Ad Astra! ... an Aurora Forum Game, run by blue emu

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Letter to Editor of The Seattle Times,
Written August 3rd, 2027
Published Sunday, September 26th, 2027

As an auxiliary officer of the ESNA, I've seen firsthand the miraculous capabilities of Trans-Newtonian technology, [redacted], and our mighty navy made capable by it. But I feel it somehow necessary to remind my fellow man that these marvels have not yet had any practical military trial-by-fire, or more than a few years of R&D. Following first contact, a nail biting situation for us all, many of our political and military leaders have clamored for war on those who occupy our "rightful expansion". I vigorously urge restraint. The Charlies, however ugly they may be, have unknown technological capabilities. The following analogy applies well to the situation: In the same way that an English Ship-Of-The-Line centuries ago could easily destroy a Greek trireme of old, our warships may not even last seconds against the technology of the Charlies, even if we could return fire ineffectually.
We humans are smart, adaptable creatures who accept change easily when we see which way the wind is blowing. Given access to the exciting [redacted] find in the [redacted] system, we could improve our understanding of Trans-Newtonian warfare. But a destructive intersystem war today, or even, I'd say, within the next decade or two not only threatens our small and possibly relatively inferior navy, but the whole of our species. I humbly recommend to our leadership and the hawks in government a sizable reserve of navy vessels, other established human colonies, and many years of diplomatic actions and intelligence gathering before we even consider offensive actions against this unknown and entirely alien threat, if it even is a threat. War is rarely productive, unless you have a decisive advantage.
Lt.-Commander Arnold Kiwi Rimmer, ESNA

[letter ghost-written by Rimmer's 2nd in command, Lt. Kochanski]

Last edited:
We need a confirmation from Lord Emu regarding that.

Approved.

Here is an update on our current fleet builds (the current date is November 16, 2027).

We have four more scout craft under construction:
One Geologist due out March 8 next year, and three Astronomers due out October 28 next year.

We have five Troop Transports under construction:
Three non-jump Ventures due out May 25 next year, and two jump-capable Expeditions due out February 8th of the following year (2029).

We have two more Mayflower class Colony ships under construction, due out April 30 next year.

We have one slip retooling to produce a fifth Attitude CL-G, it will be ready to lay the keel on October 21 next year.

We have two slips expanding from 9,000 to 14,000 tons capacity, to be completed on December 4 of this year, after which they will start retooling to produce our Admiral class Command-and-Control ships.

We have three small 6,000-ton slips expanding to 11,000 tons. This is a long-term project, which will require about three years. On completion, they can start retooling for a new class of larger, more powerful Destroyers.

We have four slipways currently retooling to produce Light Carriers.
Three will be ready to lay down new keels on July 5th next year, and the fourth on November 3rd next year.

:MILITARY COMMLINK RELAY TO ALL OFFICERS LT. COMMANDER OR HIGHER:

--FLEET EXPANSION, PROMOTIONS AND NEW COMMISSIONS--

FLEET

Rear Admiral Arjyla (ESN Belligerent) (Training Fleet Commander)

TRAINING SQUADRON 1 - Red Dragons

Captain Billy-bob (ESN Defiant) (1 - Fleet 1nd Deputy Commander)
Captain Coinneach (ESN Procyon) (2 - Fleet 2nd Deputy Commander)
Captain Avernite (ESN Sol)
Acting Captain (Commodore) Thelonegunman (ESN Chimaera) (SPECIAL: 6 month commission as a Captain)

TRAINING SQUARDON 2 - Blue Dragons

Captain Ezdako (ESN Aggressive) (1 - Fleet 1nd Deputy Commander)
Captain Autonomous (ESN Totally Pissed Off) (2 - Fleet 2nd Deputy Commander)
Captain Schuermann (ESN Centaurus)
Captain Kiwi Rackham (ESN Sirius)

SCOUTS
Commander Hellvink (ESN Avernum)
Commander Velko (ESN Hutton)
Commander Lord Blekinge (ESN Thor)
Commander Polar Mongoose (ESN Lyell)
Commander Bjering (ESN Keppler)
Commander Chaos (ESN Ptolemy)
Commander von Sachsen (ESN Chandrasekhar)
Commander TheExecutor (ESN Gould)
Commander Trajan (ESN Agassiz)
Commander Stamasd (ESN Copernicus)
Commander the_hdk Dorieus (ESN von Haast)

FIGHTER COMMAND
Captain Felix Sylvetris (Nellis AFB)
Captain Konstantin Shepherdovsky (Other AFB)
Squadron Leader Theusje (Wildcats)
- Pilot Teep
- Pilot SA Avenger
- Pilot GrimPagan
- Pilot Boris ze Spider
- Pilot Matija
- Pilot Cromelex
Squadron Leader Raczynski (The Cossacks)
- Pilot BwenGun
- Pilot Morrel8
- Pilot Galleblaere
- Pilot Raaritsgodzilla
- Pilot Dublish
- Pilot Nabobalis

TRAINING THE FLEET

The fleet will remain acting as a single force, however for opposing force combat manouver practicing, it will be divided into two different squadrons where captains take turns in commanding the group. This way we drill our officers for the eventual expansion of the fleet. Promotions and transfers are considered in effect unless specifically challenged. Challenging a transfer is not guaranteed to change the HQ decision.

In the name of Emu, the high command would like to extend its congratulations to the hard working and professional officer corps of the space fleet. Ranks updated.

High command, SOL
-HQ OUT-

Last edited:
Brigadier Hyme has been PULLED from the diplomatic mission and is replaced with Colonel Lurkenius.

Brigadier Hyme has been placed in command of the Marine component of the space fleet, called Zeta Expeditionary Recon Group (ZERG). They will be the first to come and first to go. Hyme's staff will include Colonel Jolt (Heavy Assault brigade) and Julius Strange (Mobile Infantry). The first assignment of ZERG will be the procyon dig defense.

ZERG Organization:

Brigadier Hyme (HQ Brigade)
- Colonel Jolt (Heavy Assault Brigade/s)
- Julius Strange (Mobile Infantry Brigade/s)
It will be an honor.

I am honored to be promoted to command of a space station. I will serve Terra to my fullest.

As I understand the career-path, an AFB command is often a step towards a later Carrier command, if you can diversify your career by taking over a ship at some point.

So, what's my character's rank outside of being Director of Intelligence? Lieutenant, or whatever the lowest is?

Commander. One rank up. Intel bonus +30%

============ =========== ===========

We have completed Tractor Beam research, and have designed a Hercules class jump-capable Fleet Tug. The drydock that has been producing Mayflower Colony Ships is now retooling to produce two Hercules. The retooling will be complete, and the keels laid, in August of this coming year. When the vessels are launched, that will give us the ability to drag defensive installations (Missile Bases, Fighter Bases, Radar bases) out into other star systems... such as Dravar XV (to protect our colony) or Ross 248 (to cover our flank vs the Charlies).

============= ============ ============

The Astronomer class Grav-Survey vessel ESN Ptolomy under Commander Chaos has completed her overhaul and has been dispatched to Widdershins to investigate the previously-discovered but unexplored jump point in the AD Leonis system.

============= ============ =============

The 9,000-ton dockyard has finished expanding to 14,000 tons, and is now retooling to build our 14,000-ton Admiral class Command and Control ship. The retooling alone will require 18 months :(

======= ========== ========== ===========

December 10th 2027. Relations with Charlie now over +110. Still no agreement.

============== ============= ============

Colonel Cleomenes gains another +5% Diplomacy rating, increasing the total effectiveness of our Alien Contact Team to +110%.

Last edited:
MSG ESN Ptolomy @ Gliese 408 to Fleet Ops Survey
New AD Leonis jump point leads to Gliese 408
Red Dwarf M3-V
One super jovian planet
No other objects in system
Will map this system for jump points
- Cmdr Chaos out
MSG ends XXXXX

I'm pretty happy to start as a lowly pilot. It means I can work my way to the top with my skillz!

To: Rear Admiral Arjyla
CC: Captain Edzako

Let me take this opportunity to express my delight at the honour of promotion and being placed in command of the ESN Sirius. The ship will soon be made ready to carry out its duty in defence of Earth, in anticipation of the inevitable conflict with the Charlies.

While the discovery of a Charlie ship in Ross 248 is disconcerting to say the least, there are certain facts that must be acertained. This ship class appears to have the same thermal signature as one of the two classes previously spotted in Groombridge 34 - indeed it may be the same ship. On both occaisions it did not respond to the presence of our ship, which combined with it's large signature suggests it is likely to be a civilian model, or at least unarmed yet carrying special equipment. What is unclear is its purpose.

On both occaisions the ship was identified near a jump point, yet did not immediately jump. I would suggest it is either a gravsurvey ship, or a jump gate construction ship. The latter is a worrying possibility, and we must act immediately to determine whether this is correct. If so, it means the Charlie are perhaps six months to a year away from finishing a direct link to our homeworld, a situation we cannot allow.

Meanwhile, we must make all haste with recovering any xenotech from Dravar XV. Any technology uncovered would be of tremendous advantage when war breaks out.

Regards,
Captain Rackham
ESN Sirius

Rear Admiral sir, may I request the honor of leading the Red Dragons in the first phase of maneuvers? I have a few new strategies Id like to try out that may let us get the drop on the Grooms.

I would also like to echo Captain Rackham's sentiments. Any advantage we get from the discovery is bound to give us an edge that we desperately need.

Meanwhile, we must make all haste with recovering any xenotech from Dravar XV. Any technology uncovered would be of tremendous advantage when war breaks out.

With our Troop Transports under construction and our Fleet Tugs tooling up, the logistics situation is improving rapidly... all we need is to buy ourselves another two or three years. Then we will be able to freely deploy our Ground Troops and our Defense Bases anywhere in Known Space.

Requesting a sitrep on ESN Hutton!

Roger that. What is the next mission?

I want a few (two or three) of the Grav-scouts to feel out Charlie's position by exploring the suns near the Ross 248 and Groombridge systems... looking for a back-door in or for the edges of his position; while most of the Grav-scouts search for habitable worlds in the opposite direction, where Charlie can't interfere. The Geo-scouts will concentrate on the end of Known Space furthest away from Charlie.

The End of Known Space sounds good. :p