• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The problem with Transylvania is that it is too damn big and comprised of too damn many different peoples. They need to have good rulers or else they cannot function. I could seriously see one bad ruler spelling their doom at this point. Also about Transylvania being a medieval kingdom with no hope of survival is true. What needs to happen if Transylvania wants to survive is that they have to modernize. The problem with that is the Platers have no desire in doing so and seem intent on living in the past. I think that a new dynasty had to come to power before anything changes and until that happens, Transylvania will remain stuck in the past and probably collapse. That is what happened to the Hapsburgs. They refused to change with the times and it bit them in the but BIG TIME.

Ahh I see. You almost certainly will be pleased with how things turn out then.

1FOoR.gif

Mood Music

The banners and penants of the Army de Krisztóf hung limp as they were carried past the young Emperor by soldiers dressed in full uniforms. The oppressive heat of the Indian subcontinent buried itself deep within the bodies of those soldiers, but they marched onwards, faces locked in determination. The Empire was back doing what it did best – war.

Leading the army was General Lázár, his left stump of a leg now just a knot of pure muscle as he had re taught himself to ride after losing the leg trying to kill Gábor the Usurper. The cause and goal of that civil war rode beside him, the young Emperor Mihály II, dressed in the uniform of a Marshal of Transylvania, baton and all. They were riding east in early September of 1639, crossing the border into the country of Khandesh, while somewhere to the north the newly raised Army de Erdély, a decidedly Hungarian name for an army composed mostly of Persians and Indians, was invading Rajputana.

Soon after crossing the border the Army de Krisztóf met one of Khandesh’s main armies under the command of Mubarak Shah the Second, the Rajah of Khandesh. The battle would be the first that the young Emperor had seen, having spent the civil war safely away from danger. It was also the first battle he was given command of troops, and in truth it was his men that broke the lines of Khandesh’s army.

They had lacked artillery support, whereas the Transylvanians had plenty, but the Indians had clung desperately to their ground, and it was the Emperor who had led 2,000 Polish hussars around the left flank of the Indian army, punched a hole through the Indian reserve cavalry, and routed the enemy army. General Lázár had been content to leave it at that, a victory as it were – but the Emperor instead took the remainder of the Army de Krisztóf’s cavalry and ran down the fugitives of Khandesh’s defeated army.

7tLhz.jpg

I. A Polish officer leads his company of hussars on the attack, Battle of Baroda, September 25th, 1639

oWU5f.png

The Battle of Baroda, September 25th, 1639

To the North, one of Rajputana’s armies suffered a similar fate at the hands of the Army de Erdély under the command of the reinstated General András Gyulai, and before another month had passed General Gyulai had added another enemy army to his name.

S8tJe.png

General András Gyulai defeats Rajputana’s 3rd Army at the Battle of Kutch, October 24th, 1639
For the large part, the war was an impossible one to win for the Indian states arrayed against the Transylvanian Empire. Some of the best soldiers in the entirety of the Empire were here as a sort of morbid training exercise for the Emperor in the realities of warfare. But the states of India still resisted, even Bihar sent some soldiers west to fight against Transylvania (a token few, as the late Emperor Ákos’ policy of funneling gold to Bihar in order for them to resist the Spanish was still in effect). It wasn’t until the turn of a new decade, in January of 1640 that it became readily apparent that any further resistance against the Empire was futile, at best. Rajputana had gathered together every soldier they had and threw then at General Gyulai’s army, hoping to crush him under the weight of numbers, but the Persians and Indians under Gyulai’s command held firm and shredded the enemy army to pieces.

BfPgl.png

General Gyulai defeats Rajputana’s last army at the Battle of Udaipur, January 15th, 1640

After the Battle of Udaipur, peace was the wish of every Rajah and King that fought against the Empire, but Mihály refused each and every envoy that arrived to discuss the matter with him. Instead he and General Lázár pushed their army further south, sacking cities and burning villages as they went. Lázár would repeatedly question the young Emperor as to the point of such an exercise, and Mihály would simply shrug and say that he wanted to see at what point an enemy simply resigns to defeat, and the entire country gives up all notions of stubborn resistance.

Once it did reach that point with Khandesh in the middle of August, 1640, Emperor Mihály finally signed peace. A wicked and nasty peace, that is. His campaign with General Lázár had resulted in the conquest and control of the entirety of Khandesh, and Mihály was not about to give that up. There were protests, of course, in regards to the terms he demanded, but what else could they do but accept?

UVAPM.png

The Treaty of Baroda, August 17th, 1640

Rajputana signed peace shortly afterwards in September of the same year, but Mihály did not demand the same punitive terms from that kingdom, owing in small part to the rising talks among European monarchs over Transylvania’s rapid and brutal expansionism.

hdYq7.png

The Treaty of Malwa, September 26th, 1640

But the real reason why Mihály did not decide to take territory from Rajputana was that he had his eyes set on another goal now; a far more prestigious prize, as why should the Emperor of Transylvania, the King of Georgia and Milan settle for three crowns, when a fourth was readily available for the taking? And all it needed was the support of a few key members of European royalty and nobility. An seemingly easy task…or would it be?

oieYG.png

zoMxg.png

I. Picture of Jan Karol Chodkiewicz at the Battle of Chochim, 1621 More information can be found here.

Last edited:
I liked that update. Mihaily Seems intent to live up to his namesake though with the excessive violence. This war looks like it will be good.

There is not much to enjoy in Eu3 besides the war.
Shame.
And when the player becomes too perfected in his own art of war, the game gets too easy after the first decades. :(

A true warmonger! :eek:

Very nice update. :)

You certainly have complete naval supremacy, but on land it won't be that easy to beat that insane French cavalry-heavy army.

I have just caught up, my computer and internet similtaniously crashed so I haven't been able to follow. Great job I would like a complete collapse of Transilvania so they were only around Hungary and Transylvania :D

I have just caught up, my computer and internet similtaniously crashed so I haven't been able to follow. Great job I would like a complete collapse of Transilvania so they were only around Hungary and Transylvania :D

That sounds WAY to excessive to me.

Well, well, warrior king indeed

:p

I liked that update. Mihaily Seems intent to live up to his namesake though with the excessive violence. This war looks like it will be good.

Oh yes. It actually starts a string of wars that last for the next 4 years or so.

There is not much to enjoy in Eu3 besides the war.
Shame.
And when the player becomes too perfected in his own art of war, the game gets too easy after the first decades. :(

Idk, I like building up tiny AI nations so that they can muck around on their own, but you're essentially right.

A true warmonger! :eek:

Very nice update. :)

Heh, ty :)

Just read it all and I must say I approve of this AAR.

However, I'm sad I didn't find it sooner. Keep up the good work!

Thank you Vesimir! And I'm glad you enjoy it :D

You certainly have complete naval supremacy, but on land it won't be that easy to beat that insane French cavalry-heavy army.

I think I actually end up losing like half my fleet through poor management, but yea, cavalry galore with France. Eep.

Good to see you back on board. And a complete collapse does seem a bit excessive as History_Buff has said, but y'never know...

Hussars > Rajputs. Tremble, Asia!

Mihaly wants the crown of the Holy Roman Emperor?

By god.

I think I'm starting to like this kid.

Great updates. You certainly have an incredible talent for writing! :)

I'm having some medical issues at the moment, so I'm unsure as to how long it will take until the aar gets back running and updated at a more regular rate. Apologies to anyone who has kept up with it so far, I'll keep you guys posted.

Get well soon, Captain. We shall await.

I hope you get better soon. Don't worry about the AAR, get well. :)