• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am disappointed to see that so many people hold in their minds the concept that we Whigs are in anyway radical, or related to the Radical party. We are, in fact, the proposers of a compromise between the extremist views of both the Radicals and the Tories. We choose not to elect a king for this reason:

If we elect a king to rule over us, and his rule is hereditary in nature, than we are also choosing who will rule over our children, as well as our children's children, and all of our posterity for eternity. What a great injustice that is! Although the man that we elect to the throne might be a benign and enlightened despot, who is to say that his children will be?

On the flip side, eliminating all of our factories is most certainly not the best way to run an economy! I do not see the country of Burma prospering! Is it not the best to have both the rich and the poor, and not simply the poor? But, of course, the rich must earn their money, and not gain it simply by being part of a noble bloodline that they are not worthy to have!

And, to thoroughly discredit the cited quote, I shall combat it with a quote of my own " We always have been, we are, and I hope that we always shall be, detested in France. "

I do believe your arguments were dealth with by Cromwell, and are a remnant of a bygone era. The Tory's do not promise the return of a tyrannical monarch, but the rule of the land by Parliament. History has shown us, however, that those nations which remove their monarchy for a republic, do inevitably enter a decline in power (as has happened here in Britain!). Parliament and monarch together, parliament first in matters of internal policy, monarch first in matters of state...this is the way forward in this brave new century!

Vote Tory!

Last edited:
I do believe your arguments were dealth with by Cromwell, and are a remnant of a bygone era. The Tory's do not promise the return of a tyrannical monarch, but the rule of the land by Parliament. History has shown us, however, that those nations which remove their monarchy for a republic, do inevitably enter a decline in power (as has happened here in Britain!). Parliament and monarch together, parliament first in matters of internal policy, monarch first in matters of state...this is the way forward in this brave new century!

Vote Tory

Countries with monarchies eventually decline as well. Is this not exemplified by the failure that was the American Revolution, or the very fact that we had a second Civil War which ended with almost all of the empire either becoming independent or falling to other powers, and the fate of the monarchy hanging in the balance? Or the fact that France entered into an era of decline after the failure of the Seven Years War, which ultimately cultivated in the downfall of the Bourbon monarchy and the rise of radicalism and Napoleon? Or perhaps the failures of Spain as of late, which has cost them both almost all of their American colonies and their stability at home?

Last edited:
Vote Tory

Would you please stop bolding stuff like that? It'll just end up confusing people during the vote count. Please reserve bolding, especially of party names, for actual votes.

Tell me now, you Tories, how your magnificent plan will succeed. You will support failing industries with money that you do not have, cut the taxes to ensure a lowered income to spend on such matters, and an increased tariff as to make factories unable to obtain the now-foreign raw materials which they need. When this is done, you will increase the size of the British army, paying them with the money that you have yet to obtain, and which you have already spent. How will this work?

Taxes must be maintained, and must weight heaviest upon the shoulders of the richest - Never shall the weakest carry the heaviest load. Trade must be free; while protectionism may have worked during our so-called golden age, espousing it now would be completely absurd.

The Time for the Freedom of Man has come! Vote for the Radicals! Vote for a Bright Future!

ATTACK, will you be replacing the flag of the UK with the flag of Britain (as in removing the Irish saltire)? I would assume so, since Ireland isn't part of the union anymore, but I thought I'd ask.

The Tory's do not promise the return of a tyrannical monarch, but the rule of the land by Parliament.

To be blunt...why do we need a king if we already have a Parliament? It seems that if the Parliament is the primary governing body, we wouldn't really need a secondary one in the form of a monarch.

To be blunt...why do we need a king if we already have a Parliament? It seems that if the Parliament is the primary governing body, we wouldn't really need a secondary one in the form of a monarch.

Indeed; this is what I've been saying the whole time. If we get a "strong" king, then there's too much risk of an abuse of power (like I asked before, what if the king is Lord North?); if we get a "traditional" king (one that doesn't play much of role in government), then having that king will be completely useless, and if anything will simply be a drain on taxpayer money to allow the monarch to have his luxuries (which the common people have to get through hard work and effort, as opposed to simply being born with it).

It seems that we Whigs and you Radicals share a common ground. Might that common ground might be the basis of a coalition?

I would hope so, my fellow republican, if it ment seeing the monarchist fools who got us into this mess in the first place being kept out of power.

The coalition has always been in the cards.

So long as the Conservative party does not gain a majority itself, Great Britain shall have no monarch, and much rejoicing shall be had throughout the realm.

Has the Executor already voted?

PLease don't bold thing like ''vote Tory'' if you already have. It confuses me, in fact I actually put that down as a vote there. :eek:o

My apologies. The error has been fixed...

Moonstruck said:
Tell me now, you Tories, how your magnificent plan will succeed. You will support failing industries with money that you do not have, cut the taxes to ensure a lowered income to spend on such matters, and an increased tariff as to make factories unable to obtain the now-foreign raw materials which they need. When this is done, you will increase the size of the British army, paying them with the money that you have yet to obtain, and which you have already spent. How will this work?

Taxes must be maintained, and must weight heaviest upon the shoulders of the richest - Never shall the weakest carry the heaviest load. Trade must be free; while protectionism may have worked during our so-called golden age, espousing it now would be completely absurd.

The Time for the Freedom of Man has come! Vote for the Radicals! Vote for a Bright Future!

Hrumph. You will drive industrious men from this fair isle by your heavy taxation, destroy the food supply by opening up our agriculture to foreign competition, and fritter away our Empire without even attempting to reclaim it.

Your ideals will come crashing down in a wave of reality, my young friend. Embrace the way things have always been done. For therein lies stability and prosperousness!

[Stands aside]
I will now await the election, since I don't think the thread needs to be cluttered with useless campaigning by ideologues 'defending' their political religion.[/Standing aside]

So, has the returning officer a verdict?

France was a republic, it was the republic of Liberty, Equality, Fraternity or Death. Do you want Britain to follow these footsteps? Do you want Britain to lose its place as a great power? Do you want Britain to fall to factionalism and radicalism?

If not Vote Torries! Restoring the Monarchy is a proven way to restore stability and put Britain back on track.

(Also we might be able to get a custom flag with the different monarchs that could reign) (which gets me to another question, at some point could we vote for flags? :D? )

I'm torn. On the one hand, the Conservatives' firmer hand in economic policy might be desirable after such a period of upheaval and chaos. On the other hand, they wish to restore the hated monarchy. I feel a Republic is the only way forward.

That leaves me with a choice between the Radicals and the Whigs. Their economic policies are much the same, and I feel would do well in the long term, but recovery might be slow to start. However, the Radical insistence that our military is large enough to protect us might be naive, wishful thinking in this dangerous world. That's a negative, but a positive: they wish to strengthen ties with our American cousins. I feel that relationship must needs be fostered.

Yet, in the end, my decision rests upon this fact: in trying times the ship of state requires an even keel. The Whigs' path of moderation and compromise is what Britain needs.

My vote is cast for the Whigs.

A glorious empire? You call a country where children, children, are forced to work like slaves, where rich men grow richer of his factory's profits, leaving his workers to starve to death in the stink and squalor of London's slums, where orphans are sent to the hellish workhouse, where peaceful protestors are massacred by the Army that is supposed to protect them and their country, where laws are delibrately passed to drive the price of corn up, a glorious empire! If that is the british Empire, then I say this!
Imperii Britannici delenda est!

OOC: Stop saying King and Country, it was said by crusty old conservative dukes just before they charged in to battle a couple of decades before this timeframe.

I don't belive it was right to have child labor or any of the sort. But as history shows, we will overcome this. But radicles are just as bad! They are saporters of Lazeir Frei or how ever you say it, they arn't against the capolists, THEY SAPORT THEM!! So tell me, are tey truly as great as you belive or are they just another tortarian state? Will they be as demacratic as any so called sececful revalution, or will they be like the Terror of France? Or Nazi Germany? Or The Soviet Union! How many constitutionol Monarchys were alright? MOST!!! How many republics had gone wrong? MANY!!!!!! So I dare you, besides what happened in Italy which wasn't the monarchy's foult realy. GIVE ME AN EXAMPLE OF A CONSTITUANAL MONARCHY GOING TOLTARIAN!!! AND COMPARE IT WITH HOW MANY OF YOUR PRECIUS REPUBLICS WENT WRONG!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.