• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Intermezzo: an overview of Song's accomplishments

Yuyuang Song was the right man at the right time: with his 9/9/9 stats, he took over the Central Republic in 1643, just after the ability to encourage factions was introduced. Because of this combination, his reign saw a lot of faction changes. In 45 years, Song managed to get the Templars in power 14 times, the Eunuchs 13 times and the Bureaucrats 7 times, in total 34 changes!

Besides his political manoeuvring, Song will be most likelly remembered for his conquests in North America. This was the situation when he took power:

1643NA.png

While China was already of one the dominating powers on that continent, Great Britain still had a sizeable presence, together with some minor holdings of four other European nations. Also, three native nations were still around.

After Song's death, this was the new situation:

1688na.png

Great Britain's presence has been reduced to two provinces, all the Native nations has been annexed and the other European nations have only a few outposts left. Also, the Midwest has been colonized to a large degree. A total of 86 provinces were either conquered or colonized in North America by Song.

But Song did not only conquer land, he also conquered minds. In 1643, Confucianism was a minority religion in the colonies:

1643religionsinna.png

(I know, "religious" is misspelled. I only found out after all the pictures were edited and it would take way to much time to correct it. My apologies.)

And while his conquest outpaced China's ability to convert, he still managed to expand the Confucian sphere:

1688religionsinna.png

While not Song's doing, Confucianism also saw growth in Asia.

1643religionsinasia.png

1688religionsinasia.png

The demise of the Oirat Horde means that the majority of Buddhists live under the governance of China and its vassals. While Bihar has been a military enemy throughout the reign, it did convert a large part of the Indian subcontinent to Confucianism. Catholicism has been introduced to Asia by the colonisation of the Phillipines by Great Britain.

The other theatre where Song was active was Europe. The political situation when Song started his reign:

1643Europe.png

And after he was finished:

1688Europe.png

While no great amounts of territory were conquered, Song did establish Chinese control in Europe for the first time. By creating Confucian England, Granada and Firenze, China started to have influence in European affairs. Surprisingly, besides China's emegence in Europe, little else did change on the political field. Noteworthy foremost is the appearance of Sweden and the breakup of Lithuania.

For completeness' sake, a before and after picture of the religions in Europe:

1643religionsineurope.png

1688religionineurope.png

Finally, while not as impressive as his political and military accomplismnents, Song constructed quite a few buildings, all in the Chinese colonies. At least 40 buildings have been constructed, including 6 Custom houses from the ground up. This is besides the many level 1 forts that were build. According to cautious estimations, at least 20 forts have been constructed.

(As and aside, this shows how many agents you lose with playing factions. During Song's reign, I got about 3.5 magistrates a year, almost 160 magistrates in total. And all the blossoming colonies have given at least 20 magistrates on top of that. With about 60-70 buildings constructed, not even half of the magistrates gained have been used for construction. The rest were either discarded because of the 5-agent limit or used for encouragement.)

Code:
					change during reign		change since 1399	
			1643	1688	absolute	relative	absolute	relative
No. of provinces	119	206	87		73%		152		281%
Yearly income		8890	9029	139		2%		8.191		977%
Yearly income/province	74,71	43,83	-30,9		-41%		28,3		182%
Inflation		0	0	0		N/A		0		N/A
Manpower (x1.000)	498	513	15		3%		428		504%
Army Size		117	176	59		50%		137		351%
Navy size		92	114	22		24%		65		133%

Sadly, even with all his efforts, Song couldn't manage to increase China's income by any significant degree. Coupled with a massive territory expansion (73%!), this means that during his reign the quality of the economy plunged to a mere 60% of pre-Song levels. The army has seen a steady expansion to match the expanded territory. Note that even with the disastrous wipeout of Main Fleet, the navy did expand considerably.

So all in all, Song's reign was exciting and explosive and a great showcase of what a balanced ruler can do when the domestic sliders are likewise balanced.

Next episode: Menglin carries on the legacy

Whoah...
I'm out for like, how much, 2 weeks or less and you menage to do such impressive thing with only one ruler? :eek:
Man, I've gotta end my Poland game, it succeeded for less than 15 years since january...

Song will be sorely missed. Now you have to worry about Castille, Great Britain, and the Papal States all seeking vengeance for your incursion into Europe and their empires. I bet the Pope is especially angry that Rome is now Confucian. :p

Not bad. Shame it's too late for WC but endgame map will be awesome nevertheless.

That is truly impressive. It's what I'd expect of a 9/9/9 leader!

Not bad. Shame it's too late for WC but endgame map will be awesome nevertheless.

Thank goodness he won't do another silly WC, those are usually very boring to read about. This AAR, otoh, is pure awesomeness.:D

Whoah...
I'm out for like, how much, 2 weeks or less and you menage to do such impressive thing with only one ruler? :eek:
Man, I've gotta end my Poland game, it succeeded for less than 15 years since january...
Well, it is a 9/9/9 ruler and it still is Ming. It's unfair to compare that to Poland.

Song will be sorely missed. Now you have to worry about Castille, Great Britain, and the Papal States all seeking vengeance for your incursion into Europe and their empires. I bet the Pope is especially angry that Rome is now Confucian. :p

Especially as the Reformation and the Ottomans were very unsuccesful in this game. Everything went swimmingly for the Pope until BAM 40 thousand Chinese on Saint Peter's Square.

Thank goodness he won't do another silly WC, those are usually very boring to read about. This AAR, otoh, is pure awesomeness.:D
To be honest, I can't pull of a World Conquest. I've tried once with the Ottomans, but could only conquer all of mainland Europe, North Africa and half of India and the Middle East. I have no idea how people can conquer so many provinces and annex so many nations without getting Infamy problems.

Doing a WC is quite boring at some point, I can imagine, as you become much stronger than any other nation and the game basically is a mopping up of all the small nations.

Have you built any Manus yet, and if not, why not?
I have 16 Universities, many of them gained by event. I generally build buildings manufactories until the price rises to 3000-4000, 6000 at the most. At a price of 6000 it takes a century for the investment to pay off. That's too long for me.

That is truly impressive. It's what I'd expect of a 9/9/9 leader!
Well, I didn't expect Song to live for an amazing 45 years. Even a 9/9/9 leader is of little use if he just lives for 2 months.

Yeah, Rome is Confucian but can't you see Catholicism has accomplished a firightingly competent missionary scheme?
Me, I'm not into WC, as you say boring mopping. But your story has been gripping despite China having become invincible.

That is the most failed Reformation I've ever seen. Even when I'm playing a Catholic continental power, the Reformation does better. That Pope had one iron grip on Europe. Even the Orthodox heretics are almost gone.

Episode 22: Menglin carries on the legacy

1688-02-11Menglin.png

The new Lord Protector Menglin, while no Song, is certainly a very good leader. Not perfectly balanced but enough to manipulated the factions with ease.

The first act of Menglin is to carry on the legacy of Song of conquest in North America: he declares Colonial War upon Venice. Castille and Austria joins, with Castille becoming Alliance Leader. Two battle corps and an assault corps stationed in Italy march through Mantua and Ferrara to Venician land.

Through encouragement, the Eunuchs take over.

faction_take_over_tem_eun.png

After a year Austria signs a white peace, probably because of their war with Bohemia and their 12.7 War Exhaustion.

A honour the ancestors event allows me to influence the Bureaucrats.

faction_take_over_eun_bur.png

1689-12-10lastreform.png

In December 1689 Bohemia takes another step towards uniting the HRE: it has revoked the priveleges! Only one more Diet and the HRE will be united, which with the time remaining is almost a certainty. Will the HRE be the main rival of China in the future? Only time will tell.

Also, a Gilded Pagoda causs the Eunuchs to take over.

faction_take_over_bur_eun.png

In 1692 Venice agrees to surrender their last 3 colonies in NA. Castille signs a peace afterwards, paying 600 ducats and anulling treaties with Venice and Austria. Infamy is now at a nice 16.3.

In 1694 the Templars are again enouraged to take the centre spot.

faction_take_over_eun_tem.png

In 1697 I declare a War of Imperialism on Great Britain. France and Portugal join the fun! Funny enough, Venice declares war upon us to get their colonies back!

The war goes quite predictably: my armies in the English Isles curbstomp the British forces. Less easy to defeat are the 30 French colonial regiments in French North America, but in the end are defeated by 20 local Chinese regiments. Venice is once again attacked overland through Mantua and Ferrara.

Another encouragement takes place!

faction_take_over_tem_eun.png

n 1698 Norway also declares war on us to take their colonies back! We also now accept English culture!

1698-03-02englishcultureaccepted.png

1698-03-02charts.png

In May 1698 I force GB to give 4 English provinces and 2 colonies, raising my Infamy to 14. The free domestic slider move of 1698 is used to move towards Free Trade.

I manage to get a peace with France in 1699 by bribing them with 700 ducats. In 1700 I force Venice to give up 7 cores, removing their claim on my territory. With Norway, defeated by my loyal vassals, I sign a white peace.

Stats

Code:
					change during decade		change since 1399	
			1690	1700	absolute	relative	absolute	relative
No. of provinces	208	222	14		7%		168		311%
Yearly income		9910	10674	764		8%		9.836		1174%
Yearly income/province	47,6	48,1	0,4		1%		32,6		210%
Inflation		0,0	2,8	2,8		N/A		2,8		N/A
Manpower (x1.000)	515	520	5		1%		435		512%
Army Size		176	211	35		20%		172		441%
Navy size		150	197	47		31%		148		302%

Code:
					change during decade		change since 1399	
			1680	1690	absolute	relative	absolute	relative
No. of provinces	192	208	16		8%		154		285%
Yearly income		9021	9910	889		10%		9.072		1083%
Yearly income/province	47,0	47,6	0,7		1%		32,1		207%
Inflation		0,0	0,0	0		N/A		0		N/A
Manpower (x1.000)	507	515	8		2%		430		506%
Army Size		176	176	0		0%		137		351%
Navy size		130	150	20		15%		101		206%

You can see that the army and navy has seen expansion during the last two decade. Because of the high naval maintenance cost and the relative weak economy, inflation has risen to make ends meet.

Next episode: the dream has been realized.

There's something delightfully absurd about the Chinese accepting English culture :)

Yeah, Rome is Confucian but can't you see Catholicism has accomplished a firightingly competent missionary scheme?
Me, I'm not into WC, as you say boring mopping. But your story has been gripping despite China having become invincible.

That is the most failed Reformation I've ever seen. Even when I'm playing a Catholic continental power, the Reformation does better. That Pope had one iron grip on Europe. Even the Orthodox heretics are almost gone.
I agree that Catholicism so far has been remarkably succesful. Thanks to Lithuania, East Europe is almost completely catholic.

Even more remarkable is that the New World has no protestants or reformed at all. I have only conquered catholic provinces and all of South America is catholic.

There's something delightfully absurd about the Chinese accepting English culture :)
EU3 is nothing if not absurd.

True.
Don't you regret forming vassal England now?
No. I struggle with my finances due to keeping a large fleet afloat: I have about 150 oversees provinces! Extra oversees provinces do not provide me with much extra income (see the stats of the last couple decades) yet still cost me extra fleet maintenance.

Besides, England is becoming quite a strong vassal that converts provinces at a very high speed, so I don't have to convert provinces before I sell them to the English.

Awesomeness will ensue when China and HRE are at war. :)
I really hope the HRE will unite, it would be awesome indeed!