• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Very nice! You're really moving in Africa, now. How close is the US to the Allies? The South Africans proved Portuguese amphibious ops could be stopped dead with just a few small warships. The Brits didn't pay attention, but maybe the Americans did? In either case, if the US is in the war there'll doubtless be a few errant squadrons about the Caribbean--precluding your maneuvering there. Have you thought about how to fight the US? They don't have much in the way of vulnerable periphery compared to the UK.

How close is Spain to the Axis? Unless I'm mistaken, their entry would allow German troops onto the Iberian peninsula, correct? It would certainly reduce the risk posed by US or Royal Marines knocking on Lisbon's door. Let the Heer serve as your strategic reserve :rofl:

If I'm not mistaken German, or Spanish troops for that matter, would only divert themselves to Portugal once they sense a serious threat in the form of troops having actually landed. And even then it would take some time since I suppose most of their troops would be occupied in other theatres. You may count on the Spanish home guard though, should not take the long to assist. Or is Spanish-Portuguese infrastructure not that good?

*de lurks*

Dear Rensselaer,
I've been lurking for a while now and can't wait for your next update. This aar is somehow more epic than your Siam one in VIC 2. BTW that was very informative and really taught me alot so thanks!

Anyway back to now. Whats the plan when all those soft exposed territories of the old powers are yours? Whats the plan when the usa joins? fight or flight? Can I recommend picking on the weak south America countries like Uruguay if the US joins . Will you be entrenched with your allies in the SU when barborrasa happens or do you see the allies as your prey. IMHO your next target should be Invading New Zealand....................anyways you probably wont reveal your upcoming strategy (and that's how it should be, as I like surprises, except for that time when I came home to find a tiger in my Bathtub, that wasn't fun) but when you do it will blow our socks off...........................oh yeeeeeeaah!

Any ways I'm ranting a bit.
So if you take one thing from this post let it be this,
Good luck!

PJ

*re lurks*

Grr... I hate it when I have the feedback 100% written and a glitch zorches it, along with my copied text...

I'm not suggesting an amphibious assault directly on Gibraltar; land adjacent to Gibraltar and then assault.

Yeah, I tried that already and it didn't work. No supply through the Spanish lands, so they were immediately out of supply. I'm not sure why I didn't have my reserve supplies -- they just weren't there. Are you suggesting if I had an HQ that would provide those supplies? I know there have been suggestions to link supply to HQs but to the best of my knowledge it's never been done that way.

You can't attack out of neutral territory, and even if the game allowed it, he wouldn't have any supplies, so no attacking through Spain. Spain would need to join the war first.

Yes, this is how I understand it. I was hoping I could attack, though I knew I couldn't draw supply, but neither was possible.

thats an impressively methodical cull of the UK's forces .... and you're on your way to Egypt

Thanks! Everything seemed to coincide at once.

The old adage is certainly true for the Brits: An army marches on its stomach! Failure of the AI to maintain viable supply had been its undoing in many engagements and your (dare I say) textbook approach to keeping them off balance clearly highlights this oft fatal flaw. The march up, through and past the heart of Africa will be interesting to watch.

I appreciate that! Yes, the AI is vulnerable to cutting off supply, but to their credit they did make efforts to withdraw from potential pockets and to maintain within supply. If that British guy in Bechuanaland had been able to advance, and thereby break my encirclement, rather than being caught by a grappler from behind, all three of those divisions might ultimately have escaped.

Impressive performance againsthe British in East Africa. That carrier's aircraft could have stopped your advance dead in South Africa. Was it out of supply? They haven't engaged you on your march north. If they defend like that in Egypt, you'll win big there too.

You've removed pockets of enemy troops and are now ready to move on to other things. I'm looking forward to the Dutch surrender and the formation of the Portuguese East Indies. Lots of raw materials.

I'm really not sure what's up with that Carrier. From this and other experiences, I can only conclude that the naval AI was broken in v1.2, or whichever version this was (I think it was 1.2). The AI routinely had resources he could use to stop my naval operations, through either patrols or blockades, and it just never happened. This lessens the sense of victory somewhat. Granted, my operations were VERY unorthodox, causing the AI problems maybe it never anticipated, but still...

I had problems reconquering Italian East Africa because apparently supply had to come from Italy so when I reached the outer areas it was impossible to move any farther than the exterior without a naval invasion

Wow. That's interesting. Italy is one of those countries where there's just no good way to manage things. I've been playing as Italy in my latest HOI game, and supply problems, combined with their lack of adequate radio communication at game start, are annoying.

Have you checked if the Britons have abondoned the home isles to defend Africa? ;)

You know, I haven't dared. For one, I'm too afraid I'd lose one of my few remaining naval units by risking it. And for another I would consider such an attempt "gamey" and unrealistic. I could probably try it, but my mind wouldn't rest thinking how dumb it would be for Portugal to invade the British Isles. :)

The German generals were standing in line at attention, flinching at every insult. Besides them their Italian counterparts, advisors added to the German General staff, seemed to look desperately for rock to climb under.
“This is a disgrace! Verdammt nochmal!” Hitler was furiously walking up and down the line waving a file bearing the Portuguese flag. “All the superior equipment, our finest Arian soldiers, and look what you have to show for it!” "Look at what our forgotten allies have accomplished. They managed to knock South Africa straight out of the war, conquered almost half of Africa and have bases in the Indies and even in America! You hear me? America! And all that with third rate troops and horses. HORSES!"

Phew, took me over a week to get up to date with this AAR but I must say it was well worth it. Luckily Rennslaer is not the world's fastest updater. :D

Wow, I must admit I never considered this possible for Portugal. Certainly after the initial shock I had when seeing what you had to start with (IC, research, troops). You are definitely proving to be a skilled tactician and I concur with earlier claims that this should be on every beginners reading list.
It is especially refreshing since there are no tanks. To most of us (I assume) who are used to those magnificent beasts of metal and grease, this almost seems like a look back in history, like the war is actually fought in the 1920's. ;) Although to my own fault I had to realize in my games that in the end I also resorted to cavalry in Africa, when all those shiny tanks were constantly out of fuel. :D

Is it safe to say that you appear to be the third biggest (VP) or at least most valuable axis member, currently?

Are most of VP for Netherlands situated in mainland Holland or not? If not, is it possible They will actually surrender to you? And when annexed, would you get Holland too? Would be nice. :)

What the US concerns you might stand some chance if you were to occupy some pivotal points, reinforced with forts. This would make their stepstone invasion techniques rather useless and would protect Lisbon. This all hinges on the big Brothers occupying England and Iceland of course.

Well, keep up the good work!

Thanks, FedGuard! And Welcome! Sorry it took me a while to respond to this magnificent work -- I read it when you posted it, and it's great! I've often wondered how Germany might view my relative success. And I've also wondered what the German AI was intending to do with the UK. I don't know if they're strong enough to cross the channel - I haven't loaded as Germany. From loading as UK once, I know they're not yet starving -- still plenty of transport convoys. Yeah, no tanks is a challenge. I'm sure I'm ranked 3rd. Not sure what I'll do when/if they USA gets involved. I'm pretty vulnerable! Thanks for your kind words!

Burn those little Brit rats !

We accept their surrender, and treat them kindly! :)

Very nice! You're really moving in Africa, now. How close is the US to the Allies? The South Africans proved Portuguese amphibious ops could be stopped dead with just a few small warships. The Brits didn't pay attention, but maybe the Americans did? In either case, if the US is in the war there'll doubtless be a few errant squadrons about the Caribbean--precluding your maneuvering there. Have you thought about how to fight the US? They don't have much in the way of vulnerable periphery compared to the UK.

How close is Spain to the Axis? Unless I'm mistaken, their entry would allow German troops onto the Iberian peninsula, correct? It would certainly reduce the risk posed by US or Royal Marines knocking on Lisbon's door. Let the Heer serve as your strategic reserve :rofl:

I'm not sure on the US. Spain is pretty far -- they have really high neutrality, having already come through a rough war. If the US gets involved, it's hard to say how I might defend. I lack the IC or manpower to really contest them in my new colonial acquisitions. But I feel pretty confident in Lisbon, which is the one port they could try to invade on the mainland. In a way, Spain's neutrality is the only thing preventing my being invaded! :)

If I'm not mistaken German, or Spanish troops for that matter, would only divert themselves to Portugal once they sense a serious threat in the form of troops having actually landed. And even then it would take some time since I suppose most of their troops would be occupied in other theatres. You may count on the Spanish home guard though, should not take the long to assist. Or is Spanish-Portuguese infrastructure not that good?

I think I won't count on help from my allies if the US enters -- they'll have problems of their own. Which hopefully will distract the US! :D

Wow, you've almost completely taken over africa. what do you plan to do next? you appear to be running out of easy targets.

Yeah, I know. I do have plans, but I shan't explain them here -- ruins the suspense! :D I'm a little amazed myself. Never expected this.

*de lurks*

Dear Rensselaer,
I've been lurking for a while now and can't wait for your next update. This aar is somehow more epic than your Siam one in VIC 2. BTW that was very informative and really taught me alot so thanks!

Anyway back to now. Whats the plan when all those soft exposed territories of the old powers are yours? Whats the plan when the usa joins? fight or flight? Can I recommend picking on the weak south America countries like Uruguay if the US joins . Will you be entrenched with your allies in the SU when barborrasa happens or do you see the allies as your prey. IMHO your next target should be Invading New Zealand....................anyways you probably wont reveal your upcoming strategy (and that's how it should be, as I like surprises, except for that time when I came home to find a tiger in my Bathtub, that wasn't fun) but when you do it will blow our socks off...........................oh yeeeeeeaah!

Any ways I'm ranting a bit.
So if you take one thing from this post let it be this,
Good luck!

PJ

*re lurks*

Thanks, PJ Fallon, and Welcome! I appreciate your saying hello. Glad you enjoy "I Am Siam" too (V2)! I think this may be more fun than Siam, because HOI 3 is really my favorite game of the series now. I haven't really given much thought to the possibility of confronting the USSR either -- I was as surprised as you that I got this far! :D If I can fend off the British while the Germans take on Stalin, that'll be fine with me. Don't expect me on those steppes!

Fair enough. That was a pretty good read, I could see things going like that if the AI would actually move into the theater to help the Portuguese advance.

As for Rensslaer, that's an amazing job you're doing with Portugal. Can't wait for the next update!

Thanks, Fontan!

All right... This AAR is next up for an update. I should have time tomorrow. At this point there's only one thing that can stop us. Okay, well, two things. Or... Maybe three things. But watch, and you'll see! :D

Hey, before I go on, I want to put in a plug for the AARLand Choice AwAARds, underway now for 1st Qtr 2011. This is to promote the awards, not to promote my AAR or to encourage votes, but I do appreciate any votes cast. What's most important is that we all do what we can to support a Forum institution that helps encourage new writers and encourage MORE reading of AARs (which, in turn, encourages the writers)! Thanks to anybody who participates this month (I think voting goes on all month, so you have plenty of time to read, then VOTE!).

Rensslaer

I suppose those factors were problems for me too but maybe you were on a higher difficulty. I blitzed the Balkans and put a lot of effort on having the best navy so I didn't really have any trouble till I got to Malaysia (the Empire had conquered many other territories but that's besides the point). On the way I decided to take over Persia which gave me a straight land route from Rome to Guangzhou. Oddly enough the supply AI thought it would be funny if the supplies had to travel overland all the way from Rome to India so when the British reinvaded (for the 3rd Time) my force were essentially crippled so I can only hope that the Allies take over Persia again so I can have my supplies back. It truly is a game of Iron Hearts ;)

All caught up! Another classic Rensslaer AAR -- excited to pick up HOI 3 again, now that I got Semper Fi quite cheaply ($6). I am closely following!

Whereas in recent updates I’ve tended to explain battle sequences one theatre at a time, to avoid confusion, this update only really works chronologically. Sorry for switching back and forth between theatres, but it can’t be helped! After this – within a week or two – I hope to have an update on Chita and her crew!
15Mar1941Caribbean.jpg

In mid-March, 1941, the Caribbean Sea was the site of two struggles – minor by comparison to the battles which had raged across Europe, which was now quiet, but major in terms of the single-division combats which characterized the Portuguese advance. Efforts to reduce the isolated British division on Jamaica continued, with sporadic fighting, followed by rest which could only benefit the Portuguese, followed by more sharp combat.

Operating from Barbados, Gen. Coutinho was successfully concluding his campaign to prize the British 33rd out of St. George. Gen. Ismay surrendered on the 20th of March, and the 21st Infantry paused while considering its next move.

In southern Africa, Portuguese forces were mopping up the last two British divisions which had become trapped in Bechuanaland. Meanwhile, others pressed north out of the Rift Valley toward Lake Victoria and Mombassa, along the coast.

20Mar1941Kenya.jpg

Despite the known presence of a British aircraft carrier, Portuguese transports continued to try to leapfrog infantry along the African coast, with the eventual goal of linking up with the Italians in Somalia. Other units marched north overland. Mombassa, and the British naval base there, would be the next major target, commencing around the beginning of April.

To the east, Japanese tanks and infantry had made a landing on the Chinese island of Hainan, and were forcing their way north into Guangxi territory. Meanwhile, the Portuguese in Macao were finalizing plans for a new attempt to seize British Hong Kong (the previous attempt having been aborted before it began, being found impractical due to the imbalance of forces which existed at the time).

5Apr1941HongKong.jpg

On the 29th of March, after a number of days of bombing by Portuguese tactical bombers, an amphibious invasion of Hong Kong was initiated with four brigades of infantry against Britain’s undersize garrison. There was a strong feeling that the British had no naval assets, by then, with which to resist these landings. If this were true, and the invasion were allowed to continue, it still promised to be a long campaign to support the beachhead and allow it to drive inland.

Since the Portuguese had recently secured British Nigeria, sufficient troops were freed from duty so that they could be directed against the final occupation of the remaining Free French territory in Africa – Gabon. This operation proceeded through March and April, culminating in the surrender on 11 April of the Free French command at Lambarene (a theatre-level command HQ).

11Apr1941Gabon.jpg

By mid-April, the Bechuanaland operation was near victory, with a win at Bulawayo. In the north, the Portuguese advanced toward Nairobi and Mombassa. Their progress was harassed by the presence of British naval aircraft, which would conduct limited pinprick attacks. Portuguese air squadrons were unable to respond, as they were busy elsewhere.

16Apr1941Kenya.jpg

In Hong Kong, the success of the whole operation probably hinged upon the combined action of all Portuguese bomber assets – the tactical bombers which had begun the campaign, and the naval air units which had been withdrawn from convoy raiding duties off the Portuguese coast. The troops were hard-pressed in the suburbs of Hong Kong, but were gradually moving forward against lessening resistance from the garrison there.

25Apr1941HongKong.jpg

Back in the Caribbean, the 21st Infantry was taking advantage of an arrangement with the Vichy French to use their bases on Martinique and Guadeloupe as a springboard to attack British Antigua. With the conquest of these West Indian isles, Portuguese control over the Caribbean would be almost complete.

28Apr1941Antigua.jpg

Jamaica still held out, of course, and they still occupied their colony in British Honduras (Belize). Trinidad also remained free and garrisoned.

Finally, after a full month of fighting, the British garrison at Hong Kong surrendered!

29Apr1941HongKongOurs.jpg

The British flag was lowered over the leased island, and the Portuguese flag raised. This fundamentally changed the balance of power in Asia – a sign of complete domination over the British by the Portuguese. This also prevented the Japanese from laying claim to the island outpost in the future, which was one of the fears which prompted urgency back in Lisbon.

In east Africa, by the beginning of May, the Portuguese were advancing on three fronts. The westernmost advance up the Great Rift Valley along Lake Tanganyika advanced unopposed, but slow. The easternmost, along the coast, found resistance from at least one division at any one time.

4May1941Africa.jpg

On 4 May, the 5th Cavalry found itself blocked from further advance by the British 1st Infantry, which was still smarting from combat at Nairobi, but still boasted enough strength to be an obstacle. But just days before, Mombassa had been secured, the British naval base cleared out, the remaining personnel and small craft and equipment captured, and the first tentative contacts with Italian scouts were made.

Now... Before I end this update, I want to give you a glimpse of something. What, I'm not entirely sure. The European front has been pretty quiet since the Yugoslavian and Turkish campaigns, the west being almost completely quiet except for air and naval skirmishes. I happened to observe this, one day at the end of April. Maybe it's a normal day over the British ports and cities, or maybe it's a sign of greater things to come... I'm not saying! :)

28Apr1941Britain.jpg

What you're seeing, though, is that at the very least the Germans have a significant and dominant presence over the southern British isles, and they are inflicting meaningful damage against British ships in port. Note there are transport aircraft there. Maybe they're British. Or maybe they're German...

I love cliffhangers! :D

Regardless of the German advance, Portugal should be very proud of herself! It seems that you've hit a tipping point against the British colonies and they are yours for the taking. Well done! India may be on the radar screen sooner than I anticipated...

Ah! Thou spiteful harpy! Ending on a cliffhanger! I want to know...

Good progress in the Caribbean. Those last British garrisons could look forward to aerial bombardment, now they've proved their worth in helpingto take Hong Kong. Can just see the Portuguese PM demanding more bombers.

The German bombimg offensive over GB appears to be in full swing. Quite an impressive sight!

You conquest of Hong Kong gives you free reign over the far East and no backstabbing during a campaign to take Australia and New Zealand, once you've finished off the Dutch East Indies and absorbed them into Portugal. They may even be a few Free French Pacific islands for the taking, too. You've the option of carrying on the Malayan campaign all the up through Burma and into India.

You've been tearing up Africa. Taking Egypt may need a diversion to take Aden and French Somalia, if Free French and the Italians haven't. A plan to pull the British out of Alexandria is needed, once troops land in Egypt. It's the key to supplying the whole Middle East front.