Changelog for Patch #6 1.3.3.5 - February 1st

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Shams

Corporate Paladin
70 Badges
Nov 9, 2009
  • 500k Club
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Majesty 2
  • March of the Eagles
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Prison Architect
  • Rome Gold
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Dungeonland
  • Lead and Gold
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Impire
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • King Arthur II
(Follow www.twitter.com/magickagame for up to date info - remember that devs/publisher are in Sweden - Central European Time)

Are you playing the game on a laptop? Read this thread.

Patch delivered to steam! Waiting for them to push button.

Thank YOU for being patient with the game!

So the last patch squashed a lot of bugs and we're glad to report that we're getting fewer error reports and the reports we're getting are about a smaller number of problems.

So we're definitely getting where we want to go! BUT that doesn't mean we're done. We'll keep updating the game and improve it as we go along. We will also try to add additional features that you guys are requesting.

If you do post your error report please also include your system specs, otherwise we can't pinpoint the cause of the crash.

Also, there are so many of you posting now that we're having a hard time keeping up. Tweet us if you want to be sure that your message gets through.

Changelog for Patch #6 (1.3.3.5)- February 1st
Tonights patch is a bit smaller than usual, but we've spent a lot of time researching and debugging the issues.

Fixed issues/bugs
  • Fixed jittering caused by avatar move orders persisting on clients.
  • Fixed issue where self shields would get desynced.
  • Fixed so that elementals that weren’t initialized collided with beam spells.
  • Fixed crash initializing a dialogue chain with a dead actor.
  • Fixed crash due to navigation desync in chapter 2 secret area.
  • Fixed “Too fancy for fireballs” achievement sometimes not being awarded.
  • Fixed crash on Chapter 11 boss confuse ability.
  • Fixed so that Chapter 12 boss does not start attacking before cutscene is done.

New features/balancing
  • Added Chapter 1 Text in intro.

Known Issues

• Network uplink bandwidth, while improved, can be demanding
  • Steam attempts to install XNA framework every time game is launched or rare occasion
  • Quitting the game while the credits are rolling will not award a game complete.
  • Mouse outside screen in full screen with multiple monitors will minimize the game.
  • Crash resulting in leaving too many enemies alive in previous scenes (NonPlayerCharacterCache is empty)

ADDITIONAL INFO:

Please follow these general steps and hopefully it'll help most of you.

Make sure you're on a computer that is at least on par with the minimum requirements- Magicka does not support Intel integrated graphic cards!

MINIMUM Requirements

• Operating system: Windows XP/Vista/Windows 7
  • Processor: Intel® Pentium® IV 2.4 GHz or AMD 3500+
  • Memory: 2 GB RAM
  • Hard disk space: 2 GB Available HDD Space
  • Video: NVIDIA® GeForce 8800 or ATI Radeon® X1900 equivalent
  • Direct X-compatible sound card
  • DirectX® 9
  • 3-button mouse, keyboard and speakers
  • Internet connection for multiplayer

We've seen that a bunch of players are reporting that the game is running poorly on their netbooks/laptops. This is because netbooks/laptops don't have graphics cards that comply with the minimum requirements. This is the primary reason why their game is acting up. Magicka does not support integrated graphic cards, especially INTEL ones!

Make sure you have the latest drivers for your graphics card. Visit www.nvidia.com or www.amd.com.

Make sure your have the following installed (should have autoinstalled)

• XNA Framework - google it to find the correct version for your operating system.
  • Microsoft .net framework 3.5 (dotNetFx35setup.exe) - (Link to Microsofts website)

We (devs and publisher) are still super committed to fix stuff that's broken and make sure you guys can have a great time with the game.

Additionally we've also have a bunch of improvements planned and will be patched in as soon as the major issues are out of the way! These are based directly off your input

Keep letting us know if there's anything else we can do!

Thanks again for playing and watch out for friendly fire!

/ Paradox & Arrowhead Team

Additional info can be found on:

Twitter: www.twitter.com/magickagame
The official Magicka Forum: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?496-Magicka
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Magickagame

Last edited:
In chapter 8 I keep crashing while playing with a friend. We played the whole game together with me only crashing a few times. Last night we started chapter 8 and made it deep into the mines and I crashed so we stopped playing. Today we started it up again and after the first stone check point on the bridge I will crash. There's no time limit on when it happens, but it's has 3-4 times now. Sometimes right when the first stone dude shows up sometimes a little before or after. Everything is up to date and I have what's needed to play.

I love this game so much and would love to play more of it. Thanks a lot for reading this and for a great game.

From what I've seen on steam forums this is happening to others. It seems when to many enemy's are on the screen. Edit, this doesn't seem to be the problem. I finally made it pass the bridge and to the lake with another golem and then it crashed there..... Sad face

Last edited:
You have done an impressive job with your team of seven (from what I've seen in videos).

In regard to:
When the choice came between additional gameplay features and optimize performance on IGP's we chose the former.
What would you have chosen in our position?
If optimization would actually allow people with IGP's to play,
I would choose that every time, for a very basic marketing principle:
a displeased customer WILL hurt sales.

Some people aren't too worried about being out $10, but others feel down right scammed.
You absolutely never want this type of thinking associated with your company or product.
Why? Because they are going to tell anyone they can to stay away from your game and/or company.

This thread gives me some renewed hope that we will be able to play in the future,
but you can be sure I have told people to, at least, wait a month before buying magicka;
and that's a logical reaction, not one based on rage,
which you can expect to be the foundation some other people are working off of.
It has only been a week;
you can be sure that the number of complaints will grow substantially.

If you guys, now, put the effort into making this game work for us, you would have people singing your company's praises, and that will improve sales.
It might be a hard job, but you could save yourselves from a lot of conflict and make some more money at the same time.

(Posted on both forums, because this is important information for your business.)

Last edited:
You have done an impressive job with your team of seven (from what I've seen in videos).

In regard to:

If optimization would actually allow people with IGP's to play,
I would choose that every time, for a very basic marketing principle:
a displeased customer WILL hurt sales.

Some people aren't too worried about being out $10, but others feel down right scammed.
You absolutely never want this type of thinking associated with your company or product.
Why? Because they are going to tell anyone they can to stay away from your game and/or company.

This thread gives me some renewed hope that we will be able to play in the future,
but you can be sure I have told people to, at least, wait a month before buying magicka;
and that's a logical reaction, not one based on rage,
which you can expect to be the foundation some other people are working off of.
It has only been a week;
you can be sure that the number of complaints will grow substantially.

If you guys, now, put the effort into making this game work for us, you would have people singing your company's praises, and that will improve sales.
It might be a hard job, but you could save yourselves from a lot of conflict and make some more money at the same time.

(Posted on both forums, because this is important information for your business.)

The minimum (bare minimum) reads a Nvidia 8800 card. There are very few integrated circuits that even come close in specifications.

Honestly, do you really think we should focus on something that never was planned or intended to work instead of building new stuff?

/s

The minimum (bare minimum) reads a Nvidia 8800 card. There are very few integrated circuits that even come close in specifications.

Honestly, do you really think we should focus on something that never was planned or intended to work instead of building new stuff?

/s

I now understand what the problem is here.
Some people are not practiced at imagining things from a perspective other than their own.

Please consider this from "Joe Publics perspective"

♦ Joe Public reads: "NVIDIA® GeForce 8800 or ATI Radeon® X1900"
on the system requirements and thinks: "Well I don't know what any of that means."

♦ (Let's assume Joe knows to search)
Joe's search gives him http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce_8800.html
as the first result;
so he looks at the chart and thinks "Well I don't know what any of that means."

♦ Joe was given this laptop (but wait it's a notebook!) as a gift, so he's not sure about what graphics card he has. "How do I find out?" He thinks to himself

♦ After some searching, he comes to find it's the Intel HD Graphics.
So he does his web search and gets:
http://www.intel.com/technology/graphics/intelhd.htm
Which tells him nothing, so he gives up and says: "I'm sure it will work."
and buys it.

-Alternately-

♦ Joe goes onto wikipedia (arg)
and sees that some of the numbers are lower than the 8800
and thinks: "Ah well, it'll be slow, but I'm used to that."

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Now for real life.

My friend buys me the game thinking:
"He just bought this laptop(oh god he doesn't know its a notebook!),
I'm sure it will run a game like this."

Yes, you can send people gifts on Steam,
this is something you really need to consider.

My friend buys me the game thinking:
"He just bought this laptop(oh god he doesn't know its a notebook!),
I'm sure it will run a game like this."

Yes, you can send people gifts on Steam,
this is something you really need to consider.
You can't change game requirements so easy as you think. Changing the shadermodel to a lower version is ...I don't want to know the time to code that ....
Have you ever been programming?? I don't think so.

And if Jon Doe doesn't know his hardware, then HE SHOULD ASK PEOPLE WHO KNOW. It's not that hard and Jon Doe doesn't has to be a fucking idiot ...........
That really remembers me to the default prejudices about americans - don't know anything, but complain if it doesn't work

Last edited:
Also, Joe can download the demo and test the game performance. Easy as pie.

You can't change game requirements so easy as you think. Changing the shadermodel to a lower version is ...I don't want to know the time to code that ....
Have you ever been programming?? I don't think so.

And if Jon Doe doesn't know his hardware, then HE SHOULD ASK PEOPLE WHO KNOW. It's not that hard and Jon Doe doesn't has to be an fucking idiot ...........
That really remembers me to the default prejudices about americans - don't know anything, but complain if it doesn't work

And I'm not so sure the people in your country would be pleased by the fact that your statement represents them, in this case.

Not everyone can be expected to have the interest in learning about video cards.
This is not stupidity it's ignorance by choice.
While video card statistics might be on your list of important knowledge to learn,
you can be sure that not everyone shares all of your interests.

Anyhow, you quoted the real issue, and yet said nothing about it.

If people can send other people virtual gifts, on steam,
which can not be returned,
steam and the devs will be receiving money,
without delivering a functional product.

"Should haves" don't make up for the fact that this will be seen as scamming by certain people,
until it is explicitly written that: "centrain integrated graphics do not run magicka"

People can say things like "The minimum (bare minimum) reads a Nvidia 8800 card."
and tell themselves "That SHOULD BE enough."

But guess what guys,
all this "complaining" clearly shows that it's not enough.

Adding a line of text explaining that intel integrated graphics don't work is obviously not hard.
Or would that be undesirable, because then people wouldn't be paying for nothing anymore?

It's either that, or optimize the game for IGP support,
or months of comments like these, from people like me :/

Also, Joe can download the demo and test the game performance. Easy as pie.

Are we really going to pretend that the surprise involved in gift giving is no longer a custom?

You really expect that every gift giver will be asking the other person to try the demo?

You feel adding "Magicka does not support Intel integrated graphic cards!" is important here,
so why not on the system requirements? Then you could just be pointing to that.

Easy as pie.

And I'm not so sure the people in your country would be pleased by the fact that your statement represents them, in this case.

Not everyone can be expected to have the interest in learning about video cards.
This is not stupidity it's ignorance by choice.
While video card statistics might be on your list of important knowledge to learn,
you can be sure that not everyone shares all of your interests.

IMHO if you are into gaming, you should at least have some basic knowledge about the mechanics that are underneath. You can't just expect everything to work with the push of a button. If one ignores it by choice then you shouldn't complain. It was your fault for not e.g downloading a demo or asking someone who knows a bit more.

Integrated GPU's suck with all games.

IMHO if you are into gaming, you should at least have some basic knowledge about the mechanics that are underneath. You can't just expect everything to work with the push of a button. If one ignores it by choice then you shouldn't complain. It was your fault for not e.g downloading a demo or asking someone who knows a bit more.

Integrated GPU's suck with all games.

This isn't about your opinion;
this is about proper business practice.

It's pretty amazing that you can read:
"If people can send other people virtual gifts, on steam,
without delivering a functional product."

and then say "It was your fault for not e.g downloading a demo or asking someone who knows a bit more."

I didn't buy the game, a friend pressed a button on steam, and then it was on my account.
So other than me buying a new computer to play a single game, what's your genius solution?

Oh thats right you don't have one, you were just here to state your "honest opinion".
Had you actually cared about the topic and spent the time to read everything that has been said,
you would realize that your post is redundant.

"If people can send other people virtual gifts, on steam,
without delivering a functional product."

I didn't buy the game, a friend pressed a button on steam, and then it was on my account.
So other than me buying a new computer to play a single game, what's your genius solution?.
A friend bought me Metro 2033, but I can't run it on my laptop, pls make it run on a 3 year old laptop or I will complain about that fact in a forum.

It's not your fault. It's not the fault of Steam.
ITS YOUR FRIENDS FAULT!

Deal with it.

Although I respect the option of the devs about the minimum requirements, it's always better to make your game to run on older machines. Big publishers like EA are doing that for better user experience (more copies sold?). For a starter studio like Arrow Head, I would expect the same reaction.

I'm no coder, I have never been into programming, but for me (as a user) it's a bit odd to find out that this game is heavier than some FPS's I play. Visually, it's not understandable from my POV. But again, I have no idea about what's happening under the hood.

Just my 2 cents, I don't wanna flame this discussion.

A friend bought me Metro 2033, but I can't run it on my laptop, pls make it run on a 3 year old laptop or I will complain about that fact in a forum.

It's not your fault. It's not the fault of Steam.
ITS YOUR FRIENDS FAULT!

Deal with it.

You're confusing complaining with
stating genuine problems and trying to get answers.

This isn't about placing blame,
or complainging,
it's about making people like you
understand that people are spending money
to recieve something that doesn't work,
and then are not being given a refund.

Look at it from another example.

You buy your friend a new $1000 monitor,
but there is some hdmi incompatibility issue.

Your friend gives you the monitor back,
and when you try to return it they tell you, "Sorry, you should have known."

At what price range does this become unexceptable?
For me it starts at 1 cent.

after this patch in challenge mode magicks signs don't have actual sign. I see only black background, no icon and no name of the magick i'm about to use. The books still fall through the ground, i think it is only at the center in Havnir arena. But is is really random, the first book almost always gone though. and it seems the graphics got heavier - the menu became sluggish )

it's about making people like you
understand that people are spending money
to recieve something that doesn't work,
and then are not being given a refund.
If you buy a game over Steam, you get the game. You geht the install files and the whole other stuff. Everything you need.
If it runs on your computer or not is not the point.
So why should you get your money back? Product is delievered and fine.

And for the monitor example: You geht a monitor, full working, not damaged, everything is fine with it. But YOUR COMPUTER can't handle it because YOUR COMPUTER doesn't have the minimum requirements (a.e. HDMI).
It's not the fault of the seller or of the producer, it's YOUR FAULT then.

And if it's a gift for a friend, it's still YOUR FAULT because you didn't ask for minimum requirements. Why should you get your money back? The monitor is fine, nothing wrong with it.