• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Yuan dynasty again? Historically, the Yuan Dynasty in the 13th century was basically the eastern Mongol Empire with a Khan ruling it - we can't have that in a Chinese empire! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Episode 10: End of an age

Youyi starts his dynasty with much energy, although with a Legitimacy of 20 we will be stuck in Mandate Lost for quite a while. Nonetheless, the war against Manchu and friends goes well, with Tibet surrendering in 1554, ceding Amdo to us. We have a core on Amdo, so we're completely in our right to gain it.

Also, Longqing Yuan becomes the new heir, cementing the Yuan dynasty even more. The year end with the Bureaucrats regaining power, after 10 years of being sidelined.

1554-02-10bureaucratsinpower.png

The war continues, in august 1554 Shan is defeated. We force-convert Shan to Confusianism and make them our vassal, our first. We also force Manchu to cede Yakesa and Haixi.

1555-17-08Manchupeace.png

In september we have another slider move which we use to slide towards Free Trade.

In 1558 the Government is changed to Administrative Monarchy. Also, Xiamen defects to us, permanently this time.

The year 1559 will go into the history books. Youyi's heir Longqing dies, leaving the young Yuan dynasty dangerously weak. With an appalling Legitimacy and low stability, the Factions take over and declare the Republic!

1559-04-11Riseoftherepublic.png

Some of your might be surprised I turned republic, but if you think about it, with the Faction system it's almost mandatory to have a republic.

With a republic, we have three big advantages. First, we change monarchs quickly. Well quicker, even compared to Ming monarchs. We want to change Factions as quickly as possible and changing monarchs helps with this. Second, we have some control on which monarch stat, ADM, MIL or DIP, will be highest. If we want war, we select a military candidate, if we want to build, we select a administrative candidate, etcetera. This is not foolproof, as sometimes a candidate has a higher stat other than his main stat, but at least it's better than a monarchy. Third, we have no longer a Legitimacy to worry about, making maintaining the Mandate of Heaven easier.

In almost all my games, I prefer monarchy, as high Legitimacy gives nice benefits over a republic and it feels more historical, but I feel that with the faction system I really need to have a republic in order to change factions quickly.

Of course, with House Ming permanently out of power, our nation needs some cosmetic changes:

1559-04-11bChina.png

Stats

This will be the last reign statistics, as it would be a bit silly to have each stat update cover 4 years.

Code:
The reign (1553-1559) of Youyi Yuan

Current value		Change during reign		Change since 1399
Provinces		63			+4 (+6.8%)			+9 (+16.7%)
Yearly income		2137 ducats		+345 ducats (+19.3%)		+1299 ducats (+155.0%)
Yearly income/province	33.9 ducats		+3.55 ducats (+11.7%)		+18.4 ducats (+118.6%)
Inflation		1.7%			-0.1%	 			1.6%
Maximum manpower	157K			+26K (+19.9%)			+72K (+84.7%)
Army (inf/cav/art)	60 regiments (50/10/0)	+4 (+7.1%)			+21 (+53.9%)
Navy (B/S/g/t)		51 ships (38/0/0/13)	0				+2 (+4.1%)

Next episode: Rise of the republic

Last edited:
Cool i like he tag change.
To be clear, our nation still has the MNG tag so that events, the factions etcetra work as before. All I did was changing the name, colour and shield.

I was expecting the change of government to do away with the whole faction thing. Does anything?
Nope. As Ming you will always have the factions, there is no way to get rid of them. That´s why I strife to balance the factions, so that I can minimize their negative impact.

Nope. As Ming you will always have the factions, there is no way to get rid of them. That´s why I strife to balance the factions, so that I can minimize their negative impact.

Thank for the info. I've thought that factions are for Ming linked to the Celestial knightdom Gov. type.

I find it odd you can keep the Mandate of Heaven as a republic. I take your reasoning, but it feels sad the most successful way to play Ming is to turn republic.
I know what you're saying but yes, going republic makes the game so much easier and dynamic under factions that it's a much better choice than monarchy. You could see the Mandate of Heaven as the Mandate of the People while being a republic.

Could you show us your new flag? Is it dragon? :cool:
Of course, I'll show it when I get home. And yes, it's a dragon. If we go ahistorical, we should go ahistorical in style 8)
*EDIT* There ya go.

Chinaflag.png

Last edited:
I've just looked at the 5.1 Beta patch and I spotted one big change that makes the strategy followed in this AAR obsolete:

Johan said:
- China can no longer get conquistadors or explorers unless the eunuchs are in power.

I sent the first explorer out in 1489, while the Eunuchs only rose to power in 1544. With 5.1 it's much more difficult for Ming to Westernise. So in 5.1 it's much more important to increase Eunuch influence from the start. Even then, Westernization in even the best of situations will come much later.

Last edited:
I've just looked at the 5.1 Beta patch and I spotted one big change that makes the strategy followed in this AAR obsolete:

I sent the first explorer out in 1489, while the Eunuchs only rose to power in 1544. With 5.1 it's much more difficult for Ming to Westernise. So in 5.1 it's much more important to increase Eunuch influence from the start. Even then, Westernization in even the best of situations will come much later.

What about rising influnce of temples and discovering new land with warmongering to everyone in your path to russia. IIRC you need latin, orthodox or muslim neigbour for the first westernatization to muslim tech group, right?

What about rising influnce of temples and discovering new land with warmongering to everyone in your path to russia. IIRC you need latin, orthodox or muslim neigbour for the first westernatization to muslim tech group, right?

Oooh, didn't think of that. It would be possible to fight through the hordes and sell/conquer a province next to Novgorod or a Russian princedom. I don't know if it's possible to explore without conquistadors through Military Access territory, but if it is, you can from then explore the rest of Europe to get a Western neighbour.

It's probably quicker, as the Temple faction's influence is closer to the Bureaucrats' influence than the Eunuchs are, so it requires less slider moves to get the Temple faction into power.

Oooh, didn't think of that. It would be possible to fight through the hordes and sell/conquer a province next to Novgorod or a Russian princedom. I don't know if it's possible to explore without conquistadors through Military Access territory, but if it is, you can from then explore the rest of Europe to get a Western neighbour.

No, you need to be in a war with the owner of an undiscovered province IMHO, but once you met a muslim/eastern nation you can sell a province to them and gain contact with western nation through map spread.

Episode 11: Rise of the republic

The first episode of the new Central Republic starts in style: with an election in november 1559. I choose to support a military candidate because I'm itching for a war.

1559-11-05firstdoge.jpg

However, we get a ADM 7 MIL 8 DIP 9 candidate, so we're stuck with the Eunuchs for now. Sorry, we have to wait for war.

In 1560 we get an architectural developments event. But now I use this event to go Narrowminded, as I want to strengthen the Temple faction.

1560-10-04NA.png

We also receive the news that Creek has been annexed by Great Britain, further strengthening Albion's grip on the New World. All of the New World? No, one small colony of indomitable Norwegians holds out agains the Brits.

1562-04-05Literatipublishedoncomet.png

Anyway, in 1562 a momentous event takes place. A meteor is sighted! A month later a literati publishes some theory on this celestial phenomenon, but I didn't think it was that good. The Bureaucrats resign in anger, leaving a power vacuum to be filled by the Temple faction.

faction_take_over_bur_tem.png

Mmm, we can DoW now...hey, Manchu has violated our Sphere of Influence. We can't have, can we? So I declare war on Manchu! Tibet, Khmer and Korea join the fray on the side of Manchu. Muhahaha.

This is a good moment to tell you a bit about my military approach in this AAR. I'm trying out something new (for me at least). I used to siege provinces. However, sieging is quite slow, quite unpredictable, encourages spreading your forces (a bad thing) and isn't really effective against high level forts, even with lots of artillery. In this campaign I will use assault as the main method of conquest instead.

The organisation of the Central Republican Army reflects this doctrine. I use corps, independent units of about 10 regiments strong, which will grow larger as technology increases supply limits. Corps are ideally as large as the supply limit of a controlled province with average base tax, so that they can move around without getting (much) attrition.

In this campaign I will use assault corps and battle corps. Battle corps are standard corps designed to combat enemy armies. They will have as much cavalry as possible with enough infantry for Combined Arms and will have artillery in the future. Assault corps are simple infantry-only corps so they can assault forts as best as possible. In my experience assaults on equal-tech enemies work if you have about 10k infantry per fort level, so for now my assault corps will have at least 10 infantry regiments. Assault corps names have a * in them, so you can recognise them from their names.

So Manchu is the first to feel my new doctrine.

1562-06-06assaultsarequick.jpg

Assaults are quick.

I also declare war on Zapotec, with a Colonial Conquest Casus Belli. I can't let Great Britain have all of the America's, can I (Norway doesn't count). Just in time, as in oktober Buddha's smiles happens to us. I can choose between religious conversion of a province or loss of Temple influence. I choose the later, leading to the Temple faction stepping down after only 6 months of ruling. The Eunuchs now take over.

faction_take_over_tem_eun.png

So now Asia and Central America are set alight by the Chinese Intervention War and the Conquest of Zapotec. Meanwhile Europe isn't quiet as well:

1561-06-30Austriafighting.png

Dishounarable Scum Austria fights wars left and right against rebels and punishers. As you can see, poor Ulm suffers under the Austrian yoke.

But not all is death and destruction. Our first colony become self-sufficient.

1563-03-2Taiwanselfsustaining.jpg

And I formalize the scales and whatnot. Withour Bureaucrats, there is little else to do for our magistrates.

1563-06-07formalizescalesetc.jpg

Anyway, Tibet falls after 5 months of fighting, accepting their vassalage to us. In november the 5th Corps lands in Zapotec. However, due to the large distance from Guam (Hawaii lies far outside our colonization range), most of the transport ships have sunk, taking with them the bulk of the corps. Only 3 infantry regiments land. However, against the primitives this is plenty and in june 1463 Zapotec is annexed, giving us our first foothold in the New world.

While the fighting in Asia continues, we have an election in november. I choose a Bureaucrat candidate as I need buildings. I get a ADM 7 MIL 9 DIP 9 doge. Again a candidate which "main" attribute isn't the highest. Oh well, if you can't stand randomness you shouldn't play with the factions.

The year is closed with the vassalisation of Khmer.

1564-04-10SEAsiawaragainstmanchu.png

After two years of warring in the North, West and over the Pacific, I now turn my attention to Manchu's SE Asia's territory and to Korea's main land. As you can see, 4th corps is again blitzing through enemy territory. In Korea things go a bit slower, as the path to Korea's remaining territory is blocked by the Minamato shogunate, I can't bring my armies to them. I have a Military Access deal with the Emperor Of Japan, but this does not extend to his shogun apparantly. The transport fleet has to help out.

Luckily, the cabinet has heated debates, which gives use the option to lose 3 infamy, lowering it to 12. To spoil this good news, Gondwana decides to join the Intervention War against us.

1564-07-06Gondwanajoinsthewar.png

No idea what they want to achieve with it. It certainly doesn't help Korea, which is vassalized the next month.

1565-03-31Manchusecondpeace.png

In march 1565 we have beaten Manchu so badly that they agree to release the republics of Ayutthuya, Pegu and Skhotai, breaking Manchu's hold over South East Asia and instead gives us dominance over the region.

1566-02-16ThesituationinCentralAmerica.png

The 5th corps is reinforced in december. As we can't build level 1 forts, I have to disperse the corps over all the provinces to prevent nationalist rebels from taking over. We also repair most of the Great Wall, as the magistrate unemployment is soaring high. Funny enough, a lot of Chinese territory is north to the wall, so people are wondering what the Wall is supposed to protect. Well, job security of course!

1566-03-17boundarydisputeheilonhjiang.png

A nice boundary dispute happens to us. This will turn out to be quite important in the future.

I decide to look at the current wars.

1566-06-11overviewofwars.png

As you can see, being Dishonourable Scum really makes you a target of opportunity to each and everyone. Apparantly especially the German OPMs are keen to take down Austria. Shame that it is allied with Castille and Venice. Otherwise they might have had a snowball's chance in hell.

In november 1567 we have completed the reparations of the Great wall, just in time for the third election of our young republic. I once again choose a Bureaucratic candidate so I can build forts in Central America. Luckily, we get an ADM 8 MIL 5 DIP 3 leader! In december the Bureaucrats take over after 5 years of Eunuch rule.

faction_take_over_eun_bur.png

Four level 1 fortresses coming right up.

1568-03-025thNINationalTradePolicy.png

In march 1568 we have advanced enough for a fifth National Idea. I choose the always strong and dependable National Trade Policy. In november we get to strengthen trade even more as we get a slider move, which I used to slide towards Free Trade. The next month I declare the Statute of Monopolies, which gives another +1 move towards Free Trade.

The basic influence of the factions is now:
  • Eunuchs: -0.25
  • Bureaucrats: -0.25
  • Temple: -0.75
We're quite close to balance! We only have to strengthen the Temple faction with 2 slider moves.

The next couple of years see little action, mainly building road networks and building Light Ships for pirate patrols, ending the tumultous 1560's with a quiet dignity.

Stats
From now on I will give stat overview per decade instead of per reign. This makes comparison between stat overviews easier.

Code:
					change during decade		change since 1399		
			1560	1570	absolute	relative	absolute	relative		
#provinces		63	67	4		6,35%		13		24,07%	
yearly income		2044	4159	2115		103,47%		3321		396,30%	
yearly income/province	32,44	62,07	29,63		91,33%		46,56		300,00%	
inflation		1,6	1,3	-0,3		N/A		1,3		N/A	
manpower		161	181	20		12,42%		96		112,94%	
army			60	58	-2		-3,33%		19		48,72%	
navy			51	58	7		13,73%		9		18,37%

Wow! In one decade, the economy has doubled! Who would have guessed republics are that awesome?

Well, it's not the republican form of government that enable this Wirstschaftswunder. First, in 1560 we had Mandate Lost and were at -1 Stability, while in 1570 stability was 3 and we enjoyed the Mandate. Monthly tax income and census tax almost doubled during the 60's because of this. But that's not all.

Code:
[b]Monthly income 1560[/b]
		Efficiency	Income
Tax 		(117%) 		58
Production	(51%)		61
Trade		(54%)		28

[b]Monthly income 1570[/b]
		Efficiency	Income
Tax 		(149%) 		113
Production	(68%)		87
Trade		(89%)		89

As you can see, production and especially trade efficiency skyrocketed, mainly because of rapid technology increase through Western neighbour bonusses. As you can see, Westernization to the Western Tech group is extremely powerful.
*EDIT* I forgot that Administrative Republic gives +10% trade efficiency and the increase in Trade efficiency from the Free Trade slider. So most of the trade efficiency gain isn't from research.

Next episode: generals with silver tongues

Last edited:
Nice update. Nice new flag. Nice everything ;)
But when there's war involved, I'd really like to see your country after it, with changed borders and general political situation, y'know.

It is sad to see a 7-9-9 ruler is not welcomed... :p

Nice AAR...
Well, it gets worse....

Nice update.
Thanks.

Nice update. Nice new flag. Nice everything ;)
But when there's war involved, I'd really like to see your country after it, with changed borders and general political situation, y'know.
Good to hear you like it. As for the overview screenshots, I'll see what I can do. In some wars the gains are so small and obvious that it doesn't add much to give an overview. But I can imagine that for you readers it might be difficult to get the whole picture from time to time, while for me playing the game it's obvious. So far I've shown the peace negotiations as much as possible, but perhaps that's not enough to give you a clear idea of the new situation?

For your information, the political situation is changed by the Intervention War as follows: before the war our only vassal was Shan, a small kingdom between Bihar and China. Manchu has lost some of its homeland to the Minamoto Shogunate, as did Korea. Manchu has however large chunks of land in SE Asia and a province in Indonesia. The status after the war is that Korea, Tibet and Khmer are now my vassals and Manchu having surrendered all its SE Asian territory to the new three states. I now have Bihar, Oironate Horde, Manchu and Minamoto as my main neighbours in Asia. One of the screenshots shows the situation in Central America.

I'm still struggling finding a balance between reporting everything in boring detail and giving broad and dramatic overview that can leave the reader confused. For example I don't mention tech levels and such, as these kinds of thing can quickly bore the audience.

But I can imagine that for you readers it might be difficult to get the whole picture from time to time

Indeed, especially as I don't know the map of SE Asia at all.

For example I don't mention tech levels and such, as these kinds of thing can quickly bore the audience.

As for me, they're usually very helpful and not boring at all. I don't know about others, though.

Thanks for your clarification on the in-game situation.