• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
We'll see how the updates continue. I'm trying to find some time writing the updates, between my other obligations in life.

Pride & Providence
A History of the American Empire

Chapter 4: Disgrace of the Empire

Insult

With the rebellion of the liberals of the Mid Atlantic and New England states quelled, the American Empire would begin turning to normalcy at least that was the hope of the ailing Emperor Jackson I. But the minds of the Senate would not allow that to happen. Even with his threat of imperial veto; the Congress passed the Fugitive Slave Law; which any run away slave would have to be reported and returned back to his or her master. Immediately following the Fugitive Slave Law; an executive order, imposing House Gag rule was announced – preventing the Congress of the American Empire from receiving and hearing petitions or laws about slavery.

Five days later, on April 18th, the Senate found itself embarrassed as local and foreign newspapers began questioning the long-standing American policy of high tariffs on imported goods. An inquiry would be established, but the results were pre-determined, the American Empire would remain steadfast in its ways. On May 12th, the national campaign to recruit soldiers shifted away from the Mid-Atlantic because roughly 6,000 odd soldiers revolted during the revolution. The campaign would now focus on more middle-minded population; which according to the Census Bureau was in Ohio.

The world seemed to becoming a stranger and stranger place. On May 21st, the small country of Belgium declared it’s annexation of Tunis; which was close to the French sphere of influence in North Africa. Most American politicians expected a war to occur between the neighbor nations; but when was a question. By the end of July, news reached the steps of the Imperial Residency that the uncivilized China declared war on Burma. China’s territorial ambitions were beginning to creep ever closer to the British Crown Jewel of India

If to far off away wars or soon-to-be wars were not enough concern; on October 17th, Brazil declared war on Bolivia; threatening to acquire additional territory from the impoverished nation. Brazil it seemed could possibly, one day, challenge the American Empire’s interest in South America and the Caribbean. In order to help counter the possible rise of Brazilian prestige; the American Navy would begin a massive construction project of forty vessels, mostly commerce raider type vessels. Sixteen of these ships would be built in the dockyards of San Francisco and San Diego, constituting the First Pacific Fleet. America would soon be a two-ocean power.

nice AAR. I want to see your empire split though for the civil war. :p

*plays the Emperor's Song from Star Wars*

You should be getting a visit soon... :D

More will be coming though. I just have to step away from modding (see World Fair Mod below); and a cold I'm beginning to get.

Pride & Providence

Chapter 4: Disgrace of the Empire

One Last Act

After the New Year’s celebration had cleared, the cabinet of Emperor Jackson I met to discuss the goals of the Empire within the next year. A relative peace had occurred throughout the Empire; except for the brief insurrection of the abolitionist-minded Mid Atlantic and New England residents. The American Empire was growing strong; with an estimated 28 million dollars in the bank; and a tax revenue averaging 40,000 dollars a day. Throughout the land, a relatively high tax-rate remained, with the poorer classes paying the majority of taxes; while the middle class enjoyed more lenient rates; and the rich class enjoyed little taxes; but usually spent their money improving the Empire’s industrial thirst.

On January 16th, the railroad projects connecting the Northern and Southern Trans-Continental railroad lines had been completed. Unwillingly to spend additional government resources, the development of further railroads at this time was left up to adventure-seeking capitalists. While the need for railroads had relaxed, the government willingly kept admitting additional territory. On January 28th, Oklahoma was admitted as a territory of the Empire. Soon afterwards, a problem with the Cherokee Indians occurred in the lands; and the Indians willingly signed treaties that would guarantee their rights; as long as they lived on reservations. Thousands of Cherokee Indians were marched from their lands to reservations; and numerous perished. News papers that found out about the story called it a “Trail of Tears”.

On April 7th, a shocking, riveting development occurred. A second insurrection broke out in Boston. To the dismay of the administration, the revolutionaries had dared to attempt an insurrection with the majority of the 1st Imperial Army stationed within Boston itself! Of the reported 6,000 souls revolting, over four thousand of them were sent to the gallows.

On May 9th, diplomatic reports were received from the ambassador to Two Sicilies; they were going to war with Egypt to obtain the island of Crete. News of this nature was not uncommon; as wars seemed to come and go; and end with little attention. China had recently finished its partial conquest of Burma; and acquired the latter’s northern regions – the former’s borders now conflicting with the British Crown Jewel of India.

In the world, few could guess what would happen next.

A review of the American Empire's budget. 28 million in the bank (28k in game); and 40k daily earnings (+41 pounds) in game.​

In V2, it's a viable strategy.

Pride & Providence

Chapter 5: War of the World

Hell on Earth

“Hell on Earth,” is how the New Hampshire Gazette began its headline article for June 3rd, 1844. “The people of Europe and the world, sparing the Americas, are going through hell. On June 2nd, 1844, the nation of France declared war on Belgium for it’s transgressions in North Africa. In response to the threatening nature of France’s declaration, the United Kingdom declared war on France. In accord with its military arrangements through secret treaties, the Russian Empire declared war against the British Empire.”

The world it seemed would be going through arguably its first major world war between the great powers. The whole goal of all the wars it seemed was land. France claimed its territorial rights and sovereignty had been violated by Belgium’s acquisition of Tunis. Russia viewed its interest towards the Indian Ocean and hoped to claim a chunk of the crown jewel for itself. The most admirable of the nations fighting was the United Kingdom who sought to at least protect Belgium.

On June 4th, the New Hampshire Gazette printed another article, covering the events of the previous day. “The Hell on Earth’s tentacles grows! Spain has declared war against France and Russia, siding itself with Great Britain. Sardinia-Piedmont declared war against the United Kingdom; but not against Spain. The Netherlands declared war on Belgium; to regain its lost territory – never forgetting the Belgian’s move for independence nearly fourteen years ago. Lastly, Brazil has declared war on Great Britain and hopes to acquire its possessions in South America.”

The response of the administration was patience, followed by more patience. On June 20th, 1844, the administration responded to the critics clamoring for an increase in the military budget. Three additional cavalry regiments were to be recruited. The American Empire was in no need for any immediate action. The American industry was growing by leaps and bounds through massive trading with the belligerent nations. The government through various tariffs was collecting roughly one hundred thousand dollars a day. Various nations began heavily borrowing not only from their national banks; but from eager American bankers. Providence showed its grace through the Empire when it was at war; and now Providence was showing its grace when the nation is at peace and others at war.

Other game notes:

• Reduced taxes on the poor from 100% to 80%.
  • Profit from tariffs is roughly 100 pounds a day (mentioned as 100k in AAR). Other income is about another 100 pounds. Average day is 180-240 pounds gained.
  • The AI has gone crazy. (This is the most wars I've seen) :eek:

First major world war?
War of Spanish succession?
Seven Years War?
Napoleonic Wars?
:rolleyes:

I thought about mentioning those; however I let my American bias go in. It's truly not a world war without... [rest of message deleted by censor]. :D

Pride & Providence

Chapter 5: War of the World

The Die is Cast

An ailing man walked up to the podium of the Capitol Building; which housed the Imperial Congress of the American Empire. His oak walking cane barely supported him, but his adopted son, was there to guide him and catch him incase anything ill befell the man. His white and gray hair had not been dulled by these past few months of illness; it still flowed freely and with vigor. The applause of the room was overwhelming; and did not cease until a full five minutes after the Emperor had reached the podium and frailly motioned for it to cease.

“Gentlemen,” he attempted to bellow, but like his health, his voice was departing. The main motioned for his son to take the podium. The son willingly obeyed.

“Gentlemen,” began the son. “My father is not well, and fears he will not see beyond next year.” The Imperial House’s main hall began to fill with a thunderous chant, “Long live the Emperor! Long live the Emperor! Long live the Emperor!”

“My father appreciates the sentiment that his friends and foes both show him. But that is not the reason that today we gather in this marvelous house. War is upon our door step. We, the American Empire have tried endlessly and exhausted all diplomatic possibilities to avoid war; yet war has come,” the Crown Prince’s eyes monitored the reactions of the nearest members of the Imperial Congress.

“The transgressions of the British Empire have resurfaced into reality; many will remember that their seizing and conscription of American sailors during the Napoleonic Wars lead to the War of 1812-1814. Within the past two months, confirmation has been received that two American merchant marine vessels have been seized and forcibly conscripted into the British Royal Navy. Our diplomatic efforts to secure an understanding with the British were quickly rebuffed,” he said in a solemn note at the end, as if almost trying to bury a half-truth.

“It is with a deep heart, and Providence’s blessing, that today, November 19th, 1844, my father, Emperor Andrew Jackson I and I, the Crown Prince, announce a declaration of war against the British Empire.” A thunderous applause filled the room. At this time, everybody was one. Slavery, tariffs, taxes, and any other issue would be hotly debated at this time did not matter, the American people were at war.

Great update. Let's see how you do against Britain! I'm really enjoying the AAR. Keep it up!