• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
one hates to ask if the dog was wearing booties at the time

you seem to be walking a real tight rope between an huge A-L revolt and the UK getting annoyed ... be a real b*gger if they both happen at once

That's when I offer the save to Special Guest Prawnstar. :)

Possibly, having the A-Ls revolt while the British invade wouldn't be so bad: it could create a nice roadbump for the British, as they have to hack their way through walls of corpses to get to the Ottoman armies. ;)

Your astonishingly violent gameplay remains a breath of fresh air. I like the way any possible event can be used as justification to overrun yet another country. :) Although, speaking of that, where's the war to celebrate the botanical expedition?

That's when I offer the save to Special Guest Prawnstar. :)
Sounds fun, I expect I'd actually have to get around to installing Vicky2 at that point. Although Vicky2 also relates to one of my co-workers, a young lady who's a Goth with IBS - not suitable for installation IMHO ;)

Your astonishingly violent gameplay remains a breath of fresh air. I like the way any possible event can be used as justification to overrun yet another country. :)
Real warmongers mainly use the 'Cos I can' CB mixed with the 'F**k em they're annoying' CB

Sounds fun, I expect I'd actually have to get around to installing Vicky2 at that point. Although Vicky2 also relates to one of my co-workers, a young lady who's a Goth with IBS - not suitable for installation IMHO ;)

*snort*

Real warmongers mainly use the 'Cos I can' CB mixed with the 'F**k em they're annoying' CB

There's of course also the "Oh @#%#ing well, I'm bored" CB.

In odd news, last night before going to bed I watched 3 straight episodes of the Walking Dead, and thought of ways to make a Vicky Zombie Apocolypse event chain. With a few feature additions from the devs, it could work...

I love this AAR, but there's just one little problem. Not enough war. :p

What's your BB sitting at now?

And don't forget, the "they stole my colour!" CB... unfortunately there aren't any other pistacchio green countries left in Eurasia... America?

In odd news, last night before going to bed I watched 3 straight episodes of the Walking Dead, and thought of ways to make a Vicky Zombie Apocolypse event chain. With a few feature additions from the devs, it could work...

Didn't Kurt_Steiner do a zombie Napoleon AAR in Vicky 1, he should do a new one in V2, now with proper 3D zombie sprites...

Naggy, having great fun!

Persia is in the way. I presume they are in your sphere, or else they would be absorbed, yes?

Now, there was a comment (Stuyvesant, I think) where he said something about your strategy to keep hitting the Russians for -25 prestige. I must have missed that part of the update -- or else I read it but didn't birddog on it -- so I'm not 100% sure what he means. Are you intentionally declaring war upon Russia's spheremates/allies in order to make them take prestige hits by violating their truce? Or by dishonoring their alliances? Or both? Wickedly clever technique, if so! :D

Rensslaer

Now, there was a comment (Stuyvesant, I think) where he said something about your strategy to keep hitting the Russians for -25 prestige. I must have missed that part of the update -- or else I read it but didn't birddog on it -- so I'm not 100% sure what he means.

I believe his strategy was actually trying to drag Russia into a war by attacking its spherelings (I like that word, it conjures images of Zerglings to me), but because Russia kept refusing to join its allies, it got hit by a 25-point prestige loss every time. Not the intended effect, but definitely a nasty effect. :)

I believe his strategy was actually trying to drag Russia into a war by attacking its spherelings (I like that word, it conjures images of Zerglings to me), but because Russia kept refusing to join its allies, it got hit by a 25-point prestige loss every time. Not the intended effect, but definitely a nasty effect. :)

This. France is doing the same thing, except France has enough prestige that this isn't really a big deal. But in Austria's case, I think it dropped them to 0 prestige at one point.

Enewald: I don't have enough troops nearby yet, so I'm walling them off with colonys until I can get some troops there.

Konnigratz: Good question. I'll try and find it. I think it's over 1000 at the point I've gotten to. A lot of that was having to eat german minors - I'd have at least 200 less if Prussia had formed NGF or Germany.

aldriq: Color-thieving is another good CB. As for zombies, I was thinking all out and doing it via zombie cultural assimilation, but figuring out a way to set the zombie culture so that it could only migrate to a neighboring province (creating a wave effect).

Rensslaer: Forgot to answer your question about Persia. She's in my sphere, so I keep hoping someone will take her out. No one has bit yet.

Dewirix: Yes, a war with GB will be painful. In the Far East, I'm toast, but in the west, I can easily handle her small invasions. The giant coastline choking blockade, however, will probably skyrocket my WE. High WE + globe-spanning empire = Rebels.

Chapter 23: The War of the Botanical Expedition

September 21, 1881: Let's start this update off with a bang.

o23bofsumbawa.jpg

By bang, I mean 'my occupation brigade dies in a hail of bullets".

November 1: Did I say the war with Spain was pointless? Yes. However, Spain got military access from France (since she's in France's sphere), and has decided that just because a war is pointless, doesn't mean you can't march all the way across Europe. My armies, being deployed elsewhere, actually can't stop the Spanish from spilling through the French border and through the south. It is very disconcerting to look up and see a Spanish brigade in Northern Venice...

o23battles.jpg

November 7: France annexes Egypt. Another place for France to amass large armies so they can invade my African holdings.

December 17: Lindi Region is colonized. Austria celebrates by getting a giant wave of rebels.

December 28: I manage to scrape together an army to stop the Spanish invasion - there's this army that gets beaten at Karlsruhe, as well as 42K more Spanish trying to occupy Saarsbrucken. This doesn't handle the sprinkling of Spanish brigades heading towards Istanbul in separate armies. I actually have to strip an army from the Russian/Armenian frontier to protect my capital from a Spanish army that is coming from France!

o23bofkarlsruhe.jpg

January 17, 1882: France and Russia simultaneously discredit us in Holstein. Heh.

February 1: The Spanish army at Saarbrucken is kicked out. They retreat north, and are eventually wiped out.

March 4: South Cameroon is colonized. We add the Dutch Muralewe Region (Borneo) and Singapore region to our goal of Friesland.

Here's a look at the rebel/Spanish situation.

o23rebelsandspanish.jpg

March 20: Some of my recruits can't get out of the Spanish army's way and get beaten badly for it. Yes, that's a battle between Spain and Turks in Croatia.

o23bofkarlovac.jpg

April 2: The Dutch agree to give up Friesland, southern Borneo, and their single province in Singapore.

o23dutchpeace.jpg

April 13: We colonize Togo. In Kirklareli, a Spanish army of a little over 6000 men heading for Istanbul is wiped out.

May 2: Bamako is colonized. My goal is to cut the other colonizing powers off from the interior, so I can mop that up later. So I don't let Stuyvesant down, a belated War of the Botanical Expedition is declared. My big worry are the Austrian rebels - there are still quite a lot of them.

o23dowaustria.jpg

June 22: Kazembe region is colonized, and a brigade of recruits is trained up and put into action right in front of 42000 Austrians in Gyor. Whoopsie!

July 12: Some of those Austrians that killed my recruits in Gyor don't get out of the way before 52,000 Ottomans show up and are promptly beaten and forced to retreat, albeit with disturbing losses. Unfortunately, since my army was held up in Gyor, it couldn't get to Vienna to save the 9000 men there from getting ravaged. The Austrians seem to have a slight tech advantage, which would be worrying if I didn't outnumber them 5:1 in theatre.

August 3: The war of maneuver continues to be a problem:

o23austrianbattles.jpg

August 15: We discover Inorganic Chemistry, and move on to Interchangeable Parts. I want canals!

August 24: The Austrians make a huge mistake in the south, and pay for it, losing their entire southern army.

o23bofvenice.jpg

August 29: Darn rebels. My army in Graz is screwed (to use a technical term). However, as a result, I learn about nitroglycerin, so not all is lost!

o23rebels.jpg

September 26: Battles, battles, everywhere!

o23battles.jpg

Last edited:
The War of Botanical Expedition is much appreciated - balance has been restored to the Force. :)

As far as Austria goes, were you worried about the rebels and hence declared war, or did you declare war en then became worried about their rebels? Couldn't quite tell from the structure of your post.

The War of Botanical Expedition is much appreciated - balance has been restored to the Force. :)

As far as Austria goes, were you worried about the rebels and hence declared war, or did you declare war en then became worried about their rebels? Couldn't quite tell from the structure of your post.

Neither. At this point, I consider my army a resource that is useless when idle. Most of my army has to be in Europe anyway for protection, so I want to keep at least half of it doing something useful. Sadly, Italy (allied with Britain), France, and Russia are off limits, so I'll just whittle everyone else down.

I checked BB: as of March 20, 1883, it's 863.15. As of December 1886 (where I'm at), it's 980.86.

I'm sure Austria has some A-L's muttering in the darkness too. :)