Ad Astra! ... an Aurora Forum Game, run by blue emu

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
MSG ESN Copernicus @ Ross 248 to Fleet Ops Survey
New jump point found in Ross 248 system
Coord 568 m-km bearing 329 degrees from Ross 248 => Sol jump point
Will investigate unless recalled
cc ESN Ptolomy in-sys
- Commander Schwuermann out
MSG ends XXXXX

G_043_RossJump.jpg

I say we should construct the permanent jump gate and enact the asteroid mining ops if they do not interfere or slow down the military expansion. :mad:

MSG ESN Copernicus @ Groombridge 34 to Fleet Ops Survey
New Ross 248 jump point leads to Groombridge 34 system.
Two suns A + B both Red Dwarves
Groombridge 34-A has three rpt three habitable planets.
ESN Ptolomy remains in Ross 248 system
Intend to explore Groombridge 34 system instead of returning Ross 248
System characterization to follow later
Urgently advise you dispatch Geo-Survey vessel to Groombridge 34
MSG ends XXXXX

Last edited:
Three habitable planets? What's the bet there's no ore, to make a nice counterpoint to Epsilon Eridani? That, or evil aliens.

I'm up for virtually anything emu. Smack Lurkenius in what ever field you feel like.

And awesome game, really. Amazing.

Considering how the jump points connect, ESN von Haast at Epsilon Eridani is the closest.

MSG Fleet Ops Survey to ESN von Haast @ Epsilon Eridani
Abandon current op and return Sol system
Jump to Ross 248 and commandeer fuel from ESN Ptolomy
Leave him enough fuel to return home
Proceed to Groombridge 34 and characterize system
Begin with habitable zone around 34-A
Expedite.
MSG ends XXXXX

I'm up for virtually anything emu. Smack Lurkenius in what ever field you feel like.

And awesome game, really. Amazing.

You can be a Grav-Survey scout looking for new worlds, a Geo-Survey scout exploring new systems for resources, a Fighter pilot, a pilot of a Naval Auxiliary (Tanker, Freighter, etc), a Scientist, a Defense Base commander, or a Staff Officer. Any favorites?

MSG ESN von Haast @ Epsilon Eridani to Fleet Ops Survey
Proceding as advised to Groombridge 34 via Sol and Ross 248
Will rendezvous with ESN Ptolemy at point to be advised
Preference either Groombridge 34 jump point or Sol jump point in Ross 248
-Commander Rackham out
MSG ends XXXXX

MSG ESN Copernicus @ Groombridge 34 to Fleet Ops Survey
New Ross 248 jump point leads to Groombridge 34 system.
Two suns A + B both Red Dwarves
Groombridge 34-A has three rpt three habitable planets.
ESN Ptolomy remains in Ross 248 system
Intend to explore Groombridge 34 system instead of returning Ross 248
System characterization to follow later
Urgently advise you dispatch Geo-Survey vessel to Groombridge 34
MSG ends XXXXX

Sir, I would like to request to be on the first Geo-Survey ship into the system if able.

MSG Fleet Ops Survey to ESN Ptolomy @ Ross 248
Abandon current op and proceed to Ross 248 => Sol jump point
Take station on Ross 248 side of the jump point and await ESN von Haast
Transfer 90% of your fuel to him when he arrives
Then return Sol system for refueling and resume your op
cc ESN von Haast @ Epsilon Eridani
- Fleet Ops Survey out
MSG ends XXXXX

Sir, I would like to request to be on the first Geo-Survey ship into the system if able.

Sorry... Rackham is considerably closer.

Time is of the essense; these worlds may already be inhabited, and we need a Geo-survey ship to scan them from close orbit. You can join Rackham in the system to speed up the search, though.

MSG Fleet Ops Survey to ESN Agassiz @ Wolf 359
Abandon current Op and return Sol system
Rendezvous with Tanker now en-route to Sol => Ross 248 jump point
Refuel and proceed through Ross 248 to Groombridge 34 system
Assist ESN von Haast to characterize system
Expedite.
- Fleet Ops Survey out
MSG ends XXXXX

IanDrury said:
Can the readers perhaps get an update about how the economy is doing?
Last bench-mark was a month ago, with the monthly deficit down by nearly 2/3rds. Still building more Financial Centers.

August 9th - four new Scout Ships completed: one Geo-Survey and three Grav-Survey vessels. Anyone want a transfer to the Survey service?

Have we seen the design and specs of your Scout ships? If not I would like to please. :)

Last bench-mark was a month ago, with the monthly deficit down by nearly 2/3rds. Still building more Financial Centers.

I am having trouble wrapping my head around the financial system of the game. Is there anywhere to get financial info besides the Wealth/Trade screen? I am not getting much from that. I am also curious how much things cost in Spacebucks; I am sure it tells you somewhere but I have not found it yet.

I ask because this is directly related to things happening here, but if it would turn into a long discussion feel free to answer in the other thread. :

Sorry... Rackham is considerably closer.

Time is of the essense; these worlds may already be inhabited, and we need a Geo-survey ship to scan them from close orbit. You can join Rackham in the system to speed up the search, though.

MSG Fleet Ops Survey to ESN Agassiz @ Wolf 359
Abandon current Op and return Sol system
Rendezvous with Tanker now en-route to Sol => Ross 248 jump point
Refuel and proceed through Ross 248 to Groombridge 34 system
Assist ESN von Haast to characterize system
Expedite.
- Fleet Ops Survey out
MSG ends XXXXX

Sir yes sir! And a suggestion. Could we make Wolf 359 the production centerpoint for our Empire? Construction slips, major defensive works, and so on. A fallback point in case Earth falls into the hands of a foe we do not expect?

Well... THAT little discovery set off quite a flurry of sub-space radio signals...

Have we seen the design and specs of your Scout ships? If not I would like to please. :)

Post #85 on page 5.

I am having trouble wrapping my head around the financial system of the game. Is there anywhere to get financial info besides the Wealth/Trade screen? I am not getting much from that. I am also curious how much things cost in Spacebucks; I am sure it tells you somewhere but I have not found it yet.

Nope. The game is horrible at giving financial info. In order to see whether I'm making or losing money... I have to wait and see whether I make or lose money. It sucks.

The cost of items in space-bucks is identical to their cost in minerals.

Sir yes sir! And a suggestion. Could we make Wolf 359 the production centerpoint for our Empire? Construction slips, major defensive works, and so on. A fallback point in case Earth falls into the hands of a foe we do not expect?

Unfortunately, there's nowhere in the system that we can build stuff. No habitable planets. We'll need to develop our space-station tech a lot further before we can industrialize that system.

Post #85 on page 5.

Oh, I see I misread the post. I thought you had a seperate class of Scout ships but you were describing the Geo and Grav ships as Scouts.

Nope. The game is horrible at giving financial info. In order to see whether I'm making or losing money... I have to wait and see whether I make or lose money. It sucks.

The cost of items in space-bucks is identical to their cost in minerals.

I guess that is good, since I wasn't missing something but yep it is pretty hard to keep track of. I had it rattling around in the back of my brain that that is how costs work as I was asking but thanks for the confirmation.

Oh, I see I misread the post. I thought you had a seperate class of Scout ships but you were describing the Geo and Grav ships as Scouts.

Yes... I equipped both Geo and Grav ships with Passive Thermal sensors, so that they can scan planets for life-forms. Then (later) I realized that Grav-Survey ships will normally be operating a long way from planets, and it's only the Geo-Survey ships that will get any real use out of those PT sensors. Oh, well...

Later on, when we tech up a bit and components are more compact, I'm going to build a class of general-purpose multi-role scouts.

Unfortunately, there's nowhere in the system that we can build stuff. No habitable planets. We'll need to develop our space-station tech a lot further before we can industrialize that system.

Hmmm. Well... we will get there.

We've got another decision to make, too... I've made quite a bit of progress getting the budget under control. It's close to balanced, although of course, that means slowing down on expansion and construction.

In view of this unexpected discovery of THREE habitable planets only two jumps from Earth... do we just say "to hell with the budget" and go into deficit financing in order to exploit this new opportunity as quickly as possible? Or do we stick to a strict budget and exploit the opportunity more slowly?... perhaps much more slowly.

I ask, nay DEMAND that you build five roptating space stations, blow up the first three, have the fourth have counter-rotating sections, and have it spirited away. I also want to be in command of the fifth, all alone in the night.

To hell with budget, once our new colonies get online, we can transform Earth into a cash cow.