Ad Astra! ... an Aurora Forum Game, run by blue emu

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I hope diplomacy is successful.

As after the incident that happen to billy bob it is very sad to see so much of our potential colonization targets are located so that a loss of Ross 248 would cut them of from home.

I believe it would be great to find more suitable planets to the "west". Kepler and crew would be happy to scout any of the "western" systems.

The way I understand it, Procyon could easily be another link to Groombridge - this isn't a map of physical space, it's a network diagram. That's why the survey department must be a significant priority, there is no "east" or "west" in the sense that that's the only way the Charlies can come from.

Unless the map indicates the layout of parts of space we don't know about?

I hope diplomacy is successful.

As after the incident that happen to billy bob it is very sad to see so much of our potential colonization targets are located so that a loss of Ross 248 would cut them of from home.

I believe it would be great to find more suitable planets to the "west". Kepler and crew would be happy to scout any of the "western" systems.

As there are only two exits from Sol might I suggest the usage of Procyonen and Rossian as the ways of describing the directions?

So can I get transferred to navy pending a war, or do my skills only allow me to be a geology scout?

You can certainly have a warship when one comes off the ways. The first new warships will be ready later this year.

As there are only two exits from Sol might I suggest the usage of Procyonen and Rossian as the ways of describing the directions?

Since the Galaxy is rotating counter-clockwise, "spinward" and "widdershins" also works. "Spinward" is "East", and "Widdershins" is "West". "North" is "Hubward" (the hub of the Galaxy lies in that direction), while "South" is "Rimward" (for obvious reasons).

..............Hubward
Widdershins.......Spinward
..............Rimward

Last edited:
You can certainly have a warship when one comes off the ways. The first new warships will be ready later this year.

Just wasnt sure if my skills would be capable of switching over. Ive only been around 2 years and already geo'd a few planets, moons, asteroids, and survived our first interplanetary incident. My girl would be proud of me.

What exactly were colonization possibilities in Procyon again? 1 habitable Planet?

Yes... about as habitable as Mars. I would have colonized it already, but we are waiting to dig up those Precursor artifacts. That's the world.

Let's not do anything rash guys.
A non-aggression treaty would go a long way to preventing such occurances from happening again.
Someone hacked Lone Gunman's account.
That said, it would take several years before Blue Emu could send such a fleet to Groombridge. Nothing rash.

I think I'd rather keep you in Ross 248. It would be nice to know if the Charlies head towards Earth.
Do they know where Earth is? Did any of their ship entered Ross 248 space? If not, it means it would take them some time before they find the right jump point to Earth, gaining us valuable time in case of war.

I'd rather go for building a sizable fleet, keeping it in Ross 248's side of the jump point, the sending a tiny scout to follow on with the currently.abordet mission, and see if anything happens.
Or maybe send the fleet, keep it close to the jump point, but in view of Charlie's view, then send a scouting mission further?
Still, it would be interesting to keep relations with the Charlies rising until the fleet is ready, and see if we can get friendly with them, at least get no hostile reaction if a puny little ship of ours cross the jump point.

Yes... about as habitable as Mars. I would have colonized it already, but we are waiting to dig up those Precursor artifacts. That's the world.
Oh yes. Digging first, just to make sure there aren't giant robots on the ground read to blast away any puny colonies we would put there?
Annoying, because Procyon is clearly the best spot to begin expansion outside our solar system, Ross being exposed to visiting Charlies.
Hopefully, the digging can begin soon :eek:

BTW, just thought of something: any chance that their bigger ship at jump point was actually building a jump gate - with their ships possibly as yet unable to use jump drive?

G_024_GalMap.jpg

This progresion would seem to suggest the "map" is at least partially dynamic, enough to not reveal the number of jump points until you've explored them. It's not certain whether it's dynamic enough that the whole map can change enough to have Procyon an Groombridge link..

BTW, just thought of something: any chance that their bigger ship at jump point was actually building a jump gate - with their ships possibly as yet unable to use jump drive?

Or they build a wormhole to Earth

Signs_6.jpg

MSG ESN Thor @ Struve 2398 to Fleet Ops Survey
New jump point found in Struve 2398 system
Coord 1.36 b-km bearing 60 degrees from Struve 2398 => Ross 248 jump point
Will investigate unless recalled
- Cmdr Blekinge out
MSG ends XXXXX

Or they build a wormhole to Earth
I don't think you can do that, can you?
The extra-galactic Big Baddies can and do it often, I read, but Blue Emu wisely disabled them. We've already got Reapers in Mass Effect after all.

MSG ESN Thor @ V1581 Cygni to Fleet Ops Survey
New Struve 2398 jump point leads to V1581 Cygni
Loose double star both Red Dwarfs M5-V and M6-V
Two planets one habitable one marginally habitable
No Moons twenty two asteroids
Returning to Struve 2398 to continue mapping
- Cmdr Blekinge out
MSG ends XXXXX

Last edited:
How long until we can tug PDCs to defend Sols two JPs?
As the possibly hostile Aliens are most likely technologically superior in every regard, I suggest we build additional fighters and place them right on the JPs, using refueling if necessary. Our spitfires have a high first strike damage that is unlikely to miss an enemy that just jumped through the gate. Given enough fighters, they might be able to take down or cripple otherwise superior vessels.
Tactical recommendation: Leave active sensors of those JP fighters on at all times, so as to reduce reaction times.

-edit-
We might even want to consider building specialized short-range-high-damage missiles for that job.

How long until we can tug PDCs to defend Sols two JPs?
As the possibly hostile Aliens are most likely technologically superior in every regard, I suggest we build additional fighters and place them right on the JPs, using refueling if necessary. Our spitfires have a high first strike damage that is unlikely to miss an enemy that just jumped through the gate. Given enough fighters, they might be able to take down or cripple otherwise superior vessels.
Tactical recommendation: Leave active sensors of those JP fighters on at all times, so as to reduce reaction times.

-edit-
We might even want to consider building specialized short-range-high-damage missiles for that job.

We are researching Tractor Beams now. Once it's done, we design a Tug, Wait for a slip to come free... we'll be building Troop Transports, Carriers, etc... tool it up, and build the ship. Probably three to five years.

How do we place Fighters at the Jump Points? They can only reach as far as Mars when it's in opposition. The Jump Points are at least ten times that far away.

Put them in a fleet with some bigger vessels with large tanks and equalize fuel when they run out.

We simply can`t compete with them right now and thus shouldn`t offend them. If we can improve our relations via diplomacy, then we should desperately do that. Always bow to the guy with the biggest stick. I`d like to call an event from May 2011 to mind, and I think, we don`t want to end that way.

Yep, World War III was a rough affair.

Put them in a fleet with some bigger vessels with large tanks and equalize fuel when they run out.

mmmmm... not a very satisfactory solution, though.

How's this for a Command/Point Defense ship?

Admiral class Command Ship 13,900 tons 1423 Crew 3027.6 BP TCS 278 TH 380 EM 0
2733 km/s JR 3-50 Armour 1-51 Shields 0-0 Sensors 18/1/0/0 Damage Control Rating 17 PPV 15
Annual Failure Rate: 90% IFR: 1.3% Maint Capacity 2314 MSP Max Repair 1406 MSP Est Time: 1.41 Years
Flag Bridge Magazine 335

J15000(3-50) Military Jump Drive Max Ship Size 15000 tons Distance 50k km Squadron Size 3
Nuclear Pulse Engine E8 (19) Power 40 Fuel Use 80% Signature 20 Armour 0 Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 300,000 Litres Range 48.5 billion km (205 days at full power)

Size 1 Missile Launcher (15) Missile Size 1 Rate of Fire 10
PD Missile Fire Control FC4-R1 (5) Range 4.3m km Resolution 1
Size 1a Anti-missile Missile (335) Speed: 20,800 km/s End: 5.4m Range: 6.7m km WH: 1 Size: 1 TH: 138 / 83 / 41

Active Search Sensor MR6-R1 (1) GPS 108 Range 6.5m km Resolution 1
Active Search Sensor MR50-R100 (1) GPS 8400 Range 50.4m km Resolution 100
Thermal Sensor TH3-18 (1) Sensitivity 18 Detect Sig Strength 1000: 18m km

Missile to hit chances are vs targets moving at 3000 km/s, 5000 km/s and 10,000 km/s

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes