• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hey guys, I'm not sure if it's relevant, but I I've made a bunch of changes to 1914 recently just for personal fun, perhaps some of them will interest you.
Basically I've downloaded 1914 over the past weekend in hope of trying something new to play over the internet with my friend, but while he was busy for the week, I've noticed a bunch of things in 1914 that I thought needed to be worked on before the game would be truly enjoyable so I went ahead and modified a whole bunch of things to suit my fancy. Here's an incomplete list:
-permanently fixed that goddamned German front AI problem (you know, the one where they're unsure whether they want to fight or not because their ally austria is such a big country...) by simply making Austria-Hungary a puppet of Germany early in the game (if both germany and austria are AI) before the war breaks out. It really helped the German AI pull its shit together and there is also no need for off-map provinces either to compensate for Austria's size. You guys are probably going to have to do the same thing for AOD. Luckily it isn't that far from history anyway as Austria really was pretty dependent on Germany during that time.
-inserted a short break before the austrian declaration of war and the outbreak of war in europe. austria declares war on serbia on july 27th, russia joins serbia on july 30th, germany declares war on russia, belgium and luxemburg on august 1st. I think it's neater this way.
-raised everyone's ground defence efficiency to 1.2. Boy did that help give the game more of a WW1 feel! Battles take much longer and breakthrough is considerably more difficult. This makes 1914 the most boring and yet awesome game, as everyone keeps fighting on and on for the same few provinces, suffering huge losses, and barely anyone makes any progress. Note that despite all this I have once seen the German AI implement a successful Schlieffen plan where they went around Paris and took it before the Allied resistance stiffened. On the other hand, Germany now often has a problem taking Warsaw until the Russian revolution kicks in, so I'm still playing around with the values. Not that I think Russia had no chance of keeping Warsaw, but the odds of Germany taking it should be higher.
-instead of having forts appear out of nowhere on the western front, an event pops up giving everyone's land units further increased defense stats in october. My reasoning is that I don't think the western front was really that exclusive. The Eastern and most other fronts saw pretty much the same bitter and almost static stalemate.
-heavily tweaked everybody's AI. As of now, I'm satisfied with the AI performance of practically all major players, except Japan. I just can't figure that one out damn it. Luckily Japan isn't the most important part of the game.
-tweaked the deployment of the BEF, also now involves Britain giving free supplies to France to support the troops (+50 off-map supply production for france, -50 for britain, until the war ends).
-tweaked game balance - gave Russia 50 more IC plus cores on Western Belarus/Ukraine. This actually corresponds better with the historical GDP rankings of nations at this time and keeps Russia from collapsing too early.
-added a couple of evil events persistently giving every nation +5 dissent twice per year for the following things: being at war (simulates war exhaustion, also gives -1 hawk lobby), being at war and having a smaller navy than your enemy (simulates a naval blockade), and being at war and having a piece of your territory occupied by an enemy (simulates defeatism). Instead of spamming ever more units to the front, all the AI ever does now is reinforce the already existing troops while trying to manage that ever-increasing dissent.
-in late 1916 germany gets an event for the construction of the hindenburg line (+2 forts) along the western front. It probably has to be done via an event rather than an AI switch unfortunately, as I don't think the AI can be told to construct forts along the front, only along the peacetime border or specific provinces.
-buffed up senusia in various ways, so it survives all the way until 1917 at least.
-introduced a bunch of new events for the collapse of china and the chinese warlord era, I'm still working on more as there's a ton of things that happened during that time period. Also a few more russian civil war events like the polish-ukrainian war and later polish-soviet war outbreak (no peace treaty options for that one yet, you'll have to sue for peace yourself if you want to :D), and a bunch of other events for various situations.
-persia now gives up relevant territory to the allies so they can fight over it as they did historically (tabriz, abadan, etc).
-removed the "free troops to AI countries" events. I think the game works well enough without them.
And probably a whole number of fixes here and there where I thought they were appropriate. Just thought would let you guys know :)

Yes, I'm interested in. Please pm me (and your stuff).

@all: I will compile a new version for Darkest Hour (not a conversion!!! it will based on Arma 1.3 and old map). Therefore please send me all contributions that aren't include in current version and let me know all major bugs.

Hey, i PMed you the files. Some comments about it:
I've scaled down the bonuses for Russia. It's hard to get the balance exactly right, they seem to either do very well or very bad. Even with the bonuses, Russia is still severely underpowered compared to its historical GDP output. I guess one has to remember that GDP in game terms is not just IC, but all output including resources and stuff. But having said that, Russia seems to have surprisingly few natural resources as well, it consumes way more energy, metal, and raw materials than it produces, which is really odd given that I'm used to think of Russia as a mostly raw materials exporter. In 1914 as it stands, it's the opposite. Do you happen to know the cause of this design decision?

Regarding AI, here are some known issues that I'm still scratching my head about:
-I've tried, just for testing purposes, to play a game with myself as france and my friend as russia just to test the performance of the German AI (on normal/aggressive). It was below satisfactory chiefly for the following reason:
Despite choosing the historical route and declaring war on belgium, the AI actually concentrated most of its energy on the eastern front, consequently throwing the Russian player away to warsaw within the first month of the war, but doing embarassingly little on the western front. As far as i understand how the HOI2 ai works, this behavior is practically inevitable. As long as Russia is a human player, the German AI cannot be told to ignore him or back off for the first few few months and concentrate elsewhere, he WILL be trying to attack Russia no matter what. So invading Belgium is pretty useless and counter-productive in that case. One way to solve this would be to just to tell the German AI NOT to invade Belgium at all if Russia is a human player, but that would mean ahistorical game every time anyone wants to play as russia, which is also kind of bad. So for now I've just left it this way.
-I've set all AIs on op_defensive distribution by default. The description for op_defensive says that the AI will try to withdraw troops from provinces with few escape routes, thus hopefully avoiding encirclement. Yet time and again I see the AI not doing that and instead letting itself get encircled. Does op_defensive not work at all or something? If it doesn't work I'll just set it to normal defensive then.
-The Japanese AI is still a puzzle. I did make some improvements, but it's still beyond me why it flat out refuses to invade undefended islands right next door, yet has no problem at all going all the way to europe to invade heavily defended provinces there unless they are specifically told not to touch them. Tis strange, very strange.
-The British AI still has a major vulnerability that I'm not sure how to tackle. It seems, one can either get the British to concentrate completely on meeting the quota for defending France first and foremost (and only after this quota is met consider sending troops elsewhere), or concentrate completely on defending the rest of the empire first, and only send troops to france once every other front is secure. Luckily, in 1914 the British empire usually doesn't need defending. The African theater is under the French command and the Japanese can handle the pacific. The path to India can be defended by just one division for quite some time. But if the Japanese are to join the central powers or if the Ottomans are to overwhelm the division defending India, or something else akin to that were to occur, I'm the british will respond completely inadequately.
-The French will eventually lose Verdun in one way or another in every game. It's no big deal I guess but it irritates the eye.

Other thoughts: I'm considering making the war exhaustion events escalating - that is, have it fire once every year before 1916, twice during 1916, three times during 1917, four times every year after that, it would force desperation upon the combatants and a quicker end to the war, but it'll be very hard to get the balance right. I've tried doing that but Russia kept collapsing prior to the October revolution. So basically if that was done the game would need to be rebalanced.

Here's some screenshots from the latest two hands-off games.
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/2621/screensave0.jpg
http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/3310/screensave1.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, i PMed you the files. Some comments about it:
I've scaled down the bonuses for Russia. It's hard to get the balance exactly right, they seem to either do very well or very bad. Even with the bonuses, Russia is still severely underpowered compared to its historical GDP output. I guess one has to remember that GDP in game terms is not just IC, but all output including resources and stuff. But having said that, Russia seems to have surprisingly few natural resources as well, it consumes way more energy, metal, and raw materials than it produces, which is really odd given that I'm used to think of Russia as a mostly raw materials exporter. In 1914 as it stands, it's the opposite. Do you happen to know the cause of this design decision?

I don't know the reason why. Could you give RUS resources per cheat and test if Russia doing it better?

Regarding AI, here are some known issues that I'm still scratching my head about:
-I've tried, just for testing purposes, to play a game with myself as france and my friend as russia just to test the performance of the German AI (on normal/aggressive). It was below satisfactory chiefly for the following reason:
Despite choosing the historical route and declaring war on belgium, the AI actually concentrated most of its energy on the eastern front, consequently throwing the Russian player away to warsaw within the first month of the war, but doing embarassingly little on the western front. As far as i understand how the HOI2 ai works, this behavior is practically inevitable. As long as Russia is a human player, the German AI cannot be told to ignore him or back off for the first few few months and concentrate elsewhere, he WILL be trying to attack Russia no matter what. So invading Belgium is pretty useless and counter-productive in that case. One way to solve this would be to just to tell the German AI NOT to invade Belgium at all if Russia is a human player, but that would mean ahistorical game every time anyone wants to play as russia, which is also kind of bad. So for now I've just left it this way.
-I've set all AIs on op_defensive distribution by default. The description for op_defensive says that the AI will try to withdraw troops from provinces with few escape routes, thus hopefully avoiding encirclement. Yet time and again I see the AI not doing that and instead letting itself get encircled. Does op_defensive not work at all or something? If it doesn't work I'll just set it to normal defensive then.
-The Japanese AI is still a puzzle. I did make some improvements, but it's still beyond me why it flat out refuses to invade undefended islands right next door, yet has no problem at all going all the way to europe to invade heavily defended provinces there unless they are specifically told not to touch them. Tis strange, very strange.
-The British AI still has a major vulnerability that I'm not sure how to tackle. It seems, one can either get the British to concentrate completely on meeting the quota for defending France first and foremost (and only after this quota is met consider sending troops elsewhere), or concentrate completely on defending the rest of the empire first, and only send troops to france once every other front is secure. Luckily, in 1914 the British empire usually doesn't need defending. The African theater is under the French command and the Japanese can handle the pacific. The path to India can be defended by just one division for quite some time. But if the Japanese are to join the central powers or if the Ottomans are to overwhelm the division defending India, or something else akin to that were to occur, I'm the british will respond completely inadequately.
-The French will eventually lose Verdun in one way or another in every game. It's no big deal I guess but it irritates the eye.

Please try and test. I will take care of AI when all contributions are implemented and bugs are fixed. But don't stop with brainstorming. :D

Other thoughts: I'm considering making the war exhaustion events escalating - that is, have it fire once every year before 1916, twice during 1916, three times during 1917, four times every year after that, it would force desperation upon the combatants and a quicker end to the war, but it'll be very hard to get the balance right. I've tried doing that but Russia kept collapsing prior to the October revolution. So basically if that was done the game would need to be rebalanced.

I like this idea. I don't understand why revolutions have to trigger in february resp. october 1917 only. I think, if dissent reach some high level, the february revolution should be fired then. Opinions?

I think, if dissent reach some high level, the february revolution should be fired then. Opinions?
That's an interesting idea - making the dates for February and October revolutions fluid rather than fixed. It makes sense of course, but I can foresee some problems due to the fact that the event code capabilities in HOI2 are rather limited (if you compare them with awesome EU3 events, shamefully limited). But it's something worth trying definitely.
Having said that, shouldn't the other countries also have revolution events? I know that the great war mod for HOI1 had revolution possibilities for all major combatants but I don't remember how they were implemented.
Currently, if the dissent reaches 55 in any major combatant, the country simply admits defeat and nothing else happens, while it should probably be more than that.

Oh, another thing you should probably know about else you might be thinking what the hell is going on.
It's hard to test whether it actually works or not, but I've tried to make use of the leader loyalty option in the following way:
The Soviet Russia starts out with all the imperial russian generals on its side, but all their loyalties are set to zero. So, if the loyalty property works the way I think it does, then when the events start firing for soviet russia which switch allegiance of its army units to the rebels and the white forces, the generals who should be the first to switch allegiance are the ones with zero loyalty, meaning the imperial generals will be the most likely to revolt.
I'm still working on that one though, so don't be surprised if you see something weird like denikin fighting for both whites and reds at the same time. (like it often happens in vanilla HOI2 with general vlassov)

Last edited:
some corrections ...

there is a stupid mistake in austriahungary.csv, so that admiral anton haus and field marschall erzherzog friedrich are not working. (open austriahungary.csv with ms excel and you will see - and yes, shame on you, goro). I`m gonna change this and some more incorrect datas in the leaders and minister-files. So before you put it all together to ver. 0.52 give me a pm. I`m gonna put it online, watever i have so far.

there are some questions:
what ist "fengtien.csv" and can i delite some of the "," in this file?
japan.csv: we have mr. Einstree as General-Major in 1977 and dissapearing in 1990 ??
there is a change in the ID in japan.csv: 28xxx to 284xxx - should i correct it or not??

goro

That's an interesting idea - making the dates for February and October revolutions fluid rather than fixed. It makes sense of course, but I can foresee some problems due to the fact that the event code capabilities in HOI2 are rather limited (if you compare them with awesome EU3 events, shamefully limited). But it's something worth trying definitely.
Having said that, shouldn't the other countries also have revolution events? I know that the great war mod for HOI1 had revolution possibilities for all major combatants but I don't remember how they were implemented.
Currently, if the dissent reaches 55 in any major combatant, the country simply admits defeat and nothing else happens, while it should probably be more than that.

Oh, another thing you should probably know about else you might be thinking what the hell is going on.
It's hard to test whether it actually works or not, but I've tried to make use of the leader loyalty option in the following way:
The Soviet Russia starts out with all the imperial russian generals on its side, but all their loyalties are set to zero. So, if the loyalty property works the way I think it does, then when the events start firing for soviet russia which switch allegiance of its army units to the rebels and the white forces, the generals who should be the first to switch allegiance are the ones with zero loyalty, meaning the imperial generals will be the most likely to revolt.
I'm still working on that one though, so don't be surprised if you see something weird like denikin fighting for both whites and reds at the same time. (like it often happens in vanilla HOI2 with general vlassov)

Loyalty hasn't got an effect, sorry.

I will note Revolutions on my perhaps-to-do-list. First other stuff have to work.

there is a stupid mistake in austriahungary.csv, so that admiral anton haus and field marschall erzherzog friedrich are not working. (open austriahungary.csv with ms excel and you will see - and yes, shame on you, goro). I`m gonna change this and some more incorrect datas in the leaders and minister-files. So before you put it all together to ver. 0.52 give me a pm. I`m gonna put it online, watever i have so far.

there are some questions:
what ist "fengtien.csv" and can i delite some of the "," in this file?
japan.csv: we have mr. Einstree as General-Major in 1977 and dissapearing in 1990 ??
there is a change in the ID in japan.csv: 28xxx to 284xxx - should i correct it or not??

goro

Fengtien are leaders of Fengtien republic. You shouldn't delete it :rolleyes:. Don't take care of database. I'm going through file by file, so I will correct it anyway. (The database is somewhat broken. :mad:) But if you want help, please leave a note. Many things are to do. Tell me what you are able to do. And yes, all contributions to me or in this forum.

Btw. Are there any gfx experts here? We need new menu-screens. Please pm me.

Loyalty hasn't got an effect, sorry.
Damn it. This feature existed since the very first version of HO2. I can't believe they've gone through so many patches and addons without making it work.
Will they make it work in the Darkest Hour at least? It can't be that difficult, in fact if I had the HOI2 source code on me I'd probably be able to implement it myself, assuming that it's written in a language I'm familiar with like C/C++/Java.
I guess for now the switch_allegiance command will just have to pick generals at random.

Great news! Are the Ottomans finally willing to attack Suez? For now, they just sit in Gaza waiting for the British to land at their backs :D

Great news! Are the Ottomans finally willing to attack Suez?
That part is event driven and I haven't touched it, I just presumed there was a reason why it was done that way. The Ottomans will attack suez when the British event #56100 fires.

Damn it. This feature existed since the very first version of HO2. I can't believe they've gone through so many patches and addons without making it work.
Will they make it work in the Darkest Hour at least? It can't be that difficult, in fact if I had the HOI2 source code on me I'd probably be able to implement it myself, assuming that it's written in a language I'm familiar with like C/C++/Java.
I guess for now the switch_allegiance command will just have to pick generals at random.

They're going to delete it. For minister it will be used for deathdates.

I discovered a fairly severe bug in the teamvictory event 21998.
Germany surrendered through the november 1918 surrender event, a few days later the game decided that the entente powers must surrender because germany isn't at war with either france or russia.

I've made the trigger conditions more explicit to prevent such thing from happening.

Code:
trigger = { 
NOT = { event = 56999 } #ENTwin
NOT = { event = 21999 } #CPwin
NOT = { event = 21800 } #German defeat events
NOT = { event = 21851 } #German defeat events
NOT = { event = 21852 } #German defeat events
flag = great_war
NOT = { war = { country = GER country = ITA } } #Italy allied to CP, neutral or defeated
OR = {
	AND = {     
		lost_VP = { country = FRA value = 50 }	#Northern half of France conquered
		lost_VP = { country = RUS value = 40 }	#all of Poland, the Baltic countries and the Ukraine conquered
	}
	AND = {     
		lost_VP = { country = FRA value = 30 }	#North-East of France including Paris has fallen
		OR = { #Russia has surrendered
			NOT = { exists = RUS }
			event = 48708
		}
		NOT = { war = { country = GER country = RUS } } 
		NOT = { war = { country = GER country = SOV } }
	}
	AND = {     
		lost_VP = { country = RUS value = 20 }	#Poland lost
		OR = {
			NOT = { exists = FRA } 
			event = 20800
			event = 20801
		}
		NOT = { war = { country = GER country = FRA } } 
	}
	AND = {     
		OR = { #France has surrendered
			NOT = { exists = FRA } 
			event = 20800
			event = 20801
		}
		OR = { #Russia has surrendered
			NOT = { exists = RUS }
			event = 48708
		}
		NOT = { war = { country = GER country = FRA } } 
		NOT = { war = { country = GER country = RUS } } 
		NOT = { war = { country = GER country = SOV } }
	}
}
}

-instead of having forts appear out of nowhere on the western front, an event pops up giving everyone's land units further increased defense stats in october. My reasoning is that I don't think the western front was really that exclusive. The Eastern and most other fronts saw pretty much the same bitter and almost static stalemate.

This is dead wrong and would make a historical ending for ww1 impossible for instance.

"The length of the front in the east was much longer than in the west. The theatre of war was roughly delimited by the Baltic Sea in the west and Minsk in the east, and Saint Petersburg in the north and the Black Sea in the south, a distance of more than 1,600 kilometres (990 mi). This had a drastic effect on the nature of the warfare. While World War I on the Western Front developed into trench warfare, the battle lines on the Eastern Front were much more fluid and trenches never truly developed. This was because the greater length of the front ensured that the density of soldiers in the line was lower so the line was easier to break. Once broken, the sparse communication networks made it difficult for the defender to rush reinforcements to the rupture in the line to mount a rapid counteroffensive and seal off a breakthrough. In short, on the Eastern front the side defending did not have the overwhelming advantages it had on the Western front."

Otherwise your ideas are fairly good.

I think it would be very awesome for next version to port this mod to a new map. But this would need some effort. So I want to recruit some contributors for this. I'm not willing to do it alone. At least 3 helpers are needed. Any volunteers?

What would have to be changed:

- scenarios
- revolt.txt
- OOBs
- events
- ai-files
- resources, IC

Last edited:
first things first for me, i need to get a working 1914 mod out for AOD, then i will concentrate on getting a new map... definetly a go for a future event

not at this time :(

I think it would be very awesome for next version to port this mod to a new map. But this would need some effort. So I want to recruit some contributors for this. I'm not willing to do it alone. At least 3 helpers are needed. Any volunteers?

The whole free time of mine I'm spending to translation into Russian DH add-on. In any case you can take Russian OOB from DH, maiden by me.

Br,

OK, after weeks of promises, here's my work: events, ministers, leaders, fixes... everything is explained in the readme. I hope it's not confusing since, when I started, I had no intention to release it. If I found there's something more to fix, I'll tell Arturius on msn.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/90on9j

Thank you Melkor89. All your contributions all included now. Now I'm starting bugfixing. Soon you will get developers version for betatesting. Seem to be we have to drop map conversion :(.

@kami

I had to change your commands in trenchwarfare.txt. The correct command should be:

command = { type = ground_defense which = infantry value = 10 }

But I always get error message:

ERROR : (Illegal Command Type) 'type = ground_defense' Line = 57 file = Mods\1914 0.51\db\events\trenchwarfare.txt

Where is the error?

You made some minor countries puppets of USA in 1914. But only Cuba was under influence in 1914. I corrected this. The other countries became later puppets of USA. Could you code events for this?

Last edited:
Thank you Melkor89. All your contributions all included now. Now I'm starting bugfixing. Soon you will get developers version for betatesting. Seem to be we have to drop map conversion :(.

not drop just postpone it for a time, i will help out when i get the AOD up and running with techs and scenarios... then working on a common map mod sounds great