Ad Astra! ... an Aurora Forum Game, run by blue emu

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Meh, no robbery, just some cash flowing into my pocket. Wait, I shouldn't tell you that? Oh bugger...

... one cannot expect to do miracles without breaking eggs...

I believe the expression is: "You can't make an omelet without breaking legs!"

Hey it's difficult for me to improve on orbital stations designs, when all I've got is 1 measly lab in which I keep seeing Discovery Channel's documentaries about MIR and the former International Space Station and one scale model made out of toothpicks...
Meanwhile my colleague Bos gets several labs to explode. I need lavish funding for my research too!

You team has been given ten labs, the Orbital Habitat project has been completed successfully, and you have started preliminary work on a new project.

Unfortunately, Orbital Habitats at our current tech level turn out to be prohibitively large... an Orbital Space Station containing only a single Habitat module (plus the usual crew quarters, bridge. engineering, etc) displaces over a quarter of a million tons. FYI, our very largest slipway is 98,000 tons.

Can't you carry it up there in several runs and assemble in orbit ?

I'll check... not sure how I'd assemble it with no Factories in orbit.

@Syber : As an expert in Logistics and Ground Combat Applications, your new research project is "Troop Transport Bay", which would allow us to build ships to shuttle our Ground Troops from one planet or moon to another. This still won't give us the capabilty to make opposed combat drops... that will require Drop Pods in addition.

Since our Ground Combat capabilities are almost zero at the moment, I've given you ten of our forty labs right away, to get the project done ASAP.

My usual technique with research is to keep all eleven Scientists working all the time, since they improve their skills only if they are employed. Since I don't want to wait twenty years for any research to complete, that means that I assign one lab each to about two-thirds of the researchers, and split the remaining thirty-two labs between only three or four projects... so that we have about seven or eight projects just "idling along" on one lab, and three or four pushing forward at full speed. When a full-speed project completes, I usually give the successful researcher one lab again, put him or her to work on a new "idling" project, and transfer the remaining nine or so labs to a project that's just been idling along on one lab. That way, the researchers take turns at full funding and minimum funding.

You've been lucky enough to get full funding twice in a row, because we are behind in your specialty: Logistics and Ground Combat Applications, and trying to catch up.

August 9th - four new Scout Ships completed: one Geo-Survey and three Grav-Survey vessels. Anyone want a transfer to the Survey service?

If our survey team could have someone with better xeno stats, I wouldn't mind taking command of a ship again :D

We'll have to wait until the dig is over... I can't extract you from the team without dissolving it and losing our accumulated progress. I can reserve a Grav-Ship for you, though... give it to a non-player character for now and have him hand it over to you after the dig... we have three new ones to distribute.

We'll have to wait until the dig is over... I can't extract you from the team without dissolving it and losing our accumulated progress. I can reserve a Grav-Ship for you, though... give it to a non-player character for now and have him hand it over to you after the dig... we have three new ones to distribute.

Ah that seems sensible enough - did those Precursor ruins reveal anything of note yet, or have we moved on and I missed it in the sea of pages :eek:o

Ah that seems sensible enough - did those Precursor ruins reveal anything of note yet, or have we moved on and I missed it in the sea of pages :eek:o

Nope... we're all still waiting for the results. It's been more than a year...

I would be happy to command a Grav-Ship!

Commander Bjering has been appointed to command the Astronomer class Grav-Survey vessel ESN Kepler
Fleet Initiative 136, Survey +10%, Logistics +10%, Imaginative, Talented Musician.

G_041_Octavian.jpg

:( This is the fourth character that's fallen ill in the past year (two of them Player Characters). I hope this isn't some nasty alien plague...

Emu, is it possible for me to transfer to some ship?

Sure... only Freighters, Scoop-Mining Tankers, Geo-Survey Scouts and Grav-Survey Scouts are available at the moment. The Scouts are Navy, the others are Naval Auxiliaries.

EDIT:

G_042_Raczyn.jpg

Well, when that alien plague kills you all I will be safe on my comet! Haha! :D

Suspicious.
We might have found the source of the illness, if we can afford the loss in resources we should make preparations to nuke the problem from any orbit :p We might wait to see what happens to the puppy first.

=Back to work at the dig, since no-one would be crazy enough to nuke that.... yet=

Unless the plague is from the comet ice. Were the ill effects found before or after it was sighted? Because we all know what happens when you see one...

Because we all know what happens when you see one...

Ignore the peasant rabble!

EDIT: Commander Hellvink has made a couple of good Geological finds in the Epsilon Eridani system... including nearly ten million tons of ore at concentrations of 80% or 90%. Too bad there's no habitable planet in that system.