Ad Astra! ... an Aurora Forum Game, run by blue emu

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Unfortunately, there's just nowhere to hide near the jump point. It's a tough problem. It's going to be years... literally, years... before we are ready to take these clowns on. We can't hold ourselves in a state of readiness for years, waiting for something that probably isn't going to happen... after all, they've been sitting at that jump point for half a year, and haven't come through it. It looks like they either CAN'T come through it (no jump drive) or are under orders to hold the Groombridge system.

You'll be better employed just getting back to work... finish mapping the Ross 248 system before you leave it, then check out the adjacent systems. If they're adjacent to Ross 248, they might be adjacent to Groombridge, or to wherever these aliens come from. We need to know just how many systems these guys are staking out and claiming.

Well can I at least request to be on one of the ships that kicks these sorry sons of bitches asses back to the primordial hole they came from. I just got my baby girl a horse that needs a new brush you know. I understand Im a geologist, but I can still aim a missile like the best of em.

The same as usual. One is gone for five minutes, and the Hawks screw it up. Nearly.

My dear Officers. We all knew from the start, that Charlie is more powerful than we are, but nevertheless we try to piss them off. It`s like standing in front of Mike Tyson or Vitali Klitschko and insulting their mother and then complain, that one got beaten up.

We simply can`t compete with them right now and thus shouldn`t offend them. If we can improve our relations via diplomacy, then we should desperately do that. Always bow to the guy with the biggest stick. I`d like to call an event from May 2011 to mind, and I think, we don`t want to end that way.

The same as usual. One is gone for five minutes, and the Hawks screw it up. Nearly.

My dear Officers. We all knew from the start, that Charlie is more powerful than we are, but nevertheless we try to piss them off. It`s like standing in front of Mike Tyson or Vitali Klitschko and insulting their mother and then complain, that one got beaten up.

We simply can`t compete with them and shouldn`t offend them. If we can improve our relations via diplomacy, then we should desperately do that. Always bow to the guy with the biggest stick.

I`d like to call an event from May 2011 to mind, and I think, we don`t want to end that way.

Humanity bows to no species.

Bowing is fine. When you bow, you can hide both the dagger in your hand and the murderous intent in your eyes.

You try and bow to someone that attempted to skewer you with a sword with you looking straight at them. Not being able to see the next blow seems to be more of a danger than trying to be subservient.

You try and bow to someone that attempted to skewer you with a sword with you looking straight at them. Not being able to see the next blow seems to be more of a danger than trying to be subservient.

Wait. I've been saying to blow the aliens out of the water and steal their tech since day 1. The message isn't lets bear our breast to our new bosom friend, but rather, let's deceive them allow ourselves to get the upper hand to skewer them and steal their tech.

I vote the middle route. Prepare for war, but only once the carriers are done. In the mean time, let the diplomats talk, we might just get lucky and make them our friends. When the time comes we can send a scout in to make sure they are hostile. Or perhaps a sensor bouy. Speaking of which we should mine the jump point a bit while our navy is built (if nothing else it can be a early warning if they jump in.)

Was it the 2100 thermal sip that chased you? Because that's still seven times bigger than your carrier design, which is still just a blueprint for the short term.

I advocated finding out what they had. We did. It was scary. Now we do our best not to stir things up to much, while hoping the alien ruins have some very nice xenotech.

Was it the 2100 thermal sip that chased you? Because that's still seven times bigger than your carrier design, which is still just a blueprint for the short term.

I advocated finding out what they had. We did. It was scary. Now we do our best not to stir things up to much, while hoping the alien ruins have some very nice xenotech.

They had a 2100 and a near 1500. Also the carrier is 1500, but it has 11 fighters going with it. Then the new flet of cruisers as well. In 3 years time I hope to be painting them with target locked.

They had a 2100 and a near 1500. Also the carrier is 1500, but it has 11 fighters going with it. Then the new flet of cruisers as well. In 3 years time I hope to be painting them with target locked.

2100 thermal. The new carriers wil be about 300 thermal, I seem to recall the cruisers being about 360. It's an indicator of how much power/tech they have in the design.

Edit: Thanks for the answer. 1500 is still much bigger than what we have, even if we assume the 2100 was a harmless freighter/not so harmless gate builder.

Here's my take on the situation:

In view of the situation that developed... the Charlie DD chasing our unarmed ship back and forth and painting it with active sensors... Billy Bob did the only sensible thing. He got the hell out of there, immediately. It's not a matter of saving his skin, or saving his crew of 503 men... Scouts are expendable, and they knew the job was dangerous when they took it.

By running, he prevented the Charlies from committing an act of war. He stopped the war from breaking out, at least for the moment.

To be perfectly honest, after that little farce in the Groombridge system, I fully expect to end up at war with these clowns. It's almost inevitable. But not just yet. Not until we've got a decent fleet built, and a way to move our troops and defensive installations around.

Hey Emu! I was wondering if I could get a transfer from the fighter pilots to one of the Heavy Assault battalions? Are the Xenos going to attack or what?

Maybe you should wait until we have a Troop Transport or two built. Right now, our Marines are stuck on Earth. At least your fighter has a combat range of a few dozen million miles.

On the diplomatic ship headed homewards

I didn't know that it was a male!

Who is going to tell Ärjylä that he is not going to get hi's war?

I suspect that he WILL get his war. I just want to make sure that he gets his new ships and his new missiles first.

EDIT: update on Known Space:

G_065_Galmap.jpg

The systems with red rims have not yet been fully explored for jump points. The systems without red rims are completely explored... at least with respect to jump-point connections

Notice... of the five systems directly connected to Sol, only TWO actually lead anywhere. The other three are dead ends.

Last edited:
I suspect that he WILL get his war. I just want to make sure that he gets his new ships and his new missiles first.

G_065_Galmap.jpg

The systems with red rims have not yet been fully explored for jump points. The systems without red rims are completely explored... at least with respect to jump-point connections

Notice... of the five systems directly connected to Sol, only TWO actually lead anywhere. The other three are dead ends.

Yeah, but I dont think he knows that.

So can I get transferred to navy pending a war, or do my skills only allow me to be a geology scout?

G_065_Galmap.jpg

So we`re going to shut down the Jumpgate to Groombridge and expand into other directions? The Logistics Department approves this. Procyon and Struve are interesting too.