• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Duskey

Colonel
7 Badges
Apr 4, 2010
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Heir to the Throne
  • 500k Club
Is it just me or does this event happen a bit too often? I'm finding myself rebuilding a fort at least every month, some months two of them fall and I'm only on the -1 setting. I'd love to go for a completely offensive warmongering nation, but the spamming of this event just irritates me.
I finally buckled and chose to set the slider back to 0, I don't care much for the -morale on the defensive side.

I'd like to hear other people experiences about how often the event fires for you and whether you just can't be arsed either.

Hm, that decision never bothered me. It's been a while since I played offensive, but isn't the option to go +1 defensive or lose a fort? I typically end up having gone +5 defensive by around 1700 anyway unless I have a really good reason not to, so that event just saves me a slider shift. The morale penalty isn't that bad, particularly if you take NIs to boost your morale & discipline, and you really notice the faster sieges with +1.25 siege and more artillery. You also get free fort upgrades about as often as offensive destroys your forts. :)

EDIT: I think I'm remembering this event better now. Lose a fort or lose £100 or somesuch, aye? If that's the case, it does need tweaking in DW. It still never bothers my defensive countries. :D

Last edited:
Me and Darkrenown weren't big fans of the fort destructions either. I think he changed to something else instead - lowered defensiveness I think (?)

Hm, that decision never bothered me. It's been a while since I played offensive, but isn't the option to go +1 defensive or lose a fort? I typically end up having gone +5 defensive by around 1700 anyway unless I have a really good reason not to, so that event just saves me a slider shift. The morale penalty isn't that bad, particularly if you take NIs to boost your morale & discipline, and you really notice the faster sieges with +1.25 siege and more artillery. You also get free fort upgrades about as often as offensive destroys your forts. :)

EDIT: I think I'm remembering this event better now. Lose a fort or lose £100 or somesuch, aye? If that's the case, it does need tweaking in DW. It still never bothers my defensive countries. :D

I don't have the HttT beta patch -- but in the last 'final' patch, the decision was either lose a fort or +1 defense.

I agree with the OP -- it was so annoying that I finally just decided to stick at 0, too.

I actually tried tweaking the decision to make it occur less, but I'm awful with triggers and I screwed something up (kept crashing and the error was silent, though the log indicated the decision was the cause).

Probably ought to just comment it out...

I don't have the HttT beta patch -- but in the last 'final' patch, the decision was either lose a fort or +1 defense.

Ah, okay, it's been a really long time since I've gone offensive. That's not so bad, then; those who want that extra boost to shock & morale can still have it without having to be swimming in cash, and I can get out of offensive easily. :D

Honestly, I'd like to see it be tweaked back a bit further, though, for the sake of offensive players. Maybe tweaking the event fire rate back and having three decisions, one to lose the fort, one to go +1 defensive, and one to lose some money in maintenance would do it. It's probably too late to make DW, but maybe in 5.1? eyes developers hopefully

This might be a good opportunity to ask this question, as i think the problem with this event is connected:

If u have a province_event with, say, mtth, 2000, does it make sense to have a MUCH higher frequency of this event happening if u have 1000 provinces that meet the trigger condition, instead of just, say, 10?

Im asking this cuz ive noticed that, for example, playing as French, fully offensive, i had this annoying little event fire only a few times in 1400s and 1500s when my land was France-only, then in the 1700s when i held half of the world, when it seemed to fire every few years.

This really pissed me off, and right now im testing the "agricultural base_tax" giving event modified to a country_event (and then random_owned = { limit = { bla bla) instead of province_event. The idea is to have these events fire with same frequency without any difference to ur county's size, unless im completely mistaken and this doesnt affect the event at all.

Thx in advance!

This might be a good opportunity to ask this question, as i think the problem with this event is connected:

If u have a province_event with, say, mtth, 2000, does it make sense to have a MUCH higher frequency of this event happening if u have 1000 provinces that meet the trigger condition, instead of just, say, 10?

Im asking this cuz ive noticed that, for example, playing as French, fully offensive, i had this annoying little event fire only a few times in 1400s and 1500s when my land was France-only, then in the 1700s when i held half of the world, when it seemed to fire every few years.

This really pissed me off, and right now im testing the "agricultural base_tax" giving event modified to a country_event (and then random_owned = { limit = { bla bla) instead of province_event. The idea is to have these events fire with same frequency without any difference to ur county's size, unless im completely mistaken and this doesnt affect the event at all.

Thx in advance!
well if this is a province event , the more provinces you own the more you'll see the event ...
same chance for every province , but if you have 50 times more you'll get it 50 times more often in average

I eventually got very tired of this event, and so changed my default slider behavior from "offensive" to "defensive". Only then did I discover that there's a corresponding event if you're defensive: Free fort / fort upgrade.

I eventually got very tired of this event, and so changed my default slider behavior from "offensive" to "defensive". Only then did I discover that there's a corresponding event if you're defensive: Free fort / fort upgrade.

Yeh but that one is actually quite great, the other one... meakes ... me... have... to click .... 3 MORE TIMES!!! xD

I don't think that slider actually relates to defence and offence. Maybe if defence increased defence, and offence increased offence, then it would. But it doesn't.
It should be renamed freeforts->pointless general bonus slider.

I don't think that slider actually relates to defence and offence. Maybe if defence increased defence, and offence increased offence, then it would. But it doesn't.
It should be renamed freeforts->pointless general bonus slider.

Or perhaps:

HOLY CRAP FREE STUFF!! <------------> NO!

I just use it as a reminder that its time to go to the ledger and have a building splurge. However I do think it would be better limited to downgrading the higher level forts and not removing the level 1 fort.