Ad Astra! ... an Aurora Forum Game, run by blue emu

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
How does one do a get a geo survey team to work on earth for example as I cant seem to figure it out?

Could I request transfer to active duty in the fighter squadrons? There isnt really much demand for such a flawed character in the general staff, I would work better at the frontlines of expansion.

In theory, some aliens are neutral or even friendly. In practice, I've never met that sort. I always seem to meet the other sort.

Lots of openings left. We have two Space-Fighter Squadrons to fill out (ten positions still available in each), and I think at least one of the Naval Auxiliaries is still unclaimed... a Freighter or perhaps the Colony Ship. There are also one or two desk-job positions in the Fleet Ops HQ left (doesn't sound very exciting, but a fraction of your bonus is passed down to all the Naval personnel, so you have a small influence on every activity performed and every shot that's fired) and several Research Scientists still unclaimed.

Could it be that hostiles are more eager to expand than neutral or friendly races, and than makes encounters more likely?

Oh, but I take the position in the Fleet Ops HQ, someone has to make sure that all the nasty paper works are properly taken care of. (Just be sure to mention me sometimes ;))

Dwarf me, please.

I'll play anything, even a stormtrooper.

Actually, I don't really think it was a serious question.

How does one do a get a geo survey team to work on earth for example as I cant seem to figure it out?

Just form the team on Earth, and ignore it for a year or so. They'll work on Earth, since you didn't send them anywhere.

Could I request transfer to active duty in the fighter squadrons? There isnt really much demand for such a flawed character in the general staff, I would work better at the frontlines of expansion.

Done. Squadron #1, under Felix Silvestris.

G_021_Teep.jpg

Could it be that hostiles are more eager to expand than neutral or friendly races, and than makes encounters more likely?

Oh, but I take the position in the Fleet Ops HQ, someone has to make sure that all the nasty paper works are properly taken care of. (Just be sure to mention me sometimes ;))

You are now the Director of the Survey Department of Fleet Ops HQ. Both Geological and Jump-Point Surveys report to you. In the early years, Survey is both very common and very important.

Dwarf me, please.

I'll play anything, even a stormtrooper.

You are now a Naval Lieutenant-Commander, Fleet Initiative 181, Logistics +20%, from a poor family, uncaring, commanding one of our Naval Auxiliary Freighters supporting the Martian Colony. Would you care to name it?

Have you probed Uranus yet?

Isn't that a rather personal question?

EDIT: Jeeze... I'm gonna have to build some more Academys. With my current number, I get 15 new Officers joining the game each year. That's five every four months. In the first four months of play, 34 Paradoxians have claimed Officers. We've got lots left... but eventually we'll start running short.

Last edited:
If I were to become a fighter pilot would I later be able to transfer, in the fullness of time, to the Navy's command path and thus take control of a ship? If so I would quite like to become a fighter pilot.

If I were to become a fighter pilot would I later be able to transfer, in the fullness of time, to the Navy's command path and thus take control of a ship? If so I would quite like to become a fighter pilot.

1) Yes.
2) Done, Fighter #3 in Squadron #2 (Cossacks) under Konstantin Mikhailovsky

========= ========== ========= ========= ===========

Message for Lord Martin in Survey Ops:

MSG ESN Avernum @ Procyon to Fleet Ops
Jump point detected May 5 2025 very near Procyon VII
Coord 1.75 b-km 01 deg from planet
Will investigate unless recalled
cc to Cmdr Rackham ESN von Haast in-sys
- Cmdr Hellvink out
MSG ends XXXXX

:)

MSG Fleet Ops to ESN Avernum @ Procyon
Good job Commander
Proceed with caution
- Lord Martin @ Survey Ops out
MSG ends XXXXX

I've relayed those orders to Commander Hellvink. Just to put you in the picture as to what he meant by "very close" to our alien xeno-archeological dig site on Procyon VII, that unexplored jump point is only about twice as far from the planet as the one we have been using to transit from Sol to Procyon. A bit too close for comfort, since we have no idea where it leads or what's on the other side of it.

It makes sense that this inhabitable planet was actually settled eons ago, since it's close to a jump point.

Now, since my freighter is probably mostly there to bring supplies to colonies and bring back minerals, I suppose ESS Amalthea is quite an appropriate name.
Signed: the uncaring Gaius C. :p

MSG ESN Avernum @ AD Leonis to Fleet Ops
New jump point leads to AD Leonis system
Seven planets none habitable
One gas giant two rocky worlds four rockballs three moons 143 asteroids
No signs of life apparent
Returning to Procyon sys to continue mapping
- Cmdr Hellvink out
MSG ends XXXXX

G_023_ADLeonis.jpg

It makes sense that this inhabitable planet was actually settled eons ago, since it's close to a jump point.

Now, since my freighter is probably mostly there to bring supplies to colonies and bring back minerals, I suppose ESS Amalthea is quite an appropriate name.
Signed: the uncaring Gaius C. :p

All good except that it will be ESNA Amalthea. You're in the Navy, Mr GaiusC! NA = Naval Auxiliary.

of course the Avernum finds a jumppoint when I'm not commanding anymore... :p

:D Yeah, you arrived at the xeno-archeological site two weeks ago, and are hard at work alternately digging and looking nervously over your shoulder.

Here's a rough map of Known Space:

G_024_GalMap.jpg

... the directions and distances are completely arbitrary, not representational. Since we jump directly from one system to another without actually crossing any of the intervening space, it literally doesn't matter how far away a system is, or even which direction it is. The map is intended only to show tree-relationships between star systems... eg: we have to pass through the Procyon system in order to reach the AD Leonis system. In Naval terms, AD Leonis is "two jumps away" from Earth.

Last edited:
if you have something that breaks down a lot, find small stuffs, complains or nitpick all the time I guess you could name it after me *grins*
"so say we all"
(I might request change later on once I have a better grasp on what horrible task you probably assigned me to ;) )
edit: I'll probably be one of the first casualties anyway hehe

Last edited:
I can rename my defense station to something I like too, right?

Yes. I might add a few code-letters to identify its type and/or function (just as I add ESNA to Freighters and Colony Transports).

if you have something that breaks down a lot, find small stuffs, complains or nitpick all the time I guess you could name it after me *grins*
"so say we all"
(I might request change later on once I have a better grasp on what horrible task you probably assigned me to ;) )
edit: I'll probably be one of the first casualties anyway hehe

Do you want a character? Or did you want our Fighters to be called "Avengers"? They will likely break down a lot...