the chance... and the money...

And this should state that they want to trade with us.. Think if we had tried to blew them apart? Even if the won, we would have suffered significant losses because we didn't wait for them to take the initiative.

The Grav-survey of the Struve 2398 system is complete... there are a total of NINE jump points leading to-and-from that star system.

G_105_Nexus.jpg

We will have to start calling it "The Nexus". Four of the systems in that cluster have habitable planets. Looks like a nice place to set up a few colonies.

And this should state that they want to trade with us..
... or invade us. If they've left the Jump-drives off of their warship designs, they can cram on a lot more in the way of engines, weapons, shields and fire control... Jump drives are very massive. But then they would need Jump Gates in order to invade...

Well just hope that Charlies don't plan so far to the future.

And yes, we should indeed put a claim to the 'Nexus' as that system is called.

If they intended to invade, would they just have done so and built that jump gate after they conquered the system.. To me it seems that their hidden points are higher than ours.

... or invade us. If they've left the Jump-drives off of their warship designs, they can cram on a lot more in the way of engines, weapons, shields and fire control... Jump drives are very massive. But then they would need Jump Gates in order to invade...

By Emu, think of the possibilities sir! We can do just that ourselves!

Rear Admiral Arjyla has taken the Battle Fleet back into space and headed for our colony on Dravar XV, carrying a load of 100 new-model size-2 Point Defense Missiles and 40 new-model size-8 Ship-killers for the NORAD Missile Base on Dravar XV, which is currently equipped with rather obsolescent first-generation missiles. One Cruiser and one Destroyer are still carrying their regular combat loads, while the other three Cruisers and four Destroyers have off-loaded half of their usual load-out in order to make room in their magazines for the missile shipment to Dravar XV.

... we really must design and build a Tender as soon as we can afford to do so.

So... do we try to colonize The Nexus now, or wait until we've finished digging up those alien ruins on Dravar XV and dealt with any Guardians that spawn? One crisis at a time, or rush our opportunities?

So... do we try to colonize The Nexus now, or wait until we've finished digging up those alien ruins on Dravar XV and dealt with any Guardians that spawn? One crisis at a time, or rush our opportunities?

Rush, sir! Fortune favours the bold, and the god helps those who help themselves! :mad: Colonize the nexus.

I say that we colonize this comet! This beutiful lump of stone with it's craters and ice almost killing me and those crazy "scientists". They said that I were crazy, but I'm not crazy they are the ones whose crazy!

For once, I agree wit Ärjylä, colonize!

And so am I. At least if it doesn´t affect the economy negative to much.
A new colony in the Nexus are also a good Survey base to explore the surrounding systems.