Ad Astra! ... an Aurora Forum Game, run by blue emu

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I like my traits as they fit the position perfectly. I also prefer to be the behind the scenes guy in RL so this posting fits me very well.

Short question: Why do things take so little time, in this game? It takes ships only days to fly through the entire solar system, millions of people are moved within a single month, planets are terraformed within a couple of years (according to the aurora FAQ webpage)... makes you wonder if the years and month are more of a fictional time-keeping unit, rather than the rather short intervals I'm used to. :)

Short question: Why do things take so little time, in this game? It takes ships only days to fly through the entire solar system, millions of people are moved within a single month, planets are terraformed within a couple of years (according to the aurora FAQ webpage)... makes you wonder if the years and month are more of a fictional time-keeping unit, rather than the rather short intervals I'm used to. :)

Very likely true. On the other hand, since the game needs to incorporate short time intervals (a few seconds per turn, during fleet battles), it might be tricky making things like journeys across the solar system, building up colonies into thriving worlds and terraforming planets take a realistic amount of time... you might as well remove them from the game entirely.

Don't long-term comets still take thousands of years to orbit the sun?

TheLoneGunman said:
Don't long-term comets still take thousands of years to orbit the sun?

In-game? Yes.

... and speaking of long-term comets...

@Taklagarn :

I've got a proposition for you. Take a look at this map of the Solar System.

G_025_Comet4.jpg

Notice, in the top right corner of the shot, a large comet headed inward. It's a long-period comet... it probably only passes through the Inner Solar System once per century or once per thousand years. At the moment, it's still outside the orbit of Saturn, but it's headed in to swing around the Sun and then head out again. It won't be back until after we're all long dead.

Here's the Assay Report:

G_026_Comet4assay.jpg

... it's even richer in terms of ore-concentration than the Martian mines.

15,518 tons of Neutronium at 100% concentration. Mars is only 70%.Earth is 20%.
14,046 tons of Sorium at 100%. Mars is 60%. Earth is 70%
12,446 tons of Duranium at 100%. Mars has none.
nearly 200,000 tons of Gallicite at 90%. Mars is 10%. Earth is 40%.
... and lots more.

Looks like a pretty nice haul... if we exploit it now. It's making one pass through the inner system, and then we won't see it again during our lifetimes.

I'm very tempted to send out as many of the Automatic Mines as we can spare and set them up on that comet... while it's still around. Then yank them all off it again as it heads back out toward the Oort Cloud.

The total tonnage is only in the tens of thousands... but we wouldn't have TIME to mine out more ore than that, anyway. It's going to LEAVE.

Would you like to be the Governor of a Comet?

Cant you somehow pull it into orbit?

Anyways, thats not a comet anymore, thats a dwarf planet

It's an "Oort Object". Like Pluto, except this one's going places. No, there's no in-game way to alter its orbit. We either exploit it or ignore it.

Idea: put a survey scanner pack on it, and presto, you have an early warning system should anyone jump in from beyond the Oort.

Idea: put a survey scanner pack on it, and presto, you have an early warning system should anyone jump in from beyond the Oort.

Good plan.

Operations please. As long as there is an officer that is capable. Thanks. I also hate you for bringing this game to my attention:)

Lieutenant-Commander Ccbasin is now Director of Operations at Fleet Ops HQ. Fleet Initiative 135, Survey +10%, Factory Production (useless in this role) +30%, Operations +20%, Inflexible and dogmatic, result-oriented, rude, wealthy family.

have you assigned me to anything blue emu? :p
Nope... I was waiting for you to pick a position off that list given in an earlier post.

I would love to be a governor of a comet, seems cool. But I hope I can become governor over a planet later, since they seems to be in their place longer... :) Oh, can you name the comet? Cause then I want it to be named "Comet of the Platypus"?

Last edited:
Can you post my traits as well?

I would love to be a governor of a comet, seems cool. But I hope I can become governor over a planet later, since they seems to be in their place longer... :)

I hope for your sake that you actually don´t have to govern from the comet itself. ;)

Thanks for doing the AAR! This looks rather intriguing and I think I'm going to downloading the game and giving it a try this weekend. It seems as though the complexity will provide a gratifying and infuriating experience!

The game does remind me a bit of the Starfire series of books by David Weber (I think Starfire was a board game, too). Is it possible to mine jump points and use them as defensive choke points?

Also, is Pluto considered a planet or something else in the game? The answer may determine whether I can play it with a good conscience. :D

Thanks for doing the AAR! This looks rather intriguing and I think I'm going to downloading the game and giving it a try this weekend. It seems as though the complexity will provide a gratifying and infuriating experience!

The game does remind me a bit of the Starfire series of books by David Weber (I think Starfire was a board game, too). Is it possible to mine jump points and use them as defensive choke points?

Also, is Pluto considered a planet or something else in the game? The answer may determine whether I can play it with a good conscience. :D

Pluto is in the planets list and has Charon as a moon.

I would love to be a governor of a comet, seems cool. But I hope I can become governor over a planet later, since they seems to be in their place longer... :) Oh, can you name the comet? Cause then I want it to be named "Comet of the Platypus"?

G_026_CometPus.jpg

When the Comet leaves, we'll find you another Governor job. There were only two dudes left with a Mining bonus to choose from, and both were +5... so you got the Admin 2 guy instead of the Admin 6 guy. A comet only requires Admin 0 or greater, and I might need the Admin 6 guy for something else. I've only got one.

Can you post my traits as well?

Crew Training 50, Fleet Initiative 179, Survey +30% (that's why you're Director of Surveys), Espionage +15%, courteous, modest.

Is it possible to mine jump points and use them as defensive choke points?

Mines are in the game, and so are Space Stations. You could set up a minefield in front of the Jump Point, with a few big armored, shielded, heavily armed space stations behind it. Hold your fleet just out of range behind that.

A little question, why is the Oort Cloud so dangerous?

It's not... but I don't want the damn comet leaving with my automated mines still aboard. They're friggin' EXPENSIVE.