• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Episode 23: the dream has been realized

So after two months of peace, I want to war some more, so I encourage the Templars.

faction_take_over_eun_tem.png

I declare a war of imperialism on poor Castille. However, I'm not the only one to take pity on the poor bastards and Bohemia and its vassals join the fun. As most of my forces, about a hundred regiments, are based on the Iberian peninsula, I make mincemeat out of the Castillians. However, 12th and 13 corps, stationed in Rome, are wiped out by Bohemian forces! No matter, replacements corps are ordered from the conscription camps at home.

In July 1701 I force Castille to give their last two North American colonies, plus 4 Iberian provinces that will be very welcome for Grenada.

An honour the ancestors event brings the Bureaucrats into power, so that I can build another five level 1 forts.

faction_take_over_tem_bur.png

In 1702 I reach land tech level 36. The last decades I invested equally in all tech areas, but from now on I will invest only in Government. As I am at least three level ahead in Land Tech compared to the other Great Powers, there is little risk in pursuing this strategy.

In 1702 and 1703 little happens: events cause three faction turnovers, I move the National Focus to Kanawa as the previous NF covered provinces were all build up.

faction_take_over_bur_tem.png

faction_take_over_tem_eun.png

faction_take_over_eun_bur.png

Castille is not only a punching bag for China. In December 1705 Sweden forces Castille to release Aragon, Genoa and some other nations.

1705-12-28iberiansituation.png

Interesting. Very interesting. But Iberia is not yet our target, it's Brits bashing time once again! I change to Templar rule and declare imperialistic war on GB.

However, it seems that Britain is very popular in Europe.

1708-02-09enemylist.png

Basically all of Europe west of the Oder save for Austria and Castille is in war with me. Within a year the British forces have been annihilated once again and their island is conquered. However, another setback in Italy:

1708-11-13romadisaster.png

For the second time, 12th and 13th corps have been annihilated in Roma! It begins to look like the place is cursed! I request 40 new regiments to replace the fallen. I don't think I will station them in Italy, though.

But a measly 40.000 deaths will not stop me. In April 1709 I gain another three British provinces that will strengthen Confucian England. Infamy is now at a comfortable 7,9. I manage to get peace with alliance leader France by paying them the measily sum of 200 ducats, the income of only a week.

As a reward for his accomplisments, Menglin gets to have a necropolis, like his illustrious predecessor Song. This gives the Eunuchs the confidence to take the reigns.

But after sending the colonists and merchants, I want to drive Castille out of the Iberian pensinsula so in February 1710 I switch to Templars and I declare war upon the Castillian kingdom.

No European ally comes to the aid of Castille, probably for a very good reason. So I also declare war on Aragon, which is aided by Sweden. The war goes as planned, with the exception of a naval battle, in which I destroy 9 Castillian Big Ships and 14 Small Ships, leaving Castille without a fleet.

After conquering all Iberian provinces from Castille, I still have not enough warscore so in October 1711 I invade Castillian Africa, leading to the first "serious" Chinese batles in Africa. In 1712 I have control of all Aragonese cities and annex the young state. A white peace is signed with Sweden afterwards. As standard, conversion of the new territory is started immediately. I also reach Government tech level 41, granting me an additional National Idea, but I won't use that slot yet. As my Infamy is 7,6 and will rise much higher very soon, I switch to Eunuch control.

in August 1713, after conquering most of Castillian Africa, I finally have the warscore to get the peace I want: I gain seven Iberian provinces, leaving only one to Casille. Infamy is now at 18,1.

1714-03-10gainsofplainsinspain.png

But if the capital of Castille is no longer in Toledo, then were in the world is it? Well, in Franken of course!

1713-09-24castillecapital.png

Probably because of their not inconsiderable conquests in Germany they moved the capital there, but still I would have expected that Castille's new capital would be in Africa, as the majority of its territory is there. But hey, I'm not complaining, it gave me a laugh.

The next couple of years are used as a breather. Three factions switches take place and a free slider move, which I use for moving towards Land.

faction_take_over_tem_bur.png

The great Menglin dies on 16 October 1717, leaving the Republic to another Menglin who, like his two predecessors, is quite balanced in his abilities.

1717-10-16menglin2.png

Alas, it seems that there is a downward trend in monarch stats since Song. What will the future bring?

But there is no respite for the new Lord Protector. In October 1717 I declare Colonial war upon France, which holds the last foreign colonies in North America. On my side all my vassals join, especially Granada and its 30.000 troops. Bohemia and its many vassals join the French side, pitting me against formidable forces. But I do not intend to fight them all.

The 120.000 troops I have stationed in Granada pour into French territitory. The French were not prepared at all for this invasion: in seven months I manage to kill 64.000 enemy troops and overrun seven provinces.

1718-05-16progressagainstfrench.png

The back of the French forces has been broken and I rush my armies forward. In the next three months I kill 53.000 enemies, of which only 10.000 French: the rest of the casualties are divided equally between Bohemia and Venice. Even with all the heavy fighting going on, I manage to conquer an additional nine French provinces as well as all their colonies before I lose momentum.

1718-08-16victoryoverfrance.png

I propose a peace they cannot refuse: all their North American provincess. As this would cause unrest, the French wisely accept. Because of the high speed of the war, only a few Bohemian forces were able to participate: most of its 300.000 strong army never had the chance to interfere.

1718-08-18NAismine.png

With this victory, the goal of obtaining North America has been accomplished! Only a dozen or so provinces are left to colonize, out of reach of any competitor. The colonial wars are now over, after 150 years of bloodshed.

1718-11-27breligionsinna.png

Besides the physical conquest the spiritual conquest of the American colonies is also almost over. Time to turn my attention elsewhere!

Stats

Code:
					change during decade		change since 1399	
			1710	1720	absolute	relative	absolute	relative
No. of provinces	223	241	18		8%		187		346%
Yearly income		10399	10818	419		4%		9.980		1191%
Yearly income/province	46,6	44,9	-1,7		-4%		29,4		189%
Inflation		0,6	0,9	0,3		N/A		0,9		N/A
Manpower (x1.000)	521	543	22		4%		458		539%
Army Size		182	242	60		33%		203		521%
Navy size		197	197	0		0%		148		302%

Code:
			1700	1710	absolute	relative	absolute	relative
No. of provinces	222	223	1		0%		169		313%
Yearly income		10674	10399	-275		-3%		9.561		1141%
Yearly income/province	48,1	46,6	-1,4		-3%		31,1		200%
Inflation		2,8	0,6	-2,2		N/A		0,6		N/A
Manpower (x1.000)	520	521	1		0%		436		513%
Army Size		211	182	-29		-14%		143		367%

Next episode: preparations

India now? :)

It would be an interesting showdown, but they just seem to collapse.
The will collapse, that is for sure. The question is, will they collapse under rebels or under Chinese shells? ;)

Loving this AAR
Thanks!

India now? :)
Will you release a nation in NA?
Well, we have to wait and see.

Can vassals take unification decisions? I'd love to see a Confucian Granada forming Spain.
No idea. All I know is that they can Westernize :)

China has finally pushed the Europeans out of North America. Perhaps Chinese rule will soon extend to all of the New World. ;)

I love your vassal-expanding ways. It makes a much more realistic Europe. Instead of China governing a bunch of European provinces, they have local governments loyal and answerable only to them.

That was just too crazy. I applause you!:cool:
Thank you. I can assure you, it gets crazier. A lot.

China has finally pushed the Europeans out of North America. Perhaps Chinese rule will soon extend to all of the New World. ;)
Maybe. I can assure you, the future will bring quite a lot of pushing Europeans around.

Confucian America? Better than Scientologist
If you think about it, this campaign has a nice alternative history feel to it. In this timeline, Mandarin is by far the most-spoken language, Confucianism is the largest and fastest growing religion that stretches into Europe. There has been no Portugese colonization and Spanish (sorry Castillian) colonization has been very limited. No Russia or a similar country has formed, leaving the steppes to the Golden Horde. Technological and societal advancement comes either from a couple of small European princedoms or the extensive lands of China. Republicanism rather than monarchism has become the dominant form of government.

You could write quite a nice alt history book based on this.

I love your vassal-expanding ways. It makes a much more realistic Europe. Instead of China governing a bunch of European provinces, they have local governments loyal and answerable only to them.
I love having vassals and it´s a shame there is so little interaction with them. I can´t influence my vassals at all, can´t influence them to change government or domestic sliders or whatever.

Episode 24: preparations
Or the Era of Brit Bashing

1719-12-16yantheweak.png

After only two years of rule, Menglin the Second dies. Probably a relative of the Mings. In his stead we get Yan, who sadly isn't balanced at all and even worse has a high Diplomacy, while I really don't need the Eunuchs that much right now.

In 1720 the Eunuchs take over thanks to our great leader.

faction_take_over_bur_eun.png

I think this is a sign to abandon the dictatorship and return to administrative republic. Although the -4 stab hit hurts like hell, the time of Song and Menglin I is definately over.

1721-12-05returntoadminrepublic.png

In the new elections, the first in sixty years, I back the military guy and get an ADM 5 MIL 8 DIP 3 guy. Not surprising, this great leader is a Song!

This new Song guy has to be introduced to the British, as I am sure they would love it, so I change to Templar rule and declare war on Great Britain.

As I no longer govern a dictatorship, I can't use the Imperialism Casus Belli. Luckily, I still have a core on British Zapotec, gained by a border conflict in 1582. So I use the Reconquest CB on Great Britain to prevent a stab hit. Bohemia, while defender of Catholics, does not interfere. Great Britain stands alone. I invite Confucian England to join the fun and they assault and capture London in a month! The new AI is awesome.

In February 1727 I sign a peace demanding Zapotec, Cumbria (conquered by the English) and two Scottish provines. Infamy is now 12 again.

1728-12-01constitutionalrepublic.png

In 1728 I reach Government tech level 47 and I institute the constitutional republic. That should keep the colonists happy. However, not all is well.

1729-11-14advancedJapan.png

Holy macaroni! Minamoto has Westernized! I look into its history and apparantly the Western ambassy events are to blame. Great, so now I have a credible threat next door and I have only 20 regiments in the homelands. Hopefully the great size of the army and my mighty fleet (Minamoto still believes in galleys) will deter the Japanese.

In the 1729 elections I choose a bureaucratic candidate so that I can build up the economy some more. Instead I get a ADM 6 MIL 3 DIP 8. Already I am starting to miss the good old days of the dictatorship.

The free slider move I get in 1731 is used to slide towards Quantity. The 1733 elections get me a Menglin, an ADM 3 MIL 8 DIP 7 military leader and there was much rejoicing.

Not wanting to be outdone by the Songs, Menglin declares war on Great Britain. With no cores and no dictatorship, Casus Belli run a bit dry, so the excuse offered to the international press is that it is a colonial war. An excuse that was quickly seen through by all when in 1736 the five remaining provinces on the British Isle in British hands are surrendered. Infamy is now at an uncomfortable 20.

The next couple of years see only some minor internal developments. A necropolis is build for Menglin (already?), giving favour to the Eunuchs, but because of high Quantity (+1) and Menglins start, control is quickly regained by the Templars.

In the 1737 elections I keep Menglin as he is such a great guy. The year 1738 is when all of North America has been colonized, reducing the need for the Eunuchs considerably.

In 1739 I reach Government tech level 50, giving me another National Idea slot, which I won't use yet. The shrewd and experienced among you will guess why.

A nice thing happens in 1741: I gain a core on the British colony bordering north China! So it is Brit-bashing time again.

1742-05-03northchinagains.png

As GB is no longer supported by any major power, these British wars are a walk in the park. In the peace negotiations, I get the two British colonies north of China and Peren, the Centre of Trade of Central America. Infamy is 16, just high enough for my plans.

In June 1742 I release Aragon as all its cores have been converted.

1742-08-02aragonarises.png

Aragon is now the first constitutional vassal of China. In December I reach Government tech level 51.

In 1745 I have build up the army up to the force limit. I now have 20.000 troops in mainland China, 40.000 in the Chinese colonies and 390.000 in Europe. Also, another 20 transport ships have been build, increasing the transport fleet to 60. In the elections I choose to keep Menglin.

In 1748 Government tech level reaches 52. Almost there...

Then, in 1749, a monumental event!

1749-07-10HREunited.png

The Holy Roman Empire has united!

Stats

Code:
			1740	1750	absolute	relative	absolute	relative
No. of provinces	260	258	-2		-1%		204		378%
Yearly income		15151	15978	827		5%		15.140		1807%
Yearly income/province	58,3	61,9	3,7		6%		46,4		299%
Inflation		0,0	0,6	0,6		N/A		0,6		N/A
Manpower (x1.000)	560	557	-3		-1%		472		555%
Army Size		318	390	72		23%		351		900%
Navy size		197	227	30		15%		178		363%

Code:
			1730	1740	absolute	relative	absolute	relative
No. of provinces	252	260	8		3%		206		381%
Yearly income		13480	15151	1.671		12%		14.313		1708%
Yearly income/province	53,5	58,3	4,8		9%		42,8		276%
Inflation		0,0	0,0	0		N/A		0		N/A
Manpower (x1.000)	547	560	13		2%		475		559%
Army Size		258	318	60		23%		279		715%

Code:
			1720	1730	absolute	relative	absolute	relative
No. of provinces	241	252	11		5%		198		367%
Yearly income		10818	13480	2.662		25%		12.642		1509%
Yearly income/province	44,9	53,5	8,6		19%		38,0		245%
Inflation		0,9	0,0	-0,9		N/A		0		N/A
Manpower (x1.000)	543	547	4		1%		462		544%
Army Size		242	258	16		7%		219		562%

Next episode:

1752-01-01revcounterrev.png

Last edited:
Great Britain must hate being picked on by China so much. :p Once you beat him up so bad that he ceases to exist, who will be your next punching bag? I wonder why Austria did not join the HRE. :eek:

Wooo! Revolution and Counter-Revolution! CBs on everyone! The Glorious Republic China will bury the imperialist west!

That icon looks absolutely deliciously EVIL!
I agree.

Great Britain must hate being picked on by China so much. :p Once you beat him up so bad that he ceases to exist, who will be your next punching bag? I wonder why Austria did not join the HRE. :eek:
Great Britain has territory in SA that I don't intend to take, so I think GB will survive the game.

When the "Revoke the Privilegia" reform was enacted, Austria declined, left the HRE and started quite a bloody war with Bohemia. From the few times I've seen the HRE come so far, the big nations within the HRE always decline "Revoke the Privilegia".

Wooo! Revolution and Counter-Revolution! CBs on everyone! The Glorious Republic China will bury the imperialist west!
I think at this point it would be a bit hypocrytical for the most expansive nation in the game to call others imperialistic :)

I guarantee that the HRE wont survive.
Yeah, they tend to collapse immediately. A damn shame.
We will see.

"Imperial Golden Horde"?

That sounds awesome.

A tribute to PrawnStar, perhaps?

There is also an Imperial South America.

Last edited:
Loving the updates! I must admit I'm a bit sad you've less than a century to go. Then again, lots happens in a short period in late-game. How does the HRE compare to the Chinese in tech, now that they've united? (I suppose this is immaterial if they collapse anyway). I expect Europe will collapse into revolter states, and depending on their territory in South America, we might get to see large and influential New World nations, which is never too common (I don't mean influential on China, of course :) ).

I
I think at this point it would be a bit hypocrytical for the most expansive nation in the game to call others imperialistic :)

That's never stopped anyone before.:p