• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Excellent AAR. Good reading, teaching quite a lot about the new system and inspiring - turns out China is very much playable after all.
Thanks for the compliments.

I think that a lot of people throw around the term "unplayable" too easily. If a game or game mechanic doesn't work perfectly or even badly doesn't mean it's unplayable. While the faction system certainly can be improved upon, it works quite well: it prevents Ming from being a superpower from 1500 onward. In previous versions this was accomplished by harsh economic penalties and such; compared to that, the faction system is much more sophisticated. And the new patches continue to refine the faction system even more.

With that said, I can understand the frustration of many player with Ming because a lot of it is based upon one thing: Ming's faction system requires a drastically different strategy than other EU3 nations. With factions you have much less freedom in choosing domestic slider settings, as for an interesting campaign you'll need to balance the faction influences. An even stronger change in gameplay is the fact that with the faction system you strategy is strongly determined by random factors. Whatever you do, you can get a monarch that will force a faction into power that you don't want and you can't do anything to change that (not even in the latest patches). I can imagine that some players do not like this large random factor in governing their nation. For those the faction system will not provide a lot of fun.

To me, the factions pose a challenge that has to be dealt with, just like the other restrictions within the game. So far I'm having fun with it, although sometime the randomness can annoy me as well.

Episode 17: a new way of playing

I'd like to start with some announcements. From 1640 on, I will play with all the beta patches up to and including the 9 march patch.

These patches change some aspects of the faction system: there are now more events that influence the factions. These events have already fired quite a lot (the campaign is now at 1660). Even better are the "encourage faction X" decisions, which give +5 influence to one of the two non-leading factions for 3 magistrates. While it is difficult to get 3 magistrates while under the Bureaucrats, these decisions will help with switching factions.

Another big chance is the increase in naval maintenance, which is now 12 times larger than before the patch! I've edited the naval maintenance to be lower, 0.15 instead of 0.30, as I don't want to cripple the AI too much.

I've also made Castille green, as its yellow provinces could be easily confused with Chinese provinces.

Anyway, back to the game.

After 13 years without Bureaucrats, I need to build quite a lot: 20 provinces are without level 1 forts, so I start building them en masse.

In 1642 Government tech has reached level 30, so I get to choose the 7th National Idea. I get Cabinet, as I consider that one of the strongest National Ideas. A yearly -1 Infamy reduction is huge, especially now with Divine Wind, giving either diplomatic flexibility or the chance for outright brutal conquest.

1642-02-10Wales.png

Also, Wales is annexed by the Ottoman empire. Not a problem for us, as I can also get military access from them, securing my attack base against Great Britain.

1643-03-04Europe.png

This is the current situation in Europe. Notice the new green for Castille, we will see that more in the future. Once great Lithuania is now drastically reduced in size and power, while the Golden Horde has grown huge. The Ottoman empire, despite its conquest of Wales, is pretty much a second-rate power now.

In 1643, I get another free slider move and slide towards free subjects, weakening the Bureaucrats a bit. As slider event I get better adminstration, which reduces inflation by 2%. Nice.

In the elections in November I choose to back the military guy.

1643-11-28yuyuansong.png

Ahhh.

Excuse me for a moment.

Muahahahahahaha!!!

Next episode: the early years of Song's reign

I just wanted to drop by and say what a fantastic AAR this is, and very educational. I usually only follow gamplay AARs (with very, very few exceptions), and your AAR is exemplary. Very well done.

And now, I think I'll need to play a Ming DW game! :)
I am flattered and honoured that you find this AAR exemplary. Thank you, safferli.

I'm glad this goes on to cover new events from the beta patches! That 9/9/9 monarch, that's amazing even for a republic.

Is there any chance to get a sneak peak at your sliders at this point?

Episode 18: the early years of Song's reign

As there can be no better leader than Song, it's pointless to have elections, so I appoint Song for life.

1643-11-28republicandictatorship.png

Song is not only great because his stats are so high, but also because they are all identical, making it quite easy to switch factions.

1643-11-28bgovernment.png

The current domestic slider positions and National Ideas. With these slider settings, both the Eunuchs and Bureaucrats have 0 influence and the Templars +0.25.

It's easy to transform an administrative republic into a republican dictatorship (-1 stability), but difficult to reverse it (-4 stability). But we worry about that later. We have wars to fight! In 1644 Bengals calls us to arms against Bihar for the 321st war of Biharian agression. I send the troops to deliver another asskicking. In July there is cheating at examinations and I blame a Bureaucrat, leading to a -6 Bureaucrat influence.

1645-03-03encouragetem.png

In March 1645 I encourage the Temple faction and with success, as they take over.

faction_take_over_bur_tem.png

So I turn my attention to North America:

1645-03-04Northamerica.png

It seems that there are still Indian nations left. Why the European didn't annex them will always remain a mystery, but I intent to own all of North America, so the natives are out of luck. In March 1645 I declare a war of colonial conquest on the Cherokee. Unfortunately, their allies the Shawnee and the Iroquois join them. This means that I have to wait for years until I can conquer them as well.

Japan apparantly thinks that the wars with Bihar and Cherokee distract me enough for them to make their move. They declare war upon our ally Aayutha, who calls us to arms. Sigh.

1645-05-19newstatusquoinasia.png

In May Bihar has once again been humbled and I force them to release Manipur. In July I get a architectural developments, in which I choose to slide +1 towards Narrowminded. Why? So I can enact the "Anti-christian Edict", which gives me a yearly +0.5 missionaries in exchange for a 5% stability increase cost. As there are many provinces to be conquered, I need all the missionaries I can get.

So in December I annex Cherokee, rasing my Infamy to 7.4. Directly thereafter I manage to get a white peace with the Iroquois and Shawnee. But there is to be no peace in the Americas, yet.

As our colonial border with Great Britain has greatly increased with the annexation of the Cherokee, the time is right to declare colonial war upon the British. In February 1646 with four spies I manage to infiltrate the British government. I find that they have no troops in the Americas and about 50.000 troops in the British Isles. The remaining 60.000 troops are most likely stationed in mainland Europe, as they are fighting a major war with the Holy Roman Empire and Austria.

I reinforce the troops stationed in Ottoman Wales so that their strength matches the British home guard. In September I sign a white peace with Japan. In May 1647 the expeditionary forces in Wales are strong enough to make my move.

1647-05-04GBbeforethestorm.png

I have two battle corps, 3th and 9th. The 3th corps has 4 cavalry regiments, 8 infantry and 8 artillery, 9th has 2 cavalry, 4 infantry and 4 artillery regiments. One assault corps, 4th corps, has 20 infantry regiments. In North America a battle corps and an assault corps are at the borders. I declare war and the soldiers cross the borders.

1647-05-29GBbattleofGloucestershire.png

The first battle is a devastating victory for me, destroying almost half of the British home guard. The assault corps does what it does best and conquers Oxfordshire next.

1647-07-22GBbattleofDerby.png

The second decisive battle is in Derby, where 3th corps defeats most of the remaining British troops. I order 3th corps to chase the fleeing troops.

1647-08-18GBbattleofLancashire.png

In Lancashire another blow is struck against the main enemy army. The assault corps has captured two more provinces in the meantime.

1647-08-31GBbattleofCumbria.png

In Cumbria the last remains of the 52.000 strong home guard is annihilated. In less than four months Great Britain is rendered helpless.

1647-11-02GBaftermath.png

After the assault of Lincoln, 4th corps is exhausted and must retain morale to continue. Nevertheless, 4th corps has managed to capture 8 provinces and 9th corps 1 province in 180 days, averaging 20 days per province. As you can see, also against advanced enemies assaulting works very well if you have large infantry armies.

I continue conquering provinces and capturing all of British neighbouring colonies.

1648-01-23peacewithGB.png

In January 1648 I negotiate peace with GB, gaining 7 colonies and Cornwall, making this one of the shortest wars yet.

Song's rule for life was a given. Such a skilled man deserves the driving seat. His mother said so.;)

It's a gutsy move to land in England.

Song's rule for life was a given. Such a skilled man deserves the driving seat. His mother said so.;)
Yes, I'm sure his mother was the main factor in Song's grap for power.
[falsetto] My little boy is the smartest and handsomest man in the world! Give him absolute rule or there will be trouble for you youngsters![/falsetto]

Oh my, such a blizkrieg or whatever it would be called in Chinese. With a 9-9-9 ruler is there any threat your mighty nation might fear?
No, nothing. ALL SHALL BOW DOWN TO SONG!

That was really nice, your borders are starting to shape up.
If you include shapeless as a shape, then I agree with you ;)

It's a gutsy move to land in England.
"Don't fight a land war in England"?

What would be gutsy is to move my fleets out of port during a war with GB. The second my Wales-stationed transport fleet sailed out, the mighty main fleet of the British was on its way, so I bravely ducked back inside again. Basically I don't dare to transport any troops during British wars. Luckily they were so nice not to conquer all of Britain.

How big is Royal Navy anyway? With the last beta they shouldn't be that awesome, even at 0.15...

How big is Royal Navy anyway? With the last beta they shouldn't be that awesome, even at 0.15...

In 1648, after the end of the war and 8 years after applying the latest patches, the numbers are:

Big Ships: GB 90, Chine 51
Small Ships: GB 4, China 24
Transports: GB 44, China 20
Galleys: GB 3, China 0.

The other naval powers are France and Castille, each having about 20 Big Ships and about 40 Small Ships. Vijayanagar has 14 Big Ships and little else, Venice has 11 Big Ships and 22 Small Ships. The rest of the world has negligible naval forces.

Nobody has transports, or you're just not reporting them? That would strike me as quite a bug.

Ho no, not a dictatorship! I thought there was a way to reelect that Song until his death. Too bad for democracy. And your intervention in England is really outrageous. You are bullying a country that view itself like a great power and threatening its stability, using your power to... Wait a minute, that is exactly what happened with China in the real history. Revenge can be sweet, but I don't recommend it in the real life, even if I fell for it in this game...

Nobody has transports, or you're just not reporting them? That would strike me as quite a bug.
GB has 44, Castille has also something like 40 and France and some others have 20-something. The A.I now invades left and right, they certainly have transports!

In general, I feel the A.I has been greatly upgraded. Rebels now assault provinces!

Ho no, not a dictatorship! I thought there was a way to reelect that Song until his death. Too bad for democracy. And your intervention in England is really outrageous. You are bullying a country that view itself like a great power and threatening its stability, using your power to... Wait a minute, that is exactly what happened with China in the real history. Revenge can be sweet, but I don't recommend it in the real life, even if I fell for it in this game...
Of course I can just re-elect Song every election, but why should I? He´s a Napoleon-Augustus-Louis XIV level monarch. And it´s still a democracy: it´s just that the electorate has been reduced to Song. Besides, the Imperialism Casus Belli is just too good to pass on.

And regarding Great Britain....

this is just the beginning.

I am impressed and inspired by your China campaign. Taking the war to the British was a bold and audacious move. Well done!

Episode 19: Song's musical chairs

In 1648 I slide two steps towards defensiveness through events. I also encourage the Eunuchs, resulting in their takeover.

faction_take_over_tem_eun.png

However, the Temple Faction has a higher influence from the domestic sliders than either the Eunuchs or the Bureaucrats, so in about six months the Templars take over.

faction_take_over_eun_tem.png

The same happens in 1649.

In 1650 the truce with Shawnee ends, so I declare colonial conquest upon them, after which the Iroquois join the war. I also encourage the Eunuchs again, leading to a six month rule by them before control is regained by the Templars.

In 1651 a crack-down on heresy happens, which leads to -5 influence to the Templars.

In July I sign a white peace with the Iroquois. This is good, as this means that I can declare war on them quicker. In August I manage to convert Cornwall after only three years of missionary pressure.

In January 1652 I once again encourage the Eunuchs, as there is no event happening to help me.

The reason why I conduct this nausea-inducing Templar-Eunuch musical chairs is that this way I can send merchants and colonists. Unfortunately the Templars have more influence than the Eunuchs, so the Templars regain power quickly, forcing me to repeat the whole process time and time again.

The next month I annex Shawnee, costing 7.2 Infamy resulting in a 12.2 Infamy total. I destroy the Pennyrile Centre of Trade immediately, as I believe the less CoTs the better.

1652-03-30ConfucianEngland.png

In March I create Confucian England as a nice alternative government for the English people. Soon after that the Templars take over again.

In August I get the magnificent advisor event, which can give +2 stability. I use this opportunity to switch the "Patron of the Arts" National Idea to "Scientific Revolution". I have enough Fine Arts academies and other sources to get cultural tradition and no real need to change the Innovativeness/Narrowminded slider anymore. "Scientific Revolution" is one of the stronger economical National Ideas, a good pick at this stage.

In January 1653 I declare Colonial war upon Great Britain. Problem is that GB is also at war with Venice, which has control over a couple of British colonies. There is only one quick way to settle this. In September I escalate the war and declare Colonial War upon Venice. They are soon joined by Castille, who become the new alliance leader. As Castille is allied with Austria, they join as well. Surprisingly, Bohemia also joins the alliance, although they are not allied with either Venice or Castille. Perhaps because Bohemia is Defender of the Catholic Faith that they could join the alliance? So who are at war with us?

1653-09-15Europeisnotgladwithus.png

Oh, that doesn't look good, does it? But don't worry; although half of Europe is at war with me, the reality is that besides Great Britain, the combined fleet of my enemies is much weaker than my fleet: only 16 Big Ships against my 45. Also, Austria, Castille, Bohemia and the others are also at war with Great Britain, leading to some amusing battles between me and Castillian/Austrian forces on British soil.

In November I have enough warscore in the war with Great Britain that I can negotiate a favourable peace. I get 5 of their colonies and 2000 ducats. This means I can savely transport troops again, so I ship a 20 regiment strong assault corps to Venezia. With my superior fleet, I can land troops in the Venician capital and no enemy forces can retake it as I block the straits. Effectively Venice is for me one of the easiest nations to get a modest victory against, as I don't have to risk a continental landing to get provinces. That's why I decided to declare war on Venice: even with all of Europe cascading into war with me, I can just take Venezia and get a nice peace deal.

1654-03-08Venize.png

In March I control Venezia after a fifteen-day assault, which is quite quick for a level 3 fortress. In April I annihilate their colonial forces, seven regiments strong.

This gives me enough warscore to force Venice to concede their 3 colonies to me. Alliance leader Castille is bought off with 200 ducats, leaving the Central Republic in peace. Infamy is now at 12.2. To provide some contex, my Infamy limit is 24 and I lose about 2.2 infamy per year.

1654-11-12NAafterthewars.png

The American situation after the wars.

In 1655 I give the Eunuchs a nudge.

1650-10-01GoldenHorde.png

In September the Golden Horde appears at our borders! They have conquered their way through our nice neighbours the Oirat Horde and are now invading us. But with a Land tech level of 7, there are less threatening than kittens. An assault corps is sent to deal with the horde.

In December I use my free slider move to slide towards Quality, as I want the Quality/Quantity slider to be at zero. The Templars have too much influence!

In July 1656 I declare war upon the Iroquois, as the truce has ended. To our west, things go swimmingly as well. In May 1657 the Golden Horde agrees to give a monthly tribute of 18.4 ducats. Also, the Eunuchs get the green light.

1657-12-19gildedpagoda.png

In December a new event, the Gilded Pagoda, gives +5 influence to the Bureaucrats.

faction_take_over_eun_bur.png

I start building level 1 forts. In May 1658 I annex the Iroquos, which costs 7.2 Infamy, increasing it to 11.7. I destroy the Mohawk CoT. The last indigenious American nation is no more.

In June 1560 the Templars get the sign to enter the stage.

faction_take_over_bur_tem.png

1658-10-03NAcores.png

Here you can see all of the North American territory. As you can see, almost all of it is uncored, a testament to the quickness of the colonial expansion both by bayonet and by colonist.

As a final remark, I think this episode shows that it is indeed possible now with the new patches to quickly change factions. In 12 years there have been 13 changes, 7 times to the Eunuchs, 6 times to the Templars and 1 to the Bureaucrats. Song truly is a great political manipulator!

Stats

Code:
					change during decade		change since 1399	
			1650	1660	absolute	relative	absolute	relative
No. of provinces	138	172	34		25%		118	219%
Yearly income		7926	8324	398		5%		7.486	893%
Yearly income/province	57,4	48,4	-9,0		-16%		32,9	212%
Inflation		0,0	0,2	0,2		N/A		0,2	N/A
Manpower (x1.000)	504	500	-4		-1%		415	488%
Army Size		140	140	0		0%		101	259%
Navy size		95	109	14		15%		60	122%

Code:
					change during decade		change since 1399	
			1640	1650	absolute	relative	absolute	relative
No. of provinces	119	138	19		16%		84	156%
Yearly income		7.975	7926	-49		-1%		7.088	846%
Yearly income/province	67,0	57,4	-9,6		-14%		41,9	270%
Inflation		1,6	0,0	-1,6		N/A		0	N/A
Manpower (x1.000)	496	504	8		2%		419	493%
Army Size		117	140	23		20%		101	259%
Navy size		92	95	3		3%		46	94%

The army size in 1640-1650 has grown because of the strengtening of the Expeditionary force in Britain. Limited naval expansion to keep tariffs at 100%.

The stats show, unsurprisingly, that a huge expansion in territory has taken place the last two decades. The 1650-1660 stats show the success of the Templar-Eunuchs ping-pong: 34 provinces gained, of which 26 has been conquered and 8 through colonization.

This comes at a price, though, as the quality of the economy has dropped significantly. Only in 1560 was it worse, at 32,4 yearly income/province. And with all the catholic and animalistic provinces gained, stability is difficult to recover.

Next episode: Song turns to Europe

Your AAR inspired me to play as the Ming:D But... I wasn't patient enough to play with the factions so... some modding and... THE ULTIMATE WARMONGER! Goodbye factions, and hello imperial_government.